Milano and Daquan to IR. Klein signed.

Gambit

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Interested to see who starts in Milano’s spot. Klein won’t make any mistakes but limited athleticism.

i would put him in at WLB, Rapp at SLB, Bernard at SLB.

it would work. Rapp protected behind DL.

Could also invert it. Rapp at WLB, with Lawson at DE who can set an edge contain solely, letting Rapp play zone coverage.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

we know his floor, we know his ceiling. his floor is better than Williams. i hope he gets the nod.

Disagree. You don’t win SBs being safe. Klein will get picked on in coverage. See what they kid can do first then come back to Klein if need be. Or use Klein in obvious run situations. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 10

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Interested to see who starts in Milano’s spot. Klein won’t make any mistakes but limited athleticism.

I really think they should give the rook the reps. If our Offense doesn't pull a sequel to the Jags game, we shouldn't have a issue beating the Giants.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Could also invert it. Rapp at WLB, with Lawson at DE who can set an edge contain solely, letting Rapp play zone coverage.

How any team won’t run the ball 40 times on that defense would be insane. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Klein actually played his best football for us replacing Milano. People think it was when he replaced Edmund’s, it was actually when he replaced Milano. Milano missed a lot of time in 2020.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

How any team won’t run the ball 40 times on that defense would be insane. 

rapp is a better tackler and angle pursuer than any LB on our active team.

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Disagree. You don’t win SBs being safe. Klein will get picked on in coverage. See what they kid can do first then come back to Klein if need be. Or use Klein in obvious run situations. 

we aren't winning the superbowl. this is a 4-6 loss team and not build for the playoffs.

having williams play in downs and in mixed coverage is worthwhile, same with spector. but both of them are likely lifetime special teamers

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Klein actually played his best football for us replacing Milano. People think it was when he replaced Edmund’s, it was actually when he replaced Milano. Milano missed a lot of time in 2020.

klein played sam in carolina with mcdermott, sam and will in new orleans, mike and will in buffalo.

• Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Can we place Kaiir Elam on IR ?

He looks mighty sick to me....

funny how quickly people forget last year when he was playing well and the 2 or 3 weeks he played at a high level.

29 minutes ago, boyst said:

rapp is a better tackler and angle pursuer than any LB on our active team.

we aren't winning the superbowl. this is a 4-6 loss team and not build for the playoffs.

having williams play in downs and in mixed coverage is worthwhile, same with spector. but both of them are likely lifetime special teamers

klein played sam in carolina with mcdermott, sam and will in new orleans, mike and will in buffalo.

@sunshynman care to elaborate on your emotional response?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’m just going to hope Dorian is legit and then I don’t feel as dejected.  

Dorian has to play these next 3 games to figure things out.  Can always sub for him like we did this week.  

Bernard - Dorian

Dodson - Klein 

If Dorian is just good, with our D line we should still be great v meh offenses and hopefully ok/just hold on v elite ones.  

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, boyst said:

You're right, throw all the backups in, tank it. It's over

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It’s like people don’t remember two flawed 4 seeds playing in the SB just two seasons ago. The Bengals were a 7-loss team that got hot and found some luck down the stretch. They were a drive away from a Lombardi. Heck, the Bills were an injury-riddled 6-loss team that was 13 seconds away from hosting the AFC championship game. 

• Like (+1) 10

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It better be Williams. This is what happens when you take that guy out of the competition and put him behind Milano. Now the guy goes down, you put the fast guy in. The guy most similar to Milano from an athletic and aggression standpoint. It’s our only chance at sustaining high level defense. I don’t want to see old, slow LBs anywhere near the field. Klein can help during practice but when it counts I need 42/43 out there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

It’s like people don’t remember two flawed 4 seeds playing in the SB just two seasons ago. The Bengals were a 7-loss team that got hot and found some luck down the stretch. They were a drive away from a Lombardi. Heck, the Bills were an injury-riddled 6-loss team that was 13 seconds away from hosting the AFC championship game. 

i'm not talking about the playoffs. i am talking about winning the super bowl. i am talking about the regular season until then.

find the wins:

Giants

@Patriots

Bucs

@Bengals

Broncos

Jets

@Eagles

@Chiefs

Cowboys

@Chargers

Patriots

@Dolphins

Between the Chiefs, Eagles and Cowboys - there is likely 2 losses there. The Bengals are getting into stride, could lose that. Traveling west we usually don't fair well against the Chargers, and between them and the Jets I could see a loss there.

Then the motivation topping off the season for Miami who could be playing for first place and a revenge game? I could see a loss in Miami.

It's easy to see 4 losses there.

That puts us on the road against Miami, Cinci, Kansas City, and everyone.

How does McDermott fair on the road in the playoffs?

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

Is there any chance either of them can make a return this season, even for playoffs? I read a lower grade torn pec isn't that long of a recovery time. Assuming Milano's issue is just the fracture and not something else like his knee that puts him at "a few months", at least according to google.

