McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Regular season prowess buys you a ticket into the playoffs.  It's important.  We haven't had a coach for a long time who could do that.  McD does it regularly.  

Football in the playoffs is played with the same rules with the same players.  It's not some special animal.  The only difference is that the 'schedule' gets tough.  All the teams are good.  Each game is, more-or-less, a 50-50 proposition. 

But the Bills - under McD - can beat anybody.  They just need to string enough victories together in the playoffs to walk away with a championship.  They haven't done that - yet.  But give them enough shots at it and they will.  

Again, absolutely no one has questioned our ability to do exceedingly well in the regular season, despite a division full of crap QBs.  We can't name one that's been any good since Brady left and we got annihilated going 0-6 vs. the Brady-led Pats, same coach.  

But again, you seem to imply that by pure coincidence and "enough shots" it will happen.  Is that our hope?  

So again, the question to you as well, is how many seasons of "enough shots" would you say that they get before we move on if they cannot get it done?  

Polian was here the same number of seasons as Beane now, McD the same as Levy's first 7 seasons.  We have Allen who's indisputably better than Kelly ever was, even in his best season, and even accounting for differences in the league then v. now.  

Levy's team in his first 7 seasons, went to the Super Bowl 4 times, won the AFC Championship four times (same thing I realize, just restating), was 5-1 in Divisional games, 1-0 in Wild-Card games, was 2-2 on the road in the playoffs, 2-0 in his last four seasons.  

McD's team in as many seasons has never gone to the Super Bowl, is 0-1 in AFC CGs, 1-2 in Divisional games, 0-4 in road playoff games, and 3-2 in Wild-Card games with two of those wins having been barely and another two against two teams led by a rookie QB (Jones) and Skylar Thompson (one of the down to the wire games also), two QBs destined for career backup status. 

So if I get this straight, you're favorably comparing the two, right?  

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Don't bother. You are forgetting that free agency didn't even exist for part of his tenure and there was the very mild "Plan B" Free Agency from 1989-1992, after which full free agency started.

Think it would be quite a bit easier back then considering there was nobody bidding against them for players they drafted.

The Bills last Super Bowl appearance coincided with the start of full free agency in 1993.

And you're completely ignoring the fact that we have Allen today, arguably the most unique QB, positively, in league history.  

Meanwhile, you conveniently skirt the fact that most of the best talent on this team has come from that same Free-Agency that you use to counter the argument.  

I understand though.  If there's no answer there's no answer.  

Edited by PBF81

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

This is going to be an unpopular take. But the timing is interesting. Could it be a message from ownership to the players, especially the black players. The GM and coach are my guys, you are a player aka the staff and need to know your place. Diggs speaking up and challenging the coach and GM stirred the pot. So Pegula needs to show that he stands with them. Who knows maybe some of the character guys talk bothers players. It can be viewed as a certain way to some of the black players. It was interesting in the comments around this extension, specifically calling out being a good Christian, etc. 

Nah, I think this is reading way too much into that. 

I mean I do think the "character" stuff is overblown given some of the guys they have brought in. But a lot of organizations do that, especially during rebuilds. Things change when you have a big QB contract and you become more desperate to bring in anyone who can help at your positions of need. 

I'm guessing Pegula hears and understands the chatter and the mounting pressure here, the Honeymoon period is over now. He wants to show confidence and have these guys not worry about it. I don't think it means they are completely safe though. 

7 minutes ago, julian said:

Of course there are no guarantees, but continuing to fail without change doesn’t sound logical even if you believe they’re good enough to win it sooner or later.

For me personally, if they haven’t won a title when it’s time to extend Allen on another monster deal, then it’s time to go in a different direction.

I reserve the right to be totally incorrect in my assumptions and opinions because I don’t know *****!!

