Simms: Gabe Davis is a good player, but he's not a number two

SydneyBillsFan

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

No doubt.  We obviously disagree as to the extent that coaching is implicated.  

As sunshynman just said, there are far too many times where multiple receivers are in the same exact spot or other such issues, that have nothing to do with the WR-ing talent.  Among other issues that are not directly related to the talent.  

Also, If they cannot take a proven good-hands and excellent route-running talent like Kincaid, and get a little bit more than what's presently pacing for 334 yards, 0 TDs, a dozen 1st-Downs, all on fewer than 7 Yards-per-Catch, it's a tough battle claiming that coaching isn't the biggest reason for that ridiculous output.  I think most people here will be stunned if Kincaid doesn't put up at least what Knox did last season.  

And at the very minimum then, start holding Beane accountable for drafts that force us to go the free-agency route.  

I don't think Dorsey is an all world offensive talent at OC or anything. I think he is a good coach learning on the job and is doing a very respectable job working w what he has.

Route design or spacing can be a coaching issue or a player issue tbh, as for Kincaid 400 or so yards was what some of us put down when we did preseason projections. He's a rookie so I don't know how proven a talent you can argue he is. He looks good sometimes and other times not so good.

And I definitely blame the FO for not putting enough talent on the offensive side of the ball, but also realistic when it comes to expectations for this particular group.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think Dorsey is an all world offensive talent at OC or anything. I think he is a good coach learning on the job and is doing a very respectable job working w what he has.

We'll see how this season progresses.  But there's a strong argument for having an "all world" or at least highly experienced OC for Allen and the offense at this point.  

In terms of coaching, the offense has seemingly been the red-headed stepchild of the team on McD's watch.  

This season will reveal much, but McD's taking risks with his tenure as a HC if he doesn't address the situation if it doesn't correct itself.  

Route design or spacing can be a coaching issue or a player issue tbh, as for Kincaid 400 or so yards was what some of us put down when we did preseason projections. He's a rookie so I don't know how proven a talent you can argue he is. He looks good sometimes and other times not so good.  

One of his strengths coming out is route-running.  So once we start blaming the players, and a rookie who was arguably the strongest route-running prospect among all TEs in the draft, and a strong candidate to make an impact as a rookie, then those fingers doing the pointing begin to go limp.  

And I definitely blame the FO for not putting enough talent on the offensive side of the ball, but also realistic when it comes to expectations for this particular group.

Agree

9 hours ago, Mango said:

Bengals - All of those players on a rookie contracts - Nobody is saying the Bills shouldn't draft a WR

Rams - if we can sign OBJ to a $850k deal we should do it. Also Kupp cost them $2M that year. Woods wasn't on the roster. 

Philly - QB on a rookie contract. You can choose their win or their loss. But both had next to zero cost at the QB position. 

San Fran - Sure, go ahead, get rid of the QB contract, go get me a 7th rounder to play the position, then use that money to sign all the skill positions. 

We should've drafted a WR last year. Or the year before.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

This is a really good question.

For some context, in 2019, the Bills #2 in yards and targets was Cole Beasley, with 106 targets for 778 yards 8.4 Y/R, 34 1D

2020, Beasley again, 107 targets for 967 yards 11.8 Y/R, 58 1D

2021, Beasley 112 receptions, 693 yds, but less Y/R 7.8, and fewer 1D 34

I take some flak for this, but I feel (and Chris Simms seems to agree) that what the Bills offense needs is a reliable outlet on short and intermediate routes, who is almost always open and can get those 1Ds and keep the chains moving.  So on that question, is 600-800 yds a year enough? it depends on the yards.  If it's 6-8 yds consistently on 2nd and 10 to put us in 3rd and short, or 5 yards on 3rd and 4 to get the 1D - it's probably enough. 

If we have that AND the 900-ish yards Davis is on pace to generate, that will probably be enough.

The Bills had a reliable outlet on short and intermediate routes as their WR2 from 2019-2021 and weren't even that close to reaching a Super Bowl (getting dismantled early in their one AFCCG appearance).

The 6 teams that reached those 3 SB's all had a more talented second options.

In an effort to find answers I can see why some Bills fans are rationalizing that maybe just adding a role player(read:cheap/slot) would level the playing field in the postseason with teams like Cinci/SF/Philly/KC........but that's a tall order.    

