Jonathan Taylor gets paid

FireChans

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think that concern gets weighed against the balance of their personnel, their mandate to win games, and the totality of their player development program and comes in a distant fourth tbh

And like I said, if their priorities 1, 2 and 3 aren’t “see if this kid can be a franchise QB,” that’s how bad franchises stay bad.

If Irsay demands ground and pound so they can come in second in the AFCS, then it’s Irsay’s fault the Colts are a joke. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

And like I said, if their priorities 1, 2 and 3 aren’t “see if this kid can be a franchise QB,” that’s how bad franchises stay bad.

If Irsay demands ground and pound so they can come in second in the AFCS, then it’s Irsay’s fault the Colts are a joke. 

I don't disagree w that

I'm saying a couple percentage points live reps passing vs running won't make or break that evaluation

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't disagree w that

I'm saying a couple percentage points live reps passing vs running won't make or break that evaluation

I think there’s certainly an aspect of QB’s who can handle more get to do more, like you said. The coaches see how they do in practice. 

Philosophically, I think we agree. AR has to be allowed to go out there and play his game and make mistakes and learn if they want to see what he is.

Edited by FireChans

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

4 more passes a game ends up being 204 attempts over 3 years. 

IMO it’s not as much about the raw numbers as it is who the onus of the offense is on. If they make this “our offense revolves around JT, just make a couple throws and keep drives alive” it will harm Richardson’s development.

Just like Josh, put it on him and see what he does when the bullets are flying. It’s why we were pretty optimistic about Josh after his rookie year. We knew what he was dealing with, and he had a good amount of big moments.

Really but what if by doing this they move the chains more and therefor have possession of the ball longer...are we calculating that at all in this random ***** calculation of yours?

• Haha (+1) 1

Meh.

I think there are a lot of people who think the running game is making a full comeback in importance because the teams used as prime examples,  like SF and Philly,  are doing it with some of the best combinations of playmakers at the receiving spots and in a conference with relatively little QB talent.  

Indy ain't got the playmakers in the receiving game and they are in a conference full of franchise QB's so who cares.

Put SF in the AFC West and they are a wild card team.

Put the Eagles in the AFC East........same. 

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Meh.

I think there are a lot of people who think the running game is making a full comeback in importance because the teams used as prime examples,  like SF and Philly,  are doing it with some of the best combinations of playmakers at the receiving spots and in a conference with relatively little QB talent.  

Indy ain't got the playmakers in the receiving game and they are in a conference full of franchise QB's so who cares.

YES. Thank you. 

SF got annihilated by the Chiefs after trading for CMC last year. 

Brock Purdy has something like 2 minutes all season playing from behind. 

These teams running and winning are doing so because they have two of the most overall talented TEAMS in the whole league sans QB. And, as per usual, the best QB on the less talented team still won the whole thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Bills in 2018 only passed the ball 51.6% of the time, that was 4th lowest in the league

In 2019 only bumped it up to 52.5% of the time, still 7th lowest in the league

didn't hurt Allen's progress much

Josh ran the ball almost 100 times as a rookie. And was hilariously our teams leading rusher. 

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Zach Moss has looked more than competent. No reason to have paid Taylor IMO

Competent is a far cry from being a league leading rusher. Taylor doesn’t just get 3 yards on a push; he’s a playmaker who can break

open a game on a single run. Zach Moss is not that kind of player. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Meh.

You put the 49ers in the AFC West and I'd love it since they'd have a great chance to knock off the Chiefs, certainly better than any of those other teams. With the way the Chiefs are playing I'd honestly make them the favorites. Eagles here in the East, I'd say they're probably 2nd place, they're a tough team but I think we'd get the better of them. Between them and the Dolphins I think they have enough of a defense to give them an edge into 2nd.

47 minutes ago, FireChans said:

4 more passes a game ends up being 204 attempts over 3 years. 

IMO it’s not as much about the raw numbers as it is who the onus of the offense is on. If they make this “our offense revolves around JT, just make a couple throws and keep drives alive” it will harm Richardson’s development.

Just like Josh, put it on him and see what he does when the bullets are flying. It’s why we were pretty optimistic about Josh after his rookie year. We knew what he was dealing with, and he had a good amount of big moments.

Like the bills put it on Josh 53 and 54% his first 2 years?  

no one is saying to take the ball out of AR15s hands. He can pass 53% of the time (while also run 5-10 times per game) and still develop.  But if the run game sucks…..then opponents won’t have to play them honest and it’ll make it more diffuse on the young QB.  

I just don’t see how paying 2 years of gtd money will hurt THIS team.  It could hurt others, but Ballard has them in a decent position- 70M under next season with room for more while paying the QB pennies for 4 more years…. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

It’s not a surprise that of your examples, we have Mr Irrelevant/Dak/Goff who a lot of folks question their ceilings and their ability to deliver in the postseason. 

When it comes to the elite QB’s of this era, almost none of them were hidden behind a rushing attack in their development, except maybe Hurts (who I sneaky question his eliteness anyway).

I think the point is you can win in this league with a great run game.

Elite QBs are rare. Teams that can run the ball effectively are easier to build. 

It's not like the Colts are going to stop developing their young QB.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Like the bills put it on Josh 53 and 54% his first 2 years?  

no one is saying to take the ball out of AR15s hands. He can pass 53% of the time (while also run 5-10 times per game) and still develop.  But if the run game sucks…..then opponents won’t have to play them honest and it’ll make it more diffuse on the young QB.  

