Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

Maybe he is just wildly embarrassed that his all star basketball game could barely fill a HS gym to 50% capacity?

Diggs isn’t the national draw he thinks he is fame wise. I think Gabe Davis is more “famous. Davis is rolling with Jay-Z, Bert Kreicher, Von Miller, and a bunch of other people who are at or near the top of the pop culture and sports pyramid at the moment. Diggs isn’t. 

Stef is wildly talented. He’s an all pro. But he’s not famous like other players are. 

It was meant to be was a tongue in cheek joke about Diggs. But it’s also true. 

Just now, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Any opinion on the wording "very concerned" based off the question that was asked was "how concerned are you?" 

Seems like it was a good question to dodge like McDermott does with 75% of all the other questions he’s asked.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Any opinion on the wording "very concerned" based off the question that was asked was "how concerned are you?" 

This has fallen on deaf ears all day.  It was a leading question that was bound to end up a nightmare in terms of internet/news reporting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

both can be true, toss in chad hall leaving, Ty Dunne article saying the coaching staff didn't talk about 13 seconds with the team, Diggs last off season wanted to know why we are winning it all, why do we have these issues - do you think he got answers from McD? There are likely lots of reasons.

It does feel like there is something between him and Josh right now, how do you go from I'm thankful for you on Thanksgiving to this? It just feels like something went down and it's personal

I agree with that, the dude I was quoting said it was 100% about Dorsey 

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Does he/she know what the issue is/was?

No but they are hoping to find out tomorrow. Right now they think it is just Diggs being dramatic and turning a small issue into a big one. But they don't know the exact nature of the issue.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DieHardFan said:

(Probably something similar posted somewhere but I'm not slogging thru 78+ pages of sky is falling posts)

Based on his 2023 cap hit of $14.8M, it's analogous to someone making $100K losing $108, then $216...

hey man I wouldn’t want to lose that… that’s like 6 beers at the stadium!

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Maybe he is just wildly embarrassed that his all star basketball game could barely fill a HS gym to 50% capacity?

Diggs isn’t the national draw he thinks he is fame wise. I think Gabe Davis is more “famous. Davis is rolling with Jay-Z, Bert Kreicher, Von Miller, and a bunch of other people who are at or near the top of the pop culture and sports pyramid at the moment. Diggs isn’t. 

Stef is wildly talented. He’s an all pro. But he’s not famous like other players are. 

It was meant to be was a tongue in cheek joke about Diggs. But it’s also true. 

To be fair, though, Diggs has been getting some good airplay with national ads.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Maybe Josh took his girl. 

Which one? 

Diggs is the guy who notably checked two women into the same hotel for Valentine's Day, both into rooms fitted out with balloons, roses, chocolates, etc.

His personal assistant must lead an interesting life.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NoSaint said:

I’m not confident diggs knows 

Diggs is in full on prove a point mode. But I agree, I’m not even sure Diggs is exactly sure of what the point is anymore. Right now I think he’s locked in on “I am HIM, so you better start treating me like HIM”. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Maybe Josh took his girl. 

This reminds me of the university of Texas back in the day. Ricky Williams told Shannon Sharpe years ago that his college girlfriend had cheated on him with the quarterback of his own team the year he won the heisman

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

One more ***** 0 as an o and I’m going to lose my mind.

Get over yourself.  If this is the extent of your problems, you're very lucky.

IS this really what this country has deteriorated into?  Bitching about the wrong character on a computer?

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No but they are hoping to find out tomorrow. Right now they think it is just Diggs being dramatic and turning a small issue into a big one. But they don't know the exact nature of the issue.

If, and that’s if, he’s been meeting with McD and Beane the last 2 days I would think they know.

“Bakari said Diggs spent the past two days meeting with McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane”

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Diggs is in full on prove a point mode. But I agree, I’m not even sure Diggs is exactly sure of what the point is anymore. Right now I think he’s locked in on “I am HIM, so you better start treating me like HIM”. 

