Milano/Jones BOTH require surgery; Per McDermott

BuffaloBillyG

37 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Did the Bills D really do a good job against a Medicare Jags offense? The Jags ran 82 plays for 475 yards and kept the ball for 40 minutes. Let that sink in! No way in hell is that a winning formula. 

The Bills D had a couple of big turnovers to their credit. That's what really kept them in the game. Turnovers are fantastic but usually not sustainable long term. 

Bills punted 6 out their first 7 possessions.  You don’t think, maybe, that accounts for the TOP & Number of Plays?

Bills will force turnovers this year.  QB pressure creates turnovers. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

No time table, but doesn't sound great for either.

When Feliciano tore his pec at the very end of July in 2020, he came back at the beginning of November.  So 3 months.

Milano tore his pec at the beginning of October 2020 and (should have missed) 7 games before coming back on a pitch count.  So call it 8 weeks.  He didn't have surgery as the muscle wasn't completely torn.  [should have missed because they let him try to play in a LB brace and he couldn't even lift his arm]

Stuff around the interweb says torn pec is 8-12 week recovery

Milano though - I think that's season ending. 😥

McDermott not ruling them out for the season is… interesting.  

Bills aren’t usually ones to allow for any optimism/aggressive recovery timeframes.  

Sounds a lot like Jalen Ramsey.   Done for the year vibes and then, maybe not. 

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

When Feliciano tore his pec at the very end of July in 2020, he came back at the beginning of November.  So 3 months.

Milano tore his pec at the beginning of October 2020 and (should have missed) 7 games before coming back on a pitch count.  So call it 8 weeks.  He didn't have surgery as the muscle wasn't completely torn.  [should have missed because they let him try to play in a LB brace and he couldn't even lift his arm]

Has Milano had surgery? If not and the knee is intact there may be an opportunity for him to be back late in the playoffs... depending on which bone/bones were broken. And of course if we make it there. 

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Has Milano had surgery? If not and the knee is intact there may be an opportunity for him to be back late in the playoffs... depending on which bone/bones were broken. And of course if we make it there. 

Google “banged up bills, Matt Milano” , or scroll in this thread as I linked the article. There was a good write up on it.

The doctor doesn’t seem to think Milano will be back this year, but he has cautious optimism on Jones

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Don’t sleep on Jordan Phillips. If he can stay healthy he’s a one man wrecking crew rushing the passer.

If he can stay healthy, I think he can do a better job at replacing Daquan Jones than Dorian Williams can replace Matt Milano or Dane Jackson can replace Tre White. But history says that's a big if. Fingers crossed though.

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

McDermott not ruling them out for the season is… interesting.  

Bills aren’t usually ones to allow for any optimism/aggressive recovery timeframes.  

Sounds a lot like Jalen Ramsey.   Done for the year vibes and then, maybe not. 

Definitely think there's HOPE for Daquan.  

Milano, I think there might be some unknowns.  If BangedupBills is correct with diagnosis, it's a more unique "broken leg" and time frame is a bit more volatile...given fewer of these type of injuries to reference.

Not trying to predict, main silverlining is "appears" Milano avoided a torn ACL (or other serious ligament tear).  That's huge for keeping hope alive for a very late postseason run, but especially for longevity/returning to top form next year. 

Injuries happen and guys miss time, I just hate to see injuries that impact multiple seasons/ability to get back to prior playing level.  So I'm grateful, if these can get back to their level of play in the next year

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Google “banged up bills, Matt Milano” , or scroll in this thread as I linked the article. There was a good write up on it.

The doctor doesn’t seem to think Milano will be back this year, but he has cautious optimism on Jones

If Jones can help in the playoffs I'll take it.  I don't have alot of faith in Ford or Settle.  Losing 58 is f ing brutal.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Oh I'm familiar with it. He does an excellent job, however he's not 100% accurate...and he acknowledges that himself. As any doctor will tell you (and he says as well) it's impossible to properly diagnose through the TV. 

I would say he's likely correct...but with all the unknowns there is a chance he could be off as well.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

McDermott said he would require surgery I believe.

https://bangedupbills.com/2023/10/09/examining-buffalo-bills-matt-milanos-right-knee-injury/

I think he's done for this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Oh I'm familiar with it. He does an excellent job, however he's not 100% accurate...and he acknowledges that himself. As any doctor will tell you (and he says as well) it's impossible to properly diagnose through the TV. 

I would say he's likely correct...but with all the unknowns there is a chance he could be off as well.

Ya that’s fair. It’s probably just the best assessment we have as of right now. But you’re right, it definitely isn’t 100 percent accurate

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

So sounds like we’ve lost Tre & Milano for the year and there’s a chance Jones can get back late in the season. 

Pretty much

18 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If he can stay healthy, I think he can do a better job at replacing Daquan Jones than Dorian Williams can replace Matt Milano or Dane Jackson can replace Tre White. But history says that's a big if. Fingers crossed though.

