The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

15 minutes ago, Heitz said:

In this game he's either close to making the tackle 7 yards down the field, or running beside the play as it comes to a conclusion.  Happened three times on that last drive. 🤷‍♂️ :beer: 

Thats how it happened too, late to the play and someone fell into his leg.

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We're not sniffing that ridiculous contract.  Just roll with Bernard & Williams and wait for Matt to return. 

We aren’t rolling with Williams.  I’d be all for it if Dorian were the starter.  But he’s just sitting the bench and watching Dobson.   I’m just not a fan of Dobson. I feel like he’s going to get picked on by the smart teams on 3rd down.  I felt the same way about TB43- hopefully I’ll be wrong about this as well.  

If we could get an upgrade for a 5th-7th, we should make it happen.  4th, I’m ok with as long as he’s a sizable upgrade over Dobson.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It was a joke. The guy is one of the most overrated players in the league 

I know it was a joke. I just get worked up remembering how often I had to defend my opinion over the years of how over rated he was.  At least McB had the sense to move on and hopefully they do the same with Gabe.  Milano is and always was our most valuable LB.  You can even argue our best defensive player.

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I know it was a joke. I just get worked up remembering how often I had to defend my opinion over the years of how over rated he was.  At least McB had the sense to move on and hopefully they do the same with Gabe.  Milano is and always was our most valuable LB.  You can even argue our best defensive player.

You could argue Milano is the best linebacker in the league if he wasn't constantly injured. 

• Agree 2

He wasn’t worth what the bears paid, but anyone thinks the current linebacker situation is an upgrade is sorely mistaken. 

especially with Milano entirely predictably  having his third season significantly effected by injury. 

With Milano out, Edmunds and Bernard would be a whole lot better than Bernard and Williams/Dodson/Poyer… 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He wasn’t worth what the bears paid, but anyone thinks the current linebacker situation is an upgrade is sorely mistaken. 

especially with Milano entirely predictably  having his third season significantly effected by injury. 

With Milano out, Edmunds and Bernard would be a whole lot better than Bernard and Williams/Dodson/Poyer… 

Not for the requisite contract required he’s not. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

How exactly is a broken leg predictable?

Edited by yall
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It's unfair to compare our current linebacker situation now, with Milano injured, to what we had with Edmunds and Milano playing.

Bernard has made more splash plays in half a season than Edmunds makes in multiple full seasons. For their respective salaries, I'll take Bernard all day and twice on Sundays.

BTW:

Individually, Bernard has had a standout performance in his first eight games, racking up two sacks, two interceptions and three fumble recoveries. No other player in football has multiple sacks, interceptions and fumble recoveries.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/five-bills-players-making-an-impact-kincaid-diggs-floyd-bernard-cook

When was the last time Edmunds did anything close to that? 

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

33 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

It's unfair to compare our current linebacker situation now, with Milano injured, to what we had with Edmunds and Milano playing.

Bernard has made more splash plays in half a season than Edmunds makes in multiple full seasons. For their respective salaries, I'll take Bernard all day and twice on Sundays.

BTW:

Individually, Bernard has had a standout performance in his first eight games, racking up two sacks, two interceptions and three fumble recoveries. No other player in football has multiple sacks, interceptions and fumble recoveries.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/five-bills-players-making-an-impact-kincaid-diggs-floyd-bernard-cook

we know he wasn’t a ball hawk. … 

the patriots game was the first time in a long time I’ve seen an offense repeatedly attack the middle of this defensive scheme with success. 

I think there is a real big problem in the middle of the defense. 

49 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Good point. We should have paid Edmunds $18M just in case one of the starters gets injured.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Bears fans are starting to catch on

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 1.32.10 PM.png

So predictable, I called it in the offseason. I thought it would take about 4-6 games though, but they were already on him by game 2. Whoever pushed for him on the Bears pro personnel department should be fired.

59 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

we know he wasn’t a ball hawk. … 

the patriots game was the first time in a long time I’ve seen an offense repeatedly attack the middle of this defensive scheme with success. 

I think there is a real big problem in the middle of the defense. 

I predicted this because that is EXACTLY what Belichek did to us (with great success) when Tremaine was a rookie.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Who said that anywhere? 

The person who replaced Edmunds is Bernard. 

Bernard has been a significant upgrade.

However, you need something to cling to when it comes to Edmunds. So you’re saying that because Milano, who plays a different position from Edmunds, got injured … we’re in a worse spot at linebacker than if we signed Edmunds??

No, that’s absurd. Just deal with the fact that Edmunds has been below average for the Bears and the guy who replaced him is better. End of conversation.

No coulda woulda shoulda for different guys who got injured, who don’t play the same position as Edmunds. That’s just trying to salvage hope in Edmunds when the fact remains, we’re all glad his gone.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Would be hilarious if Bills traded a 3rd rounder to Bears to bring him back.  There’s surprisingly only $5m in dead cap to Bears if they traded him.  Looks like there’d be 3 years $45 left on his contract and Bills would only pay half of his $2.5m salary this year.  So essentially 3.5 years $46m.  Kinda like what houston astros did with verlander.  

