Of all of the Bills’ issues the biggest is becoming clear - Discipline

Tipster19

8 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Oh I’m sorry…that post wasn’t meant for blind fanboys.

Only blind fanboys aren't convinced by armchair psychoanalysis of 0.05% of Josh Allen's time on the sideline shown on the TV broadcast by a 93 IQ fan who is 6 beers deep

Real compelling case you put together that that's a key pillar of evidence 

Edited by Franco_92
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

Only blind fanboys aren't convinced by armchair psychoanalysis of 0.05% of Josh Allen's time on the sideline shown on the TV broadcast by a 93 IQ fan who is 6 beers deep

Real compelling case you put together that that's a key pillar of evidence 

Haha. Whatever you say champ!👍

• Vomit 1

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Im not saying it’s valid or not valid.. and the conservative decisions ultimately led to a point where if a mistake was made on a defensive series, you opened yourself up to this by constantly asking them to stand up .. but I struggle to go after McDermott for Thursdays game.  

Yeah the result of the game actually justified his decision making on the punts. The Bucs needed two 4th down penalties AND a couple crazy deflections AND a weird bounce on a muffed punt AND Siran Neal just missing a punt recover at the 1, just to get the team in position to try a low percentage hail mary. The only way you give the Bucs life is gifting them the ball at midfield.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Fixed it for you.   And even then if we don't win by enough points it still may not change.

I was torturing some benefit of the doubt.

If we're either beaten by a worse team or lose due to not playing our best, he'll make his own bed.

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah the result of the game actually justified his decision making on the punts. The Bucs needed two 4th down penalties AND a couple crazy deflections AND a weird bounce on a muffed punt AND Siran Neal just missing a punt recover at the 1, just to get the team in position to try a low percentage hail mary. The only way you give the Bucs life is gifting them the ball at midfield.

Yep punts were the right decision, that drive was ridiculous they got every call they needed and even beyond that they even got ridiculous bounces too. The issue that bugged me was it seemed like we changed the offensive game plan once we were up by 14 to burn clock, if that was the case that was a mistake.

• Agree 4

I think we're the best team in the AFC this year - even w/ the injuries.

But we don't have the best record.  A lot of that has to come down to coaching. Reid is the best. Harbaugh is top 5. Peterson has won a SB.

I still contend that McD isn't a bad coach - but he's not a great coach, or top tier. Right now, the coaching holds us back more than anything. But, they can improve. They did on Thursday - going no huddle, letting JA run more. They can adapt. They have to be at their best for us to really make a title run.

1 minute ago, Success said:

I think we're the best team in the AFC this year - even w/ the injuries.

But we don't have the best record.  A lot of that has to come down to coaching. Reid is the best. Harbaugh is top 5. Peterson has won a SB.

I still contend that McD isn't a bad coach - but he's not a great coach, or top tier. Right now, the coaching holds us back more than anything. But, they can improve. They did on Thursday - going no huddle, letting JA run more. They can adapt. They have to be at their best for us to really make a title run.

I think McDermott can pull it off, he's good at calling the defense, he's been great at getting this team to play for him and each other. He just needs to get out of his own way sometimes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

If only McDermott could get a little more Mike Tomlin into his coaching regimen 😎

So that we could have 3 playoff wins out of 10 games and no conf. championships, in the 12 years since the Steelers lost the 2010 Superbowl?

10 of those years with Ben Roethlisberger and 8 where he was arguably a great to very good QB?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So that we could have 3 playoff wins out of 10 games and no conf. championships, in the 12 years since the Steelers lost the 2010 Superbowl?

10 of those years with Ben Roethlisberger and 8 where he was arguably a great to very good QB?

And never had a losing record with no name QBs. Imagine if he had Josh Allen with Pickens, Freiermuth, Warren/Harris 🤷

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Are most of the mental mistakes/pre-snap penalties on the offense or defense?

Genuinely asking. 

I don't even care anymore what side of the ball they're on.  The Bills are currently #1 in the NFL with 55 penalties.  In 2020 and 2021 we were 6th.  I don't see alot of discipline or improvement going on. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Zac Taylor was a darling in here last season. How we wished we had him as a coach.  Still feel the same?  How much blame does he get for the Bengals struggles?  Didn’t come out prepared for the season. Barely made it to .500.  Only put up 17 against Seattle. Since losing the SB team has regressed.  Fire him? 

