Tre White Injury Updates (Torn Achilles now confirmed)

Process

1 hour ago, colin said:

i suspect tre is done as a bill, and possibly done w football all together.

given his cap, how he is not who he was a few years ago, and two massive season ending injuries and a lot of time missed, i think you walk away

It sucks but I have to agree with the Bills part. That $16M cap hit for a guy that now has 2 major injuries isn't wise.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, QCity said:

It sucks but I have to agree with the Bills part. That $16M cap hit for a guy that now has 2 major injuries isn't wise.

Yup.  It's honestly awful to have to entertain this conversation, but would people rather have Tre White coming back, at some point next year, at who knows what level, for 16M or cut him, take on 10M in dead cap and use the 6M towards Floyd or Jones...  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Maybe that is a glimmer of hope of good news. I feel as though it would have been reported already

Not sure about the timeline of the Tre White injury in 2021 but so far no official word on Tre's injury. I am generally hoping for the best and expecting the worst (torn Achilles). I was 100% certain Dane's season was over last year after the collision with Edumonds but he only missed a few weeks. This is not likely the same situation but you gotta hope right? 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Yup.  It's honestly awful to have to entertain this conversation, but would people rather have Tre White coming back, at some point next year, at who knows what level, for 16M or cut him, take on 10M in dead cap and use the 6M towards Floyd or Jones...  

Tre may take a paycut (more money less of a cap hit) to try and make a comeback. The Bills could also designate Tre as a post June cut and spread the dead cap over two seasons and get 11 million in space for 2024. That being said I would hope for a situation where Tre takes a massive paycut that allows him to make a comeback attempt one more time and gives the Bills the needed cap flexibility. 

• Like (+1) 3

Well where there is smoke there is fire - and Beane.

Sounding like Adoree' Jackson is a target. NYG trade and he is a FA next season. Get him on the cheaper side. I bet Bills wait a few weeks, if Giants continue to lose he is ours.

Cut Tre, and in fact - Jackson hit's harder and can cover really well. Also won't drop easy peasy pick 6 balls, or let the jests score at ease.

Bank it. Bills have the SB on a plate this season... beaner is making moves.

Rogers Sportsnet.

• Vomit 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Dillenger4 said:

Sounding like Adoree' Jackson is a target. NYG trade and he is a FA next season. Get him on the cheaper side. I bet Bills wait a few weeks, if Giants continue to lose he is ours.

Cut Tre, and in fact - Jackson hit's harder and can cover really well. Also won't drop easy peasy pick 6 balls, or let the jests score at ease.

Rogers Sportsnet.

Come on dude. You have a valid point to make without kicking a guy while he is down. 

Tre was the first pick of the McDermott era and a major part of turning this thing around. We can say Jackson is a great addition without swiping at a guy who just balled about his career maybe being over in front of a few million people. 

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Not sure about the timeline of the Tre White injury in 2021 but so far no official word on Tre's injury. I am generally hoping for the best and expecting the worst (torn Achilles). I was 100% certain Dane's season was over last year after the collision with Edumonds but he only missed a few weeks. This is not likely the same situation but you gotta hope right? 

Tre may take a paycut (more money less of a cap hit) to try and make a comeback. The Bills could also designate Tre as a post June cut and spread the dead cap over two seasons and get 11 million in space for 2024. That being said I would hope for a situation where Tre takes a massive paycut that allows him to make a comeback attempt one more time and gives the Bills the needed cap flexibility. 

I don’t know if you can toss your contact out and say “I’ll halve my pay”. I’m not necessarily arguing with you. But I don’t think I’ve heard of it before. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

can you just cut him if he is still rehabbing?

• Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Rogers Sportsnet.

There are so many things that fly in the face of literally everything Beane has done and said since he's been in Buffalo with this or are just fantasy 

STRIKE ONE: Beane has repeated said...I would even use the term pounded the table on...the fact that if the Bills make a trade one of the first things the look at is how many years are remaining on the players contract. He does NOT want to give up picks for a 1 year rental. 

STRIKE TWO: The Bills are not cutting Tre this year. If you want to know why...go look at his contract. As a matter of fact it would shock me if he's outright cut after the year. They are going to give him the opportunity to come back IMO.

STRIKE THREE: If he's referring to the Garrett Wilson TD catch in week 1, Rogers Sportsnet just admitted to either not watching the game or not understanding what they see. Wilson made an extremely good play and had a lot of luck catching that ball. Tre had perfect coverage.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Come on dude. You have a valid point to make without kicking a guy while he is down. 

Tre was the first pick of the McDermott era and a major part of turning this thing around. We can say Jackson is a great addition without swiping at a guy who just balled about his career maybe being over in front of a few million people. 

I don’t know if you can toss your contact out and say “I’ll halve my pay”. I’m not necessarily arguing with you. But I don’t think I’ve heard of it before. 

I think players can redo their contracts Tim Settle and Hines redid their deals this past off-season. Both had guaranteed money and Hines had 2 years left under contract. So it isn't like Tre having a bonus or two years left makes his deal different. That being said I do not know the specifics of how a big contract like Tre's can be reworked. Could Tre say just give me 5-6 million guaranteed and then 3-4 million in non-guaranteed money and incentives? Tre gets a shot to make the roster (and if he makes it gets about 70% of what he would have made) and gets one last payday while the Bills take less in dead cap? 

Once again this is my own ill-informed speculation but if there ever was a player to try to "work with" the Bills in a situation like this it would be Tre. Tre not only has made money playing 4 seasons under a big extension (2020-2023) but he seems to really love Buffalo. Long term the Bills could also attempt to suit Tre's needs (one more shot to play and make decent money) and Tre can help the team's cap?

