Adam Thielen?

Hebert19

So I think a lot are torn on Gabe being a good number 2 or not.  But we can all agree we don't have a number 3.  So why not 2 number 2s.  :)

Thielen looks like he can still get it done.  Has a great history woth diggs.  And is playing on a team likely to shop him...which coincidentally is a team we tend to do some business with. Ha. 

Id say odds on him being answer is >50%

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

So I think a lot are torn on Gabe being a good number 2 or not.  But we can all agree we don't have a number 3.  So why not 2 number 2s.  :)

Thielen looks like he can still get it done.  Has a great history woth diggs.  And is playing on a team likely to shop him...which coincidentally is a team we tend to do some business with. Ha. 

I'd be down, he is basically on a 2 year contract.

Carolina has been rumored to be looking for someone to pair with him. 
Think about it. They have a rookie quarterback they are trying to develop, you’re gonna trade the ONLY guy he has chemistry with for a low round draft pick? 
They have Burns, Chinn and Jackson they are rumored to be shopping. Guys that don’t fit financially with where they are on the build. 

• Agree 1

I'll be the first broken record to comment, Gabe is not a #2. And never will be. 

My opinion is Renfrow, it's risky because QBs and slots need time for chemistry and it would take a bit but josh has shown that he's possibly the best QB in the league when he had a great slot in Beasley. If we could get 3/4 out of Renfrew of what we got from Beasley I think its worth it. And the raiders want to move him.

Edited by Norcalbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Hebert19 said:

According to Spotrac the Bills have about 5.6 million in cap space and I don't know if they could do a mid-season restructure but if they could they could add about 4 million in space by restructuring Dawkins. That's a pretty tight cap situation esp if they can't do any restructuring. But Thielen's contract is pretty manageable. His cap hit for this season is about 3.3 million and his cap hit for next season is 9.9 million but can be restructured down to 6.55 which for a quality vet WR isn't bad.

Could any of the TBD cap scientists put into perspective Thielen's contract if the Bills were to trade for him? What would be the cap hit the rest of this season along with the dead cap issues and cap numbers going forward? I would easily give up a 4th or 5th for him but not so sure I would want to eat a big dead cap number anytime soon for him either. 

As someone posted above, the Panthers are not going to trade WRs. They are looking to add WRs to help develop Young. And the Raiders? They won yesterday and sit at 3-3. The only bad teams that would trade offensive skill players are the Vikings, Broncos, Cards, Titans, and Bears. And I don't see any options on those teams that would be an upgrade except for perhaps Jeudy. And I'm not really a fan.

2 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I'll be the first broken record to comment, Gabe is not a #2. And never will be. 

My opinion is Renfrow, it's risky because QBs and slots need time for chemistry and it would take a bit but josh has shown that he's possibly the best QB in the league when he had a great slot in Beasley. If we could get 3/4 out of Renfrew of what we got from Beasley I think its worth it. And the raiders want to move him.

Renfrow has a huge cap number of 13 million this season and a 5.5 million dead cap next season. Although I am not sure Carolina will trade Thielen his numbers are far more manageable this season and next season cap-wise. I think the Bills likely won't have the cap space to acquire anyone that's going to massively change the complexion of the receiving core outside of maybe Thielen who is a risk at his age. Jerry Jeudy is the best player available outside of maybe Thielen if he hits the trade market and he isn't a difference maker in my opinion at least not currently. Mike Evans likely isn't going to be available due to the fact that the Bucs will likely be in contention for their division. 

I think if the Bills are going to make an offensive addition it's going to be similar to Hines last year. A quality role player who may add a dimension to the offense (if used correctly) but isn't going to be a massive difference-maker. I think Patterson from Atlanta or Mecole Hardman from the Jets are decent options to add more speed to the offense. Both teams aren't using those relatively cheap players. 

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

We sound like Laker fans who scour the rosters of "lesser" teams every year at the trade deadline and propose lopsided deals that would only benefit their team. 

