Nyheim Hines is suing the person who hit him on a jetski

Draconator

2 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

He needs to be more careful and not put himself in dangerous situations.

If the person was operating under the influence then yes suing seems appropriate but if they weren’t, that’s an unfortunate accident.

You assume risk with you ur actions everyday and some dude who loses control of a jet ski seems like an accident, in fairness it wasn’t me getting my knees twisted the opposite direction and if so I may feel differently.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 7
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, julian said:

If the person was operating under the influence then yes suing seems appropriate but if they weren’t, that’s an unfortunate accident.

You assume risk with you ur actions everyday and some dude who loses control of a jet ski seems like an accident, in fairness it wasn’t me getting my knees twisted the opposite direction and if so I may feel differently.

If you lose control of a jet ski for other than mechanical failure you shouldn't be operating one.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Interesting nothing came of this on the Bills side. From the sounds of his agents tweets, it seemed like for a time we were going to let him go. But that never happened. Wonder if he's still being paid and what the plan is going forward.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Since it was not a football related injury the Bills put him on the NFI list. That means they are not obligated to pay him his salary or any per game roster bonuses. That’s $3M they don’t have to pay him. Also the Bills can choose to pay him his full or a lesser amount. I have no information about what they chose, but I bet they aren’t paying him much, if anything. Thus the lawsuit to recoup his lost earning. 

10 minutes ago, julian said:

If some idiot on a jet ski hit you, tore up your knee and cost you at least $3M you’d only sue if they were drunk or high? LOL You’d sue. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Since it was not a football related injury the Bills put him on the NFI list. That means they are not obligated to pay him his salary or any per game roster bonuses. That’s $3M they don’t have to pay him. Also the Bills can choose to pay him his full or a lesser amount. I have no information about what they chose, but I bet they aren’t paying him much, if anything. Thus the lawsuit to recoup his lost earning. 

If some idiot on a jet ski hit you, tore up your knee and cost you at least $3M you’d only sue if they were drunk or high? LOL You’d sue. 

I’m not American.. we don’t sue up North here lol

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

That's ok buddy.  I don't mind you cost me several millions of loonies.

How aboot we go to the bar, eh?

Every Canadian never.

Lol I don’t care one way or another, if he deserves money I hope he gets it.

Obviously Canadians sue on occasion. But not often due to judge only, no jury trials and the “loser pays” law where the judge can make the plaintiff pay all cost for all 3 parties including the court,

it’s just not prevalent.

Just now, julian said:

Lol I don’t care one way or another, if he deserves money I hope he gets it.

Obviously Canadians sue on occasion. But not often due to judge only, no jury trials and the “loser pays” law where the judge can make the plaintiff pay all cost for all 3 parties including the court,

it’s just not prevalent.

I get it.  I'm just messing with you. 😄

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Acrylic cage 24/7?

20 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

That's ok buddy.  I don't mind you cost me several millions of loonies.

How aboot we go to the bar, eh?

Every Canadian never.

Don’t call him buddy, guy.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Interesting nothing came of this on the Bills side. From the sounds of his agents tweets, it seemed like for a time we were going to let him go. But that never happened. Wonder if he's still being paid and what the plan is going forward.

I don't think "nothing came of it".  I think it's being worked out in private.

The situation is, with Hines suffering a "non football injury", the Bills were no longer legally obligated under the CBA to pay him his salary or his per-game roster bonuses.  Of course, the team can still *choose* to pay him.

What the agent's "sabre rattling" was about, was an attempt to push the Bills into paying his salary in the court of public opinion.  Since Beane don't play that way, we saw the agent hush up quickly.  Doesn't mean negotiations aren't taking place quietly behind the scenes. 

Beane said they want him back next season.  Of course, that can change if someone else steps into his roles.

49 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

If you lose control of a jet ski for other than mechanical failure you shouldn't be operating one.

If you are a professional athlete you shouldn't be operating one either. Sounds like it was specifically in his contract and yet he did it anyways 

48 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Jet skis aren't any more inherently dangerous than most motor boats.  Like a car, jet skis become dangerous when people ride them recklessly.   It's not like Hines was sky diving or bull riding.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Jet skis aren't any more inherently dangerous than most motor boats.  Like a car, jet skis become dangerous when people ride them recklessly.   It's not like Hines was sky diving or bull riding.

fair… they are poor decision multipliers though, like motorcycles … or pogo sticks 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think "nothing came of it".  I think it's being worked out in private.

The situation is, with Hines suffering a "non football injury", the Bills were no longer legally obligated under the CBA to pay him his salary or his per-game roster bonuses.  Of course, the team can still *choose* to pay him.

What the agent's "sabre rattling" was about, was an attempt to push the Bills into paying his salary in the court of public opinion.  Since Beane don't play that way, we saw the agent hush up quickly.  Doesn't mean negotiations aren't taking place quietly behind the scenes. 

Beane said they want him back next season.  Of course, that can change if someone else steps into his roles.

"Knock it off with that 'public pressure' crap, or we'll call your bluff and you won't get a dime."

But on the note of Hines being partially responsible, I kind of see where the unpopular opinion is coming from.  Of course he is right to sue and should get every dime he legally can, but it's still stupid for a professional athlete to be engaging in such an inherently dangerous activity.  It's akin to buying a lottery ticket with the prize of pain and suffering, and losing a livelihood worth literally millions of dollars.  No reason to become a recluse in bubble wrap, but maybe stay off the jet skis, motorcycles, etc.  There's a reason these activities are often banned in contracts.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

If the guy who struck Hines with the jet ski has an umbrella insurance policy then that could easily cover a lawsuit of 1+ million, so maybe that's why Hines is suing 

first of all, the guy was a renter, so he has no PWC insurance.

Anyway, you think the average Joe's Ski rental adds umbrella insurance on his jets to cover another million dollars (let alone 4 million)??

I be there is no such PWC policy ever written. 

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Maybe he has an umbrella policy 

Remember as kids in the 1960s before playing pickup sports everyone would say "chips on me!"?  Sort of a half assed attempt to say if you broke an arm or leg, any offending party was responsible for damages.  One would think if you tripped over your own feet, you couldn't blame the kid playing the Leslie Frazier type of defense.  I never saw the so called insurance put to the test.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you think the average Joe adds umbrella insurance on his jets to cover another million dollars (let alone 4 million)??

I be there is no such PWC policy ever written. 

Lots of people have umbrella policies and they would definitely cover liability associated with a jetski accident.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

As he should

Absolutely.  I don't know what the laws in boating are, but I would hope most states would require some sort of insurance for boat owner/operators.  Unless the guy is either wealthy or carries some sort of liability coverage in might be tough for Hines to collect any meaningful compensation, but as they say, it's the principle of the matter.

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

fair… they are poor decision multipliers though, like motorcycles … or pogo sticks 

I just don't see jet skis being in the same danger category.   Where I live, near Chautauqua Lake, jet skis are everywhere.   Several of my friends have or had jet skis.   I've ridden them.   I've also ridden horses, and horses are a lot more dangerous.   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.