Even if you believe that maybe they can get by KC because KC isn't getting great immediate results from all those 2nd and 3rd round picks they've expended on wide receivers the past couple seasons........you still likely have to beat at least 1 or 2 more of that group and Miami to win a SB.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills had a reliable outlet on short and intermediate routes as their WR2 from 2019-2021 and weren't even that close to reaching a Super Bowl (getting dismantled early in their one AFCCG appearance).

In an effort to find answers I can see why some Bills fans are rationalizing that maybe just adding a role player(read:cheap/slot) would level the playing field in the postseason with teams like Cinci/SF/Philly/KC........but that's a tall order.    

Even if you believe that maybe they can get by KC because KC isn't getting great immediate results from all those 2nd and 3rd round picks they've expended on wide receivers the past couple seasons........you still likely have to beat at least 1 or 2 more of that group and Miami to win a SB.

Counterpoint:

We have beaten Miami 3 out of the last 4 with the deficient Gabe Davis and no slot WR.  So I think we'll be okay on that front.

KC also beat the Eagles last season in the SB with worse second options.  And beat the Bengals with worse second options to get there.

Now, there are other reasons KC wins, namely the best QB in football and the best offensive coach in football, but still.

I think serious questions about offensive roster management need to be discussed at this point.  I think everyone, even folks that like Gabe, can agree that Diggs/Davis/Sherfield/Harty ain't enough juice in the WR room with Dorsey behind the wheel.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is a great reminder. 

WGR (especially the morning show) pine for "easy button" Cole Beasley routes again - and that's the role they pegged Dalton Kincaid for, and maybe to some degree Brandon Beane.

They constantly equate the Bills and Chiefs as the same team because the betting odds are the same. 

There is a gap, and the Bills need more playmaking. Chris Simms is correct, just as he was when he pointed this out last year. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Counterpoint:

We have beaten Miami 3 out of the last 4 with the deficient Gabe Davis and no slot WR.  So I think we'll be okay on that front.

KC also beat the Eagles last season in the SB with worse second options.  And beat the Bengals with worse second options to get there.

Now, there are other reasons KC wins, namely the best QB in football and the best offensive coach in football, but still.

I think serious questions about offensive roster management need to be discussed at this point.  I think everyone, even folks that like Gabe, can agree that Diggs/Davis/Sherfield/Harty ain't enough juice in the WR room with Dorsey behind the wheel.

If the counterpoint there can be EXCEPTIONS.....

Of course.    The Broncos won a SB with Peyton Manning at QB after he threw 9 TD and 17 INT.     So stranger things have happened.

The point is that the overwhelming majority of teams that have reached SB's in the past decade or so have had 2 star receiving options.

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

We should've drafted a WR last year. Or the year before.

I don’t disagree. Part of point is me yelling at the collective clouds who keep trying to sing a $15-20M receiver to line up next to Diggs. 

When you pay your guys, you have to draft well and identify cheap FA with specific skill sets to fill specific roles. We can do better at both those things.

Edited by Mango
Why do the Sabres still suck
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If the counterpoint there can be EXCEPTIONS.....

Of course.    The Broncos won a SB with Peyton Manning at QB after he threw 9 TD and 17 INT.     So stranger things have happened.

The point is that the overwhelming majority of teams that have reached SB's in the past decade or so have had 2 star receiving options.

There's no doubt that 2 great WR's can help.

I guess my question is: What does this mean to you in the context of the Bills in 2023?  You have the opinion that Gabe hasn't grown his game since his rookie year (which I pretty much agree with), right?  That despite outplaying his draft status, he just hasn't been good enough to fill the role we needed out of him, right? So why over the last 2 years has he been trotted out there to fill the role of our "1B?"  That's not Gabe's decision. Who do you blame for the state of the Bills' WR room?  Did you think Gabe had the potential to become that guy and just hasn't?

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I don’t agree. Part of point is me yelling at the collective clouds who keep trying to sing a $15-20M receiver to line up next to Diggs. 

When you pay your guys, you have to draft well and identify cheap FA with specific skill sets to fill specific roles. We can do better at both those things.

You don't agree that we should've drafted a WR higher than the fourth round in the last 4 years at least once with a superstar QB?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I guess my question is: What does this mean to you in the context of the Bills in 2023?  You have the opinion that Gabe hasn't grown his game since his rookie year (which I pretty much agree with), right?  That despite outplaying his draft status, he just hasn't been good enough to fill the role we needed out of him, right? So why over the last 2 years has he been trotted out there to fill the role of our "1B?"  That's not Gabe's decision. Who do you blame for the state of the Bills' WR room?  Did you think Gabe had the potential to become that guy and just hasn't?

