Why is this team, and staff, so dumb?

Bermuda Triangle

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Sounds like a run to me....

Also, does Shanahan make the same mistakes over and over and over again?

Check the edit. Same point.

3 passes (granted I think McCaffrey was out at this point).

49ers vs Browns 17-16 3:21 left.

1st & 10 at SF 25

(3:21 - 4th) (Shotgun) B.Purdy pass incomplete short right [J.Owusu-Koramoah]. PENALTY on SF-B.Purdy, Intentional Grounding, 11 yards, enforced at SF 25.

2nd & 21 at SF 14

(3:15 - 4th) B.Purdy pass short left to B.Aiyuk pushed ob at SF 24 for 10 yards (M.Emerson).

3rd & 11 at SF 24

(3:07 - 4th) (Shotgun) B.Purdy pass incomplete short right [O.Okoronkwo].

4th & 11 at SF 24

(3:05 - 4th) M.Wishnowsky punts 60 yards to CLV 16, Center-T.Pepper. J.Darden to CLV 26 for 10 yards (S.Jean-Charles).

5 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

I"m talking about "From Sean", which is what every thread on this board has or will devolve into for the rest of time apparently. I'm not trying to be tough, I'm trying to emphasize that I'm not ass-kissing, just trying to ground people in some semblance of a reality of what NFL games are actually like between two teams trying to win

if i mis-interpreted my apologies.

37 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Back to the opening question. This coaching staff, IMO, is the most bullheaded, egotistical staff I've seen in a while. The dumbass fakes on 4th and short really fooled the Bucs 😳. Josh Norman being in uniform while their 1st round pick is inactive 😳. They try to run a play with time running down to end the 3rd qtr and your QB takes a sack losing field position 😳

@Simon when I get on the "offensive" side it's because of stuff like this. Is there a football team that hasn't tried a hard count this year? Why are 50% of the posts produced by the Bills fanbase on the internet something like this? 

Just now, Franco_92 said:

@Simon when I get on the "offensive" side it's because of stuff like this. Is there a football team that hasn't tried a hard count this year? Why are 50% of the posts produced by the Bills fanbase on the internet something like this? 

Pick your battles and use the ignore feature for the rest.

You'll like it better.

7 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

I am not pretending that the Bills win was perfect, it was far from it. Read the bold. But if you want me to read your post, I'll comment on your examples.

1. Gabe Davis fumbles against NYG 2 weeks ago, because he failed to shift the ball from his inside hand to outside hand.  He did the same thing today, in the second quarter.  This is basic, fundamental football.
I honestly don't remember Gabe fumbling in this one, but I was helping my wife with a project for part of it. Gabe is a flawed player I hope we move on from. If this happened it is unfortunate. It is not unique to the Bills.  He didn't fumble this week, but it was a pretty glaring lack of basic fundamentals (like poor tackling)

2. Taron Johnson:  how many weeks in a row has he committed a crucial penalty on 3rd or 4th down?

Taron Johnson has had a rough 2 weeks. He is a great slot corner. I think his job is a lot harder with shaky corner and OLB play around him. The dude basically plays two positions at once. But yes, penalties can't happen. This is again far from unique to the Bills.  I'm pretty sure that he's had 3rd/4th down drive extending penalties in at least each of the past 4 weeks.  I don't think is the norm.  He's a good player, but I don't think he's played well since the Miami game.

3.  How many times does McDermott need to see Taron Johnson get beat on the same play in the end zone?

-and goal plays are successful in the NFL. - Maybe....I'm used to seeing our team line up in shotgun from the 1-yard line. We were beat on this one but historically have been very good on average in these situations. Taron's coverage on this touchdown was fine, and Baker put that ball in the only place it could be completed. It sucks, but this is not something unique to the Bills.  I don't recall the Bills running such plays - maybe they should, if these plays are as successful as you claim.

