UB Bars in the 80's

Irv

UB Class of '87.  Anybody have any memories they want to share?

• PJ's
  • Third Base
  • Cassidy's (Freddie's Special) 
  • Stuffed Mushroom
  • Sutters Mill
  • The Library
  • Wilkison Pub
  • Molly Malones
  • Mickey Rats
  • Pinzones (Food)
  • Mikes Big Mouth (Food)
  • The Steer (I was too poor hang there)
  • Rude Boyz
  • Others?    
Edited by Irv

I didn’t go to UB, but I did go to The Library. There was a Mighty Taco just up the road that got our late night visits. I’m more of a rule follower, but some friends liked to skip the order line and go straight to the pick up line for the next already paid for order that nobody else jumped for. Ballsy, but tasty at 3am. Never had an issue. 

It wears me out now just to THINK of the stuff we used to do! 

The Library is a cool bar name, and every college should have one! My wife went to a college and their easy walk to bar was called Daddy’s Money. Also fitting! 

• Like (+1) 1

• Irv changed the title to UB Bars in the 80's
6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

* UB Bars in the 80's*

"Bars" is plural, not possessive in your thread title; no need for the apostrophe.

I guess you didn't study English while in undergrad, eh?

Ha.  Good catch.  Nope.  Electrical Engineer with Computer Science Masters.  Summa ***** Laude.  The Library also was a great bar. On Bailey right?    There was a bar above it?     

The Library was on the second floor about 2 blocks south of UB (if my memory doesn't fail me). The place was lined with bookshelves. I grabbed one to see if it was real and it was. Speaking of grabbing, the bar was super packed and if you stood near the ladies room, you could grab mucho a** just by being packed against the crowd. Probably was way,way over the fire code.

MightyTaco on Bailey -  back  then no sit down, so get your food and leave.  Stopped there with a friend and got my food first and waited outside on the sidewalk.  This guy comes running down the sidewalk being chased by several others.  The lead chaser had a piece of PVC pipe  to beat him with.  The chasee gets near me and tries to use me as a shield. The guy with the PVC shoves me out of the way to get to him and the group starts  beating him in the middle of Bailey Avenue. Someone in the  MT called the cops and as soon as the sirens started they all split. My friend comes out of MT and goes "What happened?"

Wilkinson Pub- That was the bar in the Ellicott dorms. In late 1978, I remember seeing posters  all over campus for Blondie playing at the Wilkinson Pub. That was less than 6 months before them  hitting it  big nationally.

Edited by Wacka

18 hours ago, Wacka said:

The Library was on the second floor about 2 blocks south of UB (if my memory doesn't fail me). The place was lined with bookshelves. I grabbed one to see if it was real and it was. Speaking of grabbing, the bar was super packed and if you stood near the ladies room, you could grab mucho a** just by being packed against the crowd. Probably was way,way over the fire code.

MightyTaco on Bailey -  back  then no sit down, so get your food and leave.  Stopped there with a friend and got my food first and waited outside on the sidewalk.  This guy comes running down the sidewalk being chased by several others.  The lead chaser had a piece of PVC pipe  to beat him with.  The chasee gets near me and tries to use me as a shield. The guy with the PVC shoves me out of the way to get to him and the group starts  beating him in the middle of Bailey Avenue. Someone in the  MT called the cops and as soon as the sirens started they all split. My friend comes out of MT and goes "What happened?"

Wilkinson Pub- That was the bar in the Ellicott dorms. In late 1978, I remember seeing posters  all over campus for Blondie playing at the Wilkinson Pub. That was less than 6 months before them  hitting it  big nationally.

I remember that night. Styx played at the Aud that night, and Nick Gilder (hot child in the city) was the opening act. Once back at the dorms, we were having a post concert celebration when Gilder comes wandering down the hall, in search of Blondie at the Wilkinson Pub.  Enjoyed some herbal entertainment with him before getting him the the pub (the Elliott complex was a maze not easily navigated by outsiders 😂)

• Like (+1) 2

I lived on campus 1979-1981 and became 18 on my birthday in 1979.

I lived in Wikeson Quadrangle and went to Wikeson Pub.

