This Bills Defense is even more impressive then you think

78thealltimegreat

Sorry having trouble with Brian Congelios X link so here’s the info

Here is a look at each defensive unit's blitz % compared to sack %.

The #BillsMafia are scary, with the lowest 'Blitz %' in the league, but the highest 'Sack %'

The #Giants blitz the most in the #NFL, but have the 2nd lowest 'Sack %'

And what are the #Bears doing?!

Yeh what the heck are the Bears doing? 

IMG_6521.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The #BillsMafia are scary, with the lowest 'Blitz %' in the league, but the highest 'Sack %'

IMG_6521.jpeg

Love these kind of graphics. Just great information. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m telling you the Bears are just sitting back and watching their opponents do things to them.  I’ve never seen a more passive defense in my life.

The Edmunds effect. I’ve never been happier to see him leave. Watching Bernard has been a blessing to see what real LBs are supposed to play like. 

Edited by Araiza Curse
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

IMG_6521.jpeg

Blitzing the least but sacking the QB the most? 

This is McDermott's ultimate football aspiration come to life. It is THE defining characteristic of what McDermott wants to do on defense. He finally has the defensive line to do it. 

AND VON MILLER IS COMING BACK.

Look out opposing offenses.

The thing I like the most about the past two weeks is that the Bills are dominating in the trenches. If you want to know who's likely going to win a football game after watching only the first few drives, just look at the battle in the trenches. The team winning that usually wins the game. The last two weeks, the Bills won both battles handily. If that continues, it'll be a great season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

The graph is a little weird given that the Giants blitzed Purdy on 86 percent of his dropbacks on Thursday.

Why it shows Giants are the biggest blitzing team in the league. 

granted three games in could be skewed a bit by an 86% blitz night 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Why it shows Giants are the biggest blitzing team in the league. 

granted three games in could be skewed a bit by an 86% blitz night 

Yeah, that's my point. Martindale had a unique plan for the Niners' offense and I give him props for trying something different. It worked OK until it didn't; the Niners are just good.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

While I do think this is pretty reflective of how the Bills play, I do think Howell may fudge the numbers a bit he does hang on to the ball a long time and get sacked a lot.

Raiders only running 39 plays kind of helped lower the numbers tho as well...

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great data but let keep in mind the small data set and who we have faced.

1) Zach Wilson, enough said

2) Derek Carr---ehh

3) Sam Howell-- young highly inexperienced havings his nightmare game epically skewing the stats.

Those may account for the production part of it. Won’t account for the ultra low blitz percentage. 

we will see Sunday. Out DL should dominate the OL of MIA based on what I have seen. 

take that first read away and you can get to Tua too. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And we don't even have Von back.

Groot and Oliver in the middle.

Miller and Floyd on the edge.  

That is as dangerous a 3rd down pass rush as you will get in the NFL.  

This is the setup I play Sunday as well. Swap out Miller for Epenesa 

I think Groots length in the middle will be needed to cut lanes from Tua quick release to the middle. 

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

While I do think this is pretty reflective of how the Bills play, I do think Howell may fudge the numbers a bit he does hang on to the ball a long time and get sacked a lot.

No doubt.  9 in one game….. this % will change drastically as the games mount.  Nothing against our pass rush…..it’s one of the best DL’s in the league, but we won’t maintain this pace.  I’d be happy with 9 sacks over the next 3 games combined.

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I am happy with the D. But we cant ignore 9 of our 12 sacks came in the last game. That skews the numbers quite a bit. Not to mention 4 of the 9 came when the game was 30-0. But like I said I think the D is looking solid. Lets see how this goes next week. 

They had none vs the Raiders but don't let that fool you -- the d-line had good pressure all game vs Vegas and played well.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I think Groots length in the middle will be needed to cut lanes from Tua quick release to the middle. 

Maybe you treat Tua like you did with Vick.  Don't rush up field fast.  Stay disciplined to keep him in the pocket to make plays there.

But in this case, keep Tua in the pocket but the DL keeps their hands up.  He's getting the ball out faster than anyone in the NFL so you don't need to attack him...just make him hold the ball a little longer.

I would play a Cover 3 but one safety mans the middle.  Two other safeties take away the deep ball.  

Just like your graph shows....take away the middle.  Make him have to float that ball outside.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Jimmy G 😁, but otherwise agree.

LOL, my mistake.  I will correct it.  I think Jimmie G looked like sheit last night.

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Totally agree on Groots length.  One reason why I always held out hope for Edmunds but not missing him at all.

2 minutes ago, k2mountain said:

But will it matter? Tua is getting the ball out lightning quick.

Not when you take away his first read. Tua hasn’t changed. He has been the same he always has. Gets the ball out if you let him see his first read quick. 

make him process of that and you can get to him like always. This Offense if NO DIFFERENT than last year. 

• Agree 2

I think Bernard has a lot to do with this. He has looked as good as advertised as a pass rusher. We aren't blitzing in the normal sense of sending 5+ so that drives our blitz % down, but we are doing a great job of disguising who the 4 rushers are going to be. When Bernard is a pass rusher he's making an impact. So far we've only played below average QBs so we'll see how the misdirection holds up against better QBs but it's encouraging.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3

There has been so much hand-wringing (and rightfully so) about our lack of ability to get to a Super Bowl in the past few years.

This, to me, is the missing link.  We had high-ranked defenses in previous years, but I think we all know those rankings were kind of misleading.  With an offense as good as we have had, defenses will generally look good most of the time.  

But we have NOT had a "championship defense," and that is most definitely a thing.  Our defense has had lapses in the playoffs & against the better teams that put too much burden on the offense.  And they've been more on the soft side.

3 games in, it looks SO different this year.  I think McD calling the plays is making a difference, but the personnel is also as good as we have had.  Not just additions like Floyd, but players we have had on the roster who seem to clearly be taking a step:  Oliver, Epenesa, Groot.

It is a swarming, fast, tough, aggressive defense this year.  It really gives me some peace of mind knowing that there can be a game where the offense is off, but the D will still make big plays and keep it close to the end.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Blitzing the least but sacking the QB the most? 

This is McDermott's ultimate football aspiration come to life. It is THE defining characteristic of what McDermott wants to do on defense. He finally has the defensive line to do it. 

AND VON MILLER IS COMING BACK.

Look out opposing offenses.

The thing I like the most about the past two weeks is that the Bills are dominating in the trenches. If you want to know who's likely going to win a football game after watching only the first few drives, just look at the battle in the trenches. The team winning that usually wins the game. The last two weeks, the Bills won both battles handily. If that continues, it'll be a great season.

Heck could c you imagine what we'd have on defense if we had drafted Khalil mack like we should have all along.

15 minutes ago, k2mountain said:

But will it matter? Tua is getting the ball out lightning quick.

Also is he?  I hear that alot.  But the only place I have found data to support

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

thier PKT time is time to throw or time to pressure.

Josh Allen - 2.2 seconds

Tua 2.1 seconds

Mac Jones 2.2

Lamar 2.2

Purdy 2.2

Dak 2.2 

Burrow 2.1

Lawrence 2.0

Sam Howell 2.6

So the numbers just are not adding up.  If Tua is getting the ball lightning Quick Majority of the NFL is.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.