You don't agree that we should've drafted a WR higher than the fourth round in the last 4 years at least once with a superstar QB?

ahhh shirt. That was supposed to be disagree. I don’t disagree. 

Sorry I watched the Sabres. Depression is setting in. 

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Putting him in the top 27 would make him a #1.  To not be a number 2 he'd have to fall out of the top 60.

It's such a dumb argument.  No, he's not a high end #2 but he's certainly a #2

You still don’t get it. You’re making it all about his numbers instead of his actual talent. These are 2 separate issues. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Let’s start by seeing if we can establish some grounds for agreement:

I do not think we currently have the same level of offensive talent currently that we had in 2021.  We did not do an adequate job of replacing Sanders and Beasley, who were both “on the downhill slide” but better in their respective roles in 2021 than Davis and McKenzie in 2022.  We have the potential for a better run game/pass catching RB and a better pass catching TE, but that potential has not yet been realized,

That said: do you truly believe that offensive talent was the issue in the Bills missing out on the AFCCG by 13 seconds in 2021?  If you do, can you outline your arguements for that belief?

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Davis could be your WR2 if you have a really good slot presence like 2019-2020 Cole Beasley. The issue is the Bills do not have that short to mid range consistent threat.

well if we had a really good slot then said slot would be our #2, not Davis. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Because of the big influx of WR talent that began in 2018 (after several near bereft draft classes) having 2 or 3 very good receivers has become much more possible and more of a necessity than a luxury.

And no.........I don't blame Gabe at all.    He just doesn't have the ability to do the things he hasn't been able to do, IMO.   He's a very nice specialized deep threat option for Josh Allen.   I blame McBeane.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I agree.  With our current personnel I would like to see more short, high percentage, passing to Cook/Kincaid and Knox.  You still have Diggs targeted a lot, and slightly reduce the number of targets to Gabe.   We've seen flashes that this could be potent.  I think McDemott was talking to this.

I’d just like to make the point, that both Davis and especially Diggs, could have their targets reduced a bit without reducing their offensive contributions (catches and yards) diminished at all - the reason being that at times Allen is making extremely low percentage throws or even throwing balls away in their direction, when he should be getting the throw out in rhythm and on time to Cook or Kincaid.  

Knox, needs to clean up whatever has caused his catch % to drop and his drop % to climb towards his rookie and 2nd year.

26 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I do not think we currently have the same level of offensive talent currently that we had in 2021.  We did not do an adequate job of replacing Sanders and Beasley, who were both “on the downhill slide” but better in their respective roles in 2021 than Davis and McKenzie in 2022.  We have the potential for a better run game/pass catching RB and a better pass catching TE, but that potential has not yet been realized,

That said: do you truly believe that offensive talent was the issue in the Bills missing out on the AFCCG by 13 seconds in 2021?  If you do, can you outline your arguements for that belief?

Not too worried about duplicating the 2021 offensive talent comparison because I don't(and didn't) think they had done enough then either.    They proved that during the season with their inconsistency and low floor.   They had a great game against the Pats but IMO still needed a lucky break that the Chiefs secondary was so banged up in that 13 seconds game that Davis didn't have to face a CB2 level CB......but Diggs was still held to just 7 total yards by Spags' scheming.    That's the problem with not enough weapons at WR.   Diggs can be schemed out of the offense by a good defense because there isn't anyone whose a tough cover in the Bills receiving corps besides him.      

Also, fwiw,  I've come to realize that the Bengals probably beat the Bills at home in that AFCCG if they had managed to win in KC.    Styles make fights and the Bengals styles  on O and D are a bad matchup for the Bills.   They have given the Chiefs all they can handle too.........but in the two Bills/Bengals meetings last year they looked totally overmatched.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Offensively, the Bills went to sleep in that 13 seconds game at moments. I know we like to fondly remember it as a near perfect game from Josh (and it was), but we had 4 punts to the Chiefs 2, we were 6-14 on third down (Chiefs were 8-13) and the Chiefs had 10 more offensive plays and over 130 yards more of offense.

Josh Allen made some miracle plays to keep the game alive. the Bills were 4/4 on 4th down, in large part due to Allen putting basically the rest of the offense on his back. 

I would say the 13 seconds game was probably the best performance of Josh’s career considering the stakes, the moment, and the gigantic plays he made. But I wouldn’t say the rest of the offense was the same.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Beast said:

If he’s not a #2 then he’s a #4. Your 3 wr needs to be a shifty, underneath guy with sure hands that finds the sticks.