LOL, thanks for the injection of humor at the end there.  It's very much appreciated and not lost on me.  :) 

Here's the point though, Allen can't play like he has forever, it's unlikely that he'll be playing that way for more than 4 or 5 more seasons, assuming he doesn't get injured, elbow or worse, so it's important to take full advantage of that, which we're simply not doing.  

Here's a hypothetical scenario.  Suppose we continue, post good to great regular seasons, continue to underperform/underachieve in the playoffs, and in three seasons Allen suffers an injury that disallows him from being anything close to what he was, whatever that injury may be.  

Suppose by that time all we've done is "gone to the playoffs" those three more seasons, gone 1-2 in the Wild-Card around, and lost in unceremonious fashion in the Divisional Rounds, which at the present time is the standard.  

What would be the talk amongst Bills Mafia do you think?  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, In Summary said:

McDermott has been consistently impressive.

Particularly against the Chiefs and Bengals in the playoffs.  The Miami game, shutting down 7th-round rookie Skylar Thompson while holding his offense to only 24 points, 31 total for the team, well, lets just say that Bill Belichick would be proud.  

I mean what more can one ask than "13 Seconds," a cataclysmis coaching blunder for the ages.  A few more of those and I agree, it will be "impressive."  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

If you do your homework and look back at the history of all sports you will find hundreds of coaches who have won during the regular season. But always come up short winning a championship. Every one eventually gets fired. I guess it boils down to how much patience you have as a fan or team owner?  Sean has come up short in 4 playoffs. What's the number till 80% of the fanbase demands a change?   5, 6 years....7 years...?.....and if some of you think I'm waiting 21 years for an Andy Reid epiphany from Sean, your dreaming.   I'll be long dead.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Why is it such a crime to acknowledge how well Beane and McDermott have done, while also opining that it’s not good enough?

Agree- roughly going backwards from McD

-lazy blowhard

-meathead

-winning is hard

-meathead

-incompetent

-etc. etc.

Marv Levy

Going backwards from Beane

-incompetent

-Senile

-sex offender

-incompetent

-incompetent

-etc. etc.

Bill Polian

This is the best pair we have had in 35 years-enjoy it

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Particularly against the Chiefs and Bengals in the playoffs.  The Miami game, shutting down Skylar "Who's He" Thompson, well, lets just say that Bill Belichick would be proud.  

I mean what more can one ask than "13 Seconds," a cataclysmis coaching blunder for the ages.  A few more of those and I agree, it will be "impressive."  

If Belichick ever left NE, I would hope Terry throws a blank check at him. Bill + Allen = multiple Super Bowl championships. 

Thrilled we locked up Beane.

Not thrilled about McDermott, but the two seem tethered together ... so I'll take that package deal all day.

It's also nice to put all of the hot seat speculation to bed. Let's go win the damn thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If Belichick ever left NE, I would hope Terry throws a blank check at him. Bill + Allen = multiple Super Bowl championships. 

I'm not sure about that, I'm well into the Brady entirely made Belichick rather than Belichick made Brady camp.  I think that the jury's pretty much come back on that as well.  Belichick is what, 1-2 in playoff games w/o Brady and has a track record no better than McD's, worse even, in that regard.  He's only made the playoffs in 2 of 10 seasons, getting blown out in losses in both, in his other ten seasons of coaching w/o Brady at QB.  

I'll PM you as to who I'd have my eye on if we were open to a change after this season, which we're not.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Why is it such a crime to acknowledge how well Beane and McDermott have done, while also opining that it’s not good enough?

I guess I have a bit of a problem with the "not good enough" part.  The Bills are now a perennial contender -- isn't that all anyone can realistically hope for in this league?

If you are going to say that only a Super Bowl victory defines success, I guess that's one perspective...I just don't look at it that way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I'm not sure about that, I'm well into the Brady entirely made Belichick rather than Belichick made Brady camp.  I think that the jury's pretty much come back on that as well.  Belichick is what, 1-2 in playoff games w/o Brady and has a track record no better than McD's, worse even, in that regard.  He's only made the playoffs in 2 of 10 seasons, getting blown out in losses in both, in his other ten seasons of coaching w/o Brady at QB.  

