2023 NFL Season - Week #1 - Bills at Jets - Post game game thread

BuffaloBill

2 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

He said it himself.

He also said he was going to stop playing hero ball this season. About as authentic as Tomlin saying PITs loss was "a failure on our part in all areas."

Feign responsibility and you fend off lots of uncomfortable questions.

He talks a good game and can play one too when he uses his head.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

There should be about 10 other guys on that list.

Mostly on the defensive side of the ball. 

Besides Diggs I didn't see any great things from anyone else. Cook was ok and Kincaid show promise. 

Harty and Sherfield are one offs. Davis just sucks. This offensive has no game changers besides Diggs. 

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The pass rush was good but they were facing a poor pass blocking team and a back up QB. Also, a bottom tier offensive team. 

So the jury is out on how good the Bills pass rush is. It is very encouraging though. Hopefully, it's the real deal. It was one of the few bright spots in the game. 

They did it vs Rodgers on 3 of his 4 plays. 

the jets OL is questionable for sure, but I still think our pass rush is going to be extra fierce once we get von back 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Besides Diggs I didn't see any great things from anyone else. Cook was ok and Kincaid show promise. 

Harty and Sherfield are one offs. Davis just sucks. This offensive has no game changers besides Diggs. 

Kingcaid will change that once Dorsey/Josh start to trust him

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea Josh didn't run any screens today those are always good to frustrate a pass rush and slow them down.  I don't know if Josh just doesn't like screen plays but if that's the case he needs to learn it's not about what  plays he likes to run its about what plays will work against what he sees the defense doing but without film study hes not a ble to identify what plays will work to get the defenders to vacate the areas on the field he wants to run plays to.  

It's not Josh's responsibility to install screen plays into the offense or call them during a game.

I mean yeah, he could check into them. But how do we even know he has those plays available if they never run them? 

14 minutes ago, Simon said:

There was a report that the Bills OLine only gave up a 26% pressure rate tonight.

I know I saw Allen bailing out of clean pockets multiple times.

I can’t fully blame Josh for wanting to escape the pocket considering how hideous the protection has been for most of the time he’s been here. Almost like muscle memory kicking in. Trouble is it made the O Line’s job more difficult tonight.

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agreed it was mostly on defense but there wre a few guys on offense who came to play.

Dawkins was very good more often than not.

Kincaid was very good.

Torrence worked hard in a nice rookie debut.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I didn’t want to believe the window was closed but it is. 

Josh had his worst game as a pro and when he needed other areas to pick it up they didn’t.

if the window was ever open, i dont think this loss changes that.   Josh singlehandedly torpedoed that game.  Sam Howell wins that game.   Baker Mayfield even

The other areas never had a chance to pick it up (except maybe punt coverage.  Though i did see Siran Neal make an elite play on special teams)

the problem is Josh.  But is it fixable?

2 hours ago, sonyab1974 said:

I feel like we lost the superbowl! 😭😭

I feel like we just got disqualified.  Ineligible.  Not looking like that.

(not to be conspiracy guy, but) dont expect the  NFL to help that get to the superbowl this year.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I can’t fully blame Josh for wanting to escape the pocket considering how hideous the protection has been for most of the time he’s been here. Almost like muscle memory kicking in. Trouble is it made the O Line’s job more difficult tonight.

Then he needs to do more in practice  on staying in pocket.  Once he finds the open wr he can shift if he feels a bit of pressure from either tackle spots.  However he needs to know which wrs is open also then get the ball to that player.

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Simon said:

There was a report that the Bills OLine only gave up a 26% pressure rate tonight.

I know I saw Allen bailing out of clean pockets multiple times.

D lines are playing more to contain on the edges.  

Hope Josh panics and rolls out into trouble.  

This should be exploitable if you have a run game the D fears - because you have to get those LBs to step up on fakes - they never do and they don’t respect our run.  So we really don’t have space over the middle often enough.  Or Josh misses it or we can’t exploit it.  

Just my opinion one of the adjustments Ds are making.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, AuntieEm said:

Then he needs to do more in practice  on staying in pocket.  Once he finds the open wr he can shift if he feels a bit of pressure from either tackle spots.  However he needs to know which wrs is open also then get the ball to that player.

He needs to be confident in trusting the pocket to hold first. 

6 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Did already

No, the Steelers game was not even close.  That was a talentless team that was going nowhere.  This team has (had) Super Bowl aspirations and we’re watching our long-awaited franchise QB unravel in the worst way on national TV.  

On the plus side, Dalton Kincaid is already better than Dawson Knox, and I saw him lay some nice blocks, too.

Edited by mannc

2 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Jets D was a problem last year, it's continued into this year.  A full game of Rodgers could have been SUPER ugly. 

It's game 1 but man JA lost that game. 4 turn overs on the road deserves a loss. 