I just don’t see how paying 2 years of gtd money will hurt THIS team.  It could hurt others, but Ballard has them in a decent position- 70M under next season with room for more while paying the QB pennies for 4 more years…. 

Bills Josh Allen run + pass + sack vs the rest of the offense would be the comparison I think.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Bills Josh Allen run + pass + sack vs the rest of the offense would be the comparison I think.

Fine.  

Either way, I don’t see how this move can possibly hurt AR15 unless the run more than half the time.  

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

You put the 49ers in the AFC West and I'd love it since they'd have a great chance to knock off the Chiefs, certainly better than any of those other teams. With the way the Chiefs are playing I'd honestly make them the favorites. Eagles here in the East, I'd say they're probably 2nd place, they're a tough team but I think we'd get the better of them. Between them and the Dolphins I think they have enough of a defense to give them an edge into 2nd.

Sounds like you are one of those folks who just has supreme confidence in Shanahan despite Mahomes whipping hizass in all 3 career meetings.

Add Josh Allen to that and Shanny is 0-4 against them and all losses by 10 points or more.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sounds like you are one of those folks who just has supreme confidence in Shanahan despite Mahomes whipping hizass in all 3 career meetings.

Add Josh Allen to that and Shanny is 0-4 against them and all losses by 10 points or more.

Past Chiefs teams sure, they look a lot more beatable this year, it's kind of frustrating how weak their division is. As compared to the Bills no I've got us ahead of the 49ers, they have a good defense we have a good defense, they have a good offense and we have a good offense, they have a decent QB ours is better and can do more.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

And how can they tell if AR15 can be a QB when they have trash WRs and RBs?  Taylor gets 2 years of gtd money.  I don’t see the problem in this particular situation.  Taylor will help AR15 more than his WRs will.  

Jonathon Taylor is amazing.   Bills found that out the hard way, as I recall.   Richardson can only be helped by this. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

They do need to make sure they have an O-line around their new Franchise QB so they don't Andrew Luck another one.

The Colts already have a pretty good OL as Zach Moss' success in Indy shows.  Quenton Nelson is a 3 time All Pro and 4 time Pro Bowler at LG.   Their other OLers are competent.

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1710691846001770597?s=46&t=GGNmxHtuMQWK-ZEccAMZsQ

Terrible move IMO. Colts trying to compete when they should be trying to see if AR15 can be a QB.

A terrible move for the Colts to lock up their best player while their QB is still on his rookie deal?

4 hours ago, Malazan said:

This is going to look as good as the Giants paying Barkley

They would have been far better off paying Saquon than that ridiculous contract for Jones.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I would LOVE it if the Bills go up against Shanahan in the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Past Chiefs teams sure, they look a lot more beatable this year, it's kind of frustrating how weak their division is. As compared to the Bills no I've got us ahead of the 49ers, they have a good defense we have a good defense, they have a good offense and we have a good offense, they have a decent QB ours is better and can do more.

The way I see it, the current Chiefs team just needs another receiver..........which I suspect they will add by the deadline.   Not having another very good team in division gave them the opportunity to give young players a chance to step up.   They might even get Juju back for next to nothing and be able to basically run back the same playmaking personnel that put the 49ers D in a blender on the way to a SB victory last year.    Also the Chiefs defense looks notably better so far this year than any of the previous times they've played 49ers so I would expect same type of multiple score win.    I think the Bills match up better against KC than the 49ers and that's been evidenced in their last few meetings.

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Bad teams do what bad teams do...pay RBs.

I don't think bad teams inherently pay RB's. The 49ers are paying CMC big money and they appear to be a really good team both this year and last year when they acquired CMC. The Titans paid Derrick Henry and made the playoffs two years straight (and Henry appears to still be producing at a high level even if the talent around him has fallen off). 

I will say that paying a RB "big" money is a gamble that is less likely to "pay off" than paying other positions big money but I think in certain circumstances paying a RB is a gamble worth taking. Particularly if you are like the 49ers and Colts who have QB's on rookie deals or the Titans who have a QB on a mid-level or lower contract. I think a very good to great RB helps the development of a young QB in a big way and if the RB is a bust you can absorb that more easily if you are paying a QB peanuts relatively speaking. 

I think once you have a QB on a big contract you don't have the luxury of giving an RB big money, its simply too much of a gamble and you need those resources elsewhere.

19 hours ago, NewEra said:

Meanwhile- if you look at the team rushing leaders- of the top 11, 8 of those teams are the top 8 SB favorites.  

yes, it’s a passing league…..but if you can’t run, you’re one dimensional and have little chance to win a SB imo.  Gotta be able to run

Yep. Running has become more important again. Every LB has gotten smaller, and if you don't have a top 10 qb how the heck are you gunna compete in this league? Need to be able to at least situationally throw the switch and play keep away/grind yards ball

• Agree 1

That deal is great for the Colts. They get the second best RB in the league, who should be the best for the next three years when CMC fades. Then, they can cut and run, right at the time they’d have to pay Richardson, or redraft a QB. 

The difference Taylor will make for Richardson will make it obvious if Richardson can sustain in the NFL. So you pay for that opportunity to see it too if you’re the Colts. 

Unfortunately for JT, the bruiser QB will cut into his productivity. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.