Benford - Was he being showcased? (Opinion, not a rumor)

Alphadawg7

Let me clarify...I am not advocating to trade him or even saying he is for sure being traded.  Unlike many others, I am not concerned with the 3 way log jam at CB2 because I love having the depth, especially given the injury issues we have had at times at CB and the number of high level WR groupings we will face both in regular season and playoffs.  IMO, you can never have too many good CB's.  

BUT...we have a roster that isn't easy to make and we may need to make some tough decisions in places on players at various positions.  Plus Beane loves and needs more draft capital given our tight cap for the foreseeable future.  So, I don't think anyone would be surprised if Beane traded a player or two either for both roster space and gaining more draft capital.  

So why do I think Benford might be one of those players...2 main reasons:  

1. Beane already knows he has trade value and teams are interested given he was getting calls last year for Benford and he has only increased his value since then.  
  2. His surprising start - In a 3 man battle at CB2, Dane was the clear leader in the race, and in the game where most starters played, Benford gets the start.

So this begs the question why did Benford start?

1.  Was it because he passed Dane?  Doubt it, Dane has not only been leading in the battle, but done nothing to lose his spot either as he has played well all camp and preseason and there is nothing Benford really does that Dane can't do.  
  2. Was it to just give him his chance to "start" in the 3 CB race?  Doubt it because they did not do that with Elam who didn't start any preseason game despite being in the race to "start".  So there isn't a pattern of consistency there if they were all going to equally get that chance.
  3. OR...Was it to showcase Benford, potentially increase his value as showing him as a possible starter and see what kind of trade interest it might create?  

Well, for me personally, I think it may be to showcase him to see what kind of trade interest and potential compensation it might create if he showed well, which he did.  This also tracks with what Beane has done in the past as well and its a common tactic when teams are considering a trade during preseason as well.  So while others are focusing on what Benfords start meant for Elam, I think it may be less about Elam and more about Benford and seeing what kind of trade value a good showing might drum up.  

I don't think Beane would "dump" any of the CB's for cheap if teams call, so I don't think he is say aggressively shopping him or trying to dump him.  But I think Benford starting may have been to try and increase his value for any calls he may get or already have gotten on one of our CB's.  To me I think it shows that maybe Benford of the 3 is the one he would be more willing to trade for the right offer.  And teams are always lookin for CB's, so I would suspect Beane will get some calls this year on one of them, if he hasn't already.

So while I like Benford and personally prefer to keep all 4 CB's (Tre, Dane, Elam, Benford) for depth, this feels like he was just showcased to maybe gauge trade interest and value.  And if Beane gets an offer he feels is good value for him, I think it might result in Benford being on the move.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 9
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 6

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let me clarify...I am not advocating to trade him or even saying he is for sure being traded.  Unlike many others, I am not concerned with the 3 way log jam at CB2 because I love having the depth, especially given the injury issues we have had at times at CB and the number of high level WR groupings we will face both in regular season and playoffs.  IMO, you can never have too many good CB's.  

BUT...we have a roster that isn't easy to make and we may need to make some tough decisions in places on players at various positions.  Plus Beane loves and needs more draft capital given our tight cap for the foreseeable future.  So, I don't think anyone would be surprised if Beane traded a player or two either for both roster space and gaining more draft capital.  

So why do I think Benford might be one of those players...2 main reasons:  

1. Beane already knows he has trade value and teams are interested given he was getting calls last year for Benford and he has only increased his value since then.  
  2. His surprising start - In a 3 man battle at CB2, Dane was the clear leader in the race, and in the game where most starters played, Benford gets the start.

So this begs the question why did Benford start?

1.  Was it because he passed Dane?  Doubt it, Dane has not only been leading in the battle, but done nothing to lose his spot either as he has played well all camp and preseason and there is nothing Benford really does that Dane can't do.  
  2. Was it to just give him his chance to "start" in the 3 CB race?  Doubt it because they did not do that with Elam who didn't start any preseason game despite being in the race to "start".  So there isn't a pattern of consistency there if they were all going to equally get that chance.
  3. OR...Was it to showcase Benford, potentially increase his value as showing him as a possible starter and see what kind of trade interest it might create?  

Well, for me personally, I think it may be to showcase him to see what kind of trade interest and potential compensation it might create if he showed well, which he did.  This also tracks with what Beane has done in the past as well and its a common tactic when teams are considering a trade during preseason as well.  So while others are focusing on what Benfords start meant for Elam, I think it may be less about Elam and more about Benford and seeing what kind of trade value a good showing might drum up.  

