Milano/Jones BOTH require surgery; Per McDermott

BuffaloBillyG

To be honest, I think this is all we could have hoped for at this point..

Milano they were looking at ACL, so that must be intact.

Jones I think we all knew torn pec.

The fact that MCD didn’t rule them out for the year yet? that’s about as positive it can be given McDermotts comments yesterday.

The watt brothers missed a couple months with torn pec injuries, Jon feliciano missed 3 months.

Lets hope he’s around that 10 week range and back for playoffs

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

My knee jerk reaction is that the season is over as far as hope for a SB. Maybe a wildcard game but idk. Too soon to truly know I suppose. 

(rough crowd lol. I did say it was a knee jerk reaction)

so. I'm going to bring this on myself here. I just find it a little fake that so many people would thumb down and laugh at this take. I admitted right out of the gate that it was a knee jerk reaction. Y'all know what that means right?  Other than maybe just trying to act like you are sooooooo confident that losing 3 key pieces of our defense during the last game will still heals the same results as if they were healthy and playing. We all know our safety's are getting old and slowing down. Elam is a first round disappointment. Also this offense is either hot or cold. Losi g to two very bearable teams. The schedule doesn't get any easier. But yeah I'm trash for being honest. I have a bunch of Bills fans who when we talk face to face all same the same thing. Come on here and voice concern and booooo, disagree, trash hahaha. Ok whatever. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 7

They're both season ending. A torn pec takes about 4 months to heal. A rupture about 6. Either way, that's the whole season and playoffs.

Matt Milano and Daquan Jones were the two best performers on our Defense. The ramifications of this on the Defensive side of the ball, is massive. Especially following losing Tre. That's the best player on 3 different levels of our squad. 

It's so frustrating because I felt injuries were the biggest thing that held us back last year. So I was hoping for better luck this year. 5 games in and it's the same story.

There's really no replacing those guys. Jordan Phillips, Dorian Williams, and Dane Jackson can only hope to lessen the drop off. But it's still going to be a drop off, even if they play their best all year.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 12

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Well everyone expected season ending for both so anything less is a bonus. Let's just hope our first 4 games next year are softer teams. I also feel as though Von is going to produce next to nothing this year and will hopefully be serviceable by next September. 

he’ll probably retire after this season.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They're both season ending. A torn pec takes about 4 months to heal.

Matt Milano and Daquan Jones were the two best performers on our Defense. The ramifications of this on the Defensive side of the ball, is massive. Especially following losing Tre. That's the best player on 3 different levels of our squad. 

It's so frustrating because I felt injuries were the biggest thing that held us back last year. So I was hoping for better luck this year. 5 games in and it's the same story. There's really no replacing those guys. 

It really depends.

JJ came back when tearing his pec in late October.

Feliciano missed 3 months.

If he misses let’s say 10-12 weeks, he will be back at some point

5 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

My knee jerk reaction is that the season is over as far as hope for a SB. Maybe a wildcard game but idk. Too soon to truly know I suppose. 

Amazing how a narrative switches. For YEARS I have seen right here on this board that "defense doesn't matter" and it's all about offense these days anyway.

We still have an ELITE defensive line. Floyd and Groot are legit. Add in AJE who is coming along. And anything we get from Von is a plus as well. Ed Oliver is having a career year as well.

We have Bernard making plays every week. Benford hopefully back soon and Dane Jackson is adequate. Will we be as good as before? No of course not. 

But there is no reason to believe this defense can't make some stops. Truthfully, maybe a little new blood and young legs is needed in some spots. 

I think McDermott scheming the defense will be a plus as well. He'll figure out ways to cover some weak spots.

Fortunately, this is all happening early in the year. Gets players like Benford, Williams, Poona or whoever comes in time to get reps and build knowledge in the system. 

Season is far from over IMO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Son of a b! Frick! Goll-ee! Gosh durnit! Darn!

I recently subscribed to the Kirk Cousins/Philip Rivers School of Vulgarity Alternatives. How am I doing?

For real tho, bummer and a half. Milano being out changes the defense a lot. He's so versatile and instinctive and they trust him to handle a lot. And well.... Tyrel Dodson and Dorian Williams aren't those guys so...

