Giants @ Bills Postgame thread

Simon

8 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yes there were.  In fact there was a lot more then a lot of fans want to acknowledge.  Here's a couple:

In 1991, the Bills best offense of the Super Bowl years lost at NE 16 - 13. The Bills were 10 - 1 and the Pats 3 - 8 when that game was played. Kelly threw 4 INT's.

In 1992, the 5 - 2 Bills hosted the 0 - 7 Pats at Rich Stadium. At halftime the Bills were trailing 7 - 0 and Kelly had thrown 2 INT's.  The fans booed the Bills off the field.  I know this because I was at the game.  The Bills came back and won it 16 - 7.

In 1988, the 11 -2 Bills lost to the 3 - 10 TB Bucs at Tampa 10 - 5.  The Bills trailed 10 - 2 late in the 4th quarter.

A there are a lot more.

For those that appreciate the history of the Bills I highly recommend Sal Maiorana's Relentless. This book as every box score from 1960 through the 1993 season.

It’s called recency bias. People only seem to remember what’s happened in the last game played.

• Agree 1

For all of the criticism of Knox for dropping a low pass - which wasn't a great throw - I thought Diggs drop in the first series was worse. Josh placed it well, away from the defensive player, just above head height, and it was catchable IMO. We see receivers make those catches week in, week out to help their QBs out (and, yes, we see players make catches that Knox messed up too).

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yes there were.  In fact there was a lot more then a lot of fans want to acknowledge.  Here's a couple:

In 1991, the Bills best offense of the Super Bowl years lost at NE 16 - 13. The Bills were 10 - 1 and the Pats 3 - 8 when that game was played. Kelly threw 4 INT's.

In 1992, the 5 - 2 Bills hosted the 0 - 7 Pats at Rich Stadium. At halftime the Bills were trailing 7 - 0 and Kelly had thrown 2 INT's.  The fans booed the Bills off the field.  I know this because I was at the game.  The Bills came back and won it 16 - 7.

In 1988, the 11 -2 Bills lost to the 3 - 10 TB Bucs at Tampa 10 - 5.  The Bills trailed 10 - 2 late in the 4th quarter.

A there are a lot more.

For those that appreciate the history of the Bills I highly recommend Sal Maiorana's Relentless. This book as every box score from 1960 through the 1993 season.

I'm just reacting to your comment which tells me you don't watch much football.  Sure, I wouldn't call it a "good throw" but it wasn't a "crap throw" either I would call it GOOD ENOUGH.

BTW, do you expect Allen to perfectly place the ball on every throw?  When I watch KC I see a lot of over thrown & under thrown Mahomes throws being caught regularly.  Kelsy alone has 3 - 4 per game.

Such a dumb statement. Again, 2 things can be true. He could have caught it, but it was a crap throw. Obviously not GOOD ENOUGH. I don't expect perfection, but you can't place blame only on Knox on that one. Allen was part of the issue with that play. 

• Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Interesting look...Davis appears to be down with possession?  Why was this not overturned on replay review...should have been looked at by the booth since it was a turnover? 

In the game thread I said he knee was down in the replay when they showed it and then went to commercials I thought after them we would have the ball but nothing 

• Agree 4

11 minutes ago, Process said:

Josh looked completely defeated and miserable after the game yesterday. It's way too early in the season for that. 

As fans we can be upset with a game like that. But these guys are battling against other professional athletes, a win is a win. Josh shouldn't be so down about it. 

Still a lot of season left. Gotta keep that fire going .

I expected the Bills were going to destroy this Giants team and I also expect every single Bills player and coach felt the same way.  And not only did they fail to do that, they almost lost, and maybe deserved to lose.  Everybody says the right thing about respect for the opponent and not taking any team lightly on the schedule but that might be what they did last night.  Thinking just showing up would be enough.  While the other guys came to play and take care of business.  Maybe some mental toughness and focus is missing and that's something the coaches need to take care of ASAP.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Interesting look...Davis appears to be down with possession?  Why was this not overturned on replay review...should have been looked at by the booth since it was a turnover? 

I was wondering about that watching the game.   It looked really close to me… but no replays at all.  But clearly his knee looks down there.  Oh well.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone notice how Oliver HAD Taylor on that scramble and if he brought him down that is probably the game as time very well may have expired?

Not being critical of Ed. He’s having a great year but if we had a different outcome that play would have been magnified.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

In the game thread I said he knee was down in the replay when they showed it and then went to commercials I thought after them we would have the ball but nothing 

At the time, I thought he might have been down too and that we should've considered challenging it.  Oh well.  A win is a win but that was not a pleasant evening of football for Bills fans!