I don't think Beane would "dump" any of the CB's for cheap if teams call, so I don't think he is say aggressively shopping him or trying to dump him.  But I think Benford starting may have been to try and increase his value for any calls he may get or already have gotten on one of our CB's.  To me I think it shows that maybe Benford of the 3 is the one he would be more willing to trade for the right offer.  And teams are always lookin for CB's, so I would suspect Beane will get some calls this year on one of them, if he hasn't already.

So while I like Benford and personally prefer to keep all 4 CB's (Tre, Dane, Elam, Benford) for depth, this feels like he was just showcased to maybe gauge trade interest and value.  And if Beane gets an offer he feels is good value for him, I think it might result in Benford being on the move.  

This just ain’t happening in this league you can never ever have too many good corners 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I think if a trade is made there it is Elam in a player-for-player trade. He would have better value. I could see Beane targeting a recent first round OT or ML that someone else feels has underperformed their draft status and swinging that trade.

I think Benford is the week 1 starter across from Tre.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I'm not going to say this makes zero sense but it is as close to zero as you could possibly get.

1) Teams need more quality CB's with injuries and the plethora of WRs to cover on most plays now.

2) He is on a cheap rookie deal

3) He fits their scheme well

4) No team is going to give up much for him in a trade...you aren't getting a 1st round pick for him or anything close to that.

After typing that out...I changed my mind...this does absolutely make ZERO sense.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Saw a Ravens guy on Twitter pushing for an Elam to the Ravens trade for a LB.

The Elam family has ties to the Ravens. Seems to think they would want Elam.

And he is a much more obvious scheme fit there than he has ever been here. 

• Agree 2

Unless someone is dumb enough to trade us a starting caliber OT for one of our depth CB’s, this idea of trading Benford, Jackson or Elam is a hard pass for me. 

Even from a future thinking roster building perspective, Jackson is on a one year deal, and we have quite enough one year on their deal guys to worry about after this season, without adding more by moving cheap contracts on multi-year deals that can step in for them if we look to fill other positions in the off-season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I also think it is possible that BBB was trying to showcase him but only in case there is a team interested in a trade involving another player (MLB).

I think CB is a position that we could get some good player in return if we were going to trade for someone. 

I also think we are in no rush to trade any of our CBs as we have the hardes schedule vs WRs this year (I read that somewere). 

7 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I think if a trade is made there it is Elam in a player-for-player trade. He would have better value. I could see Beane targeting a recent first round OT or ML that someone else feels has underperformed their draft status and swinging that trade.

I think Benford is the week 1 starter across from Tre.

Trading Elam comes with a high salary cap implication, I think we are on the hook with $11M+ of dead money. So maybe if they are close BBB choose to trade Benford, also because his contract will expired sooner. 

My two cents...

I think this started as a 3-person race back in training camp.  All were going to get a fair chance to win the job.  My guess is that all three were going to get a chance to start a preseason game.  But as practices went along, it became pretty clear to coaches that Kaiir Elam was lagging way behind, and so Dane Jackson remained a top the depth chart for the Steelers week.

This was Christian Benford's big chance, and he ended up playing really good.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's CB2 against the Jets, and would be shocked if he was traded.

Also, the idea that Elam may be cut is ridiculous.  It's certainly disappointing that he hasn't taken the job (now coming up in Year 2).  But at worst, he's still our #4 outside cornerback.  And the next guy isn't even close.  

I appreciate the thread and the conversation. However, I highly doubt Benford will be traded and that he was being show cased as a starter. It's really not how the Bills operate. 

Benford has clearly outplayed Elam. The coaches have much more confidence in Benford. I'd be very surprised by if he's not the starter vs the Jets. 

Lastly, I don't think he's trade value is the greatest. Sure teams would be interested but they would use his latter round draft pick as a negative. Elam actually may have more trade value as a first  round pick. In the right system, Elam could be good. 

In short, I believe the Bills will carry both CBs. Benford was a great pick and a Elam looking not so great. Perhaps he can develop. I think much of his issues are the Bills system and perhaps a slow learner. He has shown flashes of being very good in man coverage. He seems to have a lot of skill that's not polished. Almost like putting a square peg in a wooden circle. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Antonio said:

Trading Elam comes with a high salary cap implication, I think we are on the hook with $11M+ of dead money. So maybe if they are close BBB choose to trade Benford, also because his contract will expired sooner. 

Benford is a better fit for what the Bills do.

Elam was drafted for his press man abilities. They don’t play press man though. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Seems realistic. Malik Harrison? I have no clue. But an Elam player-for-player w/ picks for balance has to be on the table.

• Like (+1) 1

I see what you're saying, but...

It's very possible that Benford is the second best outside corner on the roster.

If anyone's getting traded, in my mind, it's Kaiir Elam. I'd think he would have value to teams that play more man coverage.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Benford is a better fit for what the Bills do.

