Update: All -22 stuff Joe Marino Locked on Bills, Now Cover 1 w/ play breakdowns

Reed83HOF

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Read between the lines.  The former was an Instagram addict who couldn't help but share the things that nobody but her cared about with the world.  Heard from her lately?  So how and why is it that this attention-craving narcissist all of a sudden goes dark?  And how is the "lifestyle" funded at this point?  Maybe using that clue and the anger of the hyper-focused star WR about certain recent events we have a clue as to what the problem might be.  It's time to grow up, both personally and professionally. 

"The former"?  "her"?  What are you talking about, Josh's girlfriend?  She hasn't "gone dark", she's still on Instagram and Tiktok sharing even more thirst traps and photographs of herself in Italy, NYC, Yellowstone, NYC etc etc etc.  You don't need an account, type "instagram brittwilll" or "tiktok brittwilll" in a google search bar and it comes right up.  Right click and "open in new private window" to read the comments on each photo without an account.

How her lifestyle is funded now: Josh and his family have seemed well-advised from before the draft, so I'm pretty sure there would have been some agreement signed before Britt moved to WNY with Josh in 2018 to avoid pal-imony and bad PR in the event of a breakup.  I would expect she got a good chunk of $$$ in exchange for an NDA.  This is pretty standard for wealthy men in the public eye and is neither proof nor disproof of "fire", just proof that Josh has better agents and financial advisors than Mario Williams (for example) did.  I also hear her family is well-to-do, and she may be getting some "influencer" endorsements for some of the stuff she posts about.

I'm neither affirming or denying your claims of inside knowledge but as proof of something, well, this isn't.

13 hours ago, VW82 said:

You could tell something was off right from the fitst series. Anyone have an explanation for that throw on third down that was waaaaay behind Diggs?

I'm pretty sure that was a miscommunication rather than an inaccurate pass. Either Diggs or Allen messed up where the route was supposed to go.

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

"The former"?  "her"?  What are you talking about, Josh's girlfriend?  She hasn't "gone dark", she's still on Instagram and Tiktok sharing even more thirst traps and photographs of herself in Italy, NYC, Yellowstone, NYC etc etc etc.  You don't need an account, type "instagram brittwilll" or "tiktok brittwilll" in a google search bar and it comes right up.  Right click and "open in new private window" to read the comments on each photo without an account.

How her lifestyle is funded now: Josh and his family have seemed well-advised from before the draft, so I'm pretty sure there would have been some agreement signed before Britt moved to WNY with Josh in 2018 to avoid pal-imony and bad PR in the event of a breakup.  I would expect she got a good chunk of $$$ in exchange for an NDA.  This is pretty standard for wealthy men in the public eye and is neither proof nor disproof of "fire", just proof that Josh has better agents and financial advisors than Mario Williams (for example) did.  I also hear her family is well-to-do, and she may be getting some "influencer" endorsements for some of the stuff she posts about.

I'm neither affirming or denying your claims of inside knowledge but as proof of something, well, this isn't.

And not a peep about Josh, Buffalo, or follow-up on anything that happened (or didn’t happen here).  So, yeah, it’s evidence.  How you want to weigh it is up to you.  But I again encourage some reading between the lines and acceptance of the strong “hints” that he has been acting like a kind, funny, affable knucklehead, but a knucklehead nonetheless.   

Ive said this now in several threads...until Dorsey and this offense shift away from the downfield push, this is going to be an up and down issue.  You don't need the playbook to see where the focus and reads are, just watch Allen drop back.  Far too often we are doing deep drop backs with eyes downfield meaning the early and hot route reads are there and the short stuff that keeps coming open are LATER in the order of progressions on his reads.  

When you got a confident big armed QB who has had a ton of success firing big shots all over the place, how often do you really think he is going to reach his 4th or 5th read in his progressions?  Now factor in that same QB is a very dangerous running the ball, and now you wonder how often he even reaches his 3rd progression before starting to run around and move.  

If all these early reads are downfield, which take time to develop and you a questionable OL, its no wonder your QB is going to start getting happy feet looking for those plays to come open and use his legs to extend the plays to give those guys chances to come open.  It makes the easier short throw feel more like a bail out or last resort than a priority.  

Until we see a lot more quick drop and fire out of this offense, this is going to always persist.  Defenses are keying on taking the deep shots away because we are not a big threat to run the ball and not a big threat to attack underneath.  It was MUCH different when we had Daboll and Cole because Daboll frequently would use Cole as a primary read, especially on down and short and 3rd downs.  Under Dorsey last year, they didn't have that slot guy to do that and we got away from it.  This year in week 1, we have the weapons yet we still did not do much of any kind of quick strike game.