4. Dorsey, and his affinity for the shotgun on 3rd and short plays, deep in enemy territory.  Second time in 3 weeks.  

Again, shotgun formations work better in goal to go situations at the 1, data has proven this, google "the athletic shotgun goal line plays" for an article written last year that has the data. Allen is a shotgun quarterback. He prefers it, and will always take most of his snaps from the shotgun. Dorsey needs to, and does, keep him honest and get him under center sometimes. He threw a pick from under center in both of the last two weeks. I am materially unconcerned with this distinction , it is one of a million things bills mafia latches onto and pretends is a magic "fix everything" button.   So, you're on record as stating that you're fine with shotgun formations from the 1-yard line?

5. The horrible job on the Hail Mary - again.  Got burned on Hail Murray, and almost inexplicably, the very next week (maybe the Chargers?)

The hail mary coverage was bad, but whatever it did, not one Tampa player was within 5 yards of, or even looking at, the football.   Yeah, you're wrong there - Godwin was  <5 yards from the ball.  was there a single player between Godwin and the ball? And why did the pass even get into the EZ to begin with?  See #6 below - another dumb Offside penalty.

6. Dumb penalties, poor tackling and lack of discipline.

The Bills have been a historically poor tackling team under Sean, and of course I"d like that to get better, I'll give that to you. Part of this is that they prioritize slight, athletic players to shut down the passing attack, which is how teams win today. Johnson missed an easy tackle on Godwin today - just failed to wrap up - gave Godwin another 10 yards.  Floyd couldn't tackle little Baker Mayfield today - scrambled for >10 yards.  How many missed tackles last week and against Jax?  The poor tackling is not limited to "slight, athletic players". No team has allowed fewer passing yards or a lower QBR since 2017 than the Buffalo Bills. No team. No team has a better point differential than the Bills in the last 3.5 years. Only one team has more wins. This is a solid football operation, much better than the vast majority, and discussion of the things they need to do better is always necessary and is in fact the most interesting part of talking ball, but fans who pretend that the bills are the worst winners in the history of the world need to be stamped out, they are the worst. Your thoughts on the Phillips facemask penalty?  The Oliver headbutt against NYG?  

1 hour ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Why must the same mistakes be made over and over and over again?  Is there any accountability for the players and coaches?

Examples:

1. Gabe Davis fumbles against NYG 2 weeks ago, because he failed to shift the ball from his inside hand to outside hand.  He did the same thing today, in the second quarter.  This is basic, fundamental football.

2. Taron Johnson:  how many weeks in a row has he committed a crucial penalty on 3rd or 4th down?

3.  How many times does McDermott need to see Taron Johnson get beat on the same play in the end zone?

4. Dorsey, and his affinity for the shotgun on 3rd and short plays, deep in enemy territory.  Second time in 3 weeks.  

5. The horrible job on the Hail Mary - again.  Got burned on Hail Murray, and almost inexplicably, the very next week (maybe the Chargers?)

Why did McDermott have the offense take its foot off of the gas after the score became 24-10?  With this defense - its lack of playmakers and anemic pass rush - the margin of error will be thin, so it's imperative that the offense score early AND often.  This game shouldn't have been close.  

Taron defended that play you’re talking about quite well it was just a great throw/catch. 

this Hail Mary criticism is laughable…no one on the field knew where the ball was because baker had to arc it 100 miles in the air since it was out of his range but we’re gonna continue this charade that we were close to giving up a td because it landed a few feet away from a receiver that never saw it?  

margin of error didn’t seem thin tonight, the ball bounced the bucs way every chance it got and we gave them two free first downs on 4th down yet the closest they came to winning was a 60+ yard pass that literally no one even attempted to make a play on 

2 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I have posted elsewhere that I am done seeing Jordan Phillips in a Bills uniform and would cut him and trade for another DT this week. And yes Oliver is ######ed. These are not unique to the Bills, even though the Bills need to improve on these scenarios. Again, for the tenth time, I am not trying to claim the Bills don't have problems to work on - some weeks they have MANY, BIG problems they need to work on. My problem is with fans taking over the board with zero-context moaning after victories as well as losses. I at least expect it to happen after losses, I can't complain then. For 20 minutes after this win, every post was trying to make me believe that the Bills are uniquely bad at winning, and have wins that nobody else in the league who is worth anythign would ever have, even though I watch that happen 5x per weekend. THAT, my friend, is what I post against

Miami is above us right now. They B word about their stupid players and costly penalties too. So do the Chiefs, and the 49ers. It's football, and it needs to be talked about, but not in fatalistic, doomsday, "i told you guys the team is going nowhere" posts that absolutely swamp the entire board the second a VICTORY is in hand

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Jordan's dumba ss face mask when he's already stopped Baker ranks right up there.  So many missed tackles. 2 nice returns by Harty negated by penalties. We should've put this game to bed 31-10.  Penalties are 100% on a lack of coaching discipline. That's on McD.

