Per Benjamin Allbright, McDermott's "seat is warm"

HappyDays

58 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, football is performance based.  Kubiak won the Superbowl with the Ghost of Peyton Manning, Rico Dennison as OC, and "Son of Bum" as DC.  The review was probably a rubber stamp "pass, and all's well".

Next season, 9-7, miss the playoffs with the Broncos 7th round draft pick Trevor Siemian at QB, and all of them got sent to the Unemployment Line.  The Lesson/Watch Out there is that the Broncos are on their 5th different coach in 7 years since then, and only just now starting to sniff at the possibility of a winning season and playoffs again.

My point isn't that McDermott shouldn't face scrutiny or even be fired, my point is that changing coaches is not the panacea some here apparently believe it to be.

until you acknowledge a problem you can’t fix the problem. If we start now, we get extra cracks if needed at finding that guy while we have a qb. The more time we waste scared of trying the less chances we will actually have to succeed.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I’m not opposed to firing McD. I’m just worried more about Pegula replacing him with someone better

Why worry? It's honestly hard to imagine it could be worse with Josh Allen on the team than 6-6 Like even if the coach is just an average Mularkey or Juron or Gailey type those coaches mustered .500 seasons and didn't have a QB like josh allen.

Not saying we'll finish .500 but lets face it we are a .500 team right now and its primarily mcdermotts fault considering josh allen has handed us a lead no less than 3 times in under 2 minutes and I believe he has handed us the lead 'late' more than that even, and McDermott flubs it every time with the worst defensive play calling we've seen in our collective lives.

Edited by BillsFan692

I don't know how any reasonable football observer can make a case for McDermott to return.  Hasn't everyone seen enough? I'm 50 and on Thanksgiving I hung with some 30 and under guts while waiting for dinner. Of course the subject of McDermott came up. I told them that 13 seconds was their Wide Right. Some things never change with McDermott. Time to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the Marv Levy Trap.

Marv should have been canned after 1st Dallas SB loss, because he'd lost his third SB in a row, his second SB blowout loss in a row. But he'd done so well...

At this point, McD has shown his hand, like Marv showed his; he's not the guy to get us over the hump. 

Don't make the same mistake.

• Agree 1

Just listened to his press conference. Get this ***** clown out of town. When asked about the games where we scored under two minutes and lost, he says it’s a problem but conveniently points out it would help to pull ahead earlier and some games there were numerous turnovers.  ***** I’m sick of this. Josh takes ownership for just about every mistake this offence makes and our defensive coach can’t even except the fact his D pissed away games this year in the final minutes over and over. 

• Like (+1) 2

This won’t be what actually happens but I’d go to McDermott and say I truly appreciate all you have done. Thank you for taking us from a joke to a contender. You earned more than the benefit of the doubt…that was the reason you got another look after 13 seconds. Make the playoffs this year or it’s over. I’ll give you the dignity of saying it was mutual or you “stepped away” You earned the PR we owe you a lot for ending the drought. You can announce the move on your own terms verbally…….Make the playoffs or you are not coaching another minute here. And let’s be real, yesterday ended it. So you are essentially ending it just giving him a few weeks to say goodbye.

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Just listened to his press conference. Get this ***** clown out of town. When asked about the games where we scored under two minutes and lost, he says it’s a problem but conveniently points out it would help to pull ahead earlier and some games there were numerous turnovers.  ***** I’m sick of this. Josh takes ownership for just about every mistake this offence makes and our defensive coach can’t even except the fact his D pissed away games this year in the final minutes over and over. 

I watched that drivel.  McMediocre is a coward. 
"Why didn't you go for the win with 20 seconds left?"  "Philly has a scary line"  That is a coward who cares more about not losing than he does about winning.

Scary line?  We have a scary offensive line, that did just fine against Philly.  Instead of being of being afraid of Philly, have some faith in Buffalo!

7 minutes ago, BananaB said:

I think I heard in his post game that he mentioned something along the lines of the offense now sparking and Josh looking more like himself is because he decided to make the move to Brady. 

He wants to take  ownership of anything right but nothing ever wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

B

1 minute ago, Pete said:

"Why didn't you go for the win with 20 seconds left?"  "Philly has a scary line"  That is a coward who cares more about not losing than he does about winning.

Scary line?  We have a scary offensive line, that did just fine against Philly.  Instead of being of being afraid of Philly, have some faith in Buffalo!

It’s like he was not even paying attention to the way Josh was playing that game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

LOL .. dear Lord!!! Did they not have a scary line the entire game?  Are they not going to have a scary line in OT too?  SHOOT ME IN THE FACE PLEASE (only with a water gun though)

Edited by drummernut74
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Virgil said:

At this point, with McD being a defensive minded coach and calling the plays, we have lost all our games by one score.  

If he can’t win with his defense and the offense did their part, then he deserves to be fired.  

What argument is there to keep him?