1 hour ago, boyst said:

we know his floor, we know his ceiling. his floor is better than Williams. i hope he gets the nod.

I agree...as much as his age & athleticism is a concern,  you need his experience and leadership in their to work with Bernard & Williams.  He'll do his job but don't expect a bunch of splash plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Williams is a rookie.  That was his first start, and he was thrown into Milano's role.  We don't know his floor yet. 

When Klein was thrown in the game for Milano in 2020, we had people saying here (with reason) he was the worst LB they ever saw play bar none.  Three games and some adjustments later, he was winning DPOW as a LB.

I'm not invested enough to look for receipts, but similar stuff about "lifetime special teamer" "too small and light to tackle" "looked lost out there" etc were said about Bernard last year.  Including, the last two, by me.

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, boyst said:

Well there's an odds-on statement if there ever was one.  

Dallas isn't winning one either.  So there.  :D 

Just horsin' with ya.  

Our playoff performance will hinge upon our offense, which apparently hinges on coaching, which brings up questions. 

I was hopeful at the beginning of the season that our offense would be prolific, and it's still on pace to set a franchise record for Points Scored.  We're on pace for 540, our prior team best is 501 in 2020.  

But I see coaching as holding us back, and the underutilization of our offensive talent, like Kincaid primarily, and last year Hines for example, tells me that Dorsey is the one holding this offense back, not particularly from ranking 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, but from being much better than it is and particularly in key situations, most of which have been discussed here frequently.  It's also indicative that the other players aren't always being optimally used.  McD appears to be neutered to do anything regarding the offense, which is also problematic.  

The defense, seemingly by design, still has great passing D potential and plenty of above-average coverage players and even pass-rushers, even at LB where Bernard and Williams both came into the league with high-end coverage skills.  

But ignoring our 31st YPC and 25 YPG defensive rushing rankings is a mistake.  So far four teams have rushed for over 100 on us, last season only 6 did all season long besides Cincy in the playoffs.  Last season only five ran against us for over 140, this season already three have.  

We also don't play the same set on D, I'm not sure what we play the most, but the players in in the varying spots gets confusing for that reason.  It seems to have worked re: our passing game, but our rushing game is suspect.  

It'll be interesting to see how opposing offenses take on our McD's D now that video has become available for them to prepare by.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, theAteam said:

Is there any chance either of them can make a return this season, even for playoffs? I read a lower grade torn pec isn't that long of a recovery time. Assuming Milano's issue is just the fracture and not something else like his knee that puts him at "a few months", at least according to google.

Who knows...we're getting very little information about the details of their injuries.  At this point they're both probably done.

1 minute ago, theAteam said:

I don't think DaQuan Jones has a lower grade torn pec.

8 minutes ago, boyst said:

i'm not talking about the playoffs. i am talking about winning the super bowl. i am talking about the regular season until then.

find the wins:

Giants

@Patriots

Bucs

@Bengals

Broncos

Jets

@Eagles

@Chiefs

Cowboys

@Chargers

Patriots

@Dolphins

Between the Chiefs, Eagles and Cowboys - there is likely 2 losses there. The Bengals are getting into stride, could lose that. Traveling west we usually don't fair well against the Chargers, and between them and the Jets I could see a loss there.

Then the motivation topping off the season for Miami who could be playing for first place and a revenge game? I could see a loss in Miami.

It's easy to see 4 losses there.

That puts us on the road against Miami, Cinci, Kansas City, and everyone.

How does McDermott fair on the road in the playoffs?

as I said, then it's over, may as well tank it, throw in the backups

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

You can’t put Dodson in for Milano. We will get lit up. If you are going to tell me it’s Dorian Williams and Bernard in there with Bedford and Dane Jackson…it’s bad but it’s not really that bad. There’s a small chance we might even be dangerous on defense with the youthful legs. We have some guys that give you a chance to be a still very high level defense. You can bogg it down with old slow legs out there. Let 42 learn on the fly here and run around and hammer some people.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Williams is a rookie.  That was his first start, and he was thrown into Milano's role.  We don't know his floor yet. 

When Klein was thrown in the game for Milano in 2020, we had people saying here (with reason) he was the worst LB they ever saw play bar none.  Three games and some adjustments later, he was winning DPOW as a LB.

I'm not invested enough to look for receipts, but similar stuff about "lifetime special teamer" "too small and light to tackle" "looked lost out there" etc were said about Bernard last year.  Including, the last two, by me.

oh, i agree with williams being young and turning a corner but i am feeding off of what is offered here.

many insist we are in a championship window and if we are than we need the highest floor possible. that'd be klein over williams in certain schemes/scenarios.

and fwiw i'm not 100% sold on bernard right now. i think he is a scheme player fitting well to McD's defense and time will tell. he is better than i thought by a mile but i cannot believe the team trusted him to start. they partially got lucky. call it the Tom Brady outcome - the Patriots got lucky with him, too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.