Caleb Williams - unreal player (and who will get him?)

RobbRiddick

Couple thoughts..

Thank God he’s going to an NFC team where no other quality QBs seem to exist outside of Hurts. It’s incredible the bad luck we’ve had where we get our QB finally and then so does every other AFC power. 

Arizona announced they were tanking at the draft in April with that genius trade with Houston. They get 2 bites at the #1 pick with that move. They really could get Caleb and Harrison Jr. 

Kyler isn’t playing this year. They’ll trade him for sure but NBA teams do this too.. sit your best player and tank. Kyler will cost them losses so you can’t play him. He’s a bum anyways. 

The rams will try to lose also so I don’t think we’ll see much of kupp this year either. Their problem is they have to play Arizona twice this year and someone has to win. Unfortunately for them Arizona is just worse, but not by much. 

This is also why if you haven’t put money on the Niners at +10.5 wins, you’re throwing money away. They have their bye week plus essentially 4 more byes built in with their auto-wins against 2 teams actively tanking. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

People keep talking about the Rams tanking. Are they really going to tank? I dunno just feels like that team is still too talented to really suck badly enough to get the #1 overall pick. 

How are they “too talented” other than an aging stafford, hurt kupp, and a 1 man defense? Go look at their roster. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team with more UDFAs, etc. Go look at their schedule, they’re likely to start 2-8 at best before they get to play the other team tanking in Arizona. I think kupp and stafford get shut down after that. As someone else mentioned, there’s more than 1 qb in this draft and the rams actually finally have a 1st rounder this year so they got their chance now to replace stafford. 

16 hours ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

How are they “too talented” other than an aging stafford, hurt kupp, and a 1 man defense? Go look at their roster. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team with more UDFAs, etc. Go look at their schedule, they’re likely to start 2-8 at best before they get to play the other team tanking in Arizona. I think kupp and stafford get shut down after that. As someone else mentioned, there’s more than 1 qb in this draft and the rams actually finally have a 1st rounder this year so they got their chance now to replace stafford. 

They still have a decent OLine if they stay healthy, Stafford, Kupp, Higbee, Donald and two good safeties. 

I am not arguing they are good. There are definite weak spots on the roster but bad enough to be in the running for #1 overall? I mean without really trying to tank I am not sure I see it. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They still have a decent OLine if they stay healthy, Stafford, Kupp, Higbee, Donald and two good safeties. 

I am not arguing they are good. There are definite weak spots on the roster but bad enough to be in the running for #1 overall? I mean without really trying to tank I am not sure I see it. 

I read that the rams have a huge number of rookies on the team, that's what seems to have started the tanking talk with them. 

On 9/4/2023 at 9:52 AM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Name one great USC QB 🦗🦗🦗

Sam Darnold, Matt Barkley, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Rob Johnson 🤢 Carson Palmer being the only outlier and he wasn’t anything special either. 

I’m not sold. Have you watched any USC games lately? Guy has a literal brick wall in front of him every time he drops back. I’m not saying he won’t be great, but people were spouting this same crap about Trey Lance who’s now a backup on his 2nd team in 2 years. Almost every year there’s a massively talented freak QB like this (Mariota, Jamarcus Russell, Kyler Murray, Lance, Jake Locker, Jeff George? etc) who’s supposed to take the league by storm and be the next so & so, but they almost never pan out. For every Mahomes or Allen there’s a Marcus Mariota, Jake Locker, Kyle Murray, Jeff George, Vince Young, etc. 

And let’s not forget Rodney Peete, Todd Marijuanavich, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Gotta think Mcvay, stafford, kupp, donald can get you at least 5 wins.  They won 5 last year with all 3 of those guys missing time.  And starting random QBs like Mayfield and Wolford.  

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Gotta think Mcvay, stafford, kupp, donald can get you at least 5 wins.  They won 5 last year with all 3 of those guys missing time.  And starting random QBs like Mayfield and Wolford.  

Yea their overall roster is weaker than last year, they lost Wagner, Floyd and Ramsey. They also lost a couple of dependable mid tier guys like Allen Robinson, A'Shawn Robinson and Troy Hill. But last season not only did all those guys miss time they had lost both starting guards and their left tackle by week 6 and their safeties were banged up. 

