RB Alex Collins RIP- 28 years old

Big Turk

1 hour ago, eball said:

So sad.  Reminder # 2,364, 321 (and counting) that cars and trucks are undefeated vs. bikes and motorcycles.

RIP to a man dying way too young.

That's why I would never ride one. Doesn't matter how safe you are or how many precautions you take. Too many people in cars or trucks don't pay attention these days and are liable to hit someone on a bike or motorcycle.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That's why I would never ride one. Doesn't matter how safe you are or how many precautions you take. Too many people in cars or trucks don't pay attention these days and are liable to hit someone on a bike or motorcycle.

Agreed.  The impaired driver a biker used to worry about also has to now contend with the distracted driver.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

In this case, based on the article, the motorcycle driver was at fault. 

• Disagree 2

28 minutes ago, Chaos said:

That may be, but the larger point still stands. What would be a minor fender bender with no injuries in a car turns into major life threatening injuries or someone ending up dead on a motorcycle.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That may be, but the larger point still stands. What would be a minor fender bender with no injuries in a car turns into major life threatening injuries or someone ending up dead on a motorcycle.

Talk to any EMT.  The reason to not drive motorcycles is not limited to other drivers.  The bigger point is motorcycles are inherently dangerous.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5

33 minutes ago, Chaos said:

According to the sheriff's report, they were travelling in opposite directions and the car was making a left hand turn, so I'm guessing they would be at fault. Just awful though, RIP.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The reason to not drive motorcycles is

…because they always lose the battle against cars and trucks. It makes no difference who is at fault/careless/negligent. You’re literally playing Russian Roulette when you take a bike or motorcycle out on a road with traffic. Period. 

• Agree 3

26 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

According to the sheriff's report, they were travelling in opposite directions and the car was making a left hand turn, so I'm guessing they would be at fault. Just awful though, RIP.

both?

not to be grammar police, but i cant even "but Maddenboy, you know what i meant, though" figure out what or who you mean.

it seems to me the motorcycle would be at fault, on these scant facts.  because the motorcyclist, as all motorists, should never be driving so fast he cannot avoid a collision (because even 25mph can be too fast, depending on visibility, weather, the condition of the bike, the fatigue of the driver, etc).  The motorcyclist, and all drivers, should Expect that crazy or stupid or drunk stuff Will be done by other drivers.

Or, even if Florida has comparative fault, to me the motorcycle should be at least 50% at fault, even if the car driver made an illegal turn..

---

after a few re-reads, if i had to bet money, i think you are saying that the car broke the status-quo of everybody minding his own lawful business, so but / for the car turning left, the accident would never have happened.

we probably need a lot more facts.

Agree with your bottom line though.  tragic.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Disagree 2

3 hours ago, eball said:

So sad.  Reminder # 2,364, 321 (and counting) that cars and trucks are undefeated vs. bikes and motorcycles.

RIP to a man dying way too young.

I had been an avid mcy rider for 40+ years, which started with me & my friends riding mini bikes with Briggs & Stratton engines alongside the railroad tracks in the southtowns. LOL But 2 years ago I stopped riding....way too dangerous any more, with way too many distracted drivers out there.

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

both?

not to be grammar police, but i cant even "but Maddenboy, you know what i meant, though" figure out what or who you mean.

it seems to me the motorcycle would be at fault, on these scant facts.  because the motorcyclist, as all motorists, should never be driving so fast he cannot avoid a collision (because even 25mph can be too fast, depending on visibility, weather, the condition of the bike, the fatigue of the driver, etc).  The motorcyclist, and all drivers, should Expect that crazy or stupid or drunk stuff Will be done by other drivers.

Or, even if Florida has comparative fault, to me the motorcycle should be at least 50% at fault, even if the car driver made an illegal turn..

---

after a few re-reads, if i had to bet money, i think you are saying that the car broke the status-quo of everybody minding his own lawful business, so but / for the car turning left, the accident would never have happened.