4 hours ago, BernieBill said:

It was a disgusting performance from the Bills in a primetime game ... Sean McDermott is a disaster, the Bills offense under his watch is an inconsistent mess ... it's embarrassing to barely beat an already bad and severely injured New York Giants team, to score 14 points.  But "Glory to God," right Sean?

Uh, excuse me sir, the Bills offense has gone from bottom 5 to top 5 under his watch.   And top 5 has been for three years which I would describe as consistent

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

it seemed like the team had this weird dazed look to them, but maybe that's just me projecting based on the feeling of watching it

It doesn't seem like the joy of the game is there this season.

Is it too late to blame this on jet lag as well ? 😏

• Haha (+1) 2

So my biggest item after the game that we won by the way is.

How much are those players going to be fined for the hay maker.

Dion had a foot in his face and reacted.

Brown got knocked down from the blindside.

And Morris pulled Diggs out of the scum.

Allen hit the lb with his left shoulder sticking up for brown.

36 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I rewatched/rewind on DVR live.

It was close, but the ball starts to move as #58 punches at it AND before Gabes knee hits the ground.

The still shot above doesn't do it justice.  Frame by frame you will see the ball move, before knee touches down.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

it seemed like the team had this weird dazed look to them, but maybe that's just me projecting based on the feeling of watching it

It doesn't seem like the joy of the game is there this season.

First off the team was flat layed an egg. 

Second they were still recovering for that ***** tuff in England 🇬🇧 🤧.

The dazed look on Josh's face at the press conference was like I can't believe dobs did this to me

I just re-read the last several pages of this thread and I think a few people mentioned the same thing.

That happy go lucky smile and swagger that Josh had just isn't there much this year. He looks freaking miserable almost every game. 

Maybe it's the weight of expectations, a true issue with Diggs, frustration, or something off the field. But that's the thing I notice most. Even postgame last night when he was interviewed as the winning QB on the field, he seemed like a guy that just lost a playoff game. A couple clichés, then he said "let's go home." 

Couple that with his comment of "same **** different day" after the Jets game and I am starting to worry a bit about his psyche. These guys are human, and I hope whatever it is gets fixed. 

Also, Tirico had set the postgame interview up as Josh and Diggs but it was just Josh standing there looking like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You really need to slowmo frame by frame to see if he has lost control in the image above.  It was close though.....they never showed it, I rewound on the tv but could not slow it down to tell.

10 hours ago, bills6969 said:

How much of the lousy offense tonight was due to Daboll knowing our offense?

This is what I hope took place. I kept thinking during the game... "this is the man who installed our offense. He knows the plays, audibles , hand signals, etc"

46 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

A there are a lot more.

I'm just reacting to your comment which tells me you don't watch much football.  Sure, I wouldn't call it a "good throw" but it wasn't a "crap throw" either I would call it GOOD ENOUGH.

BTW, do you expect Allen to perfectly place the ball on every throw?  When I watch KC I see a lot of over thrown & under thrown Mahomes throws being caught regularly.  Kelsy alone has 3 - 4 per game.

Yeah for whatever reason the Pats often times gave the Bills fits on D...Colts too sometimes, although there were equal number of times the Bills blew them out. Jon Hand on the Colts and the "ippett" brothers on the Patriots D(Andre Tippett and Ronnie Lippett) used to give Kelly problems.

Edited by Big Turk

40 minutes ago, Dan said:

I was wondering about that watching the game.   It looked really close to me… but no replays at all.  But clearly his knee looks down there.  Oh well.

This drove me and my son bananas.  They did show a quick replay and it looked like he was down, and then they cut to commercial and when they came back, the Giants offense was on the field and the announcers said nothing at all.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

The Bills have Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, a good OL and a solid running back room. 

So what’s the problem?

A) Dorsey

B) Lack of a trustworthy #2

C) Both 

I think juries out on (A) although my patience is wearing thin.   (B) though .. (B) is clearly an issue.

Davis isn’t it.  He’s a really good WR3 / Down The Field Threat.  

We have three options…

Hope rookie TE Kincaid develops into that this season

OR trade for a more well rounded WR

OR Shakir/Harty become more reliably integrated in the offense as the season goes on.  

If none of those happen.. I fear we’re stuck with this unpredictable high variance offense.   

At the risk of getting flamed, you cannot win championships targeting one receiver 16 times per game. And it doesn’t matter what the rest of the WR Corp looks like. I don’t care. I would much rather try and have WR’s fail than have offenses run the way they did last night and @Jets. 