It was a cuttable offense. It's been a long time since I saw something quite so stupid.

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Taron defended that play you’re talking about quite well it was just a great throw/catch. 

this Hail Mary criticism is laughable…no one on the field knew where the ball was because baker had to arc it 100 miles in the air since it was out of his range but we’re gonna continue this charade that we were close to giving up a td because it landed a few feet away from a receiver that never saw it?  

margin of error didn’t seem thin tonight, the ball bounced the bucs way every chance it got and we gave them two free first downs on 4th down yet the closest they came to winning was a 60+ yard pass that literally no one even attempted to make a play on 

Well to be fair if he was able to throw it that far technically it is in his range. Amount of arc doesn't matter. 

Just now, Alpo Chino said:

Well to be fair if he was able to throw it that far technically it is in his range. Amount of arc doesn't matter. 

It definitely matters…none of the receivers ever located the football…I’ve never seen anything like it.  It was an absolute moonshot. 

people saying ‘we almost lost’ when not a single receiver anywhere near the football knew it was coming is making me chuckle looked like Godwin got completely surprised by it as it whizzed past him 

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It definitely matters…none of the receivers ever located the football…I’ve never seen anything like it.  It was an absolute moonshot. 

people saying ‘we almost lost’ when not a single receiver anywhere near the football knew it was coming is making me chuckle looked like Godwin got completely surprised by it as it whizzed past him 

As far as being in his range, arc doesn't matter. If it does, then how much arc is too much arc to be considered "out of range". Doesn't really make sense. You could even argue that a higher arc might be more effective on a hail mary bc it would allow more receivers to try and get under it. 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

I could make an identical list from any good team's one-score win this year. Easily. Trivially. Twice as long. The context isn't that the Bills were perfect, it's that this is NFL football, and there are very few NFL football games that don't look like this. And the Bills are historically overrepresented in the games that are as flawless as we demand - massive blowout victories. No team in history, or very few, have done that with the frequency of the Bills of these last 4 years. 39% of their games in this struggle-session of a season have been exactly that! 

I think I love you (in a totally platonic way of course), and your takes in this thread. EXTREMELY refreshing. We need more folks like you.

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Freddie&#x27;s Dead said:

My favorite, 3rd and goal on the one inch line.  Butt shove, nah, we line up in shotgun and run Murray for a 2 yard loss.  We come away empty handed, and damn near lost the game because of it.

and then they had a third and goal from the 12 on another series but Josh runs THAT one in😂  You can't script this stuff any better I tell ya'

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Alpo Chino said:

As far as being in his range, arc doesn't matter. If it does, then how much arc is too much arc to be considered "out of range". Doesn't really make sense. You could even argue that a higher arc might be more effective on a hail mary bc it would allow more receivers to try and get under it. 

I mean this is semantics at this point…the ball did not get there when Godwin expected it or he completely lost it in the air..  from experience tracking a ball that’s way up there in a night game of baseball/football/whatever is harder than it looks 

my general point is it’s a stretch to say that Hail Mary almost worked when the guy getting the ball thrown to him had absolutely no idea where it was 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

It's simple: McDermott is in the bottom tier of mediocre coaches. He's a great culture and clubhouse guy, but he's a bad gameday coach and a poor talent evaluator. If he didn't have Josh Allen, he would have been out of a job years ago.

I hope Ted Lasso pays him a residual because I'm fairly certain he's the inspiration for the title character.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's simple: McDermott is in the bottom tier of mediocre coaches. He's a great culture and clubhouse guy, but he's a bad gameday coach and a poor talent evaluator. If he didn't have Josh Allen, he would have been out of a job years ago.

