Caleb Williams - unreal player (and who will get him?)

RobbRiddick

I don't really watch college ball but I've been watching some of this guy. Originally I wanted to see if the hype was real, then because he's just so damn good to watch.

I hear a lot about him being Mahomes-esque and I actually can see that. Man, he throws a pretty pass, and his movement is so smooth and fluid. That pass he made as he headed out of bounds Vs Nevada was actually Allen-esque. He gets a lot of time to throw which is always something to take into account but wow, I'd be shocked if this guy isn't great in the NFL.

And this brings me to who gets him next year. There's a lot of talk about certain teams tanking for him (mainly the Cards and Rams). That will definitely be one of the things to look out for later in the season. If the Cards get the number 1 pick it'll be interesting to see what they do with Kyler and what they'll be able to get for him in a trade (hasn't he made noises that he may not come out?)

You have to imagine McVay is frothing at the mouth at the thought of getting this guy. 

What do the college experts think? 

• Like (+1) 2

Arizona

but I wouldn’t count the Rams out.  Their team is much better than Az at the moment, but I still think tanking for Caleb was in their plans.  Kylers acl tear threw a wrench in that plan

Edited by NewEra

45 minutes ago, Process said:

The Cardinals organization is pretty much a joke but that was an amazing trade they made with Houston last draft. They have a legitimate chance at getting both Williams and Harrison Jr. 

They do I deed, so they might to have to dig deep into their bag of tricks to find a way to stink even with those two studs. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

The Cardinals organization is pretty much a joke but that was an amazing trade they made with Houston last draft. They have a legitimate chance at getting both Williams and Harrison Jr. 

Hmm. Not if they end up 1 and 2. Houston won't be bad enough this year to draft in the top 2. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. Not if they end up 1 and 2. Houston won't be bad enough this year to draft in the top 2. 

The Texans have the second lowest win total for this season. There is definitely a chance their pick is top 3. Williams - Maye - Harrison is a realistic possibility.

Just now, Process said:

The Texans have the second lowest win total for this season. There is definitely a chance their pick is top 3. Williams - Maye - Harrison is a realistic possibility.

I know what Vegas thinks of them. I'm telling you now they won't earn a top 2 pick. I actually think they have a legit shot to come 2nd in their division if Stroud is anything above terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think more of the weaker teams should be in the NFC this year. The one AFC team to keep an eye on IMO is Denver. I think Russ is on a short leash. He gets 6 weeks but if they are 2-4 or 1-5 or something like that they will pull him and hit the tank button hard. 

Are you onboard with the Williams hype?

As someone who doesn't watch the college game much I can honestly say I'm pretty stunned when I watch him and some of the things he does. There have been lots of electric guys playing QB in college who are highlight machines but he seems different. His passes just look so smooth and fluid, the arm strength is great, he's got wheels, seems to have coolness under pressure. I do completely get the Mahomes comparisons.

It'll be fascinating to see how he does when he turns pro. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I know what Vegas thinks of them. I'm telling you now they won't earn a top 2 pick. I actually think they have a legit shot to come 2nd in their division if Stroud is anything above terrible. 

I didn't say they are a favorite to land a top two pick. I said there is a realistic chance their pick is top 3 and Arizona can land Williams and Harrison. If you think that highly of the Texans that you think this is completely outside the realm of possibility than we can agree to disagree lol. 

2 minutes ago, Process said:

I didn't say they are a favorite to land a top two pick. I said there is a realistic chance their pick is top 3 and Arizona can land Williams and Harrison. If you think that highly of the Texans that you think this is completely outside the realm of possibility than we can agree to disagree lol. 

Yea we disagree. I think there are at least 5 or 6 teams worse than them as long as Stroud is better than terrible. If Stroud is terrible it is possible, of course, because they will stick with him and take their lumps you'd think rather than go back to Mills. But even playing at the level Davis Mills has played the last two seasons I think Houston would be comfortably better than the 3rd worst team in football. I think there might be two worse teams in their own division. 

8 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Are you onboard with the Williams hype?

As someone who doesn't watch the college game much I can honestly say I'm pretty stunned when I watch him and some of the things he does. There have been lots of electric guys playing QB in college who are highlight machines but he seems different. His passes just look so smooth and fluid, the arm strength is great, he's got wheels, seems to have coolness under pressure. I do completely get the Mahomes comparisons.

It'll be fascinating to see how he does when he turns pro. 

I think he is very good, yea. I thought he looked special when he started some for Oklahoma in 2021, and while I didn't watch much USC last season, I did watch a lot of Jordan Addison film in the draft process last year and Williams definitely flashes as a thrower. I'd want to dig into the tape a bit more on the technical elements but just watching him on TV I think he is super impressive. 

• Like (+1) 2

It'll be interesting to see what Arizona does with Kyler this season and, if they do finish with pick 1, what they're able to get for Kyler (and how that insane contract they gave him plays into things). 

I'd imagine the drama queens at ESPN are praying for this to happen as it'll make a very interesting offseason for them. 

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

May I suggest you look at his resume? 

Name one great USC QB 🦗🦗🦗

Sam Darnold, Matt Barkley, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Rob Johnson 🤢 Carson Palmer being the only outlier and he wasn’t anything special either. 

