McDermott answers why we stopped uptempo offense

Einstein

24 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Make of this what you will.

Mods if this belongs in another thread, please feel free to merge it. I didn’t know where this exactly fits in.

File it under "Complete and Utter Nonsense" 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Make of this what you will.

Perhaps he felt that our offense wasn't inclusive enough.  

Maybe some players weren't happy with their roles, and in the interests of positive culture McD decided to try other styles of offenses.   

Maybe they'll put a tent on the field as a safe space for any player(s) that aren't happy with their roles during games.  That could help.   And for the players on D for which it's too much trying to play more due to a couple of injuries there, maybe a tent on-field with comfort dogs or something too.  We could put snap counters on players, and once their forced over a certain percentage of snaps, into the comfort animal tent they go for treatment.  

It's so exciting to see where this goes!!  

Either way, it's good to see that our Head Coach was on top of things and made sure to abandon things that were working so that we could be inclusive to the feelings of other inanimate styles.  There's no denying the fantastic culture he's built here.  

:rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

You realize if the Bengals rolled 40 on my defense people would be blaming me. Slow it down! 

You joke, but I’m sure this is it. They wanted to play ball control and avoid a shootout with the Bengals, who they feared would school them in a high scoring game. It’s the usual strategy of the underdog.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

It’s the same reason he challenged the 9 yd pass play in the 4th qtr, and frittered away our crucial TO. It’s because he’s a poor game day decision maker and he’s super conservative and doesn’t understand offensive rhythm and how it’s created. I want to believe we can win games in spite of his shortcomings but if his defenses are unable to make stops, he’s holding us back.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I hope he is more inspiring in the locker room with the players, then he is in those press conferences…

Judging by McDermott's demeanor last night when interviewed at halftime by the sideline reporter, I doubt he could inspire anyone to do anything, other than perhaps to run for the bus. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, vincec said:

You joke, but I’m sure this is it. They wanted to play ball control and avoid a shootout with the Bengals, who they feared would school them in a high scoring game. It’s the usual strategy of the underdog.

I was beings serious. Remember Gilbride getting punched? Defensive coaches do not like up tempo offenses. I 100% think that is the reason we won't play fast. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Sorry I didn’t catch the actual press conference yet. Just catching up on tweets.

Thanks for reporting!  

This staff isn't going to be getting many if any benefits of the doubt going forward at this point.  

They've blown whatever good will they've had for this season anyway.  It's already an uphill climb for McD to salvage this mess.  I'm seriously wondering when he's going to throw Dorsey under the bus and promote Brady into the role.  Not that he's competent there as the odds are beyond slim for someone that has absolutely no track record of success in the role.  

It's going to be interesting to see how this shakes out and how patient Pegula is smack in the middle of an attempt to sell season tickets and PSLs to fans that already seem to be growing thin on patience for the current staff.  

And no matter how bad anyone thinks we are, honestly, we're presently seeded after the Steelers, Browns, and Jets, none of which have great QBs to understate their condition.  

Follow up: "Sean, what other styles of offense did you want to move to?"

"Inept. Um. Complimentary. Look, we saw some of the Bengals defense get upset after our first TD so we helped them be the best version of themselves. We embrace growth mindset for all. Sure, there's some plays I'd love to have back but I have confidence in Ken. "

*Clap clap clap*

• Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.