James Cook appreciation thread

NewEra

I don’t remember one ever being created, so I’d like to show him some love and appreciation.  

He’s proving doubters wrong.  Some like to portray him as a purely finesse RB that can’t move the chains or take on contact. That’s pure bs.  He’s been delivering the hammers to mix with his elusiveness.

Good runner up the middle.  Great runner to the outside.  Tremendous hands for a RB.  Similarly tremendous route running for a RB.  

Over the previous 5 seasons how many times have see our RB decide to bounce to the outside and run step for step with the LB or DE only to get dragged down?  It seems like Cook is able to get the corner and head upfield every time he decides to bounce it outside.  His short area quickness and acceleration to top speed is a thing of beauty.  

Ken Dorsey was a failure at utilizing his skill set.  He should be a focal point of this offense as opposed to being an accent.  Running the ball will be big test vs that Philly front 4 but I expect them to utilize him a lot more in the short passing game next week, negating their monsters in the middle.  Put their LBs and S to work.  

If Brady can get the most out of his talents the rest of the way, we could be looking at a special end to the season

Let’s hope that McD doesn’t doghouse him into wanting out.  He’s here for 2 more years after this and we may not be able to pay him when his contract is up.  Let’s appreciate this special talent while we have him. 

Hungry Nft GIF by SuperRareBears

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I can't remember the last Bills running back who gave me the confidence, every time he was handed the ball, that he'd pick up 4-6 yards. I can't remember the last Bills running back that -- even though we have an elite QB -- made me WANT to see the Bills hand the ball off a bunch during the game. 

Himbo Cook. Silky smooth. Beast. Best football is still ahead of him. Great draft pick. 

Not to detract from James Cook, who this thread is about, but: between Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, O'Cyrus Torrence, and even Spencer Brown, the Bills' future is looking bright on offense. These youngsters can PLAY!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I almost don't ever want to see another snap out of shotgun the rest of the year

Yes - I get that situations sometimes warrant that formation.  

But we are so much more unpredictable and explosive on offense when we can run from traditional formations and hit play-action

Let's see if Brady agrees

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

I can't remember the last Bills running back who gave me the confidence, every time he was handed the ball, that he'd pick up 4-6 yards. I can't remember the last Bills running back that -- even though we have an elite QB -- made me WANT to see the Bills hand the ball off a bunch during the game. 

Himbo Cook. Silky smooth. Beast. Best football is still ahead of him. Great draft pick. 

Not to detract from James Cook, who this thread is about, but: between Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, O'Cyrus Torrence, and even Spencer Brown, the Bills' future is looking bright on offense. These youngsters can PLAY!

McCoy

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t remember one ever being created, so I’d like to show him some love and appreciation.  

He’s proving doubters wrong.  Some like to portray him as a purely finesse RB that can’t move the chains or take on contact. That’s pure bs.  He’s been delivering the hammers to mix with his elusiveness.

Good runner up the middle.  Great runner to the outside.  Tremendous hands for a RB.  Similarly tremendous route running for a RB.  

Over the previous 5 seasons how many times have see our RB decide to bounce to the outside and run step for step with the LB or DE only to get dragged down?  It seems like Cook is able to get the corner and head upfield every time he decides to bounce it outside.  His short area quickness and acceleration to top speed is a thing of beauty.  

Ken Dorsey was a failure at utilizing his skill set.  He should be a focal point of this offense as opposed to being an accent.  Running the ball will be big test vs that Philly front 4 but I expect them to utilize him a lot more in the short passing game next week, negating their monsters in the middle.  Put their LBs and S to work.  

If Brady can get the most out of his talents the rest of the way, we could be looking at a special end to the season

Let’s hope that McD doesn’t doghouse him into wanting out.  He’s here for 2 more years after this and we may not be able to pay him when his contract is up.  Let’s appreciate this special talent while we have him. 

Cook’s been good but the OL has been better creating huge holes for the young back to scamper through…

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Cook has a lot more to give to this offense, he can be used just like Kamara. 

I think that’s coming, but never with that type of usage rate.  But definitely used more in the pass game than they have in his two years so far.  

Brady’s use of motion really opened things up

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Also 2nd in the NFL in rushing yards to McCaffery. 

I feel like this isn't getting enough press. The knock I hear from national media is "they're putting it all on Josh".