Big problem with this: Jordan Phillips is a 3TDT.  He's a Big Guy and may LOOK like a 1TDT, but attempts to make him play there in the past have not worked well.

Daquan Jones is a 1TDT.  We do have two 1TDT on the roster in Settle and in Poona Ford.

• Agree 1

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

When SF, MIA, KC loses two 1st team all pros we have a chance. 

This may be the biggest oddity to me in the whole season.

The rate of season ending injury around the league seems to be skyrocketing. The amount of top level injuries seems really high as well.

And yet somehow all the sudden CMC seems to be made of iron and impervious to even a bruise. Make it make sense.🤷🏼‍♂️

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This may be the biggest oddity to me in the whole season.

The rate of season ending injury around the league seems to be skyrocketing. The amount of top level injuries seems really high as well.

And yet somehow all the sudden CMC seems to be made of iron and impervious to even a bruise. Make it make sense.🤷🏼‍♂️

CMC will go down like clockwork. To me the 49ers D is the unit I’d like to see lose their top defender at all 3 levels.

9 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

When SF, MIA, KC loses two 1st team all pros we have a chance. 

Miami lost Ramsey, and who knows if he’s effective late season in a comeback.    Armstead is hanging in by a thread.  

KC doesn’t get injured.  They are invincible aside from Mahomes pretending to sprain an ankle every once in a while. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Miami lost Ramsey, and who knows if he’s effective late season in a comeback.    Armstead is hanging in by a thread.  

KC doesn’t get injured.  They are invincible aside from Mahomes pretending to sprain an ankle every once in a while. 

KC is going to lose Willie Gay, Jones and McDuffie. It’s only fair.

This whole London experience F***ing sucked…. It sucked for me sucked for are team just straight upF****ing for everyone…. Now we’ve lost 2 of our best players on defense and now our seasons prolly in the gosh damn toilet…. I’ll never watch another f’en game over seas on my tv that’s for damn sure… FU NFL for all your money hungry greedy bull s**t….

1 hour ago, Billznut said:

Let me know when KC gets decimated by injuries. Hasn’t happened to them yet the past 5-6 years. They are long overdue. 

Mahomes was hobbling around the field in the Super Bowl. 

Kelce is injured right now

i suspect you don’t pay attention to whether their 5th best DL hurts his pec though as you aren’t hyper focused on their roster 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

i suspect you don’t pay attention to whether their 5th best DL hurts his pec though as you aren’t hyper focused on their roster 

He was 100 percent “Ben roethlisberging” that lol.

He had like over 40 yards rushing that Super Bowl and had some huge scrambles

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

How about last year?

13 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Am I misreading this or are you implying that DaQuon Jones is out 5th best DL?

I don't agree with that ranking but it's not totally outlandish in principle given how good our other players' 2023 performances and/or track records have been. 

That said, Jones was simply balling and is a key part of everything working right. At least Oliver continued to have a monster game without him (he disappeared without Jones sometimes last year), and we have great edge depth

20 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Kelce missed about 3 minutes of game action with his injury, that is not comparable to what people are talking about with the Bills 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Banged Up Bills said 10-12 weeks is realistic for Jones and that Milano's injury is at least not career-threatening injury and noted that it is technically possible for a late playoff return although that would be a perfect recovery. 

I think Jones coming back early to mid-January would be possible but Banged up Bills also mentioned he would have to play with a harness. So even if Jones comes back he likely will be compromised. Just sucks, but this defense is deep and Poona Ford was at one point in 2020 and 2021 a very good run defender. So at least there is someone to try and plug in. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Amazing how a narrative switches. For YEARS I have seen right here on this board that "defense doesn't matter" and it's all about offense these days anyway.

We still have an ELITE defensive line. Floyd and Groot are legit. Add in AJE who is coming along. And anything we get from Von is a plus as well. Ed Oliver is having a career year as well.

We have Bernard making plays every week. Benford hopefully back soon and Dane Jackson is adequate. Will we be as good as before? No of course not. 

But there is no reason to believe this defense can't make some stops. Truthfully, maybe a little new blood and young legs is needed in some spots. 

I think McDermott scheming the defense will be a plus as well. He'll figure out ways to cover some weak spots.

Fortunately, this is all happening early in the year. Gets players like Benford, Williams, Poona or whoever comes in time to get reps and build knowledge in the system. 

Season is far from over IMO

One thing that worries me with what's left is that it's only been five weeks. We are almost certainly going to lose more players on defense and we are already at the breaking point at DB & LB. Injuries happen to every team, but it's a lot easier to plug in other depth guys around your star playmakers. You get to a point where all of your elite talent is already gone, and you can't just keep patching holes when you are already taking on water. 

