All-Pro DT Chris Jones not at Chiefs Mandatory Minicamp

Big Turk

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

A lot of good players like Humphrey and Smith on their OL will be needing new deals soon.. and likely won't be cheap. 

A guard and a center shouldn't enter the conversation when you're talking about a proven elite pass rusher. Other than Jones they have no one in their front 4 that offenses have to game plan around. I guess if they want to win all out shootouts that's one strategy but they tried that in 2018 and they fell short of the ultimate goal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Impossible to know plus that was last year and he played. 

At some point you have to rebuild Super Bowl rosters. NE traded Richard Seymour. It hurt definitely but they recovered. Trading Jones is the next step  for KC. They will recover.

Of course it’s impossible to “know”.  Jones wreaked havoc vs Cinci.  In a game decided by a late hit penalty, my money is on Cinci winning that game if Jones wasn’t playing.

He’s a true difference maker

• Agree 5

Almost starting to wonder if this Jones situation is all part of the 'script' this year for Mahomes to further reach godlike status and win another SB without Jones playing all or most of the season.

Either way like I've said before, I'm certainly not upset about this situation and hope Jones sticks to his guns and drags this out well into the regular season.

58 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Of course it’s impossible to “know”.  Jones wreaked havoc vs Cinci.  In a game decided by a late hit penalty, my money is on Cinci winning that game if Jones wasn’t playing.

He’s a true difference maker

Why are people telling me how great Chris Jones is? He’s a great player. I’ve acknowledged that. But if I were the Chiefs GM I’m trading the 29 year old great DT for multiple picks instead of paying him nearly $30 million a season for multiple years.

Chiefs won 2 Super Bowls, he definitely helped. But they can reload and still win more without him. 

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Completely agree.  

It's why we went out and signed Von.  We were desperately searching for that elite level difference maker on Defense. 

Chris Jones has been that for KC.. and they 100% lose to the Bengals in the AFC CG without him.  As good as Mahomes/Kelce are, they can't do it alone, and watching that game made it abundantly clear that Chris Jones was the difference between winning and losing. 

I'd even argue that an elite DT is worth more than an elite EDGE.  Guys like Chris Jones and Aaron Donald completely destroy and/or occupy the middle of an OL, thus allowing everyone else to play off of them. 

1,000% agree.  Thing is there are so few elite enough to meet that standard. I'd add Vita Vea to the list. Dude is a game wrecker

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why are people telling me how great Chris Jones is? He’s a great player. I’ve acknowledged that. But if I were the Chiefs GM I’m trading the 29 year old great DT for multiple picks instead of paying him nearly $30 million a season for multiple years.

Chiefs won 2 Super Bowls, he definitely helped. But they can reload and still win more without him. 

I dunno, probably because they disagree with your assessment that it would be wise to trade him.  

I’d give him 90M over the next 3 years

long term, the bills will be better off if the chiefs sign the massive jones contract imo. next year, kc is going to dump MVS and then will have the cheapest WR group in the league. if justyn ross becomes the real deal - and it seems he might - and if rashee rice is the real deal - and it seems he might be - the kc receiving corps is going to be young/cheap for a very long time. they're about to keep seven WRs and probably will have at least one signed away. 

getting rid of jones will get them more picks (9 of 10 made the roster last year, 7 of 7 will make the roster this year), tons of cap flexibility etc.

Edited by beebe

38 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I dunno, probably because they disagree with your assessment that it would be wise to trade him.  

I’d give him 90M over the next 3 years

I don’t think KC would do this. But I hope they do because it would cripple their cap for the next few years on a player that will most likely be on the decline. 

16 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I don’t think KC would do this. But I hope they do because it would cripple their cap for the next few years on a player that will most likely be on the decline. 

He was better than ever last season. He’s 29.  3 year contract and he’ll be 31.  If I were them I would keep Jones and let Creed go.  Every great team will be somewhat crippled while trying to stay on top.  