I didn't have enough weed to make it better

Go Bills!  Oh, wait?  😭

1 minute ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I didn't have enough weed to make it better

Go Bills!  Oh, wait?  😭

I lied evidently 

• Haha (+1) 1

After Josh Allen's massive 4th turn over, I turned off the TV and left my house. Knew it was over.

No Aaron Rodgers. We still lose. To Zach Wilson? Holy moly.

RB James Cook. I don't know man. We need a tank bruiser RB. It's just the 1st game. Let's see what happens next.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin

If I am McDermott I am having Dorsey put a leash on Allen. Need to rein him in a little for the betterment of his QB. Force him to operate more within the structure of the offense and take what is given even if it is checking it down. Dorsey needs to help his QB out by scheming guys open short and getting the ball out quicker. Give Allen some half field reads and move the pocket.

Right now Josh is just going off script and turning the ball over way too often which is killing the team. Despite how horrible of a loss it was it is only 1 game. Back half of the Bills schedule is brutal and they need to figure out things on offense quickly in the meantime.

Edited by billieve420

Refs were pulling for the jets.

Josh needs to stop with these freaking turnovers. He need to get serious about the offseason, go have fun when you retire.  Now i understand why Diggs was pissed off 

Did Dorsey forget what deep ball is, also running the ball in overtime was special ed.

can peyton Manning be the OC and we should have brought in Jim Schwartz as DC.

Apologies if it's been said already - just waking up here in the UK and getting my head around the highlights and box score.

But we had 41 pass attempts and only 22 rush (6 of which were by Josh) but we averaged 4.4 ypc. Josh threw 3 picks. Is it fair to say we might have been better with a more balanced attack?

Or am I over-simplfying it? Haven't see the full game.

Also, getting a bit tired of us relying on Diggs for 40-50% of our total receiving yards and no-one else getting more than 30-60 each week.

It's not sustainable - and it's not really necessary either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Mahomes frequently has wide open receivers that get him huge RAC. This is because Andy Reid is twice the play designer and play caller that Dorsey is. He also frequently has Kelce inexplicably wide open when the play breaks down.

Mahomes struggles (just like Allen did today) when the other team gets pressure with 4 rushers. See the Bucs Super Bowl for a recent example.

Kincaid was open on Allen’s 3rd int. What good is scheming guys open when your qb can’t identify them and makes the wrong reads? I see this excuse a lot on here trying to discredit Mahomes. Yes Andy Reid schemes their guys open. But it would be moot if Mahomes doesn’t make the right reads. What makes him better than Allen is he makes the right reads quicker and more often. Even in their loss to Detroit Mahomes was hitting the right receivers and they just couldn’t catch.

Allen was just terrible tonight. There’s no excuse for this performance from an elite qb entering his 6th season. Good news is it’s only 1 game. Can’t get any worse than this.

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

If I am McDermott I am having Dorsey put a leash on Allen. Need to rein him in a little for the betterment of his QB. Force him to operate more within the structure of the offense and take what is given even if it is checking it down. Dorsey needs to help his QB out by scheming guys open short and getting the ball out quicker. Give Allen some half field reads and move the pocket.

Right now Josh is just going off script and turning the ball over way too often which is killing the team. 

Rinse and repeat since second half of green bay last year. Something isn't working with the combo of Dorsey and Allen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Kincaid was open on Allen’s 3rd int. What good is scheming guys open when your qb can’t identify them and makes the wrong reads? I see this excuse a lot on here trying to discredit Mahomes. Yes Andy Reid schemes their guys open. But it would be moot if Mahomes doesn’t make the right reads. What makes him better than Allen is he makes the right reads quicker and more often. Even in their loss to Detroit Mahomes was hitting the right receivers and they just couldn’t catch.

Allen was just terrible tonight. There’s no excuse for this performance from an elite qb entering his 6th season. Good news is it’s only 1 game. Can’t get any worse than this.

He completed about 70% of his passes, most of them short and schemed open. When he went long they had it covered. They had everything deep covered all game and he should not of taken the chances, not in a game like that against Zach ***** Wilson.  The two to the endzone were a ***** joke, like he doesn’t even realize there are still dropping guys on the opposite side of the field. He’s just greedy sometimes and I think Dorsey has the same ***** mentality so the play calling makes it worse

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

A couple of thoughts, the morning after. I'm seeing a lot of what I saw last year from the offense.

- Josh playing hero ball and someone on that coaching staff needs to rein hiim in. With Rodgers out, the goal should have been at that point to not make any major mistakes. Why was he even playing hero ball?

- Dorsey. More weapons on offense, arguablely, and he still can't get that offense rolling. This offense needs to run through Diggs, Cook and Kincaid. His play calling is very questionable and rather frustrating. Another awful game plan.

I think both things can be problems at the same time. Week 1 done, trying not to make too many overreactions. We go again.