And I dunno if they have anyone that can quite do what Jones has been doing this season. 

It'll be interesting to see what they do to adjust. I'mma go kick rocks. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Well everyone expected season ending for both so anything less is a bonus. Let's just hope our first 4 games next year are softer teams. I also feel as though Von is going to produce next to nothing this year and will hopefully be serviceable by next September. 

These incessant injuries just keeps pushing seasons out another year.  It's unbearable. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They're both season ending. A torn pec takes about 4 months to heal. A rupture about 6. Either way, that's the whole season and playoffs.

It's so frustrating because I felt injuries were the biggest thing that held us back last year. So I was hoping for better luck this year. 5 games in and it's the same story.

There's really no replacing those guys. Jordan Phillips, Dorian Williams, and Dane Jackson can only hope to lessen the drop off. But it's still going to be a drop off, even if they play their best all year.

It would be naive on my part to think we have any chance now of a top 10 defense.  Now we try to keep our 4 primary pass rushers healthy and hope we can still be a top 15-20 type D.  Josh will definitely have to amp things up which was what we were trying to avoid (hero ball).  Losing Tre, Matt & Dq is just devastating. At this point let's just make the playoffs and give a big  F-U to Goodell.

16 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The O matters much more honestly. To win in the playoffs it is going to be much more about scoring points. 

And yet we've seen that the teams who beat Mahomes and the Chiefs in the playoffs are the ones that can pressure him and force mistakes.

You aren't beating them without a defense that can cause chaos for the Chiefs.

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Amazing how a narrative switches. For YEARS I have seen right here on this board that "defense doesn't matter" and it's all about offense these days anyway.

We still have an ELITE defensive line. Floyd and Groot are legit. Add in AJE who is coming along. And anything we get from Von is a plus as well. Ed Oliver is having a career year as well.

We have Bernard making plays every week. Benford hopefully back soon and Dane Jackson is adequate. Will we be as good as before? No of course not. 

But there is no reason to believe this defense can't make some stops. Truthfully, maybe a little new blood and young legs is needed in some spots. 

I think McDermott scheming the defense will be a plus as well. He'll figure out ways to cover some weak spots.

Fortunately, this is all happening early in the year. Gets players like Benford, Williams, Poona or whoever comes in time to get reps and build knowledge in the system. 

Season is far from over IMO

Great points for sure. One thing I might say or ask is this. Is anything we get from Von really a plus if our depth is playing better?  I'd say maybe just keep getting healthy for now is best. Groot Floyd and AJ are doing nice. Defense has been pretty good even with the injuries we could have won yesterday. The offense is the problem. You just can't trust them IMO. They'll play great against great opponents and struggle against middle to lesser teams. I honestly believe they play based on hype and emotion.  Dorsey just doesn't put these guys in great positions. Clumping guys together. WRs almost bumping into each other almost weekly. Maybe this happens to the chiefs and eagles of the world too idk. 

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

And yet we've seen that the teams who beat Mahomes and the Chiefs in the playoffs are the ones that can pressure him and force mistakes.

You aren't beating them without a defense that can cause chaos for the Chiefs.

If you can score and get some pressure. The one thing this D should be able to do still is get pressure with a healthy Miller, Groot, Oliver, new and improved AJE, Floyd. Mix in blitzes from the DB's. 

36 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Very true very true. 

Mahomes and Kelce got dinged up and it could’ve been worse. Lawrence had a nasty looking injury in the Bills game but avoided serious injury. It’s crazy how at anytime your star player could be done. 

• Agree 1

The woe-is-me comments here are weak, and pathetic! Please stop moping. Bills still have a better defence than the Dolphins, Bengals, and Chiefs. Bills D-line is still awesome. The secondary is still solid. The remaining linebackers are very atheletic. Babage is a great LB coach. The Bills offense is 100% intact, and it's an offensive league. I haven't given up hope in the least. Given Milano's history of not being reliably availble, this could be a long term blesssing. Go Bills.... No excuses!!      

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, ngbills said:

If you can score and get some pressure. The one thing this D should be able to do still is get pressure with a healthy Miller, Groot, Oliver, new and improved AJE, Floyd. Mix in blitzes from the DB's. 