Oops I definitely should have been more clear, but I was thinking the female in the car is at fault. But without all of the facts, it's impossible to say, speed and visibility could have been an issue for the bike too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Oops I definitely should have been more clear, but I was thinking the female in the car is at fault. But without all of the facts, it's impossible to say, speed and visibility could have been an issue for the bike too.

i saw someone once say that instead of driving to be aware of all the vehicles and driving defensively you must drive you motorcycle like all cars and trucks are trying to kill you - it's the only way ot survive.

sadly, too many motorcyclists do not appreciate life or others enough to drive respectfully and safely. don't even get me started on lane splitting. that's suicide.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's not just people on cars and trucks that don't pay attention. I constantly see motorcycle drivers flying down streets at 90mph when the speed limit is only 50mph and then flying right in front of people and cutting them off. It's not always dumb car and truck drivers

• Agree 3

In my experience, this typically applies to people riding Harleys or a cruiser motorcycle....The people on dirt bikes are crotch rockets are some of the most dangerous people on the road.

• Agree 1

ALSO here in Ohio most people on motorcycles don't wear full helmets or other protective gear, thinking that they are invincible... I just don't get it,

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, boyst said:

i saw someone once say that instead of driving to be aware of all the vehicles and driving defensively you must drive you motorcycle like all cars and trucks are trying to kill you - it's the only way ot survive.

sadly, too many motorcyclists do not appreciate life or others enough to drive respectfully and safely. don't even get me started on lane splitting. that's suicide.

On your first paragraph...100% agree. When I was riding, and was near other vehicles, I always, constantly, practiced "SIPDE." Scan (all around), Identify (possible dumb actions by other drivers), Predict (what they're going to do), Determine (what I needed to do to stay safe if they pulled a dumb move), and if need be, Execute (my move to be safe).

Riding pretty much demands 100% concentration and continuous scanning (when you're near other vehicles). Now, if you're out in the country, and you can see for miles (flat lands), and nobody is around, let'er rip to 186mph....LOL. Other than a roller-coaster, there's nothing quite like going WOT and going from 0 to 100mph in about 6 seconds, and then continuing up past 170. We used to say it was the most fun you could have with your clothes on. 😂

Edited by Bob Jones
Added words

23 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

ALSO here in Ohio most people on motorcycles don't wear full helmets or other protective gear, thinking that they are invincible... I just don't get it,

They have a death wish. They think they are cool...wonder how cool they think they are when their head hits the concrete at 60 mph.

That being said wearing a helmet at that speed basically just ensures your brain won't be splattered all over the road, not sure it's going to do much for you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This sounds like what happened to a girl I knew in high school. She was turning left out of the traffic light on to Moseley Rd in Fairport (the one by the Applebees). A guy on a bike was flying down Moseley and hit her and ended up dying. She was traumatized after.  Sad thing all around. 

8 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

This sounds like what happened to a girl I knew in high school. She was turning left out of the traffic light on to Moseley Rd in Fairport (the one by the Applebees). A guy on a bike was flying down Moseley and hit her and ended up dying. She was traumatized after.  Sad thing all around. 

PTSD from such accidents is so real. My husband was in a pedestrian involved accident- pedestrian didn’t die but was injured, and it wasn’t his fault but he still struggles with it almost two years later.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

They have a death wish. They think they are cool...wonder how cool they think they are when their head hits the concrete at 60 mph.

That being said wearing a helmet at that speed basically just ensures your brain won't be splattered all over the road, not sure it's going to do much for you.

One of the sailors I served with got nailed in San Diego and he was wearing full protective gear and was seriously injured... most of the time those others end up dead and I am sad to see nobody will do anything about it here. It is also legal to operate motor vehicles without any doors, so stupidity abounds.

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Talk to any EMT.  The reason to not drive motorcycles is not limited to other drivers.  The bigger point is motorcycles are inherently dangerous.

Doctors too. My friends who are doctors refer to people who ride motorcycles as "organ donors". That held true for my cousin who died in a motorcycle accident. Hit gravel at a turn on a country road and went through a fence. 

I worked with a guy whose previous job was delivering pizzas. One day he told me that he had just gone to court to testify from an incident when he had that job. He was behind a motorcycle at a light in the left turn lane. They got an arrow and they both started to make the turn. A car blew the red light and plowed into the motorcycle. (This was in Columbus where everyone seems to run red lights after they turn.) Among other injuries the rider's leg was badly broken and bent where it shouldn't have been. My coworker testified to what he saw, but for some reason the jury still held the rider liable for the accident. The moral of that story is that a rider can't even expect to be treated fairly by the legal system. There is no way that riding on the open road is worth the risk of death or serious injury, but that really puts a cherry on top.