I think Chris Jones is elite and if he leaves, their D will take a huge dump. 

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He was better than ever last season. He’s 29.  3 year contract and he’ll be 31.  If I were them I would keep Jones and let Creed go.  Every great team will be somewhat crippled while trying to stay on top.  

I think Chris Jones is elite and if he leaves, their D will take a huge dump. 

Oh I agree. He’s an elite player who’s a vital center piece to KC’s defense. He’s also turning 30 this year and DTs’ productions drop off drastically after 30. Creed and Trey Smith are due. Also their stud MLB and CB1.  They’ve drafted really well the last few years and it’s about time to pay those guys. Not extending CJ would allows them to keep a few.

However it turns out it’s great to see the champs have some turmoil! This can only help all the other AFC teams including the Bills!

7 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Oh I agree. He’s an elite player who’s a vital center piece to KC’s defense. He’s also turning 30 this year and DTs’ productions drop off drastically after 30. Creed and Trey Smith are due. Also their stud MLB and CB1.  They’ve drafted really well the last few years and it’s about time to pay those guys. Not extending CJ would allows them to keep a few.

However it turns out it’s great to see the champs have some turmoil! This can only help all the other AFC teams including the Bills!

He’s turning 30 next year.  I’ll take the elite pass rushing/run stopping DT over a pro bowl C and solid MLB every day of the week and 5 times on Sunday.  

Creed, Bolton and Sneed are all minor pieces when compared to the impact Jones makes.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Lets go Lions.. Saw a stat - with Jones KC was like 5 or 6th in pressure.  Without him they're 28th. Plus Clark is gone..

Yeah, he changes their defense.  I'm curious to see how much the line moves when it's announced he's not playing.

And this is likely his last contract.  I can see him missing half the season and then becoming an UFA next year.

Crazy but I actually think this could be the thread that unravels the Chiefs 23 season. More points given up, means defense spends more time on field, offense less. Chiefs O will need to score even more points with less clock, putting strain on aging TE Kelce. Mahomes can make magic happen, but he’s not a God, just a magician. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This article from Over The Cap sheds some light on why the Chiefs and Chris Jones are so far apart:

https://overthecap.com/thoughts-on-the-chiefs-offer-to-chris-jones

Essentially teams always value contracts based on new money given out above the player's current contract, not on the total value of the new contract. Under that system of valuation, what Chris Jones is asking for exceeds the value that Aaron Donald got in his most recent contract. The Chiefs don't want to pay him more than Aaron Donald so the two sides are not close right now.

Either way he will have to report in week 8 to get credit for the final year of his contract so this won't completely tank their season, but if we're lucky they'll start off slower than anticipated.

Edited by HappyDays

25 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Having helped that city win two Super Bowls in recent years I don't see him feeling bad about holding out, barring some change I'd expect him to follow through with what he said he'd do.

I don't either.  He'll get paid ~$10M by missing half the season and returning in time to accrue a season to get to UFA.  The ~$10M he loses will be more than made up for many times over in his next contract with another team.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Crazy but I actually think this could be the thread that unravels the Chiefs 23 season. More points given up, means defense spends more time on field, offense less. Chiefs O will need to score even more points with less clock, putting strain on aging TE Kelce. Mahomes can make magic happen, but he’s not a God, just a magician. 

Yes and no. I mean, it will hurt them if he sticks to his word and sits until week 8 if no agreement is made. But if he finally reports then he will be plenty fresh and rested for the playoff run and beyond.  8 weeks of bumps, bruises and exhaustion taken away and fresh as a daisy.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes and no. I mean, it will hurt them if he sticks to his word and sits until week 8 if no agreement is made. But if he finally reports then he will be plenty fresh and rested for the playoff run and beyond.  8 weeks of bumps, bruises and exhaustion taken away and fresh as a daisy.

But for the weeks he is gone that does damage to the rest of the roster. See 22 Bills after Von went down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.