DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Anyone looking for McDermott to get fired will have to hold their breath.   He will get another season after this year.   Whether you like it or not making the playoffs 5 of 6, likely now 7, earns you that.

He’ll get one more year imo if this season continues to be a mess 

• Agree 1

This just about guarantees McDermott is a dead man walking. Dorsey had some boneheaded play calls for sure, but the overwhelming faults of this team have been related to preparation and execution - not playcalling. As we've seen week after week, guys have been open and the plays have been there, but mental mistakes have been our undoing drive after drive.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

McDermott better run the table here now because there’s nobody left to hide behind. Dabol, Les, Dorsey….nobody left to use as a shield. Get some madden 05 out and learn some ***** clock management bub.

Yup, nobody left to scapegoat. That's the most hopeful news here for the dream of him getting canned after the season. 

34 minutes ago, colin said:

if i see a more purposeful O with lots of under center, i'm buying in.

im a fool and a glutton for punishment.  i'm dejected and hopeful at the same time.

My name is Colin, and I'm a Bills fan.

Your not going to see that; same sheet of music, Carolina retread, spread formations, empty backfield, smh.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Dorsey deserved the season.  This was a panic move.

I thought it was going to play out that way.

To me, it was one of two things.  Either there was a player revolt against Dorsey, or McD was given no choice from management.  It is likely a combination of both.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Yeah, right, as if Brady will be able to make calls without deferring to McDermott. Expect slow tempo and drawn out drives to continue (providing the players don't fumble, drop or throw interceptions) to eat up TOP.

Lack of explosive plays is a league wide issue

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, boyst said:

dorsey was screwed last night by mcchump benching cook.

Amongst other things, yes.

8 minutes ago, appoo said:

You guys act like the bills haven’t been wildly successful under McDermott 

Regular season wise, sure.

This team has underperformed in the playoffs for years, and now they have failed miserably in the regular season. 

The Bills have been going backwards, and that is on McDermott 

2 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I thought it was going to play out that way.

To me, it was one of two things.  Either there was a player revolt against Dorsey, or McD was given no choice from management.  It is likely a combination of both.

This is the next question. Who made the call? Was it Pegula or McDermott? 

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

26 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Wasn’t Joe Brady very pass heavy with Sam Darnold as his QB and CMC as his RB? And didn’t the Panthers offense get better when he was fired and Ben McAdoo took over? 

Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken here. 

So what? The move here wasnt to promote Brady because the FO thinks he's a better or even good OC. The move was firing Dorsey in order to stop the bleeding, make a change, wake up the team, and see how the rest of the season goes under McD.

No one should be expecting Brady to be the savior of the offense. That likely wont happen until next season at best.

But Dorsey had to go. And now we can determine if McD has to go too ("we" being ownership, since WE all know that answer)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For those who don't know, I will say some things I've said before. It's on you to weigh it but...

Daboll was fed up with the way McDermott meddled with things. McDermott didn't earn respect and wasn't liked by many players, in turn daboll earned respect from the offense who bought into him. This caused a rift between McDermotts "process" and Dabolls calm zen like approach that guided our offense. Think back how relaxed we were.

With 13 seconds the trust daboll had earned shown in how that offense went out and executed precisely as a top team should with great talent. They were all in on trusting Daboll to put them in a position to win. McDermott had been over the shoulder much of the season with Frazier that year. As the game got tight at closing some felt as if McDermott took his hands off the wheel a little and lost composure/control. Frazier did a lot in those last minutes. The kickoff has McDermott coaching one thing but not the ST who had the kickoff and coverage out of sync. 

Players knew this. They were told all their career in Buffalo that there was a process and trust. And accountability. There were fights in the lockerroom and on the way back. To my knowledge no physical assaults, but peoppe pulled apart.

This was not even the first eyebrow raising issue. That was 2017 and the Peterman 5 pick game in SD. The entire team was against it. Team Captains told coach they didn't want it. Peterman comes in and throws 5 picks. By halftime players have texted a few friends and folks some pretty harsh words. No one could explain it. It was easily forgotten when we made the playoffs. Easily forgotten now.

Going back to 13 seconds - you can look at some interesting tidbits: Spain and coach argued, Hughes always being in the doghouse for no reason, Beasley completely abandoned and not supported to be himself, Araiza dropped, Levi Wallace getting tossed as a scapegoat, many others.

The lockeroom has a divide in the lockerroom that doesn't trust McDermott. That's part of the reason some players are here and stick/stuck (Lee Smith, AJ Klein).

There is a lot there that was seen and known by people around and left, even if we didn't like them. I would honestly love if Whaley came out and weighed in on his personal thoughts - it'd be a treat for that to be public. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So happy. I fully expect we are going to see some ground and pound. Get Fournette up to speed after the bye, alternate with 28 and 4, let's go!

Josh will clean alot up if he can complement an effective running game with play action and a timely passing attack. Honestly, I can't understand anyone that is upset with the defense, they've been covering for the O since the Patriots game in week2. Considering we drafted both 1st and 2nd round on offense last year, it's ridiculous to expect a heavily depleted defense to carry this team alone.