Allen made some poor choices, but our OC is not helping him out.  Until Dorsey stops treating Allen like some sort of heavy artillery weapon, consistency will be a problem.  Look at KC, something like 30% of Mahomes production comes from throws near or behind the LOS.  Its a colossal reason he is so efficient.  Fun fact:  While Allen has the most turnvoves since week 1 of 2022...Mahomes is 2nd.  Why does that not get talked about?  Because his efficiency is still so high with all the quick strike and short area throws they wear down defenses with and win games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

How Josh reacts to the adversity of both last year's playoff loss and this opener will dictate the success or failure of this season. 

If this loss lights a sustainable fire under his ass, then it could be a positive thing going forward. 

If he spirals in a downward trend then the success has gotten to his head, and he lacks what his career, thus far, has been built on.

Hard work, humbleness and the hunger to win. 

Let us hope for the former. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive said this now in several threads...until Dorsey and this offense shift away from the downfield push, this is going to be an up and down issue.  You don't need the playbook to see where the focus and reads are, just watch Allen drop back.  Far too often we are doing deep drop backs with eyes downfield meaning the early and hot route reads are there and the short stuff that keeps coming open are LATER in the order of progressions on his reads.  

When you got a confident big armed QB who has had a ton of success firing big shots all over the place, how often do you really think he is going to reach his 4th or 5th read in his progressions?  Now factor in that same QB is a very dangerous running the ball, and now you wonder how often he even reaches his 3rd progression before starting to run around and move.  

If all these early reads are downfield, which take time to develop and you a questionable OL, its no wonder your QB is going to start getting happy feet looking for those plays to come open and use his legs to extend the plays to give those guys chances to come open.  It makes the easier short throw feel more like a bail out or last resort than a priority.  

Until we see a lot more quick drop and fire out of this offense, this is going to always persist.  Defenses are keying on taking the deep shots away because we are not a big threat to run the ball and not a big threat to attack underneath.  It was MUCH different when we had Daboll and Cole because Daboll frequently would use Cole as a primary read, especially on down and short and 3rd downs.  Under Dorsey last year, they didn't have that slot guy to do that and we got away from it.  This year in week 1, we have the weapons yet we still did not do much of any kind of quick strike game.

Allen made some poor choices, but our OC is not helping him out.  Until Dorsey stops treating Allen like some sort of heavy artillery weapon, consistency will be a problem.  Look at KC, something like 30% of Mahomes production comes from throws near or behind the LOS.  Its a colossal reason he is so efficient.  Fun fact:  While Allen has the most turnvoves since week 1 of 2022...Mahomes is 2nd.  Why does that not get talked about?  Because his efficiency is still so high with all the quick strike and short area throws they wear down defenses with and win games.

The one thing I have a grip about with Dorsey is Allen is very successful under center and play action.  We only ran that 14% of the time according to Joe Marino.

Why not run something more when it's incredibly successful?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

He looked like the kid who showed up to the game without practicing, watching tape, reading scouting reports, etc. Either he was overhyped and lost his mind, was saying f you to the coaches im doing my think, or was just unprepared because he has other stuff going on. 

It’s not that extreme. Something is up if you look at the recent evidence. I think it’s coaching. 

Actually early on Allen completed 9 of his first 10 passes. At one pint he was 17/21 passing with 1 INT & 1 TD. So if this is how you play right from the start with no practice or film work then sign me up.  Something changed in the 3rd quarter. Did the Jet's adjust and start taking advantage of something?  Did Allen get "bored" and start pressing? 

And let's be clear here.  The first 2 INT's were not a big deal.  The first one was thrown on 3rd and long and pinned the Jet's back on their 4 yard line with Wilson at QB.  That was the equivalent of a 65 yard punt with no return.  That the D let the Jets and Wilson out of that hole is as concerning to me as some of the Allen misfires.  The 2nd Allen INT gave the Jets the ball at their own 20.  Neither of these cost the Bills points or handed the Jets a short field.  My guess is that Allen was trying to stick a fork in the Jets ad kill them off with the big play.

Now the last 2 Allen TO's are what lost us the game.  These happened late in the 3rd quarter & in the 4th quarter. This is what they should focus on.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PBF81 said:

If he's ignoring things then that's one thing.  

If he's struggling with it, it's altogether another, and a more serious thing.  

