Of all of the Bills’ issues the biggest is becoming clear - Discipline

Tipster19

They are undisciplined. It can be debated that McDermott is the problem, which in a way he is solely based on the team being undisciplined. Others point the finger directly at Dorsey which I won’t deny. Could Josh be responsible for a good dose of mistake filled games? This point of view I can understand as well and last but not least that as a whole the team really doesn’t have great players and/or contributors outside of Diggs which I personally don’t agree with. No, it’s being undisciplined. Undisciplined teams do not win consistently or convincingly. That 4th down penalty on Jordan Phillips was the icing on the cake for me. I have zero expectations for this team. If there isn’t a drastic change or improvement with this team in being disciplined they are going nowhere. In this scenario McDermott is solely responsible for them being a mess and either he addresses it and gets it corrected or he doesn’t and that people is the biggest problem with this team.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

They are undisciplined. It can be debated that McDermott is the problem, which in a way he is solely based on the team being undisciplined. Others point the finger directly at Dorsey which I won’t deny. Could Josh be responsible for a good dose of mistake filled games? This point of view I can understand as well and last but not least that as a whole the team really doesn’t have great players and/or contributors outside of Diggs which I personally don’t agree with. No, it’s being undisciplined. Undisciplined teams do not win consistently or convincingly. That 4th down penalty on Jordan Phillips was the icing on the cake for me. I have zero expectations for this team. If there isn’t a drastic change or improvement with this team in being disciplined they are going nowhere. In this scenario McDermott is solely responsible for them being a mess and either he addresses it and gets it corrected or he doesn’t and that people is the biggest problem with this team.

I’ve said it on here before that it seems McD has lost this team. You can hear it in his voice at pressers. He doesn’t have any answers for losses or bad play. Deflects everything and gives canned responses. I honestly think this is because of 13 seconds. I think that the team rallied and played for each other last year, but the injuries, weird snow outs, and another early exit wiped their faith in McD. I can imagine a room full of grown men that have some bitterness in their hearts that this guy might have coached away their only shot at a SB. The younger players might not feel that way, however as they have many years to compete, but nothing is guaranteed. 

Finally…you can see it in Allen. His body language is telling. He’s not a happy player right now and I think it’s because McD finally got the laid back version now that Daboll is gone and he can will his way on Dorsey. Allen did play with a purpose against the Bucs, and that was great to see. However, conservative play down the stretch set that game up for another last play deciding moment. I just don’t know how many times this team can rally behind mcd, but I guess it will all play itself out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

An offensive coordinator that doesn't understand the importance of a dominant running game.

The Bengals are waiting for you to change nothing with the same results

It starts at the top. You can blame Dorsey all you want, but this is how McD wants to play. It’s why him and Daboll butted heads. I’m not even saying Dorsey is great, but don’t run him up the flag pole and forget that this is how McD wants to play football. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

QB who likes to scramble out of pocket & make spectacular off structure plays that aren't drawn up... 🤔 wonder where it comes from.

It's part of what makes them special too. 

Which of anything, diminishes the contribution of the coach, at least to some extent, which can also be argued that extent.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m not the biggest McDermott fan, but it’s wild how if Jordan Phillips doesn’t grab Baker’s face mask for absolutely no reason, nobody is having this conversation following the game. 

Im not saying it’s valid or not valid.. and the conservative decisions ultimately led to a point where if a mistake was made on a defensive series, you opened yourself up to this by constantly asking them to stand up .. but I struggle to go after McDermott for Thursdays game.  

For all the credit we give the offense for looking better, maybe they shouldn’t have put McDermott in three straight no-man’s land 4th down decisions. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’m not the biggest McDermott fan, but it’s wild how if Jordan Phillips doesn’t grab Baker’s face mask for absolutely no reason, nobody is having this conversation following the game. 

Im not saying it’s valid or not valid.. and the conservative decisions ultimately led to a point where if a mistake was made on a defensive series, you opened yourself up to this by constantly asking them to stand up .. but I struggle to go after McDermott for Thursdays game.  