Not so sure I agree with this. If we had Say a guy like Beasley in the slot, he would be your shifty, chain mover and could be #2, while Davis could be #3. No? I think it all goes back to "What's a #2 or #3". Targets? Position? Does your #2 have to play outside? 

22 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Not so sure I agree with this. If we had Say a guy like Beasley in the slot, he would be your shifty, chain mover and could be #2, while Davis could be #3. No? I think it all goes back to "What's a #2 or #3". Targets? Position? Does your #2 have to play outside? 

Whoever is on the field more.

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

*sigh* this begs the question "what is a real difference maker"?  It sounds like the kissing cousin to the question "what do you mean by #2 WR?"

Previously we were at "if him doing better doesn't make our team results better, then I gotta think he's not making the team better".  Well, he is, clearly, making the Bills team better and has made the Bills team better since he was drafted in the 4th round.

But if we're now talking "real difference maker" as in "guy who can totally take over the game if you manage to shut down the #1", we're now into "I'll take teams with two number one receivers, Alex" and the answer "What are Miami, Cincy, Philly, and San Francisco?"

If we want to say Gabe Davis isn't Jaylen Waddle, Tee Higgins,  Devonta Smith, or Deebo Samuel - well, No.  No, on  the evidence to date, he's not.  Fair enough. 

He wasn't drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, either.

The Bills are trying to get WR Champagne on a Beer Budget, is part of the issue.

That, is a very good question.

no, the point is he succeeds almost only in situations where other players on the roster, and many players in the nfl, would also succeed.  he doesn't offer enough (or not enough above replacement level) to be an impact player.

bease and brown, for the first two years they were here at least, were much more impactful players, and they weren't exactly expensive.

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I’d just like to make the point, that both Davis and especially Diggs, could have their targets reduced a bit without reducing their offensive contributions (catches and yards) diminished at all - the reason being that at times Allen is making extremely low percentage throws or even throwing balls away in their direction, when he should be getting the throw out in rhythm and on time to Cook or Kincaid.  

Knox, needs to clean up whatever has caused his catch % to drop and his drop % to climb towards his rookie and 2nd year.

I think Knox has good hands and should be included in regularly receiving targets.  This catch and drop % stuff is highly subjective and subject to large movements based on the small sample size. 

For instance, do you call the incompletion at the end of the Giants game a drop?  For a player with about 25 targets and 14 receptions these subjective calls make a big difference.

On 10/18/2023 at 9:06 PM, BigDingus said:

What does "not a number 2" even mean anymore?

Do you really mean he's not a number 1 playing the number 2 role like Jalen Waddle, Tee Higgins, Tyler Lockett or Devonta Smith?

What kind of production do you want out of your WR2? The vast majority of NFL teams would be thrilled to have a WR2 that puts up 800+ yards, 7 TD's & extends the field like Gabe does.

Even right now, he's ranked #27 in receiving yards (automatically putting him ahead of multiple #1's), tied for 4th place in TD's with 5 others (ahead of others like Jamar Chase, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Travis Kelce, Mike Evans, and many other WR1's, TE's, and RB's), and is only 61st in receptions. 

I'd say he's more than adequate as a WR2, with the only issue being he's not as big a threat in the short-intermediate game as we'd like.

This board wants to hate this team. It’s where this country is now….just wanna hate everything.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

BADOLBILZ nailed it by reminding everyone that the closest the Bills got to the Super Bowl was a lopsided defeat in the 2020 AFCCG.

That was peak Beasley, peak Diggs, a declining but still starting John Brown, Knox, Singletary and Moss and probably our best offensive line until 2023, with Daboll.

So I understand why people have positive memories of Beasley, but when we talk evolution of the offense, Allen has said this is Daboll’s offense to a large degree, so it’s been two years of Gabe as the #2 target in this offense, and it’s hard for me to envision right now that without more playmaking this team is going to run the AFC gauntlet in January. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

He is obviously a #2 receiver. He just isn't a great #2.

He could go to a struggling team like the Pats and be a big upgrade for them. He is a solid player.

You have it quite backwards.

The Pats have one of the most punchless WR corps for sure but Gabe would probably have to split time on the boundary with DeVante Parker if Davis was with the Pats.   Gabe is more of a deep threat but Parker is much better at catching contested throws so they would probably rotate depending on down/distance/circumstance as the 3rd/4th option behind Juju and Kendrick Bourne in terms of target share.

