Josh has lost confidence… reasons why.

Toledo Bill

At this point in his career, Josh should be a confident general. I’m not seeing that.

He should have the ability to not just check from a pass to a run, or vice versa, but to call any play in the playbook with the personnel on the field. The offense is way too predictable. guys like Brady and mahomes figure(d) these things out and are often throwing to guys who are wide open.

he’s not in control, he doesn’t use the resources at his disposal, he hasn’t improved. 

I felt like Josh took the easy throw almost the entire game last night (and was very good at them) except for basically 3 throws. Look at his spray chart.

https://x.com/NextGenStats/status/1701441061560934432?s=20

It was just that the three times he didnt it was a pick. On the int that was to Davis he had Kincaid underneath that would have likely been a first too.

But this idea that he was reckless all night isnt accurate. He took the easy stuff most of the night, I think he almost gets bored though.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, finn said:

I think self-discipline is the problem, not confidence. He's addicted to the dopamine rush of the deep ball, and teams that can get pressure with four can just wait for him to implode, like a child who really really really wants that candy just out of reach.

Maybe that's what Diggs is seeing. A man-child quarterback. 

No.  If anything Diggs sees an OC that handles him the opposite way Daboll did and Diggs thinks that has been a problem.  

Coddling.  Whatever you want to call it.  

That is much more likely considering that trash game plan yesterday.  

I couldn’t even tell you what we tried to do.  

And not one thing appeared to be done to calm everyone and everything down after the 2nd pick.  

Instead, Dorsey does same ***t.  Cook draw up the middle.  

Yesterday it was like he abandoned all reasonable thought and just played dumb, rushed, unfocused football.

Does this guy study at all? He needs to have a sit down with Peyton and learn how to analyze defense pre-snap.

If he cant see every player on the field or anticipate their movements hes just gonna be a dumb gamer of a qb this will be his limit.

Tough to watch guys. 

This game is summed up in 3 plays IMO ...

1. Josh takes off and runs left, is nowhere near the sticks, and tries to hurdle through the air on 2 Jets Defenders

2. Josh takes off and runs left with a virtually clear path to the sticks, and launches the ball downfield into double coverage, INT 1

3. 3rd and 2 midfield later in 4thQ, and he throws a 15 yard pass attempt to the right sideline, INT 3. JUST KEEP THE F'NG DRIVE ALIVE ... THAT'S WHY YOU GOT DAMIEN HARRIS ... FOR SHORT YARDAGE!

SHEER BONE HEAD ON EVERY F'NG PLAY

Edited by drummernut74
  • Like (+1) 1

He IS a great talent but my God, did you see him sulking on the bench every time he made a mistake. Jesus Christ man, get up and rally your teammates. No wonder Diggs has had it with this guy, it's painful to watch. Allen gives it his all on the field but his body language is beyond pathetic. This guy is not a rookie anymore, get out of your head and move on man. Until that part of him is fixed, this team is going to wither all around him.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BuffaloBaumer said:

He IS a great talent but my God, did you see him sulking on the bench every time he made a mistake. Jesus Christ man, get up and rally your teammates. No wonder Diggs has had it with this guy, it's painful to watch. Allen gives it his all on the field but his body language is beyond pathetic. This guy is not a rookie anymore, get out of your head and move on man. Until that part of him is fixed, this team is going to wither all around him.

Agreed.  Call Diggs a diva or whatever but that guy is all in and expects those around him to be as well.  If Allen had half of Diggs discipline and fire, the Bills would have hoisted a couple banners already.  Instead we get half hearted efforts on the field and sad sack press conferences after disgraceful losses.  But hey, on the bright side McD has his sideline clapping in mid-season form!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Yesterday it was like he abandoned all reasonable thought and just played dumb, rushed, unfocused football.

Does this guy study at all? He needs to have a sit down with Peyton and learn how to analyze defense pre-snap.

If he cant see every player on the field or anticipate their movements hes just gonna be a dumb gamer of a qb this will be his limit.

Tough to watch guys. 