I spent some time in pub mostly working cleanup.

I was cleaning floor and a black lady was being harassed by a UB football player with him trying to pick her up using racial epitaphs.

I got between her and him and told him she said no.   

He stood up, picked up bar stool and said told me to get out of way.

I said "I am just going to stand here" and he swung it at me with me moving my head hitting me on my shoulder.

I then smiled at him and said "Tag? I love playing tag." and then laughed a laugh many people have said is very creepy.

He said "Oh Sh1t!" and turned and I stuck my mop between his legs and redirected him so his head hit the table.

He was very stunned, probably had a concussion, and I picked him up and yelled to guy at door "Open the door I am taking out trash."

I carried him to door and threw him out and he did not get up.

This all occurred in a very short period of time. 

Within 10 minutes campus security showed up and the two beefy guys had him sent somewhere; I did not ask where.

Security asked questions and responses were "He attacked him and he defended himself.", "he did not even hit him he tripped on wet floor" and with guy at door saying "he was still trying to fight and he was shoved out door and fell down drunk."   

Security guys looked carefully at me with very visible welt from stool showing on shoulder and made comment "You might need to seek medical attention."

I had other such events on campus including Monte Carlo night Wikeson Quadrangle held and each case it was same two campus security cops.

Moved off campus in Fall of 1981 and went to a few of them including PJ's and Mickey Rats but not a lot of funds for drinking; mostly went when they had some 10 cent wing specials.

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I lived on campus 1979-1981 and became 18 on my birthday in 1979.

I lived in Wikeson Quadrangle and went to Wikeson Pub.

I spent some time in pub mostly working cleanup.

I was cleaning floor and a black lady was being harassed by a UB football player with him trying to pick her up using racial epitaphs.

I got between her and him and told him she said no.   

He stood up, picked up bar stool and said told me to get out of way.

I said "I am just going to stand here" and he swung it at me with me moving my head hitting me on my shoulder.

I then smiled at him and said "Tag? I love playing tag." and then laughed a laugh many people have said is very creepy.

He said "Oh Sh1t!" and turned and I stuck my mop between his legs and redirected him so his head hit the table.

He was very stunned, probably had a concussion, and I picked him up and yelled to guy at door "Open the door I am taking out trash."

I carried him to door and threw him out and he did not get up.

This all occurred in a very short period of time. 

Within 10 minutes campus security showed up and the two beefy guys had him sent somewhere; I did not ask where.

Security asked questions and responses were "He attacked him and he defended himself.", "he did not even hit him he tripped on wet floor" and with guy at door saying "he was still trying to fight and he was shoved out door and fell down drunk."   

Security guys looked carefully at me with very visible welt from stool showing on shoulder and made comment "You might need to seek medical attention."

I had other such events on campus including Monte Carlo night Wikeson Quadrangle held and each case it was same two campus security cops.

Moved off campus in Fall of 1981 and went to a few of them including PJ's and Mickey Rats but not a lot of funds for drinking; mostly went when they had some 10 cent wing specials.

Racial epithets …

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2023 at 9:37 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I went to UB in the late 70s, just when the Amherst campus got going. I recall the school had the college atmosphere like a DMV waiting room.

I had buddies there when I was about 16. I remember a bar, and screwdrivers, for some reason. I remember them just vaguely. 

I was on campus once a few years later with a girlfriend and my Golden Retriever. My only dog to have a WAY too close encounter with a skunk. I let her drive my car for shampoo and tomato juice to wash her in a pond, and she still smelled at “make me barf” levels on the ride home. 

THAT is my memory of that campus. 

I spent one night in the Ellicott Dorms.  I was a commuter and was at the Ridge Lea campus at the computing center (back when you had to use punch cards and wait up to an hour for your print out). It was like 2 AM and my battery died. The intercampus bus stopped around 10 PM. Someone who was also leaving  (dandy have jumper cables either) saw my dilemma and  offered to give me a ride to the Amherst campus  and told me I could  sleep in a lounge the rest of the night.  In the AM, took the bus to Ridge 

lea,got a jump and a new battery.  The Ridge Lea campus is currently  in the process of being leveled for a Costco.