45 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

BTW:

Of course it’s fair. The team lost a player to free agency, elevated a back up on the roster to start and didn’t address lack of depth. It’s a major problem. Those two linebacker spots are pretty important in the scheme. 

Bernard is a ball hawk, but he’s been attacked a little more the past couple weeks and that seam has been attacked a bunch more too, exposing Taron a bit too. 

30 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The person who replaced Edmunds is Bernard. 

Bernard has been a significant upgrade.

However, you need something to cling to when it comes to Edmunds. So you’re saying that because Milano, who plays a different position from Edmunds, got injured … we’re in a worse spot at linebacker than if we signed Edmunds??

No, that’s absurd. Just deal with the fact that Edmunds has been below average for the Bears and the guy who replaced him is better. End of conversation.

No coulda woulda shoulda for different guys who got injured, who don’t play the same position as Edmunds. That’s just trying to salvage hope in Edmunds when the fact remains, we’re all glad his gone.

be glad all you want. Several things can be true.

1) despite Edmunds lack of instincts, his size and athleticism made him an effective starter in the middle of an excellent defensive year after year 

2) he wasn’t worth the deal he got from Chicago based on his shortcomings and he rarely created turnovers or factored into the pass rush 

3) most people who zeroed in on blaming him for long running plays have no clue how a gap defense works 

4) he still put enough good work on film to get paid a lot of money and multiple pro bowl nods. 
5) his availability has been very high

6) the organization did little to backfill a pretty critical area of the defense and one injury to milano (3rd season ending injury) later the defense is hosed 

7) he never really lived up to his draft pick

8- several good players considered him a good player.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Would be hilarious if Bills traded a 3rd rounder to Bears to bring him back.  There’s surprisingly only $5m in dead cap to Bears if they traded him.  Looks like there’d be 3 years $45 left on his contract and Bills would only pay half of his $2.5m salary this year.  So essentially 3.5 years $46m.  Kinda like what houston astros did with verlander.  

Actually a roster bonus of $5m too, so 3 years remaining at $50m plus only $1.25m of this years salary.  And Bears would take $7.5m dead cap hit.  Bears have $10m in cap space.  I think most would’ve brought back Edmunds at $50m over 4 years with only 2024 salary guaranteed.  He’s been in the defense long enough to play Milano’s position.  

31 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

So predictable, I called it in the offseason. I thought it would take about 4-6 games though, but they were already on him by game 2. Whoever pushed for him on the Bears pro personnel department should be fired.

In fairness, there were a lot of people who loved Edmunds in Bills land.

they have disappeared and walk among us in shadow now. But we will never forget.

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

1) despite Edmunds lack of instincts, his athleticism made him an effective starter in the middle of an excellent defensive year after year 

2) he wasn’t worth the deal he got from Chicago based on his shortcomings and he rarely created turnovers or factored into the pass rush 

3) most people who zeroed in on blaming him for long running plays have no clue how a gap defense works 

4) he still put enough good work on film to get paid a lot of money and multiple pro bowl nods. 

6) the organization did little to backfill a pretty critical area of the defense and one injury to milano (3rd season ending injury) later the defense is hosed 

They spent two day two picks on linebackers in the last 2 years?

How is that “little?” 

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

In fairness, there were a lot of people who loved Edmunds in Bills land.

they have disappeared and walk among us in shadow now. But we will never forget.

They spent two day two picks on linebackers in the last 2 years?

How is that “little?” 

Oh good … the safety sized guy who was benched or the one named after a ghost, because of what happens on game day? 

Is that the complication of big moves to address the situation 

??

Bernard gets dinged like he was all preseason and the offense will need to put up 50 ppg 

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

1) despite Edmunds lack of instincts, his size and athleticism made him an effective starter in the middle of an excellent defensive year after year 

7) he never really lived up to his draft pick

8- several good players considered him a good player.

1.  You forgot to mention Matt Milano helped make him an effective starter by helping cover for his shortcomings.  Bernard allowed Milano to become even more effective until the injury.

2.  Yep

3.  Most people who absolve Edmunds on long running plays ignore the fact that Edmunds dogs it regularly when the play is not right in front of him and refuses to physically take on blocks, preferring to backpedal relentlessly.

4.  He put enough good work on film in a contract year for a Chicago team desperate to make a splash after letting a quality LB walk.  Too many outsiders watch a couple tackle highlights, look at his physical size, how he called the defense and don't delve into how he actually plays the game.  Suckers.

5.  Yes, because he abhors physical contact unless he is the only one who can make the tackle.

6.  Bernard is a definite upgrade but the FO could have done more.  The defense is getting hosed by losing Tre, Daquan, Oliver(short term) and Milano.  Not Edmunds.  It would be even worse if we had kept slacker Edmunds.

7.  Yep

8.  What does that mean and who really cares?  Making a couple tackles and calling the defense earn him some appreciation but good is not great.

Pick a Bears game from this season, type in "Bears vs ________ highlights" and watch the 10 to 15 minute video.  Focus exclusively on him and watch how much he dogs it out of his total plays when he should be fighting through blocks, closing to the ball and assisting on tackles.  Can't be any more obvious than that.  

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.