I don't think the Rams are good but I agree with you that 5 or 6 wins feels like their floor unless they get seriously injury bitten again... and that won't be bad enough to pick #1. They could still be in position to take a QB, don't get me wrong. But I'd be surprised if it is Williams. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea their overall roster is weaker than last year, they lost Wagner, Floyd and Ramsey. They also lost a couple of dependable mid tier guys like Allen Robinson, A'Shawn Robinson and Troy Hill. But last season not only did all those guys miss time they had lost both starting guards and their left tackle by week 6 and their safeties were banged up. 

I don't think the Rams are good but I agree with you that 5 or 6 wins feels like their floor unless they get seriously injury bitten again... and that won't be bad enough to pick #1. They could still be in position to take a QB, don't get me wrong. But I'd be surprised if it is Williams. 

Yeah, some serious regression from guys like both robinsons too.  Allen robinson is in a decent spot now with johnson getting majority of targets, and pickens likely getting a lot of attention.  Still think he's lost a step though. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/5/2023 at 4:56 AM, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Couple thoughts..

Thank God he’s going to an NFC team where no other quality QBs seem to exist outside of Hurts. It’s incredible the bad luck we’ve had where we get our QB finally and then so does every other AFC power. 

Arizona announced they were tanking at the draft in April with that genius trade with Houston. They get 2 bites at the #1 pick with that move. They really could get Caleb and Harrison Jr. 

Kyler isn’t playing this year. They’ll trade him for sure but NBA teams do this too.. sit your best player and tank. Kyler will cost them losses so you can’t play him. He’s a bum anyways. 

The rams will try to lose also so I don’t think we’ll see much of kupp this year either. Their problem is they have to play Arizona twice this year and someone has to win. Unfortunately for them Arizona is just worse, but not by much. 

This is also why if you haven’t put money on the Niners at +10.5 wins, you’re throwing money away. They have their bye week plus essentially 4 more byes built in with their auto-wins against 2 teams actively tanking. 

Spot on.  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Looks like a few to choose from but my

money is on Drake Maye being the 2nd QB off the board.  It could be a very interesting qb class

• Agree 1

On 9/4/2023 at 10:52 AM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Name one great NFL QB producing school.

Succeeding as an NFL QB is just too much of a crapshoot to say "just another USC QB." (Or whatever school you choose).

Here's an ESPN list of the best QB producing colleges:

https://www.on3.com/news/quarterback-u-espn-released-top-10-producing-schools-oklahoma-alabama-lsu-ohio-state/

Oklahoma is #1 because guys like Sam Bradford, Baker Mayfield, and Kyler Murray have definitely succeeded as NFL QBs. But Jalen Hurts is the only one who seems like he has a chance to become an elite NFL QB. 

Other colleges on the list are there because they've produced the likes of Justin Herbert (maybe a future elite) and Marcus Mariota (definitely a current journeyman) or Bryce Young (we'll see), Tua (same) and Mac Jones (we've seen enough I think).

And our great current/recently retired NFL QBs have come from Texas Tech, Wyoming, Cal, Michigan, Tennessee, Purdue, Louisville.

If we limit it to the 2000s, "Name one great [school name] QB" works for pretty much any college. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cardinals are getting the top pick but my point was that the rams are tanking too and are AWFUL. MCvay mentioned today kupp might go on IR. Like I said in this thread earlier, I don’t think they’ll play him this year. They’re going to tank too. Playing the somehow-even-worse cardinals though will cost them 2 losses and the overall top pick. 

• Disagree 1

On 9/4/2023 at 12:52 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Sam Darnold, Matt Barkley, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Rob Johnson 🤢 Carson Palmer being the only outlier and he wasn’t anything special either. 

I’m not sold. Have you watched any USC games lately? Guy has a literal brick wall in front of him every time he drops back. I’m not saying he won’t be great, but people were spouting this same crap about Trey Lance who’s now a backup on his 2nd team in 2 years. Almost every year there’s a massively talented freak QB like this (Mariota, Jamarcus Russell, Kyler Murray, Lance, Jake Locker, Jeff George? etc) who’s supposed to take the league by storm and be the next so & so, but they almost never pan out. For every Mahomes or Allen there’s a Marcus Mariota, Jake Locker, Kyle Murray, Jeff George, Vince Young, etc. 

