As a Bills fan of the NFL, what keeps your fandom?

Milanos Milano

Why are you a fan of professional football?   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you a fan?

• Winning (Super Bowl)
    • Entertainment
    • Just having a team to cheer for
    • I have nothing better to do

7 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

The Pegulas are 0-8 , that is doing pretty well? 

That's still better than your record. Because you don't have a record. You're not competing.

If you think about it, the Pegulas have actually beat you. Because you gave them your money. You gave them your attention. So, you've lost this competition. You're 0-1...or 0-1000. The numbers don't even matter. Just make up any number. You still lost.

9 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

So you don’t generally get overly emotional if the Bills lose a game, or if they don’t win a Super Bowl in a particular year? So not much slighted at coaching mistakes or management decisions? You just turn on the game and fully go in knowing that football will be played and you just digest it for what it is? 

I kind of wish I could enjoy game day like that, but it just isn’t possible for me. It’s winning or being upset and trying to understand why we lost and how to get better to the point to where we lose less and less. 

I'll help you. Stop saying "we." It starts with one word.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You're not doing anything. You're just watching. You're not competing. You're not winning or losing.

What are you winning?

He's watching at a level you couldn't possibly comprehend.  No one watches harder than him.  You and me, we're just casuals.  Drinking our beer, eating our snacks, checking fantasy scores, talking with friends, getting up to use the restroom.  This dude locks his whole family in the closet to eliminate distractions, has trained his bladder to go 24 hours without breaks, and does not blink from opening kickoff until the final whistle has been blown.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

If buffalo did not have a team I would be reluctant to be as zoned in during football season as I am

i quit hockey cold turkey

i quit baseball cold turkey

ise to follow pretty closely then the lockout stuff and greed kissed me off - almost off that with football but like I said I just have this crazy love for this team.

I don’t think they will ever win one and feel 13 seconds maybe the closest we get again

i hope I’m wrong but taking down my expectations 

14 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

The Pegulas are 0-8 , that is doing pretty well? 

Ok, so if the Bills don't win the superbowl, they are complete and utter losers, regardless of anything else they accomplished. So, the Bills of the last few years are no different than the Bills of the drought years for you.

That extremism as a fan is a very sad, irrational, and unrealistic way to view the team. Why can't fans find satisfaction in doing well during the regular season, or winning a playoff game, or getting to the conference championship game, or any other forms of accomplishment? It is a more complete and honest way to view success and the team. Yes, the superbowl is the most important and highest form of winning, but there are still other accomplishments to recognize too.

• Disagree 1

15 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

So your expectation for the 2018 season was higher? That was the worst Bills roster in a long time, especially on offense. No OL, no WRs, no TEs, No RBs besides a quickly declining McCoy and lastly Peterman and a rookie Allen as QBs. 

I would say closer to 2019 in that I think this team's ceiling is probably 10/11 wins and a WC spot and the floor is 6 or 7 wins an d obvious non playoff season.

Bottom line is there's nothing this team has done to get closer to the Chiefs and Bengals while at the same time many other teams have taken massive steps to catch the Bills, including several in own division which is the major problem given there are only so many spots available in the tourney.

Add it all up and it's a big step backwards/regression on paper.

20 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

This is also a fair point, and I understand this as I’m from the WNY region. But at some point the pain of ineptitude begins to eat away at your Bills blood. At least it has begun to do that with me. I don’t think I could ever fully quit the Bills either, but my caring levels have taken a hit recently because I just can’t understand wanting to be a fan in what appears to be perpetual ineptitude or  players not caring as much as the fans do. It makes you start questioning the spirt of the game, and it begins to feel fake. I don’t want that, because the moment to where the perceived “fakeness” grows to an unsustainable point, I just don’t see how the love for the professional league can keep alive. Football isn’t really an entertainment to me, it’s a way of life to dominate the competition. To win and to be the best for the spirit of competition. 

If you consider THIS team at THIS time "inept," then you have no god-foresaken idea what that word even means

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

If you consider THIS team at THIS time "inept," then you have no god-foresaken idea what that word even means

If you aren’t winning Super Bowls, you are inept. There is no difference between the first loser or the last loser. Both are losers. 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

If you want to celebrate participation trophies, have at it. 

Even if the Bills win super bowls that has no bearing on my competitiveness, I had nothing to do with it

Just now, Araiza Curse said:

So then explain in your own words. 