The Lakers did land Pau Gasol for a pair of first-round picks and an expiring contract (The Grizzlies did get Marc Gasol but he was a low-value throw-in) and even last season the Lakers got Rui for a pair of second-round picks. The Lakers at least have a history of lopsided trades that they can go off of. The Bills have never fleeced a team so badly at the time of the trade like the Lakers have several times. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The Lakers did land Pau Gasol for a pair of first-round picks and an expiring contract (The Grizzlies did get Marc Gasol but he was a low-value throw-in) and even last season the Lakers got Rui for a pair of second-round picks. The Lakers at least have a history of lopsided trades that they can go off of. The Bills have never fleeced a team so badly at the time of the trade like the Lakers have several times. 

NFL trades are different. But I was talking about the endless threads on LakersGround in the 2010's proposing things like Cook and a second for Paul George, and then a lengthy post explaining why it would be in the interests of the Pacers to make that deal.  

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Amen. 

I'd take him too but to your point the options routes in this system make a slot change hard.  Could just koce diggs inside more often if you had a guy like AT

Renfrow is interesting. He'd be a perfect addition, but $13M this year & again next year isn't going to work.

He had 103 catches in 2021, along with 1000+ yards & 9 TDs. After the season, the Raiders sign him to a $32M 2-year deal. Then he had 36 catches last season, and only 6 this year. He's played only 42% of snaps this year, and only 7 snaps in the Raiders win over the Pats yesterday. I'm sure they'd love to trade him, but that contract is crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

As someone posted above, the Panthers are not going to trade WRs. They are looking to add WRs to help develop Young. And the Raiders? They won yesterday and sit at 3-3. The only bad teams that would trade offensive skill players are the Vikings, Broncos, Cards, Titans, and Bears. And I don't see any options on those teams that would be an upgrade except for perhaps Jeudy. And I'm not really a fan.

Football Hug GIF by Arizona Cardinals
that’s the guy I’m campaigning for 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

NFL trades are different. But I was talking about the endless threads on LakersGround in the 2010's proposing things like Cook and a second for Paul George, and then a lengthy post explaining why it would be in the interests of the Pacers to make that deal.  

I get your point on Laker fan ridiculous trades my point was that the fanbase has reasons to at least be somewhat delusional or at least overly optimistic given the trades that the organization has pulled off time and time again that were at the time of the trade rather lopsided. The Bills have no history of fleecing teams at the time of trade so no idea why fans would be so delusional. 

11 minutes ago, 947 said:

Renfrow is interesting. He'd be a perfect addition, but $13M this year & again next year isn't going to work.

He had 103 catches in 2021, along with 1000+ yards & 9 TDs. After the season, the Raiders sign him to a $32M 2-year deal. Then he had 36 catches last season, and only 6 this year. He's played only 42% of snaps this year, and only 7 snaps in the Raiders win over the Pats yesterday. I'm sure they'd love to trade him, but that contract is crazy.

The Raiders would have to eat a lot of money for it to work for the Bills. I honestly don't see that happening. I don't know if the Raiders could even pay money on next season's contract either. I think the "big name" trade targets just won't manifest. Look to smaller or mid-level players. I would for sure look at Patterson from Atlanta as a name that could be avaialble. 

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Why in the heck would the Texans trade Stroud's favorite target? Plus, at 3-3 they are still in the thick of things.

Make Houston an offer they can’t refuse. If Houston is being truthful they know they are not winning the Super Bowl this year. They are building for the 2024 and beyond. With that said Nico is a great target. 

Edited by Dr.Sack

What about resurrecting the DHop talk?  The Titans stink.  Dhop is a veteran that does nothing for their future.

DHop has what seems a reasonable contract, 2 yrs $26M+, and he is a third of the way through the year.  If Beane floats out our extra Edmunds third maybe Tenn will eat some of the contract.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This is why people stink at negotiating. They only think about what THEY need, not what their counterpart needs.

The Carolina Panthers traded away their entire future to get up to the #1 overall pick to take a QB.

The Carolina Panthers have one good Wide Receiver on their roster. His name is Adam Thielen.

Why on earth would they trade away their one good receiver and knee cap the development of their #1 overall draft pick?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

Make Houston an offer they can’t refuse. If Houston is being truthful they know they are not winning the Super Bowl this year. They are building for the 2024 and beyond. With that said Nico is a great target. 

Nico is a great target...the Texans appear to have struck gold in the draft with Stroud and Nico. That is the core of their rebuilding. There is no logical reason for them to trade Nico to us...

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.