[Question] Former Bills who have found success in McD Era?

boyst

In an AJE thread it occured to me that very few if anyplayers have left Buffalo in the McDermott era to succeed. I don't pay as much attention as I used to and old age is making me foggy so help me out:

Who has left Buffalo in the last 6 years and succeeded? [Could be had a good year, could still be in the league, definition is objective]

Two that come to mind are Hughes and Teller who definitely showed they had value after leaving. McKenzie, Singletary, Hodgins, Feleciano are active on rosters and have contributed but not gangbusters.

Edmunds, Lawson, Trubisky... Who else?

I really can't think of any defenders than Hughes.

• Like (+1) 1

Zay Jones in Jacksonville. Quinton Spain had a decent year in Cincinnati after he left.

Honestly, the Bills have not really had to move on from any significant players yet. Tremaine Edmunds is pretty much the first one.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

In an AJE thread it occured to me that very few if anyplayers have left Buffalo in the McDermott era to succeed. I don't pay as much attention as I used to and old age is making me foggy so help me out:

Who has left Buffalo in the last 6 years and succeeded? [Could be had a good year, could still be in the league, definition is objective]

Two that come to mind are Hughes and Teller who definitely showed they had value after leaving. McKenzie, Singletary, Hodgins, Feleciano are active on rosters and have contributed but not gangbusters.

Edmunds, Lawson, Trubisky... Who else?

I really can't think of any defenders than Hughes.

Not sure I'd count Hughes as he was more a numbers thing and is at the tail end of his career.  Was surprised to see he had 9 sacks last season.

I think this is true of most FA.  If the player was really good, the team would have re-signed him.  Wasn't Teller traded too? That's a little different as the Bills didn't just let him go, they got something back and didn't that pick get used to draft Bass?

As Marv Levy once said, Most free agents hurt the team they leave, more than they help the team they go to.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Lost said:

Zack Moss

Yeah, just saw him myself coincidentally.  

He's 3rd in the league in Rushing Yards, tied for 10th in Rushing TDs, 3rd in Rushing 1st-Downs, 9th among RBs for YPC, and perhaps most importantly 3rd in Carries.  

Goes to show you what happens if you give a RB 20 carries a game instead of three RBs 4, 5, or 6 apiece in our idiotic keep players fresh garbage MO.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, just saw him myself coincidentally.  

He's 3rd in the league in Rushing Yards, tied for 10th in Rushing TDs, 3rd in Rushing 1st-Downs, 9th among RBs for YPC, and perhaps most importantly 3rd in Carries.  

Goes to show you what happens if you give a RB 20 carries a game instead of three RBs 4, 5, or 6 apiece in our idiotic keep players fresh garbage MO.  

Our OC only knows how to dial up shotgun draw for no gain on 1st and 2nd so RB or number of carries makes little difference.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Well, a few that are from the early McD days carved out long NFL careers to differing success.

Bobby Trees

Ronald Darby

Sammy Watkins

Feliciano started last year for the Giants and has seen action for SF this year. Heck you could throw a lot of guys on the Giants Daboll brought with him if "still in the league" is a qualifier. Matt Breida. Hodgins ect.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lost said:

Our OC only knows how to dial up shotgun draw for no gain on 1st and 2nd so RB or number of carries makes little difference.

And our head coach is apparently too disconnected from anything offensively speaking that he cannot assist.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Well, a few that are from the early McD days carved out long NFL careers to differing success.

Bobby Trees

Ronald Darby

Sammy Watkins

Feliciano started last year for the Giants and has seen action for SF this year. Heck you could throw a lot of guys on the Giants Daboll brought with him if "still in the league" is a qualifier. Matt Breida. Hodgins ect.

Bobby trees never played for Micky Ds

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Not sure I'd count Hughes as he was more a numbers thing and is at the tail end of his career.  Was surprised to see he had 9 sacks last season.

I think this is true of most FA.  If the player was really good, the team would have re-signed him.  Wasn't Teller traded too? That's a little different as the Bills didn't just let him go, they got something back and didn't that pick get used to draft Bass?

