Bills held players only meeting this week (For real this time)

BuffaloBillyG

I'll take anything that is NOT the normal routine.

We all know this team is better than what we've seen since London.  My own feeling over the past month+ can be summed up as sort of a, "snap out of it!"

Maybe they will.  Would sure love to see it.

• Agree 1

It's up to Josh to go rogue. They aren't going to bench him. He needs to command the offense and like Diggs said “STOP LISTENING TO HIM!". The coaches got us as far as they can, it's up to Josh to take control, go no huddle and take command of the offense.

4 hours ago, Success said:

I'll take anything that is NOT the normal routine.

We all know this team is better than what we've seen since London.  My own feeling over the past month+ can be summed up as sort of a, "snap out of it!"

Maybe they will.  Would sure love to see it.

It does seem like the offense is in some weird funk or trance.  McDorsey has Josh going in 3 directions. And these 2 guys are way too much in his head.  I'm almost to the point to have Josh go rogue and call his own plays.

F Dorsey.

It's tough to tell what a meeting like this can yield. It does look like our most influential personality on this team is in a conflicted state, whether personally or professionally. We've all seen Josh with a blank stare on his face, it's tough to read what's behind that. I think many of us hit a "halfway" point in our careers where maybe everything seems stale and for naught, and maybe that's what's facing those guys now. They've put in a lot of work in the past, gotten banged up, hear praise and criticism...and it all boils down to the same thing over and over. Granted they're making more in two games than most of us will earn in a lifetime, but still it seems like they've reached a doldrums (Allen primarily), and somehow this group has to snap out of it.

Edited by pocoboy

I've been thinking a lot about this over the past day. Why did a close road loss to a very good (and hot) team seemingly break the Bills? Is it the lack of execution on offense? Is it because of the way last season ended? We don't know what's actually going on, but the little bit that we do know makes it seem like they are having a bit of a crisis. I know that we fans get all depressed and think that the team can't win another game after every loss, but these guys actually control their own fate. They should be thinking "We'll just win out and win the division." I don't think that they can do that, but if they don't think that they can do that then we have a real leadership/coaching problem. And if Murray, a journeyman who's been here for all of half a season, feels that he needs to fill a leadership vacuum, then the Bills have a really big problem.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's actually a pretty big storyline when you think about their history in the NFC South when McD was Panthers DC and Peyton Saints HC.

In fact the last time a Peyton coached team came to Buffalo it wasn't pretty if you remember the Saints demolishing this team in McD's first year here. I think they won something like 49-10.

McD made sure to smack around a Peyton coached team in New Orleans on  Thanksgiving a couple years ago too, so it’s gone both ways.  A big difference in each game was also the QBs for each team, as Brees was on the Saints in the first and Josh on the Bills in the second.  I’d say the QB difference was a bigger factor versus who was coaching each team.

6 minutes ago, Buckets said:

And what did their schedule look like for the rest of the season?

Cincinnati last year got stomped in week 8 by the Jacobi Brissett-led Browns to fall to 4-4. They looked lost and people here in Cincinnati were in about the same mood as Bills mafia is in now because they still had games against the Chiefs, Bills, and the Tom Brady-led Bucs on their schedule. They won out. The turning point was a beatdown of the Panthers at home. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, McBean said:

Players only meeting in year 7 folks.

Tells you all you wanna know.

#FireMcClap

JMHO but McDermott lost the team in the 13 seconds game. That was a fire able offense. It's been declining since then. The Eagles moved on from Andy Reid eventually and the Bills need to do the same here. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Why then? Reid is arguably the best coach in the NFL 

It worked out for the Eagles as well as they won a Super Bowl. Josh is probably halfway thru his career at this point or close to it. It took Reid a long time to win a Super Bowl. We can't afford to wait that long with Allen as our QB. 

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Why then? Reid is arguably the best coach in the NFL 

I think the lesson is if the Eagles can move on from the best coach in the NFL then win the SB soon after the Bills can move on from the not-the-best coach in the NFL and attempt to duplicate the Eagles experience. 