Name the last great Texas Tech QB before Mahomes? Wyoming before Allen? Miami (OH) before Ben? That’s the stupidest argument in football. There is ZERO correlation.

If you don’t think that he will be good, fine. You’ll be wrong, but if you have football reasons, fine. If your reason is because he went to USC that’s stupid. If it’s because other highly-touted guys failed, that’s also stupid. There is zero correlation. He has ELITE traits and plays the exact style that the best players play currently. 

On 9/4/2023 at 8:57 PM, QLBillsFan said:

Fantastic player.I’d like to see him work on his sportsmanship and humility. He’s from the Deion school of class. Had F Utah and his nails.. meanwhile they butt kicked his team twice. But he’s young hopefully will mature. Doesn’t look like Deion will anytime soon. 

Lol, in 2023 do people really care about that? I care if they win, not if they graciously hand the ball to the official. Deion took a trash program, went on the road, and knocked off the National Runner-up. That’s what I want in a coach. I want winners. I don’t care how they act when they win. I also don’t care if NBA players have a dress code when they show up to a game.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

Apparently, Williams is threatening to stay in school if the Cardinals tank for him...unlike some guys in the past, that is a threat with some teeth behind it...thanks to NIL, Williams could make more than $5 million by staying another year at USC...    

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Name the last great Texas Tech QB before Mahomes? Wyoming before Allen? Miami (OH) before Ben. That’s the stupidest argument in football. There is ZERO correlation. If you don’t think that he will be good, fine. You’ll be wrong, but if you have football reasons, fine. If your reason is because he went to USC that’s stupid. If it’s because other highly-touted guys failed, that’s also stupid. There is zero correlation. He has ELITE traits and plays the exact style that the best players play currently. 

Lol, I’m 2023 so people really care about that? I care if they win, not if they graciously hand the ball to the official. Deion took a trash program, went on the road, and knocked off the National runner-up. That’s what I want in a coach. I want winners. I don’t care how they win. 

Every big time USC prospect busts. Name the amount of major Wyoming prospects ? USC has a QB drafted every few years and they all suck. Wyoming or TT don’t attract near the amount of 4 & 5 star recruits. 

Just now, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Every big time USC prospect busts. Name the amount of major Wyoming prospects ? USC has a QB drafted every few years and they all suck. Wyoming or TT don’t attract near the amount of 4 & 5 star recruits. 

Lol, one has nothing to do with the other!!! The PLAYER needs to be evaluated not PLAYERS THAT USED TO PLAY THERE!! This is so simple!! It remains the dumbest argument in sports. Don’t be so simple. 

I’m not going to appease your ridiculous argument but what kind of success have Lincoln Riley developed QBs had? That’s INFINITELY more relevant in this discussion. 

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Apparently, Williams is threatening to stay in school if the Cardinals tank for him...unlike some guys in the past, that is a threat with some teeth behind it...thanks to NIL, Williams could make more than $5 million by staying another year at USC...    

If that happened, he’d be, without question, the greatest college player ever. He already has a decent shot at a 2nd Heisman. 

1 hour ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Cardinals are getting the top pick but my point was that the rams are tanking too and are AWFUL. MCvay mentioned today kupp might go on IR. Like I said in this thread earlier, I don’t think they’ll play him this year. They’re going to tank too. Playing the somehow-even-worse cardinals though will cost them 2 losses and the overall top pick. 

The Rams will win more than 2 games.

22 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Look at their schedule. 4 wins is their ceiling in my opinion both based on rosters and also them tanking. Besides the 2 cardinals games, the only other games they could win might be against the colts and commanders. 

Disagree. I think 5 is their absolute floor.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, one has nothing to do with the other!!! The PLAYER needs to be evaluated not PLAYERS THAT USED TO PLAY THERE!! This is so simple!! It remains the dumbest argument in sports. Don’t be so simple. 

I’m not going to appease your ridiculous argument but what kind of success have Lincoln Riley developed QBs had? That’s INFINITELY more relevant in this discussion. 

If that happened, he’d be, without question, the greatest college player ever. He already has a decent shot at a 2nd Heisman. 

The Heisman means nothing. College football and the NFL are 2 different things. Whether it’s luck or not ,usc  QBs have not panned out well. Chalk it up to whatever reasoning you’d like. Yes, I know it’s on the individual, but you can say the same thing about a football player from Texas and a football player from Alaska having an equal shot when it just isn’t true. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree. I think 5 is their absolute floor.