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/12/buffalo-bills-tim-settle-renegotiate-deal-2023-salary-cap/

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-free-agency-nyheim-hines-restructure-contract-legal-tampering-period-rumors

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

Business is business, but it isn’t that simple…

I see Beane handling this very delicately with one of the most respected men on the team.. Nothing kills team chemistry more than playing corporate hard ball with a fallen brother. 
I feel the Bills will give Tre every opportunity he deserves. 

This! 

And to your point, there won’t be any decision until this season comes to a close.

36 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/27/new-york-giants-adoree-jackson-ticked-off-over-dropped-interception/

The New York Giants’ future would look a lot different today had one play turned out differently in their 17-14 loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday.

With a little more than five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter and the Giants nursing a 14-7 lead, Atlanta had a second-and-goal on the Giants’ six. Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan overthrew rookie tight end Kyle Pitts in the end zone. The ball sailed over Pitts’ head and into the hands of Giants cornerback Adoree’ Jackson for a possible game-sealing interception.

Except Jackson could not reel the ball in. It fell to the turf and was called incomplete. On the next play, Logan Ryan was called for pass interference giving Atlanta a fresh set of downs from the one-yard line. They scored the game-tying touchdown two plays later.

After the game, Jackson had no real answers for the miscue.

“I just dropped it.

• Haha (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Any cap experts know how injury settlements work?  Depending on the severity of the injury, 16 mil next season would be a lot of if he can't come all the way back . 

In a normal job Workers Comp would kick in but not sure how that works in sports

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Any cap experts know how injury settlements work?  Depending on the severity of the injury, 16 mil next season would be a lot of if he can't come all the way back . 

In the NFL an injured player cannot be released. Injury settlements are typically used in place of putting a player on IR for the rest of the season. However once a settlement is reached in this fashion, the player is immediately released. This would be extremely unlikely to happen this season.  Because White is a vested veteran (4+ years of service) he can be put on IR next March without having to go through injury waivers. This would allow them to attempt a settlement and release the player which would give the Bills cap relief ($16M but like $10M dead) and allow White to tryout for another team.

• Like (+1) 3

We were probably due for another high end draft pick on a DB even before this injury. Id be shocked if one of the first two picks in 2024 isn't a DB.

Really torn up watching Tre deal with the emotions of realizing he's right back in the thick of it with all of the rehabbing day in and day out. After just getting through it all and thinking it's behind him. Similar feelings with Chubb sustaining the same sort of injury again to his knee. Hate to see it

• Agree 1

This is going to be a really tough one. Tre is loved BUT these will be two devastating injuries in 2 years.  The  Achilles for a CB is much different than a QB and this injury has ended careers even with today's medical advancements.  This might be one of those times the hard call has to be made, Tre still has a huge contract, and we are well over next year's cap.

Bottom line, it sucks.

• Agree 1

• Process changed the title to Tre White Injury Updates (Torn Achilles now confirmed)
45 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You're getting the cart before the horse on this Virgil.  @QCityexplained the basics below.  The first thing is how bad is Tre's injury and when

will he be "football ready".  If he recovers and is released by doctors by next March to play, it will be like nothing happened.

If, on the other hand, he is still injured the Bills will place him on PUP to start the season.  Then there could be a settlement.

But as I see it, if he would likely miss any regular season games the cap savings would diminish by the amount of games and his base salary.

Last, and I feel the most important, Tre is an integral part of this team.  Beane, McDermott and Tre will discuss what he feels is best for him/team.

If he thinks he can return to form, the Bills will give him the year.  If he has had enough of all this, he may decide to end it an retire.

The only problem that could emerge is if Tre thinks he is fine, and the Bills don't agree.  I doubt that happens but if it did, it won't be for some time.

28 minutes ago, QCity said:

In the NFL an injured player cannot be released. Injury settlements are typically used in place of putting a player on IR for the rest of the season. However once a settlement is reached in this fashion, the player is immediately released. This would be extremely unlikely to happen this season.  Because White is a vested veteran (4+ years of service) he can be put on IR next March without having to go through injury waivers. This would allow them to attempt a settlement and release the player which would give the Bills cap relief ($16M but like $10M dead) and allow White to tryout for another team.

Wouldn't he start of PUP?  Also, great explanation of the process!

I have $27 burning a hole in my pocket Bills Mafia. What are we doing to make this sad moment special and rally around Tre?

Let’s figure out how we can make a difference, show him our love and support, and make something great happen in the community between now and when he charges out of the tunnel healthy next year.

Who has some ideas or should this get split into a separate thread?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Unbelievably heartbreaking for Tre. As great as yesterday was, it sure put a huge damper on it. These guys had to be looking forward to finally getting everyone on the field at the same time with Tre, Von, Micah, Poyer, etc. It's such a shame for Tre... it's gotta be brutal to finally get all the way back and have to start over again with this type of thing. 

1 minute ago, Koufax said:

I have $27 burning a hole in my pocket Bills Mafia. What are we doing to make this sad moment special and rally around Tre?

Let’s figure out how we can make a difference, show him our love and support, and make something great happen in the community between now and when he charges out of the tunnel healthy next year.

Who has some ideas or should this get split into a separate thread?

Wow, I was just looking at that.

Here is Tre's deal.

https://www.reachingforexcellence27.com/

If his charity got some decent bucks it might make his recovery a little less traumatic.

I got $27 too.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.