• Like (+1) 2

We brought in Gilliam for 1 play…Cook went for about 13 yards almost untouched then never did it again. We should be using “A” Fb on almost every play. Wether it be 41/88…The shotgun handoff up the middle does not work. We have been doing it for years, we can’t run the ball. I don’t understand how for 15 years all we could do is run the ball…now we actually have a good passing game that opens up the box and we can’t take advantage.

If the run play design had half the creativity and enthusiasm as the pass game, maybe we’d have something. We have an incredible collection of skill sets that could make us borderline unstoppable on the ground. (Under center) 2 pass catching athletic TEs, a QB that is among the best runners in nfl history, Cook, Harris, a FB, Hardy…I mean we could actually be very dangerous with an offense like SF. This ***** is infuriating. Stop trying to make Josh Drew Brees. The guy is not that guy. Design plays to get the most out of him. Standing in the pocket throwing 40x ain’t it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

What's to the point comes and it's time to ditch Dorsey. How the hell is McDermott going to survive getting an interim OC that I'll have to watch over all the while calling the defense and being the head coach? Strategically this is a poor idea that was enacted

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

What's to the point comes and it's time to ditch Dorsey. How the hell is McDermott going to survive getting an interim OC that I'll have to watch over all the while calling the defense and being the head coach? Strategically this is a poor idea that was enacted

Not a chance mcd moves on from Dorsey mid season quit dreaming pinch yourself

7 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Not a chance mcd moves on from Dorsey mid season quit dreaming pinch yourself

My dream was firing McChump and keeping Daboll

4 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

It’s true…fire McD and fire Dorsey chants are futile. It’s just not going to happen. 

More likely than not this team will turn on itself and in more ways than one it’s already started. 

It's in this teams nature since the meltdown on each other in KC post 13 seconds. 

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Same loss we’ve seen over and over and over with this dude

His defends will come out and blame Josh, Davis, someone.

The reality is Josh needs the right coach, the right system supporting and guiding him.

Josh is a phenomenal athlete - one you build a team around and coach the system to success as a concept. McChump can't do this. It's not about Dorsey, it's top to bottom so you start back at the top.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

The reality is Josh needs the right coach, the right system supporting and guiding him.

Josh is a phenomenal athlete - one you build a team around and coach the system to success as a concept. McChump can't do this. It's not about Dorsey, it's top to bottom so you start back at the top.

You may be right overall but last night wasn't on McDermott. It was solely and purely on Josh and, after seeing this kind of approach from him time and again despite saying he's learned his lesson in countless press conferences, something has to give. Coaches cannot do everything - the players have to take personal responsibility too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, UKBillFan said:

You may be right overall but last night wasn't on McDermott. It was solely and purely on Josh and, after seeing this kind of approach from him time and again despite saying he's learned his lesson in countless press conferences, something has to give. Coaches cannot do everything - the players have to take personal responsibility too.

McDermott has been allmover Josh to play smart and play better.

It's a tight line to walk but McChump needs to be coaching these players, overseeing his play calling which fell apart int he second half. McChump is the top of this system.

Josh lost the game but why did we totally flip play calling in the second half? Was McDermott able to pay attention to that when he was busy letting Breece hall run all over his defense or let a backup shittier QB beat him?

15 minutes ago, boyst said:

The Bills own the most precious asset in the sport: A bona fide franchise quarterback. The organization needs to do everything in its power to maximize that advantage and they should be judged based how well they do it.  This coaching staff deserves about a D-, maybe a flat out F since they have allowed JA to regress. Time’s a wasting; we should have moved on from these guys 8 months ago.

Edited by mannc
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

McDermott has been allmover Josh to play smart and play better.

It's a tight line to walk but McChump needs to be coaching these players, overseeing his play calling which fell apart int he second half. McChump is the top of this system.

Josh lost the game but why did we totally flip play calling in the second half? Was McDermott able to pay attention to that when he was busy letting Breece hall run all over his defense or let a backup shittier QB beat him?

I think most contenders now have an OC as Head Coach. There are two brains in the room to look at any issues there may be on the offensive side of the ball, with ability to bounce ideas off each other and perhaps be good cop/bad cop with the quarterback where needed. I imagine with Daboll's presence this mattered slightly less, as he had Dorsey to work with. Who's the second command for the offensive side of the ball now? Presumably Joe Brady. But he has very little experience of the role compared to Dorsey when he held that position.

But then every time one of us fans say this needs to change to make thing better, the Bills seem to try implementing it and instead make things worse. I can't help but feel part of Josh's issues, which started less year, was the "protect yourself" mantra which now sees him caught in two minds, or maybe desperate to get things done in one play to get off the field. Logically, bringing in a OC Head Coach should be the next step but I have no confidence it would solve things.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Thats bull$#@+ it is 100% coaching josh didnt go from all-world to trash bin for no reason the same way tua didnt go from trash bin to all world for no reason.

Coaching is EVERYTHING

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.