As Marv Levy once said, Most free agents hurt the team they leave, more than they help the team they go to.

You don't count 9 sacks as being good?

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

was looking for available CB's.  Found Keyvon Seymore and Ron Darby on the Ravens roster.

Keyvon Seymore? Huh. There’s a name I haven’t thought of in a while.

looks like Rachad Wildgoose is out of the league. I remember there was a fuss when he got poached by the Jets. 

6 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Keyvon Seymore? Huh. There’s a name I haven’t thought of in a while.

looks like Rachad Wildgoose is out of the league. I remember there was a fuss when he got poached by the Jets. 

who was the rb we had about the same time everyone thought was going to be special?

antonio williams

Edited by boyst

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

who was the rb we had about the same time everyone thought was going to be special?

antonio williams

Oh yeah, the next game-changing running back. Looks like he’s an FA too.

I remember there was another running back who we drafted after Karlos Williams left the league, I think he was a Williams too, maybe played for Arkansas? Can’t remember his name. 

20 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I remember there was another running back who we drafted after Karlos Williams left the league, I think he was a Williams too, maybe played for Arkansas? Can’t remember his name. 

Dude was good but couldn’t put down a chicken wing. That was his problem 

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

And our head coach is apparently too disconnected from anything offensively speaking that he cannot assist.  

You’re one angry fellow. Are you ok? I get the feeling someone pisses in your cereal every morning.

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Dopey said:

You’re one angry fellow. Are you ok? I get the feeling someone pisses in your cereal every morning.

I piss in my own, it saves time.  

😏😉

Hardly angry, I'm one of the least emotional people out there in that way.  Simply not afraid to state the obvious, or what should be obvious.  

8 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Jonathon Williams’ 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Jonathan Williams 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Bobby trees never played for Micky Ds

Robert Woods and Stephon Gilmore both walked the same offseason we brought McD in. Both guys were good in Buffalo and even better after they left. 

Maybe Woods was going to walk regardless, but we could've franchise tagged Gilmore. We also butchered the comp pick formula so we didnt even get 3rd rd comp picks out of them. 

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Robert Woods and Stephon Gilmore both walked the same offseason we brought McD in. Both guys were good in Buffalo and even better after they left. 

Maybe Woods was going to walk regardless, but we could've franchise tagged Gilmore. We also butchered the comp pick formula so we didnt even get 3rd rd comp picks out of them. 

I was criticized constantly on the old Buffalo Bills message board

Because I was adamant Stephon Gilmore was a all pro 

But regardless, woods was a stud here but underutilized.... and he got paid 

So good for him

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Gilmore was the first guy I thought of, but wasn't sure if he counted as McD era.  He's by far the most productive player post-Bills in the last 10 years.   Defensive player of the year, mulitple All-Pro seasons, SB. 

I didnt remember that Woods left the same year.  He had a couple outstanding years with the Rams.

On 10/9/2023 at 9:40 PM, Lost said:

Zack Moss

And FWIW, here are Moss' and Cooks' numbers thus far this season.  

Keep in mind that Moss has played in only four games to Cook's five.  

Moss has 89 carries for 445 Yards, 3 rushing TDs, and 24 1st-Downs, a long run of 56, 5.0 YPC, and 111 YPG, 8 catches for 72 Yards, 1 receiving TD, and 517 YFS

Cook has 61 carries for 292 Yards, 1 rushing TD, 14 1st-Downs, a long run of 36, 4.8 YPC, and 58 YPG;  14 catches for 140 and 0 receiving TDs, and 432 YFS.  

Moss plays with the rookie Richardson on a team that ranked 30th in scoring offense and 27th in yardage offense last season, and is currently 11th in scoring and 12th in yards.  

Cook plays with Allen on a team that ranked 2nd in both scoring and yardage offense last season and which is currently 3rd in scoring and 4th in yardage O.  

I have no idea how that doesn't at least to a significant extent relate to coaching.  ... on a side note.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.