The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

15 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Edmunds was an above average LB for us……stop making him out to be a draft bust. We went thru the same thing with London Fletcher and Paul Posluszny. Both were above average LB’s that fans for whatever reason felt they were one of the worst in the league at their position.

You call yourself "streetkings" but the street would have 1 thing to say about Edmunds:

He is juiceless..........and therefore useless.

The more measured take is that he's a good player in a HOF player's body.........playing a devalued position that is generally easy to fill with average or better talent............and he played in a defense that funneled playmaking opportunities to him but he just couldn't make them.     

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh sure, money was and always is the biggest factor. But there are nuances and variables in every negotiation, and I think Smith's documented stiff-arming of the Bears during those negotiations was a pretty good indicator of his chances of re-signing no matter what offer they made.

You dont refer the team to... *checks notes*... non-certified agent and Instagram mysterioso Saint Omni.. if you are serious about ever returning.

Agree the rest of the way on Tremaine and the Bears FO. :thumbsup:

He described his negotiations with the Bears as toxic it is true but maybe that's not on him. What the Bears needed to do was make nice with the best off the ball LB in the game. Compare their behaviour with the way the Raven's handled Lamar.
In addition to trying to turn Justin Fields into a pocket passer they traded the pick they got from the Ravens (#53) for the icon of underperforming wideouts who, predictably, continues to underperform . They really just can't get it right.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he had seasons where his play dipped just below average. Seasons where it wad above. I wouldn't fight tooth and nail against someone saying he was average. To me overall I'd grade him out just a tick above. In a lot of ways that is disappointing and I was against paying him. But some of the hyperbole is over the top.

It's over the top for sure but it goes both ways.

The excuses made for Edmunds were so easily discredited that people like Shill Capaccio eventually turned to "you just don't know what you are watching" as an excuse.

It was literally the opposite.

The people who made those excuses literally did not understand what THEY were watching because they didn't understand how important instinct is at the MLB position.    

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

It's over the top for sure but it goes both ways.

The excuses made for Edmunds were so easily discredited that people like Shill Capaccio eventually turned to "you just don't know what you are watching" as an excuse.

It was literally the opposite.

The people who made those excuses literally did not understand what THEY were watching because they didn't understand how important instinct is at the MLB position.    

For sure it went both ways. I have said that repeatedly. The excuse makers are as bad as the "he sucks" guys. The truth was always in the middle. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

It's because he wasn't all pro and this board can't stand any avg player. 

I would say that the board can't stand a player who doesn't work hard/effectively on the field and make plays to the best of his abilities.

That's why we loved Freddy Jackson and Ryan Fitzpatrick, just to name two.

Edmunds makes himself average.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

He described his negotiations with the Bears as toxic it is true but maybe that's not on him. What the Bears needed to do was make nice with the best off the ball LB in the game. Compare their behaviour with the way the Raven's handled Lamar.
In addition to trying to turn Justin Fields into a pocket passer they traded the pick they got from the Ravens (#53) for the icon of underperforming wideouts who, predictably, continues to underperform . They really just can't get it right.

To think.........the Chiefs got a comp pick for losing Poles.

He's been a terrible GM.

Had he hit on his HC hire and the QB pick he might have survived this because that's basically how Beane survived some terrible pro personnel work and cap mismanagement early in his career..........but Poles likely will not.    

The Bears ownership is a patient bunch but the team/staff they have put together are a sh!t show.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

Slightly Above average at best, who is now getting a major payday-good for him, but still doesn’t diminish obvious weaknesses.  

Only above average in physical stature and messurables.  Never above average in play.  If you could have areas on field that could have pylons pop up to heights of 6'5" randomly on the playing field that pylon will make the same number of plays Edmunds produced.  Tremaine may be a great guy, seems a bit low key, but his effort in actual playing style is very below average, irregardless of the perception that his play is what kept plays crossing his path.  He's just intimidating to qbs worried he'd knock down passes near him due to his size.

Classic looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.  Except I think even Jane would outplay Edmunds if she has just a touch of athletic ability. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I wish that I was as bad as Edmunds so I could get his contract. These NFL guys need to be hiring the scouts on this board since everyone knows how bad Edmunds is and it could have saved them some $. Those players, coaches, and scouts that voted him one of the top LB's must be pretty dumb too. Have they ever watched football. Maybe someone on this thread can give them a lesson in playing MLB in the NFL.