I don't follow Cincinnati close enough to understand all the details but Burrow has been less than 100% most of the season and that's had a big impact.  And if he took some things for granted in prepping for the season and had some in-game issues those were mistakes.

But we need to ask, do we think Zac Taylor is going to repeat the same mistakes again for the remainder of the season and again next year?  Or is he going to accept that he did some things incorrectly and then adjust his planning and execution accordingly?  That failure to make a change in thinking and approach after acknowledging some failure is a major gripe of his detractors and is something Sean doesn't do enough of as HC.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, SCBills said:

I’m not the biggest McDermott fan, but it’s wild how if Jordan Phillips doesn’t grab Baker’s face mask for absolutely no reason, nobody is having this conversation following the game. 

Im not saying it’s valid or not valid.. and the conservative decisions ultimately led to a point where if a mistake was made on a defensive series, you opened yourself up to this by constantly asking them to stand up .. but I struggle to go after McDermott for Thursdays game.  

For all the credit we give the offense for looking better, maybe they shouldn’t have put McDermott in three straight no-man’s land 4th down decisions. 

meh. The 3rd down call on the first drive and goal line flop on the second were ugly. Josh straight out of the medical tent straight to a naked play action bootleg? Even in the first half the coaches weren’t handling business in big moments.

15 hours ago, HappyDays said:

which ironically we essentially did gift 3(?) times with those defensive penalties. For all intents and purposes those were turnovers. 

I think the realization that’s frustration is say it’s 4th and 2 for our offense vs 4th and 5 for the defense… which side do you trust to close out the game? 

talent says our offense. Health says our offense. Play calling makes it a complete wild card for our offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Simon changed the title to Of all of the Bills’ issues the biggest is becoming clear - Discipline
2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

which ironically we essentially did gift 3(?) times with those defensive penalties. For all intents and purposes those were turnovers. 

I think the realization that’s frustration is say it’s 4th and 2 for our offense vs 4th and 5 for the defense… which side do you trust to close out the game? 

talent says our offense. Health says our offense. Play calling makes it a complete wild card for our offense. 

Yes. Based on injuries and everything else, the answer should be easily “offense.” But it’s a coin flip. And with the setbacks we’ve suffered on defense, that’s an indictment on the offense. 

• Agree 1

The 2nd punt return hold after Siran Neal cost 33 yards in field position is the biggest indictment that this is an undisciplined team.  The fact that an end of the roster player in Cam Lewis could even come close to committing a hold in that situation is damning. If Cam Lewis don’t fear for his job,  how is there any urgency/accountability anywhere on the roster? 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Yes but with the clock run way down at that point. When up by 2 scores in the 4th quarter you use the clock as another defender.

• 4 weeks later...

Everywhere he went he turned a disorganized team/franchise around. I posted before that this team has no discipline, I think that within the first 5 penalties Dawkins had two of them. It’s nauseating that every time this offense gets going, especially early in the game, they refuse to let success roll their way. I can’t remember ever seeing anything like it consistently. Parcells, amongst many other attributes, believed in being a disciplinarian. If a RB fumbled he went to the bench, if a WR dropped passes he didn’t get to see the field, etc etc. on top of all that McDermott has brought this team/franchise as far as he’s capable of. The rest of anything I can say would only be redundant of what many here have already posted or are aware of. It’s a shame that the Bills had the Eagles beat in their own home despite of the ridiculous officiating just to let it all just disappear into another embarrassing loss. When is enough enough??! Smh.

10 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Everywhere he went he turned a disorganized team/franchise around. I posted before that this team has no discipline, I think that within the first 5 penalties Dawkins had two of them. It’s nauseating that every time this offense gets going, especially early in the game, they refuse to let success roll their way. I can’t remember ever seeing anything like it consistently. Parcells, amongst many other attributes, believed in being a disciplinarian. If a RB fumbled he went to the bench, if a WR dropped passes he didn’t get to see the field, etc etc. on top of all that McDermott has brought this team/franchise as far as he’s capable of. The rest of anything I can say would only be redundant of what many here have already posted or are aware of. It’s a shame that the Bills had the Eagles beat in their own home despite of the ridiculous officiating just to let it all just disappear into another embarrassing loss. When is enough enough??! Smh.

wasn’t everyone around here complaining when clappy pulled Cook for a few series after a fumble? 

Wonder how he’d deal with the offensive turnovers… 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.