Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

44 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They’re 29th in rushing ypg and 29th in rushing yards allowed per game.  I think that’s a much different game Sunday if Trent brown and Deebo were available…they racked up 400 plus yards without those guys. 

not saying we’ll win but cincys single game against sf is getting a little bit overblown imo,they haven’t looked like that all year even in their wins.

Whatever... you go with your stat..

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, JTown said:

Whatever... you go with your stat..

Lol I mean it’s not just stats I’ve seen them getting gashed in the trenches every week.  I shelled out for the good ol Sunday ticket 😂 49ers without Trent brown/Deebo and Aaron banks going down midgame were a lot easier to manhandle than they would’ve been normally.

If we were in a similar situation and had to play cincy without diggs and a few starting offensive linemen I would absolutely agree with the sentiment here that we’d get utterly humiliated.  Right now I think cincy being a 1.5-3.5 point favorite sounds about right 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Did we fill Dawson's roster spot, or still at 52?

I believe we are still at 52.  If they wanted to bring Fournette up, they can always move Ty Johnson back to PS.  So they have lots of flexibility if they want to bring in another player.

18 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Lol I mean it’s not just stats I’ve seen them getting gashed in the trenches every week.  I shelled out for the good ol Sunday ticket 😂 49ers without Trent brown/Deebo and Aaron banks going down midgame were a lot easier to manhandle than they would’ve been normally.

If we were in a similar situation and had to play cincy without diggs and a few starting offensive linemen I would absolutely agree with the sentiment here that we’d get utterly humiliated.  Right now I think cincy being a 1.5-3.5 point favorite sounds about right 

Wow... you "shelled out" for Sunday Ticket?  OMG... you take it serious.   Smfh.

I have had Sunday Ticket since 1995.  

Did I say anything about SF or their injuries?  No

Did I say anything about the point spread? No

Did I mention SF?  No

I said they (Cincy) are more physical on both sides of the ball.

Quit trying to make the narrative something else.

Do I want the Bills win?  Absof#$%^&luteal!

Congrats on your Sunday Ticket.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JTown said:

Wow... you "shelled out" for Sunday Ticket?  OMG... you take it serious.   Smfh.

I have had Sunday Ticket since 1995.  

Did I say anything about SF or their injuries?  No

Did I say anything about the point spread? No

Did I mention SF?  No

I said they (Cincy) are more physical on both sides of the ball.

Quit trying to make the narrative something else.

Do I want the Bills win?  Absof#$%^&luteal!

Congrats on your Sunday Ticket.

Haha it was a jokey way to say I watched the bengals play a lot this year 😂 yeesh.  You said stats don’t matter, I countered with I’ve been watching the games I’m not just looking at a stat sheet. Then I added SF got whooped in the trenches on the offensive side of the ball because they were down two huge pieces on the oline.  All super relevant info to your earlier retort about how the bengals are more physical on both sides of the ball.  

I literally replied directly to your ‘narrative’ and refuted it with factual information…you just don’t agree which is fine

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

On 10/29/2023 at 10:11 PM, Buffalo619 said:

After the “Hamlin Incident” and the pathetic playoff loss. McD better have this game circled and he better have his team ready to play. 

Another embarrassment would be just more proof that our head coach does not learn from his errors. 

Or that the Bengals have better players and are not missing their best player on D in Milano nor top CB in White. 

34 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

Or that the Bengals have better players and are not missing their best player on D in Milano nor top CB in White. 