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

These NFL guys need to be hiring the scouts on this board since everyone knows how bad Edmunds is and it could have saved them some $.

While you are being sarcastic, I am guessing some people in the Bears organization wish they had actually done this. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I wish that I was as bad as Edmunds so I could get his contract. These NFL guys need to be hiring the scouts on this board since everyone knows how bad Edmunds is and it could have saved them some $. Those players, coaches, and scouts that voted him one of the top LB's must be pretty dumb too. Have they ever watched football. Maybe someone on this thread can give them a lesson in playing MLB in the NFL.

Then, pack on 200more lbs of muscle grow 6" and run head long into walls of men. apparently being large and ineffective gets you paid in the NFL. 

55 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Saying to your fan base “we just went out and grabbed a pro bowl talent at MLB” goes along way in calming the masses.  Now many may be saying he isn’t that great but the casual fans will see Pro Bowl and wet themselves. 

4 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Saying to your fan base “we just went out and grabbed a pro bowl talent at MLB” goes along way in calming the masses.  Now many may be saying he isn’t that great but the casual fans will see Pro Bowl and wet themselves. 

Now that I think about it the "predator" reference for Tremaine fits not because he's a hunter but because I just remembered that one of the traits the Predator had in the movie was his invisibility.  That fits Tremaine much more than his Savage handle in his social media.  

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

True. Most of this board would be celebrating if we signed Edmunds to that contract. But since we didn't of course it has to be he sucks.

It such a weird place sometimes. If you complain that Spencer Brown, Gabe Davis, or whoever is not good enough your a hater and need to find another team. You say that Edmunds is a good player and you are clueless. Ed Oliver was terrible when people thought he would not be resigned, he comes back and now he is amazing. McD takes over as DC and we are so much better than our top 5 D from last year that started off the year with a better 3 game performance. 

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, ngbills said:

True. Most of this board would be celebrating if we signed Edmunds to that contract. But since we didn't of course it has to be he sucks.

It such a weird place sometimes. If you complain that Spencer Brown, Gabe Davis, or whoever is not good enough your a hater and need to find another team. You say that Edmunds is a good player and you are clueless. Ed Oliver was terrible when people thought he would not be resigned, he comes back and now he is amazing. McD takes over as DC and we are so much better than our top 5 D from last year that started off the year with a better 3 game performance. 

Can’t speak for others, but I would’ve been pissed. In fact, I said earlier that offseason before the signing that if Beane re-signs Edmunds for a dollar more than Milano, I’d lose faith in him as a GM. I thought the direction they took on Edmunds would be very telling and was happy they let him walk. I wanted more production from that position. On the flip side, I was all for re-signing Oliver to a fair money deal because I had seen him take over a few games. Consistency had always been his biggest issue, I never doubted he could do it.  

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Spencer Brown and Gabe Davis both have significant warts as starters. No one wanted Edmunds at that price on the Bills, even folks who liked him. Ed Oliver was a relative disappointment at his draft slot but is having the best season of his career so far.

it is harder to be wronger than this post 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Spencer Brown and Gabe Davis both have significant warts as starters. No one wanted Edmunds at that price on the Bills, even folks who liked him. Ed Oliver was a relative disappointment at his draft slot but is having the best season of his career so far.

100% disagree. Oliver is the example of it. How many people are complaining about Oliver since we resigned him or even when we resigned him? Yet prior to that it was he is not worth the money, trade him, blah blah. Edmunds leaves and it fair game to turn him into a guy that should not even be starting on a high school team. In threads about most of current players, its I think Beane McD know more than you. 

The only known facts are: Edmunds played well enough to get him self a massive contract after playing nearly every snap on one of the best D's in the league over multiple years. Bernard has started 3 games and was shaky in his first, better in his second and good in his third. We dont know how it will run out vs teams that try to to run, when teams have tape on him or try to gameplan taking him into account, how his body will hold up. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Just now, ngbills said:

100% disagree. Oliver is the example of it. How many people are complaining about Oliver since we resigned him or even when we resigned him? Yet prior to that it was he is not worth the money, trade him, blah blah. Edmunds leaves and it fair game to turn him into a guy that should not even be starting on a high school team. In threads about most of current players, its I think Beane McD know more than you. 

The only known facts are: Edmunds played well enough to get him self a massive contract after playing nearly every snap on one of the best D's in the league over multiple years. Bernard has started 3 games and was shaky in his first, better in his second and good in his third. We dont know how it will run out vs teams that try to to run, when teams have tape on him or try to gameplan taking him into account, how his body will hold up. 