They've been so good at pressuring partly because the secondary has been covering well and confusing the QB.

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

At this point put Allen, Diggs, both guards, Kincaid and Groot on season ending IR and tank the freaking season for the #1 pick.

Marvin Harrison JR sweepstakes baby!

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Not necessarily.

I also think McDermott is very honest.  He didn’t put down a timetable for a reason….its because he doesn’t honestly know.

If they were for sure done, he would tell us.

If Jones has injured his pec badly enough to need surgery that is 5-6 months recovery. That is the season. 

The Bills long played it last year before admitting the situation on Von. I am pretty certain we are not seeing either DJ or MM again this season.

• Agree 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

If Jones has injured his pec badly enough to need surgery that is 5-6 months recovery. That is the season. 

The Bills long played it last year before admitting the situation on Von. I am pretty certain we are not seeing either DJ or MM again this season.

JJ Watt had surgery and was activated for practice 2 months later.  Surgery October 26th.  

DaQuan has a 3 week head start.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Hopefully Milano is just a fracture. He could absolutely return this year if his ligaments are intact

A fx is typically a 6-8 week period, with 8 being lengthy. 

Hope is eternal. And I sure hope that's what happens.

He is not only so damn good, he is fun to watch!

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

Mahomes and Kelce got dinged up and it could’ve been worse. Lawrence had a nasty looking injury in the Bills game but avoided serious injury. It’s crazy how at anytime your star player could be done. 

I truly do believe we have deep talent. I'm just not convinced that we know how to use the depth we have. I wonder what the game plan would be if Diggs went down because there really doesn't seem to be a game plan for anyone else aside from him and cook. I admittedly don't know all the Xs and Os but my eyes tell me that outside of 3 guys on offense we have no identity. And I am not sure I should really be adding Cook into it. Again just my thought. No one has to agree with me. Give me all the thumbs down for my opinion but I'm not going to sit here and lie about how I see things ya know. (Not saying anything about you). 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Great points for sure. One thing I might say or ask is this. Is anything we get from Von really a plus if our depth is playing better?  I'd say maybe just keep getting healthy for now is best. Groot Floyd and AJ are doing nice. Defense has been pretty good even with the injuries we could have won yesterday. The offense is the problem. You just can't trust them IMO. They'll play great against great opponents and struggle against middle to lesser teams. I honestly believe they play based on hype and emotion.  Dorsey just doesn't put these guys in great positions. Clumping guys together. WRs almost bumping into each other almost weekly. Maybe this happens to the chiefs and eagles of the world too idk. 

I do agree that Dorsey doesn't always play to putting guys into places to succeed.

One problem I do have with his offense is the way he structured it. There are (or were and I believe still are) a lot of instances where routes are based off what a WR sees. They have options to run different routes based on what defense presents. I think guys read things differently and end up in the same spot because of that at times. 

Another issue could be that when Allen moves out of the pocket it turns into a bit of backyard ball and guys move to him rather than being aware of what everyone else is doing. 

All that said they do run a few plays where guys are running the same basi route, just at different depths. If a guy gets jammed or rounds his rout off it can result in receivers ending up near each other as well.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They didn't long play it with Von he got a scope and determined it was worse and he had to have the surgery that took him out for the season instead of the one where he'd be back.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I do agree that Dorsey doesn't always play to putting guys into places to succeed.

One problem I do have with his offense is the way he structured it. There are (or were and I believe still are) a lot of instances where routes are based off what a WR sees. They have options to run different routes based on what defense presents. I think guys read things differently and end up in the same spot because of that at times. 

Another issue could be that when Allen moves out of the pocket it turns into a bit of backyard ball and guys move to him rather than being aware of what everyone else is doing. 

All that said they do run a few plays where guys are running the same basi route, just at different depths. If a guy gets jammed or rounds his rout off it can result in receivers ending up near each other as well.

I remember Kurt Warner talking about how the Bills WRs don't seem to run their routes deep enough causing issues for josh. That might be part of it as well. If a WR is cutting to soon and near another. It just makes it too easy to defend. 
min also with you on how the offense reacts to defenders. I'd love to see it the other way around. Impose our will ya know. Great thought man!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.