For all the credit we give the offense for looking better, maybe they shouldn’t have put McDermott in three straight no-man’s land 4th down decisions. 

It's hardly "just one game." 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

A random hand on a face mask in a split second has literally nothing to do with discipline.

Now if players were committing personal fouls regularly after the whistle or taking constant false starts/Offside penalties or a myriad of other things that show lack of discipline, then sure.

But don't hold up something that has nothing do with discipline as the "shining example" of lack of discipline.

Makes you look like a clown.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's hardly "just one game." 

Understood, but I actually thought McDermott was good against TB. 

Bigger test next Sunday, but my main issue with him was that in order for us to be able to win a Super Bowl, he needs to take charge on defense and be able to do more with less.  

So when our defense was trash against New England, I was pretty much done with him if it continued. 

Only one game, but he made adjustments and the defense dominated an ok offense with the best receiving weapons we’ve seen all season outside Miami.   He did so, in part, by making an interesting adjustment with three Safeties knocking Poyer down to LB on passing downs. 

We’ll see if it continues, but that’s what I need to see out of him if I am to believe we can ever win a Super Bowl with him.  

The Offense was better.  A lot of encouraging things were shown.  They still need to be much better.  Outside of the punts, which I agreed with at the time, he allowed them to be very aggressive in offensive playcalling. 

They didn’t get it done in ANY of their possessions after going up 24-10.  And it was only 24-10 because of a quick change interception deep in our territory by the offense.  

I think the defensive injuries will tell us a lot about whether we can ever get over the hump with him.   Lots of coaches could win with the defense we had fully healthy.   That was an elite, top 2 defensive roster.  

Now it’s more middle of the pack.  

Now it’s time to see if McDermott can be the difference maker.  

If he can, I think we can win with him as a defensive HC. 

If not, what’s the point of depriving JA a consistent offensive mind? 

This year should be very telling…

Edited by SCBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Something was gonna change re: support for McD, one way or another this season, seven seasons in.

One can also only live on backing into the playoffs in one's inaugural season, as the worst of the other 7th-seed contenders, for so long. 

After 7 seasons, McD's playoff track record here is all but identical to that on Carolina when he was the DC under Rivera.  

There, 1 WC round loss

2 D round losses

1 SB loss

Here, 2 WC round losses

2 D round losses

1 CC game lots

Considering the difference in QBs and records of the two teams during those 6 & 7 year stretches, that's ridiculous.  

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Something was gonna change re: support for McD, one way or another this season, seven seasons in.

One can also only live on backing into the playoffs in one's inaugural season, as the worst of the other 7th-seed contenders, for so long. 

After 7 seasons, McD's playoff track record here is all but identical to that on Carolina when he was the DC under Rivera.  

There, 1 WC round loss

2 D round losses

1 SB loss

Here, 2 WC round losses

2 D round losses

1 CC game lots

Considering the difference in QBs and records of the two teams during those 6 & 7 year stretches, that's ridiculous.  

You realize Carolina went 15-1 one season with Newton right?

• Like (+1) 1

This team two years ago had three head coaching level coaches on the staff.  For some reason they now only have one.  Why you would not want as much experience as possible when you have a team ready to compete for a championship I will never understand.  

Teams that win and all the great coaches have always had great and/or experienced coaches on their staffs.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Bigger test next Sunday, but my main issue with him was that in order for us to be able to win a Super Bowl, he needs to take charge on defense and be able to do more with less.  

So when our defense was trash against New England, I was pretty much done with him if it continued. 

Only one game, but he made adjustments and the defense dominated an ok offense with the best receiving weapons we’ve seen all season outside Miami.   He did so, in part, by making an interesting adjustment with three Safeties knocking Poyer down to LB on passing downs. 

We’ll see if it continues, but that’s what I need to see out of him if I am to believe we can ever win a Super Bowl with him.  

The Offense was better.  A lot of encouraging things were shown.  They still need to be much better.  Outside of the punts, which I agreed with at the time, he allowed them to be very aggressive in offensive playcalling. 