As for the D breaking late in games, ummm are you new to Buffalo, that's our calling card!

Edited by Ballhawk
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Wonder if we see any changes to personnel here. Like Davis out or some shakeups. You’d assume this guy wouldn’t see everything exactly the same as Dorsey 

Hopefully Isabella get a shot. Maybe Shorter comes off IR too

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm in the minority but Dorsey didn't deserve to be fired.  This was a panic move.

He didn't deserve to be fired after this game, but if the season continued this way, he deserved to be fired by the end of the season.  He's had 1 great game, and 2 games where he wasn't the problem.  That's not good enough

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This is good.

Now Brady NEEDS To remove the deep option routes for Davis/Diggs/Shakir/etc and any Deep route period.  It should be layered and compliment each other.  Force the defense to choose on which route they want to cover, something more shallow or something deeper. 

Dorsey's scheme relied to heavily on the WR's to make the right decision based on coverage and CB/S leverage and forced Josh to trust the WR's are making the right read.  

This works a lot better on short routes (Like Beasley used to be amazing at) and since they are shorter the throws can be made after breaks or sits in zone with how Allen's arm is.

On deeper route options, no longer can Josh make the read based on Safety movement and Zone vs Man.  He had to wait.  Because having both the QB and WR having to make split second decisions on where the ball should be thrown, along with other WRs having to make the same read on coverage and choose a route that wouldn't hurt another route or bring defenders into that space is WAYYYYY too complicated and way to many points of failure based on decisions to work efficiently.

IE The intentional grounding call against the Bengals because a deep route option, Davis stopped his route and Josh thought he would keep going.

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

Regular season wise, sure.

This team has underperformed in the playoffs for years, and now they have failed miserably in the regular season. 

The Bills have been going backwards, and that is on McDermott 

They’ve lost to Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes twice, took a good DeShaun Watson to OT prior to Allen Taking The Leap, and then last year an exhausted and injuries Bills team lost to a really good Bengals team.

This isn’t failure. They lost to teams that were better than them in terms of personell 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

This is the next question. Who made the call? Was it Pegula or McDermott? 

I’m sure Pegula and Beane had an immediate meeting after the game.  Was McD given a choice?  The more I think about it, no.  It was ultimately the owner.  Which I am fine with that he isn’t just sitting on a bad situation.

Canning McD would certainly kill whatever hope you have for the remainder of the season.  Letting it play out now.

Sean is a dead man walking if we miss the playoffs. Any OC replacement doesn’t excuse the team not being buttoned up and the responsibility for Josh taking a step back. Attention to detail is a given for winning franchises. We, sadly are lacking necessities and if the Pegulas don’t see this, they don’t care about getting us a championship.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, appoo said:

Firing your hand picked OC is essentially taking ownership of a mistake. Whose job is it to evaluate the talent of your assistant coaches and coordinators? The head coach 

He's fired a number of coordinators now. Picking quality coaches is a big part of being a successful Head Coach. And he brought him back for year two and waited too long to fire him and never changed anything. And if you listened to McD last night, he did scapegoat Dorsey for even something irrational like "scoring too fast". It came off badly because there's a million things you could criticize Dorsey for...and that wasn't one of them. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

So happy. I fully expect we are going to see some ground and pound. Get Fournette up to speed after the bye, alternate 28 and 4, let's go!

Josh will clean alot up if he can complement and effective running game with play action and a timely passing attack. Honestly, I can;t understand anyone that is upset with the defense, they've been covering for the O since the Patriots game in week2. Considering we drafted both 1st and 2nd round on offense last year, it's ridiculous to expect a heavily depleted defense to carry this team alone.

As for the D breaking late in games, ummm are you new to Buffalo, that's our calling card!

Fournette hasn't been good since LSU. Any team in the league could have had him (including us) and yet he's still not on a roster which means he's not one of the top 96 RBs in football. If you think he's the solution to your problem, you're probably fighting for draft position instead of the playoffs.

The only reason he's here is as a backup to the role Murray is serving.

Edited by BullBuchanan

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sadly, McJesus has to stay for now cuz he’s the DC. Pulling up another mediocre underling and reshuffling below them will be more damaging to the players careers than keeping him, so the season is still a washout.

Is Harvey Johnson available? 

Why do you people call him McJesus? 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Wonder if we see any changes to personnel here. Like Davis out or some shakeups. You’d assume this guy wouldn’t see everything exactly the same as Dorsey 

Lets hope. Bench a few guys....Try new ideas. The Ravens had an undrafted guy get 6 touches and scored twice because he's fastest guy on the field. Throw Isabella out there....Anything new to get fast guys in space instead of our slow guys in traffic..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm in the minority but Dorsey didn't deserve to be fired.  This was a panic move.

Yes McDermott should be fired but he wasn't going to fire himself, this was the only move he would make.

That being said, Dorsey didn't do much to not get fired either. It wasn't workign and he had no adjustments 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.