Reading defenses from what I have heard and read in regards to Brady at least was watching lots of game film. Seeing their tendencies in certain formations, what they like to do.. what their weaknesses are. Heck I remember one of the former players on TV saying “if your not putting in the same amount of time as he (Brady) is on watching film and tendencies then he is going to torch you every time” .  

So basically he needs just to watch film to learn to read Defenses better.. (I don’t know if he does or doesn’t but that seems to be the way it’s done)

• Like (+1) 1

Come on now. Let's relax. He had a terrible game, no doubt, but when given the chance at the end of the game, he did lead us to the game tying FG. I have been one of the most critical posters of Josh, but I think he will be fine. This smack to the face should be a wakeup call. 🤞  We have a TEAM around him that can help him win. Let them help. We don't need Super Josh. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Reading defenses from what I have heard and read in regards to Brady at least was watching lots of game film. Seeing their tendencies in certain formations, what they like to do.. what their weaknesses are. Heck I remember one of the former players on TV saying “if your not putting in the same amount of time as he (Brady) is on watching film and tendencies then he is going to torch you every time” .  

So basically he needs just to watch film to learn to read Defenses better.. (I don’t know if he does or doesn’t but that seems to be the way it’s done)

Brady said he watched so much film that he knew where he was going with the ball before it was even snapped. I believe it. He routinely had one of the quickest releases in the NFL and was impossible to sack 

Josh likes to react. And by react clearly he means have a spaz attack in the middle of the field and forget how to function.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Damn! If you don’t want him anymore Pats give you a 4th and say 5th in 2025 for him. Lmao.

seriously! They need a face palm emoji for a reaction to these comments.  Stop over reacting! Your team yes TEAM played a horrid game last night but is so good almost won in spite of it!! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

A couple of years ago Josh would confidently stand in the picket and throw. Yes, he would still break out and run when needed but I remember sometimes thinking… wow, he had great protection.

I can only guess what has led to a now skittish, frustrated quarterback.

1. of course the offensive line seems to have regressed terribly.

2. Have defenses basically figured Josh (and our play calling out)?

3. Poor coaching

I am interested in opinions. Hopefully this is fixable.

He’s trying to be the hero in a win rather than just trying to win. He’s taking unnecessary risks to make highlight reel plays rather than focusing on making the correct/smart plays. He is hurdling defenders on first down, throwing deep into coverage and bailing on clean pockets instead of sliding, making safe underneath throws and getting the ball out on time to shorter patterns. Then, when that hasn’t worked, he finally panics and fumbles, throws a pick or just plain misfires on his throws. What a freaking waste. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Because the playcalling sucks and he feels he has to use his physical talent to overcome it 

"This play call sucks, let me throw into double coverage downfield where my WR has no chance at catching it."

"This play call sucks, let me drop the snap, then pick it up instead of falling on the ball and fumble it."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Damn! If you don’t want him anymore Pats give you a 4th and say 5th in 2025 for him. Lmao.

seriously! They need a face palm emoji for a reaction to these comments.  Stop over reacting! Your team yes TEAM played a horrid game last night but is so good almost won in spite of it!! 

Give us your next 10 firsts and you've got a trade.

The bottom line is you simply can’t be that careless with the ball.  You can live with some of the other dumb things like running straight into the defense when there’s no pressure, but the turnover thing is a deal-breaker.  How do you think a coach like parcells would’ve handled that QB performance last night?  

• Like (+1) 1

Hero ball. Sometimes Josh gets it into his head that he's invincible. Defend Josh all you want, he's our guy and he's really damn good, but the guy for whatever reason just cannot seem to "take what the defense gives you" in very tight hard fought games when the pressure gets a little more each series, unlike Mahomes or Burrow. It's like he goes from a calculated sniper in the first half, to a 1920 Chicago mafia gangster with a tommy gun just peppering a large area and hoping for the best.

I love Josh, I think we can win any game at any time with him, but he needs lacks patience in his game, if he can develop rock solid patience for 4 quarters consistently from game to game, the Bills will be very hard to beat. IMO he's a guy that a good defense can get into his head, and he will just keep doubling-down on his mistakes until he makes a big play (if he does)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Indeed. If I had to guess hes not a film junkie. That arm confidence prolly does that.

