Terry Pegula is ALLEGED to have said something very foul in the Jim Trotter lawsuit against the NFL

Roundybout

So the alleged statement was at a dinner per the Buffalo News report....

"A league source told The Buffalo News that the alleged comment was thoroughly investigated, including interviews with Terry and his wife and co-owner, Kim Pegula – who both denied the statement – and every other person at the dinner where this conversation purportedly took place."

However, from the complaint...

“During the meeting, an NFL Media reporter described a conversation he had with Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula in which Mr. Pegula was speaking about the recent emphasis on social activism by NFL players, and in particular support for Black Lives Matter.”

So, if we are to believe the Buffalo News report, the NFL Media reporter was at the dinner? If that's the case, logically this reporter must have also denied the statement if we are to believe the Buffalo News article, which doesn't make sense if said reporter described the conversation "during the meeting."

Make it make sense.

Some people are just assuming the NFL investigation is on the up-and-up. I wouldn't make that assumption for obvious historical reasons. 

Just like I'm not making the assumption those same unnamed people at the dinner would answer the same way under oath. 

Just like I'm not jumping to 'he definitely said it' based on 1 page of a lawsuit. 

I want to know a lot more information, starting with the person who claims to have heard it first hand. 

• Agree 1

Note that it was "heard". Which means there is no record of it actually happening. 

There is a name for this and it's called "hearsay".

Pegula vehemently has rejected that this happened, and honestly this looks like a targeted and calculated move by Trotter.

Also note that Trotter has no liability in any of this because since there is no record, he can simply say "That's what I heard".

I find it hard to believe this would be discussed in public with NFL reporters in the vicinity to hear it. 

Edited by BillsUberAlles

23 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

This is the correct reading of the allegation, tortured though the (original) wording may be. That is, attendees were Shield employees.

Rather odd though: para 128 effectively states that Mr Trotter was IN the zoom meeting, but did not himself hear the comment.

If it was a zoom call (virtual, of course) how precisely was TP having a (side) conversation with the unnamed reporter, who was also in the call? Yes, possible, but details matter.

I only quickly reviewed...but there are many similar leverage points in the complaint that any reasonable defense lawyer will attack.

Please note: I'm only making a cold-hearted evaluation of the stated fact pattern. I don't know what is true or not.

The allegation says during a zoom conference that Trotter was part of with other NFL reporters (employees), an unnamed reporter brought up a conversation that he/she with Terry.   Trotter would not have heard the comment directly, as the unnamed reporter was recalling comments made at a different time and place.  Trotter's complaint is that the NFL didn't investigate the allegation that these comments were made in a satisfactory manner.

Edited by DasNootz
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Well as BLM is claiming that blacks are targeted here by the powers that be or the police, let these concerned players go see how police treat blacks in Africa.  Large continent there are various regimes in countries that make up Africa I'm sure there are pockets of racial equality in some areas and some pretty gruesome conditions in other areas.  Just saying that ok if you think ìts so bad here go see how it is in another part of the world.  Africa being chosen as the place to start comparison because Black people originated from that continent.  Actually if the theory of evolution is accurate all humankind originateđ from Africa. And we are all black if we could trace our origins back to everyone's common ancestor I'm pretty confident that it would be a black person.

How many white ruled countries left in Africa?

So black Americans should just accept whatever treatment they get here....because it might be worse in another country?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

The allegation says during a zoom conference that Trotter was part of with other NFL reporters (employees), an unnamed reporter brought up a conversation that he/she with Terry.   Trotter would not have heard the comment directly, as the unnamed reporter was recalling comments made at a different time and place.  Trotters complaint is that the NFL didn't investigate the allegation that these comments were made in a satisfactory manner.

If what the Buffalo News claims is also true, that everyone at the dinner where Terry said this was interviewed and cleared him of the comments, Trotter's complaint that the NFL didn't investigate the allegations in a satisfactory manner is accurate if the person who heard the comments at the dinner (the unnamed reporter) was not interviewed.

This does not mean Terry said what he is accused of. It does, however, point to the NFL continuing to protect it's own in an effort to avoid all potential controversy. 