They didn’t get it done in ANY of their possessions after going up 24-10.  And it was only 24-10 because of a quick change interception deep in our territory by the offense.  

One game with marginal adjustments, at home, against a team like Tampa isn't significant.

Question though, since we saw some things that we haven't seen on anything close to a regular basis, how is it that they just came out now, after all this time?

Not a good look.  

The rest of the season isn't going to be McD's friend, and he's now fighting what appears to be an uphill battle against the national media.  

Nothing we say or do is going to matter, we can merely bicker over who's on whose lawn.  If he can't make the Conference CG nothing is going to change perception wise.  

And this can easily go from this to much worse to where it becomes obvious even to his stalwart apologists that he needs to go.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think the defensive injuries will tell us a lot about whether we can ever get over the hump with him.   Lots of coaches could win with the defense we had fully healthy.   That was an elite, top 2 defensive roster.  

One of the things that should register with everyone, is that some of the issues that arise, we've been discussing for several seasons.  

That says something as well.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson said:

I see folks putting eye rolls etc emojis up, and they are Homer's that refuse to see the truth.   That truth being, McDermott is holding this team back. They are poorly coached and never consistently prepared.  The last few weeks has shown a spotlight on this.

This team isn't going to, let alone win. A superbowl with McDermott as HC.  We have the next schottenheimer/ Lewis coaching our beloved Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Anyone who brings in Nick Wrong here ought to get paddled with his penis nose.  He's 100% about the clicks.  Don't give them to him.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1647648/nick-wright-may-be-the-biggest-moron-in-the-history-of-morons-and-that-may-not-do-justice-to-how-big-of-a-moron-he-is

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

One of the things that should register with everyone, is that some of the issues that arise, we've been discussing for several seasons.  

That says something as well.  

I don’t disagree. 

Im just willing to see how this season plays out.

Ive always thought that if we’re depriving Allen of an offensive minded HC, the HC better have a huge effect on the defense, especially when it matters.  

With Frazier out of the picture, the buck stops with McD now.   And furthermore, we can lament the injuries, but those injuries didn’t make this defense bereft of talent.  They simply took us from a Top 2 defense to more middle of the pack.  

More NE games and I’m out.  

More TB games, flukeyness aside, and I’m open to withholding criticism until we see what he does when it matters.. against the elite offenses in the Playoffs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Keep your well stated, rational responses to yourself- this is TBD after all :)

You are right that any coach could have won with our D when healthy.  McD will be tested with the parts we have left and it's on him to adjust and make us successful 

Edited by saundena
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

I'd like to add decision making as well. Like who decides who's on the field in certain situations, personnel on the field? Who decides when to throw the challenge flag? Who decides when to go for it on 4th and short and what play to run in those situations? All of these things bothered me the other night!! 

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

I’ve said it on here before that it seems McD has lost this team. You can hear it in his voice at pressers. He doesn’t have any answers for losses or bad play. Deflects everything and gives canned responses. I honestly think this is because of 13 seconds. I think that the team rallied and played for each other last year, but the injuries, weird snow outs, and another early exit wiped their faith in McD. I can imagine a room full of grown men that have some bitterness in their hearts that this guy might have coached away their only shot at a SB. The younger players might not feel that way, however as they have many years to compete, but nothing is guaranteed. 

Finally…you can see it in Allen. His body language is telling. He’s not a happy player right now and I think it’s because McD finally got the laid back version now that Daboll is gone and he can will his way on Dorsey. Allen did play with a purpose against the Bucs, and that was great to see. However, conservative play down the stretch set that game up for another last play deciding moment. I just don’t know how many times this team can rally behind mcd, but I guess it will all play itself out. 

I believe the players love how he handles things off the field. The way he responded to the Damar Hamlin situation was second to none. It's the stuff on the field that MAYBE they question 🤷

• Agree 2

A specific example of coaching.  I have no idea what they're coaching the DB's to do.  They almost never play the ball, which is a techique where PI and holding are rarely called and instead use the screening technique of playing the receiver which can result in a lot of penalties when jumping betwen the receiver and the ball.  I mean turn and look. 