Aaron Rodgers is wildly talented and is very open about if you drop the ball he won’t throw it to you. Some of the problem is the WR of course, but QB’s with that mentality also hold their teams back and force them into being one dimensional.

That said, I don’t think it’s a trust issue for Josh. I think Allen legit just wants to throw the ball to Diggs. I’m willing to be they thought they were gonna pop off and put up Madden numbers. They didn’t but they felt like they should so kept trying it. 

5 hours ago, Nitro said:

The problem, IMO, is inconsistent offense/play calling.  Dorsey is erratic in his play selections.  Even though they are head scratching the players need to execcute their assignments.  Two games where six out of eight quarters the offense play was below average.  This is a repeat of last season.  McD has to get a handle on this ASAP!

This also happened under Daboll. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BernieBill said:

"God" is a man-made irrational belief ... McDermott's sermonizing and evangelism embarrasses the Bills organization, insults atheist Bills fans, and demonstrates McDermott to be a painfully ignorant human being, just more evidence he is ill-equipped intellectually to compete with the cream of the NFL coaching crop.  Last night's game was an abomination, means nothing that the Bills "won."  It was a disgraceful performance and that's on McDermott. 

Bernie:  Would you say the following are irrational/ignorant:  Francis Collins, Charles Townes, Paul Ewert, Rosalind Picard, Jing Kong, William Newsome, etc.?

12 hours ago, Process said:

When you consider the opponent, this was the worst game of the season for the o line. Giants defense is terrible. Josh should not have been running for his life as much as he was. 

A few times they came on the delayed blitz and Cook blocks like his eyes are closed.

Completely whiffed and Josh had to magic away from the free rusher.

McDermott had him riding the pine after. As he should.

Blocking on pass plays is an important part of being an every down back.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

That was my thought watching it live. I don’t think we ever got a good replay. Just commercial break then a ruling. 

"God" is a man-made irrational belief ... McDermott's sermonizing and evangelism embarrasses the Bills organization, insults atheist Bills fans, and demonstrates McDermott to be a painfully ignorant human being, just more evidence he is ill-equipped intellectually to compete with the cream of the NFL coaching crop.  Last night's game was an abomination, means nothing that the Bills "won."  It was a disgraceful performance and that's on McDermott. 

Exercise your right to not watch his pressers.

Having your belief system does not mean that others cannot express their own.

That, and there is another board for this kind of circular logic and intolerance.

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

I just re-read the last several pages of this thread and I think a few people mentioned the same thing.

That happy go lucky smile and swagger that Josh had just isn't there much this year. He looks freaking miserable almost every game. 

Maybe it's the weight of expectations, a true issue with Diggs, frustration, or something off the field. But that's the thing I notice most. Even postgame last night when he was interviewed as the winning QB on the field, he seemed like a guy that just lost a playoff game. A couple clichés, then he said "let's go home." 

Couple that with his comment of "same **** different day" after the Jets game and I am starting to worry a bit about his psyche. These guys are human, and I hope whatever it is gets fixed. 

Also, Tirico had set the postgame interview up as Josh and Diggs but it was just Josh standing there looking like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world. 

So I don’t want to worry anybody but….

I believe Hailee Steinfeld has been in attendance for @Jets, Jags, and now Giants. 

It’s unfortunate for her, but if this continues she may get the Romo/Jessica Simpson treatment of being known as a jinx.

You posted this yesterday, so why did you feel the need to post this again?

People have a right to their beliefs.   McDermott has a right to be a Christian, you have a right to be an Atheist.  That is exactly where the conversation about religion should end and steer back to football.   Take your agenda elsewhere. I reported you yesterday and I will report you again.  Seek help for your hatred. 

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

So I don’t want to worry anybody but….

I believe Hailee Steinfeld has been in attendance for @Jets, Jags, and now Giants. 

It’s unfortunate for her, but if this continues she may get the Romo/Jessica Simpson treatment of being known as a jinx.

I think that she was in a suite for the Raiders' game too.

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

I think that she was in a suite for the Raiders' game too.

I didn’t know that. But she was also at Sabres Hopener!

In terms of playing quality sports, Buffalo teams are 1-4 with her in attendance. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Uh, excuse me sir, the Bills offense has gone from bottom 5 to top 5 under his watch.   And top 5 has been for three years which I would describe as consistent

They need to be more consistent, game to game.

The Bills are the type to be unstoppable one week, and easily score 45-50.  Then a week later, they seem asleep for the first 2-3 quarters and barely manager 10-14 points.  That's the type of nonsense that makes you Top 5 in NFL rankings, but earns an early playoff exit.

It's better to be a team that will consistently score 25-30 pretty much every single game.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.