Agree that he was a top-3 off-ball LB in the NFL this season (possibly THE top), but I think a healthy DaQuan Jones was actually more important to the entire unit's success. Jones' play had such cascading downstream impacts on the entire D, including "keeping the LBs clean" as they say. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

💯 this. At no point Thursday were they not in control, and that thread about the Hail Mary is honestly just ridiculous. So much overanalysis of the Bills and under analysis of the other teams. Makes sense, it’s a Bills forum, but still. For example, my guess is most posters don’t know that Mahomes has as many interceptions as Josh does. This year it seems more than ever that all of the top teams have been wildly inconsistent…a couple of them just happened to have pulled out more wins than the Bills have. Gonna be a tough game this week, no doubt, but to say the Bills have no shot is pretty disingenuous 

Disagree. The Bengals have been notoriously slow starters and had Burrow on one leg to start the year. KC has a propensity to play down to competition in the regular season. Both those teams have a track record of exactly what we have seen then boom.

As much as people want to justify our play with this notion we are not in that boat. We have been a good regular season team and we have been a completely dominant DVOA defense over the last several years. Our defense has performed at the bottom of the league since Jacksonville. No question the worst run since the McDermott playoff era started. Just that alone is enough to say it’s different this time. We can’t just “figure it out” if our defense is bottom 20. Hasn’t worked out very well for them as a top 5 unit on bigger stages. It will be up to the offense to be 2021 dominant if we want to make a run this year. That or some drastic changes with a unit that is out critical starters. Worse than even last year.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I believe we are still at 52.  If they wanted to bring Fournette up, they can always move Ty Johnson back to PS.  So they have lots of flexibility if they want to bring in another player.

I really hope Fournette is up to speed for this Bengals game. He's going to be the difference in the way the Bengals play defense. Wanna see if Bengals cheat their safeties up on the line of scrimmage

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I’m at the airport in Cincinnati picking up my mother and Bengals fans coming back from SF are just screaming Who Dey at each other.

I was in downtown the year they played the Rams. Fans were funny, seemed to take the game as well as one could. Handled the Hamlin thing with class. I want to not like them but…..

4 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Obviously will be a tough matchup, but thr praise on Cincy right now-let's review:

1. dominated 49ers, but coming off a bye week and the 49ers are really dinged up.  QB missed time all week, CMac less than 100%, no Trent and no Deebo

2. Struggled, but won against Seahawks.  Defense forced critical redzone stops

3. Cardinals are worst team in NFL right now, Dobbs about to be benched

All to say, NFL is week to week.  We are just as talented and have a QB that can also take over games.  Last week we played a great game, albeit scoreboard didn't show it.  

I think it will be a FG finish, both offenses going to move the ball.

I think you are addressing the wrong issues here. Most of the info you provided is pretty useless.

I think it's imperative to look at the Bills vs Bengals match up. When i do that objectively I don't like the Bills chances. 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I was in downtown the year they played the Rams. Fans were funny, seemed to take the game as well as one could. Handled the Hamlin thing with class. I want to not like them but…..

If you lived here you’d feel differently. Let me put it this way. I have lived here for 17 years and raised my kids here. But because I didn’t go to high school here I am held at arms length and treated as an outsider. And the Hamlin thing? That was “southern hospitality” bless your heart BS. They didn’t mean it. 

• Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

If you lived here you’d feel differently. Let me put it this way. I have lived here for 17 years and raised my kids here. But because I didn’t go to high school here I am held at arms length and treated as an outsider. And the Hamlin thing? That was “southern hospitality” bless your heart BS. They didn’t mean it. 

Weird man.

I like downtown as far as cleaner midwest cities. Met my girl there. But ya, I had no idea what it’s like to be there more permanently. My condolences.

8 minutes ago, bills742 said:

In fairness to that, they did sort of get shafted. My comments were about the reaction in the moment. Humanity is often lost in such situations. 

2 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Weird man.

I like downtown as far as cleaner midwest cities. Met my girl there. But ya, I had no idea what it’s like to be there more permanently. My condolences.

Downtown and OTR are really nice. You can have a good time there. But this is not the Midwest. This is the northern most Southern city. 

48 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think you are addressing the wrong issues here. Most of the info you provided is pretty useless.

I think it's imperative to look at the Bills vs Bengals match up. When i do that objectively I don't like the Bills chances. 