I hope Ted Lasso pays him a residual because I'm fairly certain he's the inspiration for the title character.

Let’s see these tiers… 

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Back to the opening question. This coaching staff, IMO, is the most bullheaded, egotistical staff I've seen in a while. The dumbass fakes on 4th and short really fooled the Bucs 😳. Josh Norman being in uniform while their 1st round pick is inactive 😳. They try to run a play with time running down to end the 3rd qtr and your QB takes a sack losing field position 😳

Eh, at least Norman plays special teams well. 

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I swear when we first lined up in gun on that 3rd down, I immediately felt the collective anguish of 1,000,000 Bills fans like Obi Wan feeling a great disturbance in the force.

Twitter lit up in that moment

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Franco_92 said:

I could make an identical list from any good team's one-score win this year. Easily. Trivially. Twice as long. The context isn't that the Bills were perfect, it's that this is NFL football, and there are very few NFL football games that don't look like this. And the Bills are historically overrepresented in the games that are as flawless as we demand - massive blowout victories. No team in history, or very few, have done that with the frequency of the Bills of these last 4 years. 39% of their games in this struggle-session of a season have been exactly that! 

Dude, don't even try. You're just banging your head against the wall and you'll get nowhere. 

This place is far gone. I'm seriously thinking of leaving for good. It's such a shame.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Agree with the dumb 4th and short fakes, fools no one. Empty backfield on the goal line is incomprehensible. run no counters at all. Remember Thurman running the counter? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

The game was scripted for the Bills to win; McD was tasked with making it look close. Mission accomplished.  
#NFLisrigged

late in the 4th, tv showed Diggs and Allen disussing on the side line, they were calm, Allen had a questionning face, and I'm sure Diggs told him "don't worry we'll win this game but it must look close for Vegas, that's why they'll do a 2pt conv plus the 4th downs flags"

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Jordan's dumba ss face mask when he's already stopped Baker ranks right up there.  So many missed tackles. 2 nice returns by Harty negated by penalties. We should've put this game to bed 31-10.  Penalties are 100% on a lack of coaching discipline. That's on McD.

I think it’s just who Phillips us - a dumbass hype man 

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Let’s see your tiers then!

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

3rd and inches AND 4th and inches. TWO cracks from the half yard line, and we line up shotgun both times. Dont get. Leave 7 points on the board. Disgusting.

They lost a yard on 3rd down, so on 4th they were 1.5 yards from the end zone. Kind of a passing situation there.

7 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Why must the same mistakes be made over and over and over again?  Is there any accountability for the players and coaches?

Examples:

Why did McDermott have the offense take its foot off of the gas after the score became 24-10?  With this defense - its lack of playmakers and anemic pass rush - the margin of error will be thin, so it's imperative that the offense score early AND often.  This game shouldn't have been close.  

You couldn't have written this anymore eloquently 

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean this is semantics at this point…the ball did not get there when Godwin expected it or he completely lost it in the air..  from experience tracking a ball that’s way up there in a night game of baseball/football/whatever is harder than it looks 

my general point is it’s a stretch to say that Hail Mary almost worked when the guy getting the ball thrown to him had absolutely no idea where it was 

The reason Godwin didn't catch it, is because he wasn't looking for it. Not because of how high the ball was in the air. We had THREE guys boxing out Mike Evans towards the back of the endzone, leaving a an area open right where Godwin was standing. Had he looked up a 1/2 second earlier he catches it like a punt returner. Maybe the easiest Hail Mary touchdown ever. Watch Aaron Rodgers Hail Mary highlights. Every time he throws it just as high as Baker did. And Rodgers has the highest HM success rate, iirc. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Simon said:

We sound more like entitled asshats at times, that's for sure.

Imagine how bad we'll be if we ever actually win a Super Bowl. :lol:

Some would still find a way to complain! 

I don't care if it came down to the last play and we get luck! If we win the SB that is all that matters!

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Dude, don't even try. You're just banging your head against the wall and you'll get nowhere. 

This place is far gone. I'm seriously thinking of leaving for good. It's such a shame.

While there are some great posters here, overall this is now a place where people come to take their frustrations about life, out on the team.  The endless name calling and hate for the team is pathological. 