On 7/29/2023 at 8:37 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I went to UB in the late 70s, just when the Amherst campus got going. I recall the school had the college atmosphere like a DMV waiting room.

It was purposely built that way.  Because of the protests and campus turbulence of the 1960s & early '70s. I think the University President had a secret elevator to their office. ?? Everything was purposely planned with the brutalist design.

Anyway... In recent years that design is being wiped away for more inclusive designs... Like adding a student union, etc...

BTW... BA, '90.

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It was purposely built that way.  Because of the protests and campus turbulence of the 1960s & early '70s. I think the University President had a secret elevator to their office. ?? Everything was purposely planned with the brutalist design.

Anyway... In recent years that design is being wiped away for more inclusive designs... Like adding a student union, etc...

BTW... BA, '90.

I read that when it was built, they made it so you could not run flat out anywhere on campus.  The doors didn't always open the same way.  There were pits and mounds everywhere on the lawn.  I guess it was because of the riots on the South Campus in the 60's.    

• Agree 1

Back in the late 70s they had an article in The Spectrum (student newspaper we called it The Rectum) about some possible plans for the Amherst Campus that were not used. One was a giant pyramid like building  with the University President's office at the top.  One of the major reasons it was scrapped was because that land was a marsh  in the past and  it would have sunk in the ground. The academic spine is connected in the basements. I made it from  Capen Hall to the Performing arts center without going outside.

2 hours ago, Wacka said:

Back in the late 70s they had an article in The Spectrum (student newspaper we called it The Rectum) about some possible plans for the Amherst Campus that were not used. One was a giant pyramid like building  with the University President's office at the top.  One of the major reasons it was scrapped was because that land was a marsh  in the past and  it would have sunk in the ground. The academic spine is connected in the basements. I made it from  Capen Hall to the Performing arts center without going outside.

I was on the editorial staff of The Spectrum in early 80s and I saw some of the files they had on new campus.  Some were marked unsubstantiated and others had other documents attached.

The university's student center on South Campus was originally paid for by student fees and they took it away for a dental school and gave students space in Amherst campus.  It was not the same since most people who used it lived in off campus Buffalo area and buses stopped running. I was part of the peaceful protest.  Most of people in protest started acting like this was this was he campus police issue for trying to stop us from blocking access but I told them they are still same people who many were friends with.

I was first person "arrested" by two campus police and had my "mug shot" with two officers who were in picture as witnesses.  Both were LB sized with beards and I put my arms on their shoulders smiling when picture was taken; the two of them tried to have straight faces.  Rest of people had their pictures taken quietly.  All were told this was a warning not an arrest but if they continued any trouble they would have charges filed against them with cops being the witnesses that you were and you were violating agreement.

And I never called it "The Rectum".  At least when I was on editorial board we attempted to differentiate between facts and opinions and required sources for articles; those which were first hand had to be identified as such.

• Like (+1) 2

i went to ub for grad school in 2000-2004, and the only name i recognize was the steer.  we drank there a lot.  i remember 10 cent wing night, and that when smoking was outlawed indoor, that place didn't give a *****.  if anything, the bartender was annoyed we kept opening the front door, letting the cold in.  he insisted we smoke inside.

• Like (+1) 2

My undergrad years were 75-79. The year before I went there, the  speakers bureau had two great speakers.  Moe Howard of the Three Stooges and Noel  Neill, Lois lane  in the original Superman TV show. The tickets sold out.

On 7/29/2023 at 10:36 AM, gomper said:

Anacones on Bailey.  You could get a to go six pack and a great roast beef sandwich at 3am.

There was a paint store next door to Anacone's and I worked for them painting houses one summer. After work we'd meet up at the paint store and go next door and grab a beef on weck and a few Molson's. 

They had big band music on the jukebox, the place was great.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/29/2023 at 9:08 AM, Irv said:

Ha.  Good catch.  Nope.  Electrical Engineer with Computer Science Masters.  Summa ***** Laude.  The Library also was a great bar. On Bailey right?    There was a bar above it?     

Was Stax was in same building?

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I was on the editorial staff of The Spectrum in early 80s and I saw some of the files they had on new campus.  Some were marked unsubstantiated and others had other documents attached.