I think it’s pretty fair game to dig into your opponents previous match up especially when it’s the game that caused the masses to declare they are back to top form because they beat a supposedly elite opponent

SF has yet to win a game without a healthy Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel and there’s a clear reason for that.  

the cincy defense is gettable in a lot of areas much like our defense is…49ers were just too depleted to do it.   Linebackers have looked worse this year, corners aren’t very good, safeties aren’t good,  Hendrickson is an absolute beast though and dj reader is good.  

on offense they’re scary for sure I don’t think anyone is arguing that. Haven’t been great running the football most of the year though.

We notoriously struggle against TEs up the seam and they have replaced Hayden hurst with irv smith which is a pretty big downgrade.  Hurst beat us up pretty good in that playoff game 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agree that he was a top-3 off-ball LB in the NFL this season (possibly THE top), but I think a healthy DaQuan Jones was actually more important to the entire unit's success. Jones' play had such cascading downstream impacts on the entire D, including "keeping the LBs clean" as they say. 

There was a buzz by media that Milano was prime contender for NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

DaQuan had the highest percentage interior pressure rate in NFL, and was a rock on the DL.

Tra was finally back in form.

3 defense studs, one missing from each level of the defense.

It makes me sad that Tra, Von, Hyde, Poyer, Milano, DaQuan  never played together at the same time.

No Tra, Matt, Daquan, very little Von the past year.  Not many teams could stand 4 major losses like that, and still be a contender.

That is proof that Beane did a nice job buildding the roster, both in depth, and quality.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Pete said:

There was a buzz by media that Milano was prime contender for NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

DaQuan had the highest percentage interior pressure rate in NFL, and was a rock on the DL.

Tra was finally back in form.

3 defense studs, one missing from each level of the defense.

It makes me sad that Tra, Von, Hyde, Poyer, Milano, DaQuan  never played together at the same time.

No Tra, Matt, Daquan, very little Von the past year.  Not many teams could stand 4 major losses like that, and still be a contender.

That is proof that Beane did a nice job buildding the roster, both in depth, and quality.

Very minor point, but it’s “Tre” not “Tra” — as in Tredavious White.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Meanwhile the same posters are sharing their thoughts on how the bills could win:

-Josh Allen has to play great

- We need big plays on O

- Finish in the RZ

- We have to force turnovers 

- We have to tackle better

- We have to pressure the QB

- We have to shut down their WRs

Very insightful stuff. 

I mean people are giving the you the LOL emoji for this, but these points are absolutely true, as the Bills have NOT been doing these things lately, and certainly not doing ALL of them in the same game. I’ll say again that a couple of these things (finish in the red zone and poor tackling) go directly back to poor coaching and/or practices.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

As someone who went to school in Dayton, and years later lived just north of Cincy (Middletown) for a while, and now live in the deep southeast, in no way, shape, or form can Cincinnati be identified as a southern city. LOL

I will say that native Ohioans are “different“ though, and that’s not a compliment. 😉

34 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I mean people are giving the you the LOL emoji for this, but these points are absolutely true, as the Bills have NOT been doing these things lately, and certainly not doing ALL of them in the same game. I’ll say again that a couple of these things (finish in the red zone and poor tackling) go directly back to poor coaching and/or practices.

The poor tackling has been an issue for years. Joe Marino does a great job tracking this. It's a fairly common theme. 

40 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

the Bills are number 2 in the league in red zone scoring. KC and Philly are both outside the top 16. Poor tackling is a real thing though. 