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, Franco_92 said:

It is absolutely insane that Bills fans think there is something uniquely horrifying about the way their team wins games. It makes every place you can go to read about the Bills on the internet completely insufferable. 

Tonight is a game that looked EXACTLY like the VAST MAJORITY of games (especially Thursday games) between a good team and a decent team. This was an ARCHETYPE of an NFL football game. And your team won! ***** enjoy it! Holy *****! 

I do agree with this.....but man.......this team is playing way below their standard. Its ugly stuff.

I'm happy the Bills got an important win.  There were many positives, but here are a few:

1.  The offense was much better than in recent weeks.  Getting the ball to the open guy is the right thing to do.  Sure, Diggs' stats took a hit (he's on my fantasy team), but it was great to see Davis, Shakir, and Kincaid having great games.  It will make the Bills much more difficult to defend.  Cook ran the ball effectively when his number was  called.

2.  The defense played better.  Given all the injuries, I thought they performed better than they did last week.  While they gave up a late TD and a 2 point conversion, and allowed Tampa to get into position for a Hail Mary, they contained Tampa for most of the game and Tampa got a lot of help on inadvertent penalties.  I disagree with those who say that Phillips' penalty was a dumb play that warrants cutting him.  Have any of those folks every played the game?  Things happen very fast in real time.  Phillips was just trying to tackle Mayfield and his hand got inadvertently caught up in the facemask.  He couldn't even see where his hand was at the time.  Unfortunate, yes.  Intentional/stupid?  No.

3.  Special teams was better.  Bass did not miss any kicks and Harty had a breakout game as a punt returner.  Harty was MUCH better than he has shown all season and he did so on multiple occasions.

Also a few negatives:

1.  The offense played a bit too conservatively late in the game.  They didn't score a point after the midpoint of the 3rd quarter.  They should have gone for it on at least one of the late 4th downs to put Tampa away.  The depleted defense can't be relied on and it almost backfired.  Tampa had a legitimate chance on the Hail Mary.

2.  McDermott's use of timeouts on defense is baffling.  He consistently gives a harried offense, with time running down on them, a chance to regroup and get settled.  It usually costs the Bills.  It gives me flashbacks of 13 seconds.

3.  The goal line offense.  Take a couple of shots at a QB sneak.  "Tush push" or not, Allen is a big strong guy who can get a yard or less a very high percentage of the time.  Even if you get stuffed once, chances are they're not going to stop it twice.

So, overall, I'm happy with the win, but see room for improvement in the game management.  I'm not ready to fire anyone or put them on the hot seat, but hope they trust the process if the process means evaluating their own decisions and making improvements in the future.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Franco_92 said:

The difference, and the bit of critical importance, is in the why. Teams miss plays or struggle with situational assignments every week, even future Super Bowl champions. No one is disputing that. When teams and players struggle the same way, for the same reasons year over year that's not at all the same thing as KC barely escaping with a win against the Jets or Vikings or SF dropping two games in a row to big underdogs.

When we get sent home in January (or earlier), you can pretend to be surprised or think we were just one or two plays away, but the story of what will happen this winter was started years ago and this chapter was written in the offseason both by the Bills' action and inaction.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Franco_92 said:

I am as surprised that a 14 point late 4th quarter lead turned into a 6 point 4th quarter lead against a decent but not great team tonight, as I was when Denver had the ball down one score late in the 4th quarter against KC two weeks ago, yes. Or that Houston took them to OT last year. Because I watch NFL football. This was an NFL football game, that the Bills won. Like all NFL teams in all NFL games, they have a lot they can work on, but unlike some teams, they won the game, and unlike most teams in the entire history of the league, the Bills get an obscene number of blowout wins that fans have decided are the only acceptable way to experience an NFL game. 

Hand it over, I'm having a blast! 

Unless that means you're gonna warn me. Please don't I will behave I"m sorry!!

Maybe its because us fans that are older have seen this happen before.  A good indicator of the future is the past.  It doesn't mean we don't care, it means we care too much and don't want to just say "keep trying".  We need innovators, unpredictability and swagger.  Not safety, timidity or same ole same ole. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.