Again, Oliver is playing the best ball of his career. Why would folks complain about him? You can keep shouting the sky could be green but everyone else has eyes too.

The bottom line is McBeane traded up into the first round to draft Edmunds, didn’t sign him to an extension, and let him play on his fifth year option without re-signing him. They let him walk to be overpaid by one of the worst franchises in the NFL, and he’s currently not making any impact on the worst defense in the NFL. So yes, they know more than me but it seems they agreed Edmunds wasn’t worth the money lmao. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Ah no. This board would have been in flames signing Roller Derby Tremaine to that contract.

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Again, Oliver is playing the best ball of his career. Why would folks complain about him? You can keep shouting the sky could be green but everyone else has eyes too.

The bottom line is McBeane traded up into the first round to draft Edmunds, didn’t sign him to an extension, and let him play on his fifth year option without re-signing him. They let him walk to be overpaid by one of the worst franchises in the NFL, and he’s currently not making any impact on the worst defense in the NFL. So yes, they know more than me but it seems they agreed Edmunds wasn’t worth the money lmao. 

Edmunds - Not paying one of the highest contracts at his position and he sucks are different things. My issue is the ridiculous talk like he cant put one foot in front of the other. There are many with more rational thoughts saying he was too expensive and could be replaced. But there is a growing contingent that makes it out like he could not do the simplest things. 

Oliver - Because supposedly Oliver sucks. That is all we heard before he was resigned. So if he plays a few bad games then he sucks again? Again, my point is that extreme irrational thoughts. Player A either sucks or is the best in the world. Reality is its somewhere in between and everyone can have opinions and discussions about it. Discussions are more interesting when based in reality. 

17 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Edmunds - Not paying one of the highest contracts at his position and he sucks are different things. My issue is the ridiculous talk like he cant put one foot in front of the other. There are many with more rational thoughts saying he was too expensive and could be replaced. But there is a growing contingent that makes it out like he could not do the simplest things. 

Oliver - Because supposedly Oliver sucks. That is all we heard before he was resigned. So if he plays a few bad games then he sucks again? Again, my point is that extreme irrational thoughts. Player A either sucks or is the best in the world. Reality is its somewhere in between and everyone can have opinions and discussions about it. Discussions are more interesting when based in reality. 

You are arguing with the voices in your head at this point. Maybe you need a break. 

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

You are arguing with the voices in your head at this point. Maybe you need a break. 

Go read this thread and some of the others. The fact this thread "Edmunds Report" even exist. Unless I own all of the these accounts and am posting back and forth with myself. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Go read this thread and some of the others. The fact this thread "Edmunds Report" even exist. Unless I own all of the these accounts and am posting back and forth with myself. 

Here’s the thing. I think it’s a total waste of time to debate if someone was bad or mediocre or just average. Edmunds was not a difference maker. Period. He wasn’t a difference maker here, he’s certainly not a difference maker in Chicago. 

Just because someone played on a great defense does not make them a difference maker. Damar Hamlin, Cam Lewis, and Elam all played on the #1 defense last year. None are difference makers, and 2 of them can’t even get pads on.

The laughable narrative that Edmunds was this key cog for our defense over the last 5 years was just that. And we see that, as our defense is still humming along with a safety sized replacement outplaying him, and Edmunds leading the worst defense in football at the other lake. 

Edmunds was somebody we could reasonably upgrade from, and we did. Sucks that we gave up so many assets for him, but credit to Beane and co for cutting bait for a guy who at BEST was average.

I will continue to bump the Edmunds report just as I bumped the Church of Tyrod topics, because some folks were relentless with their delusion and it’s fun.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Here’s the thing. I think it’s a total waste of time to debate if someone was bad or mediocre or just average. Edmunds was not a difference maker. Period. He wasn’t a difference maker here, he’s certainly not a difference maker in Chicago. 

Just because someone played on a great defense does not make them a difference maker. Damar Hamlin, Cam Lewis, and Elam all played on the #1 defense last year. None are difference makers, and 2 of them can’t even get pads on.

The laughable narrative that Edmunds was this key cog for our defense over the last 5 years was just that. And we see that, as our defense is still humming along with a safety sized replacement outplaying him, and Edmunds leading the worst defense in football at the other lake. 