Curious what the issue is.  Reading D's has never been a strength of his.  Maybe he's simply never picked it up completely.  

for a quarter of a billion dollar contract, he should be camping out in the film room, surrounded by the best people money can buy to help him become proficient, let alone elite at it.

we can only question his commitment these days, and maybe the Diggs issue makes more sense in that context.

I hope I'm wrong, I'd hate to see him fizzle to medicore

Edited by B-Large
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Britts family has money too, she doesn't even need money from Josh to fund her lifestyle.  Her big Italy trip for weeks on weeks was with her dad and family.  She also uses her social reach to make money now plugging products and stuff.  

So yeah, have no idea what he is referring to as she is all over social media and had money before Josh.  

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The one thing I have a grip about with Dorsey is Allen is very successful under center and play action.  We only ran that 14% of the time according to Joe Marino.

Why not run something more when it's incredibly successful?

Because Dorsey is not good?

6 hours ago, Airseven said:

Burrow is on another level with how he processes the game mentally. He also has better weapons and the Bengals invested heavily in their OL in 2022. Bills WRs and OL have been mostly a revolving door of riff raff the past couple years.

Interestingly, the Chiefs also committed an off-season to revamping their OL in 2021.

How did Burrow look in Week 1?

Like Josh he looked like trash. And against a team (in this case Cleveland) that has historically given him fits -- just like the Jets have Josh recently.

I expect both QBs to rebound after poor showings in Week 1.

14 hours ago, SCBills said:

Great post. 

For us, it’s a hobby.   For the team and staff, it’s their life. 

Josh Allen is set with generational wealth.  The lower guys on the roster aren’t.  The coordinators and staffers are trying to build careers. 

He gets paid a quarter billion dollars because he’s a leader of this business. 

Games like this, at this point in his career, should not be happening. 

It’s not just the fans he lets down. 

Tom Brady was a 10 year veteran when he threw 4 picks vs the Bills in 2011. He also lost to the (eventual) 5-11 Browns 14-34 the year before. I’m not making excuses for Josh, but good players have bad games.

That being said, he does have some cleanup work to do. I’d rather he have a game like this now when he has time to get it right. At the very least the Bengals and Chiefs lost as well so there’s some solace in this terrible week 1 football.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Actually early on Allen completed 9 of his first 10 passes. At one pint he was 17/21 passing with 1 INT & 1 TD. So if this is how you play right from the start with no practice or film work then sign me up.  Something changed in the 3rd quarter. Did the Jet's adjust and start taking advantage of something?  Did Allen get "bored" and start pressing? 

And let's be clear here.  The first 2 INT's were not a big deal.  The first one was thrown on 3rd and long and pinned the Jet's back on their 4 yard line with Wilson at QB.  That was the equivalent of a 65 yard punt with no return.  That the D let the Jets and Wilson out of that hole is as concerning to me as some of the Allen misfires.  The 2nd Allen INT gave the Jets the ball at their own 20.  Neither of these cost the Bills points or handed the Jets a short field.  My guess is that Allen was trying to stick a fork in the Jets ad kill them off with the big play.

Now the last 2 Allen TO's are what lost us the game.  These happened late in the 3rd quarter & in the 4th quarter. This is what they should focus on.

I didn’t have a problem with the first one because the result of it being inside the 5 yard line was great BUT Allen had room to run for that first down which would’ve continued the drive and possibly led to points. The second INT and the third I had problems with. The second one was thrown from the Jets 40 on 2nd down IIRC, so you cannot say the first two picks didn’t cost the Bills points. Tyler can hit a 57 yarder, but if that second INT was simply an incomplete pass, the offense gets another shot on 3rd down to get closer than a 57 yard FG. The main gripe is that second half Allen just looked unprepared, unfocused, and spazzy, like a kid with ADHD. Like a QB who had no idea what the Jets were doing on defense and how to counter. The answers to the defense were given, he had them, but elected to meltdown on a national stage. You just don’t expect to see that kind of play out of a 6 year pro bowl QB. All QBs have bad games, a stinker here or there, but Josh can’t be the primary reason the Bills lose a game. He just can’t be. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, B-Large said:

for a quarter of a billion dollar contract, he should be camping out in the film room, surrounded by the best people money can buy to help him become proficient, let alone elite at it.

we can only question his commitment these days, and maybe the Diggs issue makes more sense in that context.

I hope I'm wrong, I'd hate to see him fizzle to medicore

Oh, absolutely.  He owes that to the team that gives him what, something akin to $3M/game, if not the fans that essentially allow him to have all those endorsement deals.  