I think you are overrating the Rams desire and ability to win.  I expect them to roll out Stetson Bennett by week 8 and they are already making noise about Cooper Kupp not being fully recovered from his injury. I expect him to end up on IR. And check out the number of UDFAs on that roster…

19 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think you are overrating the Rams desire and ability to win.  I expect them to roll out Stetson Bennett by week 8 and they are already making noise about Cooper Kupp not being fully recovered from his injury. I expect him to end up on IR. And check out the number of UDFAs on that roster…

Yea they'd have to actually really try to tank. I said that right at the start. Is McVay in on a total tank? I mean he was talking retirement two years ago because he'd climbed the mountain. Maybe he is and they are gonna try really hard to lose. Just not sure I see that tbh.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea they'd have to actually really try to tank. I said that right at the start. Is McVay in on a total tank? I mean he was talking retirement two years ago because he'd climbed the mountain. Maybe he is and they are gonna try really hard to lose. Just not sure I see that tbh.

McVay has zero interest in sticking around for a bottoming-out.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

I mean, he's what, 37 years old?     

Yea but I just do not get the sense he is a "see the big picture guy." He does not need to coach. He could walk tomorrow and land any network TV job he wanted covering the NFL. 

Maybe I will be proven wrong and he is happy to bottom out draft Williams and try and win but nothing about his personality suggests that to me tbh. The Rams would have to TRY to lose to even get close to the #1 pick. I just do not see them doing that.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea but I just do not get the sense he is a "see the big picture guy." He does not need to coach. He could walk tomorrow and land any network TV job he wanted covering the NFL. 

Maybe I will be proven wrong and he is happy to bottom out draft Williams and try and win but nothing about his personality suggests that to me tbh. The Rams would have to TRY to lose to even get close to the #1 pick. I just do not see them doing that.

I'll grant you that it will be difficult for them to outcompete Houston and Arizona for that first pick, but I think their roster is every bit as bad as those teams', especially if they decide to play Bennett at QB and sit Kupp.   

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The Heisman means nothing. College football and the NFL are 2 different things. Whether it’s luck or not ,usc  QBs have not panned out well. Chalk it up to whatever reasoning you’d like. Yes, I know it’s on the individual, but you can say the same thing about a football player from Texas and a football player from Alaska having an equal shot when it just isn’t true. 

I don’t know who said that college and the NFL were the same? Equal shot? What does that even mean? It’s COMPLETELY irrelevant how previous players played at a school. You ONLY evaluate the player. The history of the school at a position means nothing. That holds especially true with a different coaching staff.

In terms of the Heisman, it wasn’t a great indicator of pro value for years. Guys like Jason White and Eric Crouch won. Over the last 16 years, 15 Heisman winners have been 1st rounders (Derrick Henry as the exception). 7 of them went first overall (Williams will be 8). The Heisman is a decent indicator of draft position in 2023. That’s how NFL teams view these guys.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea, that rams roster is no worse than any of the bills rosters that landed picks much closer to 10th than 1st. 

stafford would be among the best qbs we had. Akers has something to prove. I think kupp comes back because he’s already 30 and wants to cement a legacy. Aaron Donald is going to play. 

id agree that they could easily sweep the cards, colts, commanders… Green Bay could be awful. That’s 5 wins without a single upset. 

2 wins out of the browns/giants/seahawks(x2) is already a 7 win season without going wild.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know who said that college and the NFL were the same? Equal shot? What does that even mean? It’s COMPLETELY irrelevant how previous players played at a school. You ONLY evaluate the player. The history of the school at a position means nothing. That holds especially true with a different coaching staff.