....but he needs to really chill out and take a beat

9 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Because the playcalling sucks and he feels he has to use his physical talent to overcome it 

This is nonsense....complete nonsense.  They had a quick pass game gameplan and it was working....13 points in the first half against that defense on the road is fine.  Against that team, you easily win.   Josh melted down in the second half, he played terribly, anyone who cannot see that is simply blinded by love for him.   Trying to jump through two LB's when there is no chance of getting the first down, throwing into double and triple coverage....throw it away, punt and live for another set of downs.  The winning formula is boring compared to what Josh wants to do.   He says what he needs to do, he understands it but when in the game, he cannot control his impulses.

• Agree 1

I disagree with the team comment. The fact that we still almost won is due to the rest of the team. The guy who touches the ball on every offensive play gave the game away. Despite the team doing what it could to keep us in it. You are right though, it is over reaction day today. Thing is, I thought this board would be worse. Pretty even keeled. 

I won’t say that. He’s a guy everyone would love to play with. But I do think he needs to take the next step. He needs to get in teammates’ face more. He also needs to watch his body language as well. Teammates feed off that. 

it’s so easy to be a gray leader when it is going great. But true leadership is picking guys up when it’s a struggle.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ask Diggs I'm sure he knows the truth. It could be so many things. Could be no faith in Dorsey, no faith in Oline, he may feel like no one else besides him and Diggs can make a play, and then the crazy stuff like drugs and alcohol. 

Then again it just might be the Jets are his kryptonite.

The Jets do seem to have his number. 

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

"This play call sucks, let me throw into double coverage downfield where my WR has no chance at catching it."

"This play call sucks, let me drop the snap, then pick it up instead of falling on the ball and fumble it."

If he isn’t happy with the playcalling, he will try to YOLO it and take over the game, yes. 

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

This is nonsense....complete nonsense.  They had a quick pass game gameplan and it was working....13 points in the first half against that defense on the road is fine.  Against that team, you easily win.   Josh melted down in the second half, he played terribly, anyone who cannot see that is simply blinded by love for him.   Trying to jump through two LB's when there is no chance of getting the first down, throwing into double and triple coverage....throw it away, punt and live for another set of downs.  The winning formula is boring compared to what Josh wants to do.   He says what he needs to do, he understands it but when in the game, he cannot control his impulses.

It was working and then Dorsey would call a lovely Cook draw up the middle right into Quinnen Williams’ mitts. 

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Yep. Agree.  There was one play can't remember if first or second half,,, he scrambled left and had all this open green field in front of him and the sidelines.  It was one time he could've run for the first down and gotten out of bounds,... but he stopped and threw downfield incomplete.  Punt.  Just very bizarre decision making. He was really rattled last night and didn't follow the plan.

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

If he isn’t happy with the playcalling, he will try to YOLO it and take over the game, yes. 

It was working and then Dorsey would call a lovely Cook draw up the middle right into Quinnen Williams’ mitts. 

Again, you have to consider the defense, you are not going to just go up and down the field all day vs those guys.   Not every play works, its not always on the OC when it does not work.  The gameplan was good, the QB's execution was the problem last night.

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Are you saying he's "crazy"?  

That he's "lost confidence"? 

That it was the "worst game of his career"?

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

Again, you have to consider the defense, you are not going to just go up and down the field all day vs those guys.   Not every play works, its not always on the OC when it does not work.  The gameplan was good, the QB's execution was the problem last night.

Josh played like ass. I’m not denying this at all. But I’m sorry, Dorsey still has this offense playing like gaining yards is a chore. Where’s the rhythm? 

• Agree 1

For YEARS now myself and many on this board have been saying the same things over and over. He needs to be more patient. He needs to stop the hero ball. He needs to manage the game better. He needs to run less. He needs to slide. Over and over.

The coaches from McDermott down have said the same things. Over and over.

Josh has said the same things himself! Over and over and over. Last night he said same sh$t, different day.

I'm just becoming very worried that this is him. That he will never make the necessary changes. 

Can we consistently win with the current Josh? Yes, no doubt. Can we win the SB or SB's with the current Josh? I very much doubt that. Would almost require dominant D and a lucky run.

I hope I'm wrong, but last night really has me thinking this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.