That would be better served later when I'm at home. On break right now, can't do it justice 

39 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

If you aren’t winning Super Bowls, you are inept. There is no difference between the first loser or the last loser. Both are losers. 

I have a feeling you dress up as characters in the movie you're going to see.  How many times have you dressed up as Michelangelo and are your nun chucks homemade from two paper towel rolls and shoe string? 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Araiza Curse said:

This may be the stupidest thing I have ever read.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

Lol what other options should be included? Most people are either a fan because they want to win, or simply just to be entertained on game day and winning is secondary. Just like how players seem to feel like winning is secondary and the money is the priority. 

I'm a fan because the Bills are in Buffalo, and my Dad, Uncle, and some cousins had season tickets and started taking me to games back in the 70's... My reason for continuing watching the Bills is the comradery with my friends and family. Its just a good time for better or for worse. Its more about friends and family for me, its something I enjoy sharing with them

If the Bills ever leave Buffalo I would stop watching the NFL all together.  I don't watch any football if the Bills are not playing.

Yes I prefer winning and competing... but I still watched most every game during the long stretch of ineptness, and will continue to do so blindly as long as the Bills Prefix is Buffalo

• Thank you (+1) 1

Isn’t there different stages/tiers of what is deemed successful for team sports?

Bottom Tier = Success is sucking bad enough to be able to draft elite player.

Above Bottom Tier = Success maybe getting to .500

Mid Tier = Success is making playoffs 

Above Mid Tier = Success is winning playoff game or 2

Top Tier = Success is making final 4 or better

Elite Tier = Success is winning Championships

Think most people on this site feel this team has had a Top or Elite Tier roster.  Problem is their performance and results in playoffs when it matters most are not.  They have under performed their talent.

Doesn’t mean they are sh*t.  Doesn’t mean the owners are sh*t.  Doesn’t mean they aren’t still fun to watch. It just means at the level they are at and should currently hold themselves to, the past couple of seasons have not been successful.

Edited by Billsflyer12

1 hour ago, Araiza Curse said:

There have only been 35 Super Bowl winning head coaches in 56 years. You are telling me every other head coach is inept?

9 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I would say closer to 2019 in that I think this team's ceiling is probably 10/11 wins and a WC spot and the floor is 6 or 7 wins an d obvious non playoff season.

Bottom line is there's nothing this team has done to get closer to the Chiefs and Bengals while at the same time many other teams have taken massive steps to catch the Bills, including several in own division which is the major problem given there are only so many spots available in the tourney.

Add it all up and it's a big step backwards/regression on paper.

So based on the average of your expectations of this season your over/under would would be 8-9 wins? Josh Allen will win you 8-9 games by himself. I'd put a whole lot of money on the over if I could place a bet on that over/under. They could sleepwalk through the season and get 8-9 wins. 

Your expected ceiling for the team is my expected floor(10 wins) my ceiling is 13 wins. One thing Buffalo has done well since 2019 is getting alot of wins in the first 6-7 games and the last 5-6 games of the year. I don't see that changing.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

I think I love Football  for a different reason than i love being a Bills fan.

I love football because we used to play it.   In buffalo (city of).  in the snow.  in the street.   riding my bike for blocks and blocks, hoping to ride past a street or a park where people were playing, so i could get some football in.  Heads-up if necessary.   During lunch in highschool in the snow and spending 5th period soaked as the snow melted off of us.   Getting injured and it was worth it.  And . . . making spectacular plays once-in-a-while.

spectacular catches.  running faster than you thought you could.   Being better at football than other people expected.   Never played organized sports, but always played football year-round.

Lived through the 70s and learned to HATE the dolphins.  Even though, back then, the Bills were Not my favorite team.  Because i loved playing, i loved watching NFL players do it excellently.  Watching them do something and thinking and feeling "i coulda done that!"   The Bills never captured my interest like that.

But during high school in the 80s, i realized i needed to root for one team for the rest of my life.   It was a need.  Since i loved football and was loyal by nature.

Bills

the added benefit of hating the dolphins added to the love of watching football.   An Arch-villain.  I feel bad for fans of other teams who do not have a natural hatred.   I understand college football rivalries in my bones.

I love football.  And i love that i have a natural team to root for.  A win-win

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.