That would kind of be a shame, since I was hoping there was a bit of truth to the takes from the folks who said Josh was Done with Diggs diva behavior and Diggs was going to have to adjust.

Josh's presser pretty much didn't align with that take.

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This has fallen on deaf ears all day.  It was a leading question that was bound to end up a nightmare in terms of internet/news reporting.

And if you add in the timing of the question, first as he is sitting down. It led to a very casual response, almost like he was just chatting with a friend in the hallway

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Feels like I nailed it! Haha

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’m not confident diggs knows 

Weirdly enough this may be the correct answer. He started on this path as soon as the season was over and now he is uncomfortable and doesn't know how to get back. His attitude kind of spiraled out of control and he feels trapped. That is basically what my source believes. Hopefully more clarity tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

That would kind of be a shame, since I was hoping there was a bit of truth to the takes from the folks who said Josh was Done with Diggs diva behavior and Diggs was going to have to adjust.

Josh's presser pretty much didn't align with that take.

I actually thought it did. The full take was that Josh made a pattern of changing his behavior not to upset Diggs.

I thought Josh’s presser was full on walking on egg shells and making sure Stef was happy. Which is where the Diggs/Allen diva rumor started. 

Isn’t the rumor that the night before the Bengals playoff game last year, Josh’s gf found out that Josh got some bartender pregnant and they had a huge fight and he got no sleep thats why he played bad. I’m guessing Diggs knew all about this and blames Josh for screwing up another year from getting to the big dance. Not that it was Josh’s fault the year prior obviously. Diggs is extremely competitive and knows his opportunities are dwindling as he gets up there in age. 

We’re gonna need to keep an extra vet WR this season

as they’ll not be able

to rely on Diggs whatsoever for the entirety of this campaign. He’s emotionally unstable. The moment it crosses a line, suspend him and hope it galvanizes the team. Talk about the ultimate Hail Mary…

Screw you man, grow up. Crapping away an opportunity for complete nonsense. And whatever it is, unless Allen knocked up his girl, it’s nonsense. The past season is over, it’ll be a new team with 15% turnover, at least. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Isn’t the rumor that the night before the Bengals playoff game last year, Josh’s gf found out that Josh got some bartender pregnant and they had a huge fight and he got no sleep thats why he played bad. I’m guessing Diggs knew all about this and blames Josh for screwing up another year from getting to the big dance. Not that it was Josh’s fault the year prior obviously. Diggs is extremely competitive and knows his opportunities are dwindling as he gets up there in age. 

That is the rumor. According to one Orchard Park cop that half the city apparently knows.

• Haha (+1) 5

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I think @BADOLBILZ was the poster. It was never specified.  But one can draw his own conclusions based upon recent tabloid fodder. That news, I suspect, relates to the OPPD visit to the Allen homestead at some point toward or at the end of the season.  

Yeah I felt strongly at the time that something was up with Allen that was leaving him distracted and unfocused.   I thoroughly remember being in that state in my early 20's and what it was about.   I really didn't see that coming with Allen.   She wouldn't have been my cup of tea in his situation but he sure seemed pretty settled in with his GF.    

If the rumors are even remotely true what was going on was even worse than I thought.    With all the life and death sh!t that happened in December and January it kinda' got lost in the shuffle.    

It very well could have something to do with this Diggs situation.   Diggs has a baby mama and unabashedly juggles multiple women at the same time and still is the same guy on the field every week.  So maybe he has lost some respect for JA considering how compromised Allen was over some female related drama.   I can see Diggs brooding over this with the like minds he probably surrounds himself with all offseason and just getting angrier over how badly Allen handled himself and questioning whether he deserves the say in the organization that he has while Diggs opinion isn't taken into account much as a WR.   That macho BS would track with Allen's language about the situation and McDermott's frustration about having to listen to Diggs telling him his rationale at length and not having some sort of resolution still. :lol:

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Weirdly enough this may be the correct answer. He started on this path as soon as the season was over and now he is uncomfortable and doesn't know how to get back. His attitude kind of spiraled out of control and he feels trapped. That is basically what my source believes. Hopefully more clarity tomorrow.