Watch other teams with similar athletes playing better technique.

One more thing.  Bad coaching.  There's no doubt Elam was a good cover guy in college and they broke him.

Good coaches adjust their system to the players they have, not the other way around and maybe the 15 year old Carolina defense is expired?  Invent something of your own Sean for the game in 2023.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is one of the criticisms of McDermott that has some validity.  I believe that the Bills have been one of the most penalized teams in the league since he got here.  So this is clearly not one player nor one play but a long term coaching culture issue.

Edited by Billy Claude

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Anyone who brings in Nick Wrong here ought to get paddled with his penis nose.  He's 100% about the clicks.  Don't give them to him.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1647648/nick-wright-may-be-the-biggest-moron-in-the-history-of-morons-and-that-may-not-do-justice-to-how-big-of-a-moron-he-is

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Today is the one day in nicks life he is right.

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This.  If Phillips doesn't go stupid and try to take Mayfield down instead of bear-hugging him until the whistle blows, it's a 24-10 win.  And remember that this is a Thursday night game where teams don't have a lot of time to rest and prepare.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Listen, Nick Wright is a moron. No debate from me. But I’m not sure that a Dave Portnoy article defending Julian Edelman is the best evidence to support that case. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, saundena said:

Keep your well stated, rational responses to yourself- this is TBD after all :)

You are right that any coach could have won with our D when healthy.  McD will be tested with the parts we have left and it's on him to adjust and make us successful 

Agree

The laugh emoji was re your first sentence.

Und now's the time on Sprockets ven ve hammer Nick Wright into za strudel.  

I like McDermott, but some negative things about this team have become what you'd have to call a pattern.  Not being able to put games away when they have a chance, coming up short in close games more often than not, getting too conservative, and sloppy/undisciplined play.

If I'm making the decisions for this team, this is the year for him.  If this team doesn't at minimum make the AFCCG, I think you'd have to consider making a change.

Personally, I hope it doesn't come to that.  He & the team had some tough circumstances last year.  I hope this year we get hot late & McD can show that he IS the guy to lead this team to a title.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I’d be more critical of the coaching if that late TB td wasn’t both an obvious opi penalty and dumb luck lol. That drive realistically couldve taken a few more minutes and Tampa was getting dangerously close to having to onside kick down one score territory 

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

This.  If Phillips doesn't go stupid and try to take Mayfield down instead of bear-hugging him until the whistle blows, it's a 24-10 win.  And remember that this is a Thursday night game where teams don't have a lot of time to rest and prepare.

Phillips is a dummy but that play absolutely should’ve been blown dead.  TB caught every break imaginable in this one 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

This team two years ago had three head coaching level coaches on the staff.  For some reason they now only have one.  Why you would not want as much experience as possible when you have a team ready to compete for a championship I will never understand.  

Teams that win and all the great coaches have always had great and/or experienced coaches on their staffs.

That is why I said the option of McD performing both HC and DC was a bad idea.  They needed to bring in a DC from the outside.   Like Schwartz, but I think because Schwartz used to be our DC that there was possibly mixed emotions "Bad Blood" about him coming back to Buffalo especially under McD.  Like most NFL analysis from outside the Bills organization has mentioned,  McD has driven away every good coach on this team.  He is not a HC that is respected by other coaches that are on his roster underneath him.  All of us can see this on the field and with his mistakes in every single game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If you're posting something from Nick Wright to try and prove a point...you may want to reconsider your point. 

Usually the case, but just reading the text portion ( I haven’t watched the clip) I’d have to say I don’t disagree here. It makes so much sense, it doesn’t actually seem like a Nick Wright statement! 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

How do you guys not feel embarrassed typing all this ***** up. Unreal

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Zac Taylor was a darling in here last season. How we wished we had him as a coach.  Still feel the same?  How much blame does he get for the Bengals struggles?  Didn’t come out prepared for the season. Barely made it to .500.  Only put up 17 against Seattle. Since losing the SB team has regressed.  Fire him? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.