The university's student center on South Campus was originally paid for by student fees and they took it away for a dental school and gave students space in Amherst campus.  It was not the same since most people who used it lived in off campus Buffalo area and buses stopped running. I was part of the peaceful protest.  Most of people in protest started acting like this was this was he campus police issue for trying to stop us from blocking access but I told them they are still same people who many were friends with.

I was first person "arrested" by two campus police and had my "mug shot" with two officers who were in picture as witnesses.  Both were LB sized with beards and I put my arms on their shoulders smiling when picture was taken; the two of them tried to have straight faces.  Rest of people had their pictures taken quietly.  All were told this was a warning not an arrest but if they continued any trouble they would have charges filed against them with cops being the witnesses that you were and you were violating agreement.

And I never called it "The Rectum".  At least when I was on editorial board we attempted to differentiate between facts and opinions and required sources for articles; those which were first hand had to be identified as such.

That was a really good paper.  There was another one that was magazine styled that I can’t remember the name.  There was one author that went by the pseudonym of Bitter Twisted.  Funny guy.  

11 hours ago, Wacka said:

My undergrad years were 75-79. The year before I went there, the  speakers bureau had two great speakers.  Moe Howard of the Three Stooges and Noel  Neill, Lois lane  in the original Superman TV show. The tickets sold out.

When I was there I saw George Takei (Sulu) and Walter Koenig (Chekov) together from Star Trek: The Original Series. Walter Koenig told us that he was offered the lead in a X rated movie where he was the captain of a star ship.  I am sure the ratio of the females to males would favor the females unlike the original series.

19 hours ago, Wacka said:

The Spectrum was still around in the late 90s, (BA, class of 2000).  it used to have ads for Mickey Rats in it all the time. I also remember Steer being a popular stop back then. I'm sure there were others but I've never been all too social so I usually booze it up at close friends parties or on my own vs in public. 

Edited by The Jokeman

I went to UB’s in the early 90s

Molly’s (next to Wilson Farms).  Some kid was thrown down the stairs there by a bouncer maybe 15 years ago and died from his injuries.  Place was shut down a few years later…as were PJ Bottom’s and Third Base)

Jimmy J’s on Bailey

BBC on Bailey (same building as The Library)

Broadway Joe’s (next to Mickey Rat’s)

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Molly’s (next to Wilson Farms).  Some kid was thrown down the stairs there by a bouncer maybe 15 years ago and died from his injuries.

At least one off duty Buffalo Police officer working bar security was brought up on federal charges and convicted over inaction during the incident.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

At least one off duty Buffalo Police officer working bar security was brought up on federal charges and convicted over inaction during the incident.

Bar bouncers are hands down some of the biggest dipsh**'s I've ever seen in my life....most of the time they make situations much worse than actually helping.  One of the things I don't miss at all from the bar days 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/5/2023 at 10:33 PM, Bermuda Triangle said:

Molly’s (next to Wilson Farms).  Some kid was thrown down the stairs there by a bouncer maybe 15 years ago and died from his injuries.  Place was shut down a few years later…as were PJ Bottom’s and Third Base)

On 8/5/2023 at 10:33 PM, Bermuda Triangle said:

Jimmy J’s on Bailey

Best wings on campus in the early 90s  JimmyJ’s on Bailey

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2023 at 1:36 PM, gomper said:

Anacones on Bailey.  You could get a to go six pack and a great roast beef sandwich at 3am.

Dave Anacone was a well known touring and studio drummer.

The following excerpt is from http://home.digitalcity.com/buffalo/...nn/v-107566977