In terms of the Heisman, it wasn’t a great indicator of pro value for years. Guys like Jason White and Eric Crouch won. Over the last 16 years, 15 Heisman winners have been 1st rounders (Derrick Henry as the exception). 7 of them went first overall (Williams will be 8). The Heisman is a decent indicator of draft position in 2023. That’s how NFL teams view these guys.

same system I’d venture hearing echoes of past guys in the scouting report isn’t unreasonable. That doesn’t mean they are solidly clones but there’s a good chance there are similar traits sought by the coach to capitalize similar schemes. 

across various regimes that gets more distant but there’s possibly some residue through the years. Regional culture (both campus and recruiting pool), player development (both campus and recruiting pool)

I think it’s dumb to say I’d never draft a Texas lineman because of mike Williams but over the course of multiple regimes I wouldn’t be shocked to find out a couple consistent boosters liked a certain style of lineman and their techniques of appealing to those lineman might have drawn in the wrong personality type for long term success (ie physically dominating but a weak work ethic might like their sales pitch)

I am blown away on how talented Caleb Williams is. He is one of the best College QBs I have QBs I’ve seen. I do see the comparisons to Mahomes but I think he is a way better athlete, more creative and overall a better QB. Who ever has the #1 pick overall next year is going to get one hell of a QB. It’s going to be fun to see him in the NFL, hopefully he stays out of the AFC. 

33 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Yea, that rams roster is no worse than any of the bills rosters that landed picks much closer to 10th than 1st. 

stafford would be among the best qbs we had. Akers has something to prove. I think kupp comes back because he’s already 30 and wants to cement a legacy. Aaron Donald is going to play. 

id agree that they could easily sweep the cards, colts, commanders… Green Bay could be awful. That’s 5 wins without a single upset. 

2 wins out of the browns/giants/seahawks(x2) is already a 7 win season without going wild.

We'll see.  I think the Rams are putrid and they will demonstrate that this weekend in Seattle.  And I actually think Washington and GB will be pretty good this year.  I certainly don't think the Rams will be favored over either.

On 9/4/2023 at 8:11 AM, Process said:

The Cardinals organization is pretty much a joke but that was an amazing trade they made with Houston last draft. They have a legitimate chance at getting both Williams and Harrison Jr. 

On the flip side, that was an insanely stupid trade by Houston.  Caserio might be the worst GM in the league now that Gettleman has been forcibly retired.  

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

We'll see.  I think the Rams are putrid and they will demonstrate that this weekend in Seattle.  And I actually think Washington and GB will be pretty good this year.  I certainly don't think the Rams will be favored over either.

On the flip side, that was an insanely stupid trade by Houston.  Caserio might be the worst GM in the league now that Gettleman has been forcibly retired.  

All things I’ve been saying in this thread as well. The rams will only be favored in the 2 cards games, that’s it. Maybe the colts game too. WSH and GB will be favored and rightfully so after Kupp is shut down and stafford too. Agree on Houston. When that trade happened I thought it was a misprint then and it’s even worse now. Even if Houston gets pick #3, Arizona will still get Caleb and Harrison jr because whoever is at 2 presumably will need a qb and will take maye. What a move Arizona pulled off. 

6 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

All things I’ve been saying in this thread as well. The rams will only be favored in the 2 cards games, that’s it. Maybe the colts game too. WSH and GB will be favored and rightfully so after Kupp is shut down and stafford too. Agree on Houston. When that trade happened I thought it was a misprint then and it’s even worse now. Even if Houston gets pick #3, Arizona will still get Caleb and Harrison jr because whoever is at 2 presumably will need a qb and will take maye. What a move Arizona pulled off. 

AZ might be really bad this year, but if they can get Williams and Harrison, they could turn it around in a hurry, especially if Paris Johnson turns out to be a solid LT and they hit on a couple of defenders in the draft.    

And yes, I think there is every indication that the Lambs will shut down both Kupp and Stafford this year, at which point you can expect Aaron Donald to take a few "veteran rest" weeks, or maybe even get traded...

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

same system I’d venture hearing echoes of past guys in the scouting report isn’t unreasonable. That doesn’t mean they are solidly clones but there’s a good chance there are similar traits sought by the coach to capitalize similar schemes. 

across various regimes that gets more distant but there’s possibly some residue through the years. Regional culture (both campus and recruiting pool), player development (both campus and recruiting pool)

I think it’s dumb to say I’d never draft a Texas lineman because of mike Williams but over the course of multiple regimes I wouldn’t be shocked to find out a couple consistent boosters liked a certain style of lineman and their techniques of appealing to those lineman might have drawn in the wrong personality type for long term success (ie physically dominating but a weak work ethic might like their sales pitch)

The same system is potentially relevant (or at least somewhat). In this case it would be a bonus playing for Reilly. The rest of it seems like a stretch. That’s at least true for the teams with a national recruiting base. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.