Edited by Scott7975

this game feels like a huge inflection point for us.  we win and go 6-3 having dropped sloppy losses and won against some better teams, and i think we are in the drivers seat both from record and from confidence/momentum.

we lose, we are 5-4 and have an upwards climb to just make the playoffs.

if we get blow out or look horrible, then an implosion is possible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

My guess is the Bills will be 5-4 but rebound with wins over the Broncos and Jets. They will go to Philadelphia 7-4. I just don't like this matchup for the Bills. Even in the Damar game the Bengals scored easily on their 1st possession and had moved the ball into Bills territory on their 2nd possession before the Hamlin collapsed. Then there is the playoff game. Everything points to a Bengals win. Hope I am wrong, but I don't think so.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

8 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Downtown and OTR are really nice. You can have a good time there. But this is not the Midwest. This is the northern most Southern city. 

I shouldn’t have said these things. It’s not as bad as all that, of course. I was ticked off at two drunk Bengals fans at baggage claim and took it out on a whole city that I usually like. I’ll try to be better.

22 minutes ago, Gregg said:

My guess is the Bills will be 5-4 but rebound with wins over the Broncos and Jets. They will go to Philadelphia 7-4. I just don't like this matchup for the Bills. Even in the Damar game the Bengals scored easily on their 1st possession and had moved the ball into Bills territory on their 2nd possession before the Hamlin collapsed. Then there is the playoff game. Everything points to a Bengals win. Hope I am wrong, but I don't think so.

Then the Bills will never make a SB. You have to beat good teams to get there. McDermott needs to figure something out. I mean, Pete Carroll did. If the Seahawks had a QB like #17, the Bengals lose that game. The Niners also had that game in reach until Brock Purdy decided to start giving the Bengals the ball. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I shouldn’t have said these things. It’s not as bad as all that, of course. I was ticked off at two drunk Bengals fans at baggage claim and took it out on a whole city that I usually like. I’ll try to be better.

Then the Bills will never make a SB. You have to beat good teams to get there. McDermott needs to figure something out. I mean, Pete Carroll did. If the Seahawks had a QB like #17, the Bengals lose that game. The Niners also had that game in reach until Brock Purdy decided to start giving the Bengals the ball. 

I agree with you, but I just think this is a bad matchup for the Bills especially with the injuries on defense. I hope I am wrong, and the Bills find a way to get a huge win.

9 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

What?  I moved here in the mid 1980's and love it.  Raised a kid here and he's a Bills fan like me.  Is it different then Buffalo sure and like Buffalo it has it's good & bad points.  And like Buffalo the good outweighs the bad by a wide margin.

I had to move from Buffalo after UB for a job.  I didn't want to leave as I loved Western NY but South West Ohio is a fantastic place and I felt right at home within a few years of moving here.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Of course it's the "Midwest" and yes it is also the northern most "Southern" city.  That is what makes it different and nice.  IMO of course.

And yes Downtown & OTR are nice but don't forget the Banks (where the baseball & football stadiums are located along the Ohio river) and Mount Adams (which is like Allen street on a big hill).

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, BigDingus said:

On the flipside, this board was in complete denial going into the Cincy playoff game last year, so we're just at a low point on team opinion right now.

We've seen the Bengals suddenly come alive in recent weeks, won 3 straight, Burrow has 8 TDs/2 INT's in that stretch, and Jamar Chase is averaging 10 receptions/124 yards/1 TD a game over that span. As for the Bills, we've gone 2-1 in that stretch but haven't impressed at all. 

So I can understand why fans aren't super confident going into Cincy & beating the Bengals on the road. Do I think it's an indictment on McDermott's entire tenure? No. But I do think if this team comes out flat again, commits a lot of penalties and loses due to unforced errors/turnovers (especially after 10 days to prepare), he will be getting the most heat he's got at any point in his career.

Yes this game really should tell us about McD.  10 days to prepare, a bad taste in his (and all Bills mouths) from last year, a Cincy D that is vulnerable, our defense, which McD coaches has not played well in 4 weeks (and while good vs. Miami, Miami too self destructed a # of times and did put up yards), and the fact that many here hold him in such high esteem, one day he needs to show he deserves that praise.

Yep it is up to McD to have the team up and frankly roll Cincy.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.