I'll PM you as to who I'd have my eye on if we were open to a change after this season, which we're not.  

Maybe. But the record speaks for itself when Bill had an elite level franchise QB. Going from the GOAT to Jones is a big drop-off.

Coach and GM aside I find it interesting that so many fans can't enjoy a team that wins so many games. I've criticized the team in areas I think we may have them overrated but in spite of that they've won a lot of games lately. Are some fans of championships more than fans of football..... Just asking?

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

This is going to be an unpopular take. But the timing is interesting. Could it be a message from ownership to the players, especially the black players. The GM and coach are my guys, you are a player aka the staff and need to know your place. Diggs speaking up and challenging the coach and GM stirred the pot. So Pegula needs to show that he stands with them. Who knows maybe some of the character guys talk bothers players. It can be viewed as a certain way to some of the black players. It was interesting in the comments around this extension, specifically calling out being a good Christian, etc. 

image.png

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Maybe. But the record speaks for itself when Bill had an elite level franchise QB. Going from the GOAT to Jones is a big drop-off.

I'd rather have a coach that's proven he can at least be above average w/o a franchise QB.  Belichick doesn't even have a winning record.  

He's 77-87 w/o Brady, two playoff appearances, got killed in both losses, and therefore has one playoff win, over the Bledsoe-led Pats, in the WC Round while he was at Cleveland.  

Like McD, he's lucky he lucked into Brady.  He can thank Mo Lewis for that.  He was stuck on Bledsoe like McD was stuck on Peterman.  

Oh, for **** sake. 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

Coach and GM aside I find it interesting that so many fans can't enjoy a team that wins so many games. I've criticized the team in areas I think we may have them overrated but in spite of that they've won a lot of games lately. Are some fans of championships more than fans of football..... Just asking?

Our standard as fans back in the '90s was a lot different.  

The drought era took its toll on the fans here.  Now a good regular season record and simply "making the playoffs" is good enough.  

I remember being massively dejected with every Super Bowl loss except for the Skins one, which I kind of expected.  Lead foot Rypien had the best or one of the best OLs in NFL history.  

44 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You're skirting and making excuses, not answering the question.  So we'll take another approach, I'll cater to your arguments.  

To start, McNabb also wasn't great, he was hardly Favre, Manning, or Warner either, much less Brady, his peers in those days.  In fact, McNabb was a pretty average, at best, QB.  Likening him to Newton is fair, they both had similar trajectories.  

So let's rephrase the question, how would Reid have done with Favre, Warner, or Manning at QB?   I mercifully left Brady off of there for you.  ;) 

BTW, would we even be having this conversation if a QB the caliber of McNabb had been drafted by Beane instead of Allen?  I don't think so.  

I can't answer the question as there's no way to know if the Eagles would have won a SB with Allen.  Would they have been a better team, highly likely yes, but still no guarantees they'd have won it all.  McNabb was better than average.  While not at the level of Farve, Manning and Brady, he was likely in the next tier at that time.  Personally I never really was that impressed with Warner, it took him how long to get into the NFL?  One list I just found had McNabb listed 45th overall and Warner 42nd.

My overall take on this subject is will the Bills win a SB with McD, who knows as in spite of what anyone feels about him as a coach, it also takes some luck and timing to be perfect to win it all.  Maybe McD will never improve on some of the issues that seemed to have plagued him and they won't ever win it.  Likely by 2025 if he doesn't win he stands a good chance of getting fired.