• Agree 3

I hate (like all of us) .... Loosing Dquan and Millano. ..... But as others have previously said. .... The offense now has to turn it the hell up. ... The trend in upcoming years will be "all in, light it up offenses" , with a secondary focus on D. .. The league wants entertainment $$ and for that reason, they protect the offenses much more than D. The Bills have enough talent on O to keep up with any NFL team..... Yes I'm having a beer or two tonight but ........ zzzzzz ....  it's gunna take a ***** load of luck

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Tre, Milano, Daquan...our 3 best players at each level of the D.  

I hate to say it, but winning the division just became very difficult.  We are already a game behind Miami and still have to face them again in Miami.  Jones and Milano were huge in our win the first time, missing them and Tre automatically for the rematch already dramatically changes that matchup.

We each have 12 games left, one of those is the second head to head in Miami.  If Dolphins win that rematch, that would mean they would have a 2 game lead on us and a better divisional record, meaning we would need to win 3 more games than them over the other remaining 11 games.   So Miami would need to go 8-3 and we would need to be 11-0 over those 11 games which we face Chiefs, Eagles, and Bengals still amongst others.  We already have 2 losses to mid-tier teams as it is.  And if we lose even 1 of those games, that means Miami then needs to go 7-4 in their 11 games.  

Now if we beat Miami again, then winning the division gets a little more achievable, but would still have very little margin of error as we would still need to at least match Miamis record over the other 11 games.  If they win even 1 more game than us, they still win the division.

And if Miami wins the division, that means a probable playoff game in Miami where we won't have weather to help counter some of that speed and will likely be down at least 3 of our best players on defense (unless Milano or Jones can make it back for playoffs).  

So the hard truth here is that the 2 losses vs Jets and Jags which we should have won now loom large divisionally, and to add to our challenge we must be near perfect the rest of the season to realistic have a shot at winning the division without at least 3 of our best defensive players.   

I wouldn’t worry about Miami just yet…3 of their 4 wins are likely against three of the bottom 5 teams in the league and they just snuck by a pretty good afc team week 1.  That’s kind of their MO in the McDaniel era.  They’re 2-6 against playoff teams and those two wins are against injury riddled ravens and bills squads that they barely beat. 

on the flip side of everything you said, beating Miami was huge for us.  If we beat them again that’s a guaranteed tiebreaker against the only afc east team that matters 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Sorry misread your post as being more focused on overcoming the injuries.  

Agree, it will be a challenge to win the division.  I'd say it is not too different than LY or prior (NE).  Injuries aside, those were both situations we had to "catch up"/take care of our business against them toward end of year.

I think it's still way too early/alot can happen, and we've seen alot happen in years past.  1 game differential can be made up literally in a week.  Even being 2 back isn't the end of world.  If we had Miami next week, I'd be more concerned given where we're at injury wise.  I think we need to see what this team does in these circumstances, and get back on track.

All fair points as well bud 

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Vonn

groot

ed o

floyd

daquan

ill buy arguments contrary but i don’t think it’s absurd either. 

Jones is the 2nd best DT on the team. His presence will be sorely missed. There is a huge drop off after him on depth chart. Run defense was terrible after he went down. Jones injury is just as big a hit as Milano and White

Vonn is not a 100% and a shell of himself at the moment. I hope he becomes what he was but at 34 who knows

Edited by noacls

4 minutes ago, noacls said:

Jones is the 2nd best DT on the team. His presence will be sorely missed. There is a huge drop off after hem on depth chart. Run defense was terrible after he went down. Jones injury is just as big a hit as Milano and White

Vonn is not a 100% and a shell of himself at the moment. I hope he becomes what he was but at 34 who knows

Hearing you loud and clear in the first half. DaQuan Jones was the unsung hero of the Bills defense. And Matt Milano was maybe #2 tbh. 

The Von stuff is valid, I guess, but definitionally knee-jerk. 

Sample size lacking.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

Hearing you loud and clear in the first half. DaQuan Jones was the unsung hero of the Bills defense. And Matt Milano was maybe #2 tbh. 

The Von stuff is valid, I guess, but definitionally knee-jerk. 

Sample size lacking.

Nobody is rooting for Von more than me. One of my favorite all time players, however that is a tough injury at 34. 

Pieces in the off-season were pretty good. I think the Poona Ford steps in and solves our run problem he’ll get activated.  You cannot replace a player like Milano so we’re gonna have to bring that rookie along quick and McDermott is going to have to skim around it.

We are going to lose players along the way it’s happening to all the teams in the league we need to press on

5 hours ago, Fetou said:

One thing that worries me with what's left is that it's only been five weeks. We are almost certainly going to lose more players on defense and we are already at the breaking point at DB & LB. Injuries happen to every team, but it's a lot easier to plug in other depth guys around your star playmakers. You get to a point where all of your elite talent is already gone, and you can't just keep patching holes when you are already taking on water. 

Same thing happened last year around this time but it leveled off plus I think getting through the London game because of jet lag and turf conditions, it's probably the most compromised we will be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.