The argument to keep him is

- second most wins and playoff wins in bill’s history 

- highest winning percentage in franchise history

- 5th highest winning percentage among active nfl coaches 

If the Bills fire him he will immediately land another job and there is a possibility he is replaced with someone worse. Based on history it’s far more likely they downgrade.  But if that’s what the people want let’s go… change is change anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If the Bills fire him he will immediately land another job and there is a possibility he is replaced with someone worse. Based on history it’s far more likely they downgrade.  But if that’s what the people want let’s go… change is change anyway. 

His success has a lot to do with Josh Allen. How many other Bills coaches inherited a player like him? Just curious 

• Like (+1) 1

If I was Terry, I’d love to candidly know what my players thought of McD. If there was a way to secretly have them submit to an anonymous ballot, the question would be: “do you believe McDermott is a superbowl caliber coach?” If the votes come back with 46 “no” and 7 “yes,” or something else majority “no,” then I’d have all the information I needed and couldn’t possibly retain McD because the players wouldn’t believe in him. 

24 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I know another defensive head coach would not be a popular opinion around here...

But Lee Anarumo sounds really, really good to me.

And I think, if he was in Mcdermott's position this year alone, we have at least 3 more wins than we currently have.

Keep Brady at OC.

You can’t hire a Defensive head coach as the next hire.  The problem is, when your OC is successful, they get vultured up by someone else, quickly.  and someone like Allen has to start all over.

Heck if Joe Brady continues to average 30+ pts per game he might get tagged by another club.  You’re better off making Joe Brady head coach and keeping the system, chemistry, personality fit, etc.. the same for Josh indefinitely.  They can lure a professional DC for that side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He took Tyrod Taylor to the playoffs.

Also inherited? You don’t think he was involved in the selection process? 

Andy Dalton took Tyrod to the playoffs.

McD was the guy who, but for Josh Allen, would be remembered for trading the right to pick Mahomes.

As for Josh, I have heard that the guy who was at least one of the primary forces behind picking Josh has the initials Terry Pegula. To be fair, I don't know one way or another as to McD's view of Josh in the draft process. I do know that, since McD has been the HC, the Bills have taken five defensive players in the first round and only two offensive players (Josh and Kinkaid).

Edited by Peter
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Heck if Joe Brady continues to average 30+ pts per game he might get tagged by another club.  You’re better off making Joe Brady head coach and keeping the system, chemistry, personality fit, etc.. the same for Josh indefinitely.  They can lure a professional DC for that side of the ball.

This.  

We could be sitting on the next Sean McVay.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

This might have been posted already:

Wow. Just wow.

Our defensive HC - the one who loves to talk about complementary football and throw others under the bus - should take a long, hard look in the mirror.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Do you think he immediately lands another head coach job? 

I can't imagine an NFL fanbase that would be excited about their team hiring Sean McDermott. It would be met with apathy from many, rage from the rest.

18 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Our defense is so much Sean McDermott that it might take longer to rebuild. The offense would be easy to build around Josh but the defense would be a disaster.

BS, it’s a zone scheme, McClappy doesn’t have some magical voodoo about him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I can't imagine an NFL fanbase that would be excited about their team hiring Sean McDermott. It would be met with apathy from many, rage from the rest.

Yes.

He would walk into a job. Probably Carolina.

They need an adult in the room, badly.

32 minutes ago, Peter said:

Wow. Just wow.

Our defensive HC - the one who loves to talk about complementary football and throw others under the bus - should take a long, hard look in the mirror.

Thanks for spelling "complementary" correctly.👍 [It's stupid, but it's a pet peeve of mine.]

24 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Carolina Panthers would. Hope he lands there tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You asked if he would immediately land another job. The answer is yes lol

Let them have him, it’s a great situation, they need to create a culture, he can do that.  Once he raises them to above mediocre they can fire him too.

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

As for Beane, I would not have an issue if he were to stay as GM. I think that he has done a good job for the most part.

I do wonder if Beane is more loyal to McD as opposed to the Buffalo Bills. We shall see.

Why would Beane be loyal to McD?  Tying yourself to him is a dangerous game.

25 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

BS, it’s a zone scheme, McClappy doesn’t have some magical voodoo about him.

What he does do is run a system then customized personnel to it over years. 

Bernard isn’t a starting MLB in a lot of NFl defenses and neither are Benford or Dane. 

recall Poyer and Hyde were not starters early in their career. 

also all the cap tied up in the front 4 positions isn’t necessarily compatible with numerous schemes either. 

you don’t just switch schemes with the same dudes and everything is perfect…. That’s not how this all works. 

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Let them have him, it’s a great situation, they need to create a culture, he can do that.  Once he raises them to above mediocre they can fire him too.

Why would Beane be loyal to McD?  Tying yourself to him is a dangerous game.

It too late…Beane and McDermott are already tied to each other.  They re-signed contract that expire at the same time.  Plus, if you are going to consider a fireable offense, Beane owns some of that with his roster management.  

It’s not in his DNA to turn on McDermott.  I guarantee he is going to go to bat for Sean 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.