McD is also tied for 6th on longest tenured coaches in the league.  There's a number of teams that have fired/hired coaches that were as good maybe even better than the Bills were, but didn't win it either.  Green bay had Arron Rodgers, Dallas has Dak.  If it's so easy to find a great HC to win a SB, why haven't all the teams figured that out?  The odds are much better at the team getting worse than better if you let go of McD just based on hoe many teams change HC due to not winning.  Yes these teams didn't have a Josh Allen, but it's not all QB either.   Just because the Bills have Allen doesn't mean another coach would win the SB either.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I laughed when I heard the news for all the people telling me Terry has McDermott on a short leash since the season ended.  The guy grew up a Steelers fan.  He sees first hand the way patience and stability in an organization eventually produces results.

8 minutes ago, eball said:

I guess I have a bit of a problem with the "not good enough" part.  The Bills are now a perennial contender -- isn't that all anyone can realistically hope for in this league?

If you are going to say that only a Super Bowl victory defines success, I guess that's one perspective...I just don't look at it that way.

I would disagree. If you have an elite QB and can't win a SB, to me that is not a successful outcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

The drought era took its toll on the fans here.  Now a good regular season record and simply "making the playoffs" is good enough.  

I remember being massively dejected with every Super Bowl loss except for the Skins one, which I kind of expected.  Lead foot Rypien had the best or one of the best OLs in NFL history.  

I’m glad you don’t let bad memories from 30 years ago cloud your judgement.  I experienced all that too but our perception of Levy greatly changes if Norwood makes that kick.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it shows the seat is a LOT cooler than a lot of fans want it to be and the media have speculated it is. 

I see almost no way this regime doesn't remain into 2024 at the very least. And the likelihood is the rope is a fair bit longer. Part of the reason why is surely that Terry knows he isn't great at these appointments. For all that McD and Beane ain't perfect and there are legit holes you can pick in both, they are overwhelmingly the two best hires that Pegs has made across multiple attempts for two franchises. 

Terry also struck gold with Kevyn Adams and Don Granato with the Sabres. Of course the lacrosse Bandits are champions again.

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'd rather have a coach that's proven he can at least be above average w/o a franchise QB.  Belichick doesn't even have a winning record.  

He's 77-87 w/o Brady, two playoff appearances, got killed in both losses, and therefore has one playoff win, over the Bledsoe-led Pats, in the WC Round while he was at Cleveland.  

Like McD, he's lucky he lucked into Brady.  He can thank Mo Lewis for that.  He was stuck on Bledsoe like McD was stuck on Peterman.  

He did get the Pats into the playoffs with Jones. Of course, the Bills kicked their ass. With Belichick they don't lose that 16-0 lead at Houston. 13 seconds wouldn't happen. Last year against the Bengals would have probably been a better game. Bill is not only a better HC then Sean, but he is also a better DC. He would have made in game adjustments that would have slowed the Bengals down. He actually did that last year in the Bengals-Pats game. The Bengals jumped out to a huge lead, but the Pats fought their way back and almost won it in the end. If I remember correctly, they fumbled inside the Bengals 5. The Pats aren't nearly as good as the Bills.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I’m glad you don’t let bad memories from 30 years ago cloud your judgement.  I experienced all that too but our perception of Levy greatly changes if Norwood makes that kick.

True, but also entirely not the point.  

I've been around since the AFL days. Drought actually makes me enjoy this team more. Those Super Bowl losses were tough but I still got to watch a great team. I like football for the game . I would rather have consistent winner year to year than just one year run to the championship. Point is is the championship all we want. Of course we want a ring  but all is not lost if we don't get it either.

I don't think unpopular, it's ignorant and not even the size of an atom as far as possibilities.  

Cole Beasley is white and stirred the pot.  Unless you don't think Beasley is white because he raps.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Players sign with the Bills become they think they will win a ring. Anyone remember what free agency was like doing the playoff drought? I do.

You mean when we thought a backup TE from Washington (Robert Royal) was going to be a difference maker here? Or that getting an injured Shawne Merriman was a solution to finding a pass rusher?