Gabe couldn't even make the rosters in Miami or SF.    Just doesn't get open quick, run routes well enough or catch contested passes well enough to fit in those offenses and since he doesn't contribute on ST's he isn't roster-able if he's not in the top 3.

He is in the best possible situation for him to produce.........a team with a big armed QB who can buy 4-5 seconds for Gabe to actually get open and then make the throws in places where CB's usually don't have to cover.   He is just too high up the target list in Buffalo and that leads to way to many mistakes and inefficiencies.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

Offensively, the Bills went to sleep in that 13 seconds game at moments. I know we like to fondly remember it as a near perfect game from Josh (and it was), but we had 4 punts to the Chiefs 2, we were 6-14 on third down (Chiefs were 8-13) and the Chiefs had 10 more offensive plays and over 130 yards more of offense.

Josh Allen made some miracle plays to keep the game alive. the Bills were 4/4 on 4th down, in large part due to Allen putting basically the rest of the offense on his back. 

I would say the 13 seconds game was probably the best performance of Josh’s career considering the stakes, the moment, and the gigantic plays he made. But I wouldn’t say the rest of the offense was the same.

Just to be clear, the Chiefs ran 11 plays for 114 yards AFTER the Bills scored with 13 seconds left. It was pretty even through the first 59:47.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Just to be clear, the Chiefs ran 11 plays for 114 yards AFTER the Bills scored with 13 seconds left. It was pretty even through the first 59:47.

Not sure that changes @FireChans point.    It was pretty even......they had the ball the same amount of times at that point.    KC had missed a makable FG in their final possession of the first half.    So overall it was really even but offensively it wasn't a broadly impressive offensive performance by the Bills.........Allen just played out of his head and Davis was running wide open against blown/poor coverage in a disheveled KC secondary that was instead determined to keep Diggs from doing anything at all.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not sure that changes @FireChans point.    It was pretty even......they had the ball the same amount of times at that point.    KC had missed a makable FG in their final possession of the first half.    So overall it was really even but offensively it wasn't a broadly impressive offensive performance by the Bills.........Allen just played out of his head and Davis was running wide open against blown/poor coverage in a disheveled KC secondary that was instead determined to keep Diggs from doing anything at all.

Ultimately, if the contention is, could the offense have done more to won the 13 seconds game, the answer is undoubtedly YES.

• Agree 1

On 10/20/2023 at 12:52 PM, MJS said:

He is obviously a #2 receiver. He just isn't a great #2.

He could go to a struggling team like the Pats and be a big upgrade for them. He is a solid player.

He is only a #2 by default- because everyone else, other than Diggs, just flat out sucks…

• Disagree 1

A #2 is a guy that can get open when your 1 is doubled. Gabe  doesn’t do this frequently enough. On third down when they double diggs. Your two should be able to get open at least a few times a game. a lot of games he doesn’t. Just pull up his game logs where he goes three games in a row of 2 catches for 24 yard. A two should not disappear as much as Davis does. 

On 10/20/2023 at 1:09 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Gabe couldn't even make the rosters in Miami or SF.    Just doesn't get open quick, run routes well enough or catch contested passes well enough to fit in those offenses and since he doesn't contribute on ST's he isn't roster-able if he's not in the top 3.

Do you honestly think he wouldn’t make those rosters, or are you speaking fanatically? Miami had Hill and Waddle and nobody else, 49ers have Samuel and Aiyuk and nobody else

11 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Do you honestly think he wouldn’t make those rosters, or are you speaking fanatically? Miami had Hill and Waddle and nobody else, 49ers have Samuel and Aiyuk and nobody else

He's speaking more in terms of usage I think

Dolphins ground game is prolific and Niners have McCaffrey and Kittle to feed, Davis probably wouldn't get target share to justify a deal either place

On 10/20/2023 at 5:51 AM, Beast said:

Whoever is on the field more.

Eh.  From his rookie year, Gabe Davis was on the field 2nd most to Diggs and more than Beasley. But no way was Gabe Davis the #2 WR in 2020.  Beasley was the #2 in targets, receptions, and yards, and it wasn't close.  Gabe was out there to block downfield, and it wasn't close.

In 2021, Manny Sands had 2nd most snaps to Diggs and slightly edged Beasley out in yards per game (though Beasley had more targets and more receptions per game)

I don't think it's anything like so simple as "whoever is on the field more is the #2"

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.