I think McDermott has done an excellent job as the turn around guy transforming the franchise to respectability but getting to the championship level might be something he's not up to here.  Like in the case of Reid, a change might be good for the HC and the team.  Many times people find the experience of getting fired is a cold and hard slap in the face along with a wake-up call that is painful but also something that provides a lot of fuel to up their game in the particular field they happen to work. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

50 minutes ago, Gregg said:

JMHO but McDermott lost the team in the 13 seconds game. That was a fire able offense. It's been declining since then. The Eagles moved on from Andy Reid eventually and the Bills need to do the same here. 

Amen.

Let me just tell ya something, if folks think that Diggs holdout and anger isn’t because of McDermott, well, you’re blind.

The players know how big of a clown he is. 

Let’s just say this…I live in an area where a current Bill is from. The player and Allen said both that McDermott didn’t know KC had 3 timeouts left before the kickoff which btw, they wanted to squib it but didn’t get into Bass.

Don’t care if anybody believes the above but it’s the Gods honest truth.

The players don’t like this guy. He has to go ASAP. A MAJOR problem.

Edited by McBean
  • Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Yea I mean he only took them to 4 straight NFC Championship Games????? 

Jim Johnson defense with special players on both sides of the ball

Ask any Eagles fan what they thought of Andy Reid during his tenure with the Eagles and you'll find that what I'm saying is true.

6 minutes ago, McBean said:

Amen.

Let me just tell ya something, if folks think that Diggs holdout and anger isn’t because of McDermott, well, you’re blind.

The players know how big of a clown he is. 

Let’s just say this…I live in an area where a current Bill is from. The player and Allen said both that McDermott didn’t know KC had 3 timeouts left before the kickoff which btw, they wanted to squib it but didn’t get into Bass.

Don’t care if anybody believes the above but it’s the Gods honest truth.

The players don’t like this guy. He has to go ASAP. A MAJOR problem.

If McDermott has lost the locker room, then he definitely needs to go. Once players tune a coach out then it is almost impossible to get that back.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

It would be a fireable offense for a coach that is in McD’s current position now or perhaps a coach who has previous struggles. But at the time it was not a fireable offense. McD still had the trust of the team, IMO. I think everyone, including the national media, thought we would be SB favorites the next season because we should have won that game. 

But now, this players only meeting is usually a desperate act because they know coaching isn’t working and they need to rally around each other. I really don’t care for these and it usually spells doom in the near future. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t have a problem with Murray calling a meeting and don’t think it reflects on the team leadership. He’s a respected veteran and although I doubt it will really amount to anything, at least someone is doing something recognizing the season is on the brink.

I think this Denver game is the inflection point of the McD led Bills. If we win, we have more time to right the ship. If we lose, I think the wheels blow off the bus and this is going to get ugly.

4 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I don’t have a problem with Murray calling a meeting and don’t think it reflects on the team leadership. He’s a respected veteran and although I doubt it will really amount to anything, at least someone is doing something recognizing the season is on the brink.

I think this Denver game is the inflection point of the McD led Bills. If we win, we have more time to right the ship. If we lose, I think the wheels blow off the bus and this is going to get ugly.

The Bills can afford another loss or two this season but just not in these next 2 weeks. They must go to Philadelphia 7-4 and go from there. I think the Bills win these next 2 games at home although the Jets game will be another close one-score game as they match up well with the Bills. 

7 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I think the Bills are in a tough spot. If they lose...yes I agree that the rest of this season is possibly going to blow up rather fast. Especially if the offense still sputters.

If they win it will be, "Yea they won at home against a team they should beat...whoopie doo"

Even if the offense comes out COOKING they gain nothing because the Broncos "Gave up 70 and are a horrible defense". And "Yeah, let's see what they do against a real defense next week with the Jets".

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think the Bills are in a tough spot. If they lose...yes I agree that the rest of this season is possibly going to blow up rather fast. Especially if the offense still sputters.

If they win it will be, "Yea they won at home against a team they should beat...whoopie doo"

Even if the offense comes out COOKING they gain nothing because the Broncos "Gave up 70 and are a horrible defense". And "Yeah, let's see what they do against a real defense next week with the Jets".

Except Denver just shutdown KC

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.