4 hours ago, eball said:

…because they always lose the battle against cars and trucks. It makes no difference who is at fault/careless/negligent. You’re literally playing Russian Roulette when you take a bike or motorcycle out on a road with traffic. Period. 

I have an acquaintance who is a stunt man in the motion picture industry, and specializes in motorcycle stunts, including crashes, jumps, etc. I asked him what kind of motorcycle he rode on the street, and he told me he would never ride one on the street.

What a terrifying accident and death.  Sounds like she turned left in front of him, he came through her window and ended up dead in the back seat. So tragic and sad. Just wow.

On a side note, a lady i work with said a deer ran out of the woods at night while she was driving, it crashed straight through her passenger side window and ended up dead in her lap.  She was horrified.  I get very anxious from that just hearing about it!

I used to work on an Army base, which requires full safety gear for motorcycle riders. Some riders would stop outside the gate and remove their helmets and carry on.

Alex Collins was involved with Irish step dancing as a hobby IIRC. I enjoyed watching his hard running style, most recently in the USFL.

May he Rest In Peace.

6 hours ago, maddenboy said:

both?

---

He was going straight and clearly has the right away over a car making a turn. My first and only accident happened like this when I was 16. A car made a left right j front of me...I had no time to stop. Ruled their fault as I had the right of way. Saying you should be able to come.to a complete stop to avoid a car cutting in front of you is ridiculous.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, maddenboy said:

both?

---

This is some bad logic. The rules of the road put the left-turning driver at fault

RIP Alex

On 8/15/2023 at 8:04 AM, CapeBreton said:

Gosh I know exactly where this is. He went to High School right up the road from me at South Plantation. From all accounts a great kid and remember it was a shock that he went to play for Beilema at Arkansas. Motorcycles in So FLA are bad news, RIP. 

On 8/15/2023 at 9:18 PM, maddenboy said:

both?

---

Yes, tragic. Very much so.

But no, the car turning into the path of another vehicle does not have the right of way and shouldn't make the turn if it will force a car going straight to be put into a dangerous situation where any sort of fast stop should be called for.

Obviously if the car going straight is speeding, that changes things as it makes it much harder for the turning driver to decide what will be safe. If the driver going straight is not speeding, though, the car turning does not have the right of way and should not make that turn if it might cause an accident. And there's no evidence he was speeding from the little we've seen.

I say that having made a left turn as a lad when I shouldn't have. Sounds like almost exactly the same situation as happened in this accident. It was my fault. I was thinking too much about the girl whose house I was headed towards, saw the lady heading towards me unable to stop in time only after I had entered the turn. I hit the gas and almost made it but not quite. And I was driving the family car. 

Sheer dumbness on my part. I'll never forget how forgiving my parents were, knowing it was my fault, making it clear that they knew I was to blame, but not completely losing it or holding onto their anger for very long.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

On 8/15/2023 at 9:08 AM, Buffalo03 said:

It's not just people on cars and trucks that don't pay attention. I constantly see motorcycle drivers flying down streets at 90mph when the speed limit is only 50mph and then flying right in front of people and cutting them off. It's not always dumb car and truck drivers

The only accident I have ever been in is when I stopped at a stop sign and a motorcyclist plowed into me. Luckily he wasn't hurt, but he left a big dent in my bumper that his insurance paid for.

I see motorcyclists do some pretty dumb things all the time on the freeway, including not wearing a helmet. I am always shocked by how little they esteem their own life.

I got very close to getting a motorcycle when I was younger and even signed up for classes/training, but then I got a really bad feeling about it and decided against it. I have a family to provide for, and I determined it was too risky.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

The only accident I have ever been in is when I stopped at a stop sign and a motorcyclist plowed into me. Luckily he wasn't hurt, but he left a big dent in my bumper that his insurance paid for.

I see motorcyclists do some pretty dumb things all the time on the freeway, including not wearing a helmet. I am always shocked by how little they esteem their own life.

I got very close to getting a motorcycle when I was younger and even signed up for classes/training, but then I got a really bad feeling about it and decided against it. I have a family to provide for, and I determined it was too risky.

Yeah, they are real bad on Thruways. I drive through Grand Island at 70mph and I will have a group of motorcyclists fly past me all the time. There's times as I am about to get into another lane, I see them in my mirror couple car lengths back and then before I even turn my head to the side to watch them go by so I can get into the next lane, they are already 5 car lengths ahead of me. I don't know why they think they are invincible 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.