"Free Beer Tomorrow" reads a well polished brass sign behind the bar. That may keep the Homer Simpsons of this town coming back, but others are drawn by more realistic charms. Anacone's (rhymes with "condones") has been in the same spot on the Bailey strip since 1967, when Dave Anacone's bar thrived on clientele from Harrison Radiator and other neighborhood companies. Relic of that era, a yellowed placard offering the workingman's special: a draft of Genny and a shot of Grande Canadian. The nearest big employer now is the University at Buffalo's South Campus, whose med school and architecture students, not to mention undergrads who shirk the Greekish University Heights scene, call this their hangout of choice. After growing up in the apartment above the bar, Mark Anacone took over the business from his father, whose beside burned face looks out from behind the bar and a drum kit in a couple of prominently displayed photos. Look closely and you'll find a crayon drawing of him, too, which years of tobacco smoke have made look like a Clifford Still painting from the Albright Knox. Every once in a while Dave Anacone and the Bebop All Stars get booked to play a smoking set of traditional jazz in the back room. Occasionally, so does another band (The Red Gills are frequently that band, but there are others); otherwise, you can appreciate an abundance of tables, cheap pool, and a well stocked but not-too-loud jukebox. Open every day from 11-4, Anacone's serves beef on weck and some other sandwich favorites. Drinks are reasonably priced, making this a great option for a drink with friends, today or, for free beer, tomorrow. --Stephen Gingerich

We spent many a night there playing pool on the short wall. Met my wife there.

On 7/29/2023 at 4:15 PM, oldmanfan said:

Cassidy’s.  I did the funnel.  Many times.

SPIN THE WHEEL!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/31/2023 at 8:17 PM, Wacka said:

I was in high school, but I was there to see Moe.

On 7/28/2023 at 11:12 PM, Irv said:

• PJ's
  • Third Base
  • Stuffed Mushroom
  • Sutters Mill
  • The Library
  • Wilkison Pub
  • Molly Malones
  • Mickey Rats
  • Pinzones (Food)
  • Mikes Big Mouth (Food)
  • Rude Boyz
  • Others?   

I became of age in the early 90s…

Some of these I recall.

whrn I went to UB most stuff was at Smherst. Main Street departmrnts were med school of ehich statistics was under, and mathematics.  Very thing else was at Amherst.

I went to the UB main st bars..I can’t recall the names.

Manikins was a night club on NF blvd roughly across the street from where Target/ Barnes and noble/ Best Buy  plaza is located.  

a dive bar I regularly went to was Louie’s in NT.

thrn there were the Canadian ballet theaters ……

Edited by djp14150
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/28/2023 at 11:12 PM, Irv said:

• PJ's
  • Third Base
  • Stuffed Mushroom
  • Sutters Mill
  • The Library
  • Wilkison Pub
  • Molly Malones
  • Mickey Rats
  • Pinzones (Food)
  • Mikes Big Mouth (Food)
  • Rude Boyz
  • Others?    

I still have a couple of the PJ's 32oz plastic cups from $1 32oz molson nights

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

In the late 70s, there was a small joint that served wings - it was on the south side of Bailey between Millersport and Main. I have no idea what the name was but we used to go there for late night wings when I was in high school. 

Also, the original Mighty Taco on Hertel was a trip during the same time frame. One time we went sometime after midnight and parked at a gas station a block away.  I took a leak next to the car and a cop pulled in and gave me the ol “What if you mother looked out her window and saw that” routine. Had a packed bowl sitting in the ashtray that he never noticed. 

10 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

In the late 70s, there was a small joint that served wings - it was on the south side of Bailey between Millersport and Main. I have no idea what the name was but we used to go there for late night wings when I was in high school. 

Also, the original Mighty Taco on Hertel was a trip during the same time frame. One time we went sometime after midnight and parked at a gas station a block away.  I took a leak next to the car and a cop pulled in and gave me the ol “What if you mother looked out her window and saw that” routine. Had a packed bowl sitting in the ashtray that he never noticed. 

Hey!  I had to scrub the urine off the gas pump islands, ya maroon! 😡

The boss claimed that he could smell it. 🤨

In that stretch, Bailey Ave. runs about as true north - south as you can get.  I believe that wing joint was on the west side of the street.  Vaguely remember one being there when I would make Bocce Club pizza runs.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/6/2023 at 12:31 AM, BillsPride12 said:

Bar bouncers are hands down some of the biggest dipsh**'s I've ever seen in my life....most of the time they make situations much worse than actually helping.  One of the things I don't miss at all from the bar days 

I agree, and I wish people could have a few drinks in peace so we didn’t need them. Sadly, we are not that fortunate. Even worse, some of the people who get these jobs are just bullies who want some jollies. Not all, but a few. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.