McDermott Presser 8/19

BuffaloBillyG

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He felt Dodson handled the defense well?😬

How on the green Earth is this still a battle?

Because why rush an announcement that Torrence will be the starting RG?  If he’s the better player and starts Week 1, does it matter if he’s not announced the starter on August 20th?  Given Peterman started over Allen at one point, it shouldn’t be surprising that McD is not announcing Torrence as the starter yet.

He can't be serious about the performance at MLB. Wonder if one of the crack journalists asked why Dodson was playing fourth quarter minutes if he was handling the defense well. At least he was honest about Dawkins, but you really couldn't even implausibly lie about that.

• Agree 2

Just now, strive_for_five_guy said:

Because why rush an announcement that Torrence will be the starting RG?  If he’s the better player and starts Week 1, does it matter if he’s not announced the starter on August 20th?  Given Peterman started over Allen at one point, it shouldn’t be surprising that McD is not announcing Torrence as the starter yet.

I mean, if he has a winner in mind that's cool and no, there is no need to announce it. I get that. I'm sure there is some coach speak there. Point is if you take his words at face value and he's still pondering who will start it really makes me question his ability be decisive.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

He can't be serious about the performance at MLB. Wonder if one of the crack journalists asked why Dodson was playing fourth quarter minutes if he was handling the defense well. At least he was honest about Dawkins, but you really couldn't even implausibly lie about that.

Yeah, I get that he likely isn't going to throw someone under the bus here...but he went from being "concerned" to they handled it well....after that game? Dude needs sew glasses...and NOT from the Sally Jesse Raphael line.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Because his greater tendencies and instincts will always be to defend and favor his defense.  That’s one of the arguments many make to why its so much harder for defensive HC to win the Super Bowl in this offensive/QB era.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Love to hear what he really thinks! He’s so pissed about that piss poor performance. 

Well that sucks for Doyle. Let’s hope he’s the Sacrificial Lamb to the NFL Injury Gods for the season. 

He basically blamed the offense lol...as if the defense did any better....defense once again can't stop the run 😆 and McDermott is too stubborn to change the scheme he covets 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

He basically blamed the offense lol...as if the defense did any better....defense once again can't stop the run 😆 and McDermott is too stubborn to change the scheme he covets 

Just wait, with the QBs that we face this season, opening up the running lanes, and us w/o a MLB, ... LOL  

Anyone thinking that our rushing D has been problematic against even teams with mediocre RBs had better buckle-up.  I don't see our rushing D going well this season.  

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Actually I think he was commenting more on how both players at MLB yesterday handled the defensive calls.  He added they played hard but there is still much work to do there.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

It wasn't McDermott's fault.  It was the defensive coordinators.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Unless Torrence gets lost on his way back from Chicago, I don't see how he's not the starting RG.

I'm wondering whether Bates or Torrence could slide over a spot.  Coudn't be much worse than Brown.  

I realize it's not likely, just sayin'.  

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Well, Yes, actually.  They could be worse than Brown.

As I said, I find it difficult to believe that they could be "much worse" than Brown.  Brown's a cut above a turnstyle.  

If they were even comparable, even slightly worse, considering that neither has ever played the position, at least it's a higher ceiling.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Kinda calling out the offense it sounds to me.

He isn't going to all the DC for his unit pooping the bed in the first quarter. He is in love with that guy. 

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

As I said, I find it difficult to believe that they could be "much worse" than Brown. 

I don't find it difficult to believe that you find it difficult to believe that another player, playing out of position, could be worse than Brown.

I'm not arguing that Brown is playing well, mind.   Just that the solution is not to create two problems.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Kinda calling out the offense it sounds to me.

Wonder what side of the ball he saw an issue with because it seem like it was on both sides to me and special teams. 

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

potentially an issue of holding back reps from the young guy, but with bated being used so many ways I’m not sure that convention is a concern 

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't find it difficult to believe that you find it difficult to believe that another player, playing out of position, could be worse than Brown.

I'm not arguing that Brown is playing well, mind.   Just that the solution is not to create two problems.

We already have a second problem… Dawkins.

21 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'm wondering whether Bates or Torrence could slide over a spot.  Coudn't be much worse than Brown.  

I realize it's not likely, just sayin'.  

Oh they’re going to be sliding over A LOT. Problem is Brown will still be on the field when they do.. sucking at blocking the little men that get all up in his grill on snap.

I need to go back and watch, but I have it in my head that Brown looks worst when the defensive guy gets right up in his chin strap initially and then uses his hands and feet to disorient the massive giant until it’s time to go right by him and pursue the ball. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Wonder what side of the ball he saw an issue with because it seem like it was on both sides to me and special teams. 

He was referring to all of the offensive penalties that killed any momentum they were beginning to mount.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

It's likely not practical, simply throwing it out there as a what-if kinda thing.  Largely myself wondering whether a G could transition to T quickly.  It's been done, so implying that it's an impossibility is baseless.  

No need to overanalyze it otherwise, it was largely rhetorical on my part.  Next time I'll try to state as much.  

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Oh they’re going to be sliding over A LOT. Problem is Brown will still be on the field when they do.. sucking at blocking the little men that get all up in his grill on snap.

I need to go back and watch, but I have it in my head that Brown looks worst when the defensive guy gets right up in his chin strap initially and then uses his hands and feet to disorient the massive giant until it’s time to go right by him and pursue the ball. 

Agreed 

Brown's play, from what I saw on the highlights, was a 2/3 on a 10-scale.  

9 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

If our D somehow manages to collapse this year, I just don’t see how McD wouldn’t be in the hot seat. It’s crazy to me that the owners basically seemed unconcerned and wrote a blank check and hitched their wagons without better supporting evidence. 

I still think a lot of fans don't understand that just because the Pegula's just extended this regime it doesn't preclude them from firing both on the spot if this season ends up being a epic train wreck and there's plenty of precedence for that both recently in the league (Cardinals) and in Buffalo (Dick The Corpse Jauron).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.