I wonder what they’ve been talking about for the past 2 days then?

“Bakari said Diggs spent the past two days meeting with McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane”

1 minute ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

as they’ll not be able

to rely on Diggs whatsoever for the entirety of this campaign. He’s emotionally unstable. The moment it crosses a line, suspend him and hope it galvanizes the team. Talk about the ultimate Hail Mary…

Screw you man, grow up. Crapping away an opportunity for complete nonsense. And whatever it is, unless Allen knocked up his girl, it’s nonsense. The past season is over, it’ll be a new team with 15% turnover, at least. 

Let’s pump the breaks. He’s not Antonio Brown.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think this is all: the Bills gave Diggs a lot of space, now he's back and they're just hashing out frustrations he has, which I believe are rightfully so. I'm curious how the next 24 hours go. And I remind myself make up sex is the best sex. 🏆🏆🏆

If Diggs wanted out, he wouldn't have waited this long and he wouldn't have made himself present in the building. To me, the fact he did make himself shows they just need to simply address some things and get on the same page, which they appear to be working on. I'm fine with giving him some of that autonomy, I really am, because I do believe he's the best WR in the league. Last year I kept repeating that and everyone kept coming after me with replies about Cooper Kupp even though Kupp was putting up less than Gabe Davis numbers. I have Bickering Bills vibes with this and let's all look forward to the makeup sex. 😇 Have a beer, smoke some lettuce, and enjoy the weather. The Bills still won 13 games last year with all the bs. 

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Honestly, the path started during the season. There were multiple times during the regular season that Diggs was visibly upset on the sidelines. Who can forget McDermott consoling him during...I believe it was the first half of the first Miami game. Then he let that CB from the Packers get in his head. Then had a couple more instances where he was upset. It culminated against the Bengals in the playoffs for sure...but there was a ton leading up to it from early on.  It's become a pattern of his behavior and it's often dismissed because he "cares too much".

In all seriousness at some point if it continues it's fair to be concerned about his mental health. 

Weirdly enough this may be the correct answer. He started on this path as soon as the season was over and now he is uncomfortable and doesn't know how to get back. His attitude kind of spiraled out of control and he feels trapped.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

I don't think it has anything to do with Josh, beyond him not going against Dorsey's game plan when things weren't working in the Cinci game.

Ultimately, I think it's between him and McDermott and maybe Dorsey. I think McDermott probably strong handed Diggs when he arrived because of his actions and it re-opened old wounds and he peaced out for the day. The thing that really has me thinking it's a McDermott thing is that he consistently lies to the press or downplays things to specifically not cause distractions. He could have easily said that Diggs arrived but then was excused for the rest of the day for personal reasons. He specifically chose to throw him under the bus. That's very out of character for McDermott and speaks to a personal issue to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can’t be completely sure, but if this is true, Stef could well be cappin. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

he’s a ferocious competitor but also not particularly mature… that he’s dug himself in deep over something dumb and doesn’t have an easy path to save face is totally believable, whether it’s conscious on his part or not. 

the art will be giving him an off ramp. I’m not sure McD or Josh made particularly great comments if that’s an accurate assessment but we will see.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

I wonder what they’ve been talking about for the past 2 days then?

I suspect that was probably brief and in passing, not 16 hours in a room hashing things out 

• Disagree 1

53 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

We should be doing that anyway!  Most important position on the team after qb.

We brought in several veteran wide receivers this year, and every one of our picks went to a position that made sense with our top two draft picks going to the offense

It would be nice if we had five or six more picks in the draft, but what are you going to do?

9 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

as they’ll not be able

I just love the off-season

11 minutes ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

plot hole: the internet knew that rumor in November, so I doubt “she found out” I’m January 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.