Edmunds was somebody we could reasonably upgrade from, and we did. Sucks that we gave up so many assets for him, but credit to Beane and co for cutting bait for a guy who at BEST was average.

I will continue to bump the Edmunds report just as I bumped the Church of Tyrod topics, because some folks were relentless with their delusion and it’s fun.

Message boards are that important to you huh?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ngbills said:

Strongly disagree.  It is fair game.  A 25 year old should not be starting on a high school team.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Can’t speak for others, but I would’ve been pissed. In fact, I said earlier that offseason before the signing that if Beane re-signs Edmunds for a dollar more than Milano, I’d lose faith in him as a GM. I thought the direction they took on Edmunds would be very telling and was happy they let him walk. I wanted more production from that position. On the flip side, I was all for re-signing Oliver to a fair money deal because I had seen him take over a few games. Consistency had always been his biggest issue, I never doubted he could do it.  

Agreed - great point on paying Milano versus Edmunds.

To the point of resigning players to too much, I think Knox fits into that category. He’s about the 9th highest paid TE right now.  At this point, would have rather used that money for WR2 upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ngbills said:

Except I was always pro-signing Ed and anti-signing Tremaine.

Sure, some people will adjust their opinion based on what the team does. But don't lump everyone in together.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Except I was always pro-signing Ed and anti-signing Tremaine.

Sure, some people will adjust their opinion based on what the team does. But don't lump everyone in together.

I was ambivalent on Ed and a hard no on (re-signing) Tremaine. 

Happy to see Ed showing out so far (shoutout to DaQuan Jones for the assist). 

Not surprised that Tremaine isn't making plays in Chicago. 

Bears Not Getting Return on Front Seven Investment

(Athletic paywall)

“Now, Edmunds did go to the locker room with an undisclosed injury. Maybe he wasn’t at 100 percent. But while he does come free, the rush in itself just doesn’t seem to have the twitch or urgency needed considering who is throwing the football.”

Exactly what I saw watching that game - he was running half speed all afternoon.  Wtf?

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

(Athletic paywall)

“Now, Edmunds did go to the locker room with an undisclosed injury. Maybe he wasn’t at 100 percent. But while he does come free, the rush in itself just doesn’t seem to have the twitch or urgency needed considering who is throwing the football.”

Exactly what I saw watching that game - he was running half speed all afternoon.  Wtf?

When the Bears spent $50 million guaranteed on Edmunds, they did so to get a playmaker, someone who could get his hands on the football more than Roquan Smith did.

What Bills games were they watching to believe Edmunds was a playmaker?? That’s a poor reflection on their pro personnel department. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

20 hours ago, FireChans said:

Very true. I was one of his biggest supporters, but I definitely did not want to pay him that much.

As a side note: I liked the Bernard pick. I watched him play in college and he always seemed to stand out to me. I also like the Dorian Williams pick. A lot. He's going to develop into a nice LB for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/27/2023 at 2:50 PM, ngbills said:

True. Most of this board would be celebrating if we signed Edmunds to that contract. 

This has to be the least true statement made about this board in a decade.

Not even a casual board reader would ever type those words and press “submit reply”

wow wtf?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

This has to be the least true statement made about this board in a decade.

Not even a casual board reader would ever type those words and press “submit reply”

wow wtf?

We've talked about this.  Please don't feed the trolls

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

(Athletic paywall)

I won't pile on Edmunds, but he is just too cautious IMO to play MLB.  I surmise that's why he always looks "half speed".

I have wondered how he would play in a 3-4 D not calling the plays.

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I won't pile on Edmunds, but he is just too cautious IMO to play MLB.  I surmise that's why he always looks "half speed".

A 3-4 OLB in particular, to limit his responsibilities and/or thinking about what to do.

11 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

34 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

A 3-4 OLB in particular, to limit his responsibilities and/or thinking about what to do.

He can't rush the passer. He has been one of the worst blitzers in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I find the whole Edmunds saga pretty gripping tbh.

I wanted him to be "The" guy, I was rooting for him, I was sipping the Kool aid & buying all the excuses and just could not wrap my head around why he was soo... average. Now, after watching him QB the leagues worst or 2nd worst D in the league he looks awful, not average, not below average, he just looks lost. While I'm still not ready to write him off entirely as a bust, I need to see more. The more I watch him though, the more I'm starting to think he may have cost us a shot or 2 @ the SB.

Inquiring minds want to know. Keep this thread going imho.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.