Most have remained relatively silent on the issue, but the offseason dating, golf, outtings with the boys, etc. alongside his "never been more focused," doesn't seem to jibe.  I suppose he deserved the benefit of the doubt, but that's gone now.  It was a short honeymoon by the media reaction, both regional (Bills) as well as national.  

Those defending it are doing so on the merits that he'll be better in most games, which no doubt is true, but we need him to be his absolute best come playoff time when the only times we've won, all but one of the four anyway, have been because of him.  

The Lombardi isn't a race to 40 TD passes, it's whether or not we can beat the best teams in the AFC in the playoffs, then the best that the NFC puts up.  So far we've not done that.  

I realize that's preaching to the choir, just sayin'.  I doubt he'll "fizzle to mediocre" under any circumstances.  It's far more likely that he suffers a shoulder or other injury while trying to leap tall players in a single bound.  I suppose he could be mediocre after that if his recovery isn't perfect.  My position for years now is that he absolutely has to learn how to hit the high-percentage much easier short passes to players that are wide open yet can still make good gains and log 1st-Downs.  He has yet to demonstrate that he can do that for an entire season.  There's been stretches, but not anywhere approaching an entire season.  

The best in the league do that second nature.  Brady thrived on it.  Take what the D gives you when it gives you something.  

The fact that he's as good as he is, is a testament to his physical capabilities and athleticism.  I've never seen another QB in NFL history that does what he does not throwing.  Some have run, but not like he does.  

We'll see how it unfolds.  But somewhere in that mix coaching, or not coaching, lurks.  The McD apologists are having a difficult time coming to grips with that.  

And BTW, it's also not fair to his OL when he doesn't do that.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beast said:

He needs to start taking his craft a little more seriously.

He’s letting his teammates, coaches, the organization and the fanbase down.

I think even the most ardent Bills homer would have to admit that wasn’t the play of a QB who had relentlessly studied the Jets defense from the two games last year. He looked unprepared and his line about preferring to react to what he’s seeing in game versus overdoing tape study rings louder after that sort of performance. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I think even the most ardent Bills homer would have to admit that wasn’t the play of a QB who had relentlessly studied the Jets defense from the two games last year. He looked unprepared and his line about preferring to react to what he’s seeing in game versus overdoing tape study rings louder after that sort of performance. 

It was the most confused I've seen from him since his rookie year at the Packers.  

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Oh, absolutely.  He owes that to the team that gives him what, something akin to $3M/game, if not the fans that essentially allow him to have all those endorsement deals.  

I've remained relatively silent on the issue, but the offseason dating, golf, outtings with the boys, etc. alongside his "never been more focused," doesn't seem to jibe.  I suppose he deserved the benefit of the doubt, but that's gone now.  It was a short honeymoon by the media reaction, both regional (Bills) as well as national.  

Those defending it are doing so on the merits that he'll be better in most games, which no doubt is true, but we need him to be his absolute best come playoff time when the only times we've won, all but one of the four anyway, have been because of him.  

The Lombardi isn't a race to 40 TD passes, it's whether or not we can beat the best teams in the AFC in the playoffs, then the best that the NFC puts up.  So far we've not done that.  

I realize that's preaching to the choir, just sayin'.  I doubt he'll "fizzle to mediocre" under any circumstances.  It's far more likely that he suffers a shoulder or other injury while trying to leap tall players in a single bound.  I suppose he could be mediocre after that if his recovery isn't perfect.  My position for years now is that he absolutely has to learn how to hit the high-percentage much easier short passes to players that are wide open yet can still make good gains and log 1st-Downs.  He has yet to demonstrate that he can do that for an entire season.  There's been stretches, but not anywhere approaching an entire season.  

The best in the league do that second nature.  Brady thrived on it.  Take what the D gives you when it gives you something.  

The fact that he's as good as he is, is a testament to his physical capabilities and athleticism.  I've never seen another QB in NFL history that does what he does not throwing.  Some have run, but not like he does.  

We'll see how it unfolds.  But somewhere in that mix coaching, or not coaching, lurks.  The McD apologists are having a difficult time coming to grips with that.  