Elam was drafted for his press man abilities. They don’t play press man though. 

I really think Benford and Elam both stay. Elam will play when we need to. I think we will have some D packages where Elam will be used.

In any case it might even be better to explor a Tre trade. Not that I want it, but a player to player trade that makes some kind of sens: A starting MLB or RT and with a salary cap savings.

2 minutes ago, Antonio said:

I really think Benford and Elam both stay. Elam will play when we need to. I think we will have some D packages where Elam will be used.

In any case it might even be better to explor a Tre trade. Not that I want it, but a player to player trade that makes some kind of sens: A starting MLB or RT and with a salary cap savings.

I definitely wouldn’t trade Elam unless it’s for a similarly young talented player playing a position of need.

I have zero issues with Elam when he plays. I would start him now.

• Like (+1) 1

in some conspiracy type deal Beane and McDermott showcased Benford and buried Jackson and Elam and coincedently Elam stunk.

The Eagles who need help think the Bills are willing to shop a starter and pay big so they take the trade and boom we get ourselves Lane Johnson at tackle!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Gotta keep all our CBs for teams like the Bengals and Chiefs imo

Not to mention,  how stupid would we feel once we have the inevitable injury or two, then find ourselves short handed at one of the most important positions in the game? 

9 minutes ago, wppete said:

There is no way the Bills trade Benford with such upside and a salary of a 5th rounder. He is way too valuable. They would trade Elam over Benford. 

….and I seriously doubt they trade Elam, either. He needs time to learn the game and how to use his physical skills in more of a zone defense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Benford will start for the Bills. 

Interesting, you’ve previously been in the camp that Dane was leading the race prior to this game.  What has changed that makes you think it’s Benford now instead of Dane?  Was it just his start this week, or has there been other reports or anything prior to the game that makes you think it’s now Benford?

I mean if Benford is the starter the. Obviously his start makes a lot more sense this past week.  It’s just the fact that it seems like Dane had been in that slot heading into the game and had not done anything to lose it that surprised me about Benfords start this week.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I think one should be traded because there are teams who need DBs and our guys have value.   I only mentioned Elam before because he seems to be DB4 and I think would fetch the most value.  

I don’t care who they trade, but they should trade someone.  We need more picks and will have more need of cheap labor as our cap gets tighter 

16 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I appreciate the thread and the conversation. However, I highly doubt Benford will be traded and that he was being show cased as a starter. It's really not how the Bills operate. 

Benford has clearly outplayed Elam. The coaches have much more confidence in Benford. I'd be very surprised by if he's not the starter vs the Jets. 

Lastly, I don't think he's trade value is the greatest. Sure teams would be interested but they would use his latter round draft pick as a negative. Elam actually may have more trade value as a first  round pick. In the right system, Elam could be good. 

In short, I believe the Bills will carry both CBs. Benford was a great pick and a Elam looking not so great. Perhaps he can develop. I think much of his issues are the Bills system and perhaps a slow learner. He has shown flashes of being very good in man coverage. He seems to have a lot of skill that's not polished. Almost like putting a square peg in a wooden circle. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to trade him either.  Just seemed like Dane was the clear leader at CB2 all preseason and had played good throughout camp.  So Benford making a last minute leap frog just seemed a bit unusual given Dane did nothing to lose it.  And Beane has showcased players before in preseason before trading them (as do many GMs), so it made me wonder did he really pass Dane, or were they seeing if he might garner some trade value if they decide to move one.

But my personal stance has been keep all of them and that’s what I hope happens.  

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Uncle Matt was an all-time bust for Ozzie Newsome, don’t think they want any more Elams. Ravens fans sure don’t anyways.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Interesting, you’ve previously been in the camp that Dane was leading the race prior to this game.  What has changed that makes you think it’s Benford now instead of Dane?  Was it just his start this week, or has there been other reports or anything prior to the game that makes you think it’s now Benford?

I mean if Benford is the starter the. Obviously his start makes a lot more sense this past week.  It’s just the fact that it seems like Dane had been in that slot heading into the game and had not done anything to lose it that surprised me about Benfords start this week.

There have been multiple reports that Benford has just got better and better as camp has gone on and then they went with Benford on Saturday. 

To me it at the very least suggests the three man race is down to two and Benford and Dane were nip and tuck. But if I had to have a bet right now, I'd put it on Benford playing the most snaps other than Tre week 1... the "start" matters less to me and I suspect Benford and Dane will both play some (similar to the way Dane and Kaiir both played in the two playoff games). But I think Benford is favourite to win the snap count. 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Wyatt Teller.

He was a 5th rounder.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.