I’m not sold. Have you watched any USC games lately? Guy has a literal brick wall in front of him every time he drops back. I’m not saying he won’t be great, but people were spouting this same crap about Trey Lance who’s now a backup on his 2nd team in 2 years. Almost every year there’s a massively talented freak QB like this (Mariota, Jamarcus Russell, Kyler Murray, Lance, Jake Locker, Jeff George? etc) who’s supposed to take the league by storm and be the next so & so, but they almost never pan out. For every Mahomes or Allen there’s a Marcus Mariota, Jake Locker, Kyle Murray, Jeff George, Vince Young, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

It'll be interesting to see what Arizona does with Kyler this season and, if they do finish with pick 1, what they're able to get for Kyler (and how that insane contract they gave him plays into things). 

I'd imagine the drama queens at ESPN are praying for this to happen as it'll make a very interesting offseason for them. 

Im hoping Caleb goes to the NFC. I’m tired of the AFC being so stacked at QB 

4 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I don't think he is tradeable or cuttable with that contract. A trade makes sense for Arizona but the trading team has to take on $37m salary. Nobody is paying him that much. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

If they are on track for the first pick they may not play him at all this year. Not going to be easy to trade a meh QB with a huge contract coming off an ACL injury who hasn't played in 1.5 years. 

6 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

If he played for any other team but USC I would be a believer. 

He was at Oklahoma and woulda been a star .. bur left with Riley

He would be a star in the SEC too

Developing into an NFL quarterback has nothing to do with where you go to school...  Being an NFL quarterback is the hardest thing in the world...

It has to do with the intangibles as much as the tangibles... Work ethic.. scheme fit... Your coaches

It comes down to a lot of things... He's not your typical USC system QB

He could be the starting quarterback anywhere in the country in college 

Doesn't mean he will be an NFL star but USC isn't the one that is or isn't holding him back 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

AZ is actively tanking as they should. I don't see any other teams doing it. If LA dumped Stafford I would have believed it. I've heard AZ is actively going to keep the little guy off the field the whole year if that's what it takes to get #1. And just to be sure they dumped their backup Colt McCoy, who is good for a couple of wins. If AZ does all of this and somehow finishes with #2 it's going to be pretty funny

6 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The Cards are highly likely to get him, but the guys chances at succeeding there are not great based on the current roster. Even with Marvin Jr, they would still be largely devoid of top end talent.

He might not “succeed” his first or second season due to a poor supporting cast but I’d be shocked if he wasn’t, at the very least, a very good QB.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Sam Darnold, Matt Barkley, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Rob Johnson 🤢 Carson Palmer being the only outlier and he wasn’t anything special either. 

I’m not sold. Have you watched any USC games lately? Guy has a literal brick wall in front of him every time he drops back. I’m not saying he won’t be great, but people were spouting this same crap about Trey Lance who’s now a backup on his 2nd team in 2 years. Almost every year there’s a massively talented freak QB like this (Mariota, Jamarcus Russell, Kyler Murray, Lance, Jake Locker, Jeff George? etc) who’s supposed to take the league by storm and be the next so & so, but they almost never pan out. For every Mahomes or Allen there’s a Marcus Mariota, Jake Locker, Kyle Murray, Jeff George, Vince Young, etc. 

I feel like some of these comps aren't great in this scenario. 

Mariota was ruined by poor coaching. 

Russell was a complete knuckle-dragging moron. 

Murray seems to have no heart for the game and has massive size limitations. 

Lance was ridiculously raw out of ND. 

Locker also had bad coaching and I think he wasn't that talented in the first place. 

George had an ego the size of Texas. 

Young was an idiot and also super injury-prone. 

Edited by Roundybout
  • Agree 1

you’re comparing Caleb Williams with Trey Lance?  You can’t be serious. 

trevor Lawrence looks to be panning out.  Similar to Joe Burrow.  And Justin Herbert.  Fields looks pretty good.  As does Hurts.  And Tua.  

you’re using the college he attends to cultivate your opinion on the kid.  He’s dam good and will be dam good in the nfl 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

They dumped Rosen in a hurry and took the lil guy. I could see them just saying screw it w Murray too.  In fact, I think they would be fools not to.  Just take the L and move on, they will have to GUT their roster to do it, but that’s what you get for caving to a putz like him.

This could be an Osweiler situation where they have to give somebody a high pick to take him, just so they can have enough salary cap to field a team.  They can’t just cut him and I don’t know that anybody really wants him.  If a team has a lot of cap space and would take a first or second rounder to blow it on him for a year or two, it might be the best option.  The other thing they might do is pay him to stay away.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Agree 1

Does the helmet prevent professional success?  You do realize that the only thing he has in common with those guys is a uniform.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he is tradeable or cuttable with that contract. A trade makes sense for Arizona but the trading team has to take on $37m salary. Nobody is paying him that much. 

Yeah, they're stuck with him for the next 2 seasons (not sure why Spotrac says potential out after the 2027 season).

When you’re bored go check out the Youtube recap of Caleb’s Gonzaga team beating DeMatha in the 2018 Washington DC Catholic league championship.  It’s been billed as the “greatest game ever” by local high school football fans. Crazy final few mins.

But i do think Arizona will finagle their way to getting Williams. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.