And BTW, it's also not fair to his OL when he doesn't do that.  

great post.  that performance didn't reek of a guy "more focused than ever" on the QB position in the NFL.  at least the second half didn't by any stretch.  look it was the first game, on the road, division rival, against a team that was THE offseason darling... that's buzzsaw of an environment to play, but knowing that, you'd think the recently focused Josh Allen would have realized this might be a game to be a little conservative.

nobody questions he might be the most gifted QB in the NFL physically, but he needs to make strides in the game as a tactician.  its time to see even incremental progression, and we're just not seeing that yet.

hate to see other guys load up on rings, wile our guy is always "if only..."

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Dorsey is still new at this.  

He is in over his head - his job isn’t just calling plays.

We’re not working with year 1 or 2 Josh.  

We have a QB off 3 MVP caliber seasons.  

What’s the reason for 17 INTs in 17 games under Dorsey?  

Josh is ultimately responsible.  But McD needs to get an OC that is the right fit for Josh’s game.  

Daboll was a meh play caller to but he got the most out of Josh bc he understood what he does well and doesn’t more importantly what makes him tick.  

This Dorsey hate is ridiculous.

Compare last year's offensive stats with the year before.

I have not reviewed the All 22, but I do not recall Dorsey throwing three interceptions and fumbling. I also do not recall Dorsey missing blocks or unable to tackle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Peter said:

I have not reviewed the All 22, but I do not recall Dorsey throwing three interceptions and fumbling. I also do not recall Dorsey missing blocks or unable to tackle.

What are your thoughts on Leslie Frazier? 

36 minutes ago, Peter said:

Team in win now mode at the peak of their powers handed over OC to someone that never has called plays.  

In a league that catches on to you quick - does it look like we’ve adjusted since the first Jets game last season?

46 passes against the best secondary in the NFL.  

Yea, they’re at least getting 1 or 2 picks minimum.  

I guarantee no team throws it over 35 times vs the Jets the rest of the season.  Barring injuries to their D.  

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Team in win now mode at the peak of their powers handed over OC to someone that never has called plays.  

In a league that catches on to you quick - does it look like we’ve adjusted since the first Jets game last season?

46 passes against the best secondary in the NFL.  

Yea, they’re at least getting 1 or 2 picks minimum.  

I guarantee no team throws it over 35 times vs the Jets the rest of the season.  Barring injuries to their D.  

The Cowboys are playing them this week and I'm pretty sure you're going to see Dak throw at least 35 times.

So will KC and the Chargers and the Dolphins.  

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Peter said:

IMO hate is a bit strong, but criticism is certainly at least somewhat warranted.  Allen is the foundational/cornerstone element to the Offense that Dorsey "coordinates."  

But wouldn't you agree that it's the job of an OC to adjust to the opposing defense both during games but especially at the half, to the goal of improving and outperforming that same defense and DC?  

And visa versa for the defense?  

Here are Allen's stats by half from last season.  

Last season 24 of Allen's passing TDs were in the 1st halves of games. He had 11 in the 2nd halfs of games, fewer than half as many and not even 1 per game.

His INTs were about the same despite having about 25% fewer passing yards in the 2nd halves of games.  AKA a somewhat higher INT%.  

His 1st half rating average was 103.1, his 2nd half rating average was 89.5, the latter of which is incredibly average on a season.  

While many here are loathe to accept it, in-game adjustments, which is an incredibly significant attribute of the best coaches in the league, is not something that this team has been better than their top opponents at.  

Last season we averaged 28.4 PPG.  Of that, 12.9 PPG were in the 2nd halves, 15.5 in the 1st halves.  We started out with 45 of those second half points in the first two games however, but after that our 2nd half average scoring dropped to 11.5.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

He appeared to be with Daboll...no?

Yes...

I'm not sure if things changed as time went on... They probably did because Josh improved so much. But I know Dabs did not go easy on Josh early on when he needed to hear it. Everyone is different and I'm not saying dressing down a dude is the answer to everything. But maybe there is a balance? I don't know. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Yet we got our head coach throwing Gabe under the bus essentially… maybe he’ll find some time to stop clapping and watch some of this tape too.

Sean MIDdermott

Gabe needed to separate more, I think he’s allowed to critique him as well as Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Sorry, wasn't going to watch 36 minutes of this guy yapping.  Let me know when there's a real all-22 analysis including actual video

It's a podcast... It's not meant to be consumed while staring at your screen. I listen to this and other similar podcasts while commuting and while doing chores. It has basically taken the place of sports radio for me.

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think that’s the real question we’re all dancing around but not asking directly:

Is Josh Allen coachable?

He is coachable but his stubbornness is like an addiction - you can't trust him with it without constant over -sight and positive reinforcement. Dude is like a petulant child who constantly needs parenting 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.