Edited by WEATHER DOT COM
  • Like (+1) 1

So Pegula on record strongly denying the claim, and I note the allegations are from 2020…can we honestly expect something this newsworthy to be kept quiet for 3 years despite the claim that over 40 people allegedly heard it? I don’t know how credible that is, not to mention the double or even triple levels of hearsay involved. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

So Pegula on record strongly denying the claim, and I note the allegations are from 2020…can we honestly expect something this newsworthy to be kept quiet for 3 years despite the claim that over 40 people allegedly heard it? I don’t know how credible that is, not to mention the double or even triple levels of hearsay involved. 

what is "double (or even triple) hearsay"?

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

Seems like a strange to say when the daughter was literally dating an African American player.

Yeah but he probably secretly hated Croom for that reason and that’s why he got cut. He also just squeezed lemon juice in his eyes when he broke down and cried talking about the Tops shooting.

The way I understand it is the suit breaks down as this:

- Trotter heard Jerry’s comments directly.

- He also has a colleague say he heard Pegula say something similar.

- Trotter reports this to the league and nothing ever comes from it. 

Trotters talking points don’t focus on Pegula. They are about the leagues due diligence, which comes into question because nobody every called him to get specifics about the Jones incident. So how could they have vetted Pegula. 

As a Bills fan I really dislike this. But as an NFL fan Pegula isn’t the story. 

Edited by Mango
Autocorrect is the worst.

3 hours ago, 4th&long said:

That’s why I’m wondering if this is true? You can’t possibly be this stupid and be a billionaire!

Sounds like BS to me. That statement is so an over the top caricature thing to me. Does he have a recording or a text? I doubt Pegula is racist as his wife is Asian and didn’t his daughter date Jason Croom a black player ? 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Trotters talking points don’t focus on Pegula. They are about the leagues due diligence, which comes into question because nobody every called him to get specifics about the Jones incident. So how could they have better Pegula. 

This is accurate. One point I am trying to understand related to the bolded...

If what the Buffalo News says is true, that everyone at the dinner with Pegula was interviewed and they all cleared him, Trotter's case against the NFL is stronger as the colleague who was at the dinner was not interviewed. 

Edited by WEATHER DOT COM
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Yikes. Really really bad quote from Terry there.

I was hoping that quote was by someone else. It's not. It's Terry. If this is a legit quote, there will be hell to pay for this. 

3 hours ago, Rhyno716 said:

What a dumb *****. There is no defending this.

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

If true... I have no words. Dumb is putting it politely.

FWIW, Terry Pegula denies it.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/statement-from-bills-owner-terry-pegula

yt9nvjsf6v0craboftuw.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

what is "double (or even triple) hearsay"?

If you read the article, the quote about Terry states: 

“Bills owner Terry Pegula made racist comment, lawsuit alleges

ESPN

Sep 12, 2023, 02:04 PM ET

Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula allegedly made a racist comment about Black players in the NFL, according to a racial discrimination lawsuit against the league filed Tuesday by longtime reporter Jim Trotter.

Trotter alleges in the lawsuit that in 2020, a fellow NFL Media reporter recalled a conversation he had with Pegula, who was speaking to the reporter about the NFL's social justice initiatives and Black Lives Matter.

The reporter, who was not identified in the lawsuit, told Trotter and approximately 40 other NFL Media coworkers during a Zoom call that Pegula said: "If the Black players don't like it here, they should go back to Africa and see how bad it is."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38387165/bills-owner-terry-pegula-made-racist-comment-lawsuit-alleges

Double or triple hearsay would be for example, reporter A tells reporter B that subject X said “XYZ”, and reporter B testifies to that effect—in court that’s hearsay, because the declarant would be the best person to testify about that statement, having been a party to it. Triple adds another layer, if for example one of the “40” tells Reporter B that Reporter A said he heard Subject X say XYZ…

In other words, it's a situation where one person relays what someone else said, who in turn was repeating what a third person said. As a general rule, that’s just not reliable or admissible in court, because prone to inaccuracies.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Trotters talking points don’t focus on Pegula. They are about the leagues due diligence, which comes into question because nobody every called him to get specifics about the Jones incident. So how could they have better Pegula. 

I think they knew the specifics--in fact his suit claims he wanted to mention the Jones comment on TV but NFL Media execs told him not to.

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Does Everyone just believe everything they read on the internet?

Humans have never been known to lie?

Pegula already came out and said these disgusting comments are 100% not his and he never said anything like that

Why jump on somebody when you don't have any facts

If he said it, would he admit it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.