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I think maybe LeSean McCoy his first years with us is my last point of comparison.

I do worry about the fumbleitis, but honestly the man is a lot of fun to watch play. It was just so infuriating to watch that shotgun QB draw, knowing that Cook can do with a head of steam and his vision. And now Brady is using a few Shannahan RB concepts? 

The Bills have needs on offense pending, but the Torrance, Cook and Kincaid pickups are looking like excellent pieces for the future.

Just for some perspective.  While he’s 3rd in rushing yards Cook is currently 9th in rushing yards per game among RBs with a minimum of 8 games played.  11th among RBs with at least 7 games played.

He hasn’t had a bye and hasn’t missed a game.  There aren’t any RBs with a higher ypg that have played in 11 games like Cook has.  

not coming down on him, he’s a stud.  Just pointing out how he’s come to be the 3rd leading rusher.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Runs hard but I would like to see Fournette this week 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

i love his change of pace. 

one minute he's nowhere and then BAM, a cut and he's going three times as fast and nobody has seen it. 

i really look forward to him being the receiving hb he was drafted for. but one thing at a time 

also, don't underestimate him getting benched last week. that's tough love

that's a coach that likes him, and wants him to be the very best he can be. he's expected to be at the highest standard in a way some others wont be 

Edited by Bill Grundy

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Mostly agree.  

Dorsey seemed to call plays as if Allen was Superman and Diggs was our only other weapon.  It turns out we do have other talented players on the roster.  Yesterday, none of our TDs were scored by Allen or Diggs.  

And it was great to see that our RBs contributed something like 130 yards yesterday - passing and receiving.  And Cook was the star of the bunch. 

Personally, I wouldn't say Cook is "great" on the outside.  OJ was great running to the outside.  Barry Sanders was, too.  Cook isn't in that league.  But, yeah, Cook has some burst and elusiveness that Dorsey didn't make enough use of.     

But Allen is still our most talented player and should be the focal point of the offense, not Cook.  

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

yeah, enough of this media narrative that the Bills can't run the ball.  

Not sure the narrative is "can't"...the narrative is "won't" because there are games where they needed to commit to it early and often with their ability to do it and it would have opened up the rest of the game.  Last scoring drive of Dorsey's career, ironically, was dominated by it and the last game vs JETS it was a highlight that complemented or opened up everything else we were able to do.  We've had the ability to ball control games and simply chose not to for some reason.  

But, here we go, we have a stable of dudes that can run it with an oline that can block for them and the most athletic (dual threat) running QB in the league with a cannon arm and great accuracy.  With a good offensive gameplan we are primed to make a run and be the team nobody wants to play down the stretch.  We need to go set that tone and get this thing done!  Go Bills!

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Mostly agree.  

Dorsey seemed to call plays as if Allen was Superman and Diggs was our only other weapon.  It turns out we do have other talented players on the roster.  Yesterday, none of our TDs were scored by Allen or Diggs.  

And it was great to see that our RBs contributed something like 130 yards yesterday - passing and receiving.  And Cook was the star of the bunch. 

Personally, I wouldn't say Cook is "great" on the outside.  OJ was great running to the outside.  Barry Sanders was, too.  Cook isn't in that league.  But, yeah, Cook has some burst and elusiveness that Dorsey didn't make enough use of.     

But Allen is still our most talented player and should be the focal point of the offense, not Cook.  

I agree to an extent.  I don’t think he’s a “great” back when the play-call is for him to run outside.  Good sounds about right.

I think one of the key traits of being a great outside runner is the ability to know “when to bust it outside”.  And that’s where I think James excels.  Seems to me that he has superb feel on when to bust it outside.  As if he knows whether or not he’s going to be able get the corner.   

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

I agree to an extent.  I don’t think he’s a “great” back when the play-call is for him to run outside.  Good sounds about right.

I think one of the key traits of being a great outside runner is the ability to know “when to bust it outside”.  And that’s where I think James excels.  Seems to me that he has superb feel on when to bust it outside.  As if he knows whether or not he’s going to be able get the corner.   

I'd like to see him run from an I formation with Gilliam as the lead blocker. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

He’s been our best playmaker over the last few weeks.  He looked better than I’ve ever seen him last night…..  then he disappeared  in the 2nd half thanks to our game plan.  

do better Brady.  Electricity courses through this kids veins and I appreciate him.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.