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He did get the Pats into the playoffs with Jones. Of course, the Bills kicked their ass. With Belichick they don't lose that 16-0 lead at Houston. 13 seconds wouldn't happen. Last year against the Bengals would have probably been a better game. Bill is not only a better HC then Sean, but he is also a better DC. He would have made in game adjustments that would have slowed the Bengals down. He actually did that last year in the Bengals-Pats game. The Bengals jumped out to a huge lead, but the Pats fought their way back and almost won it in the end. If I remember correctly, they fumbled inside the Bengals 5. The Pats aren't nearly as good as the Bills.

Like McD in 2017 & 2019, Belichick got in on an easy schedule with 8 of his wins coming from non-playoff teams and 7 of them coming from mostly the worst teams all with losing records.  As with any coach, I'm not going to hand out particularly credit for capitalizing on an easy schedule, the "you can only play who's on the schedule" rap aside.  That's true, but it does not alter things one iota.  He got obliterated in those playoffs too, which says more than beating 8 easy teams en route to 10 wins.  

Anyway, no interest in debating McD v. BB, or even BB otherwise.  The fact stands, that in 10 other seasons without Brady, Belichick's track record as a head coach wouldn't have gotten him anything else other than another DC job.  Meanwhile, Brady went on to win another SB with a relatively average on a good day head coach, while leading the Bucs to a 32-18 record otherwise, something that that franchise has never achieved in its entire existence.  

8 minutes ago, Radar said:

I've been around since the AFL days. Drought actually makes me enjoy this team more. Those Super Bowl losses were tough but I still got to watch a great team. I like football for the game . I would rather have consistent winner year to year than just one year run to the championship. Point is is the championship all we want. Of course we want a ring  but all is not lost if we don't get it either.

Again, not really the point.  

The question remains, is the talent on this team being optimized?  

it'd be a great poll question.  Go ahead and pose it.  

32 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's not. It's also met so many times with "well do you want to go back to the drought years???" As if these are the only two options. 

With a decline in playoff success the last two years while the coach on his side of the ball has been given an elite level of resources and has failed us tremendously every single year in the playoffs. 

I understand what you're saying but I do think it's more complicated than that. There is an expectation of going all the way when you have an elite QB. 

Do you think the Pegulas and the rest of the organization don’t have that expectation as well? Should they just fire a coach with the third best record over the last five years and expect the new coach to immediately win it all? An initial regression is more likely. You and others think McBeane can’t get us there and that’s understandable, but Pegula choosing to reward them for establishing a winning tradition after years of misery is also every bit as understandable.  

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Players sign with the Bills become they think they will win a ring. Anyone remember what free agency was like doing the playoff drought? I do.

Yeah we remember that you were always telling us how good we all had it during the drought and that we should be ashamed of expecting any actual success.

True story.

The drought was your baby now you are calling it ugly.  For shame! :beer:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, eball said:

I think forward progress is all I’m looking for. 

As Allen has gotten more experienced, and gotten more/better weapons at his disposal, my expectation was - at the very least - additional AFCCG appearances. 

The Bills have been going in the other direction. 

Speaking only for myself, this is what concerns me. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Excuse me? Leave your f***ing racist remarks somewhere else you giant sack of horse manure.

I was born in Buffalo and lived here most of my 45+ years. My father is from Turkey. And yes, he did it the right way, with a green card and is now a naturalized citizen if you need to know before you start trying to hunt him down for being an illegal and call ICE, I thought I'd save you the trouble.

Lol.lil sensitive aren't ya? Well how are you such a football dunce unless just learning? All walks of life outside the states have the same knowledge.. isn't about race

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Terry also struck gold with Kevyn Adams and Don Granato with the Sabres. Of course the lacrosse Bandits are champions again.

I know nothing about hockey, but I would say before you can declare him having struck gold they at least need to make the playoffs. I get it the Sabres looked like they were heading in the right direction, but before you can even begin to put those two in the conversation with McD and Beane they need some success beyond just stop the team being a perennial laughing stock. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.