Should the Bills move Milano to MLB?

Bobby Hooks

Alright, so hear me out. When we drafted Dorian Williams, i was like “cool, we got our guy!” But was surprised to hear that they think of him more like an olb. 

Does anyone else think they may try to shift Milano to the middle and have Dorian take his spot? 

I know Milano doesn’t have the prototypical size, but McDermott loves him and is always in his ear on the sidelines. 

The communication aspect would be taken care of (as I kind of see him taking the qb of the defense role already this season), and he’s definitely got the goods in the coverage aspects of the job. 

He’s got great instincts. Idk, maybe there’s a piece I haven’t considered but I just don’t know what they plan to do at the position. Maybe someone already on the roster for obvious running downs, and a change-up for passing downs? 

• Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I heard they are moving Benford from CB to S to MLB. McDermott playing his own 4D chess. 

A mixture of Wrecks and NOLA Greggggg:

Blitz your DBs, but have your LBs drop back into coverage.  Pay 💵💵💵 to injure and maim 'da other guys'. 
🤔🙄

7 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I heard they are moving Benford from CB to S to MLB. McDermott playing his own 4D chess. 

Maybe they’re unleashing a brand new hybrid mlb/olb roving backer scheme?! 

You don’t know who the mlb is until it’s too late! 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

not sure if it's his best position or if he could take the added pounding inside(if the D Line keeps him clean it would be great) but he has better instincts than Edmunds so i think the run D would improve .

i think they experiment in camp a bit but I expect Milano will be outside game 1 and any 1 of 3 other guys will be at MLB, all who will probable be manipulated by Mahomes the same way Truman was at a 10th of the cost. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

i was on record stating this almost immediately williams is not our MLB.  got roasted, too.

milano will move to the middle in a hybrid role. he will not be the same player he has been for us. i fear this will beat him up and age him quickly.

klein will fill in for the traditional mlb role on run downs. we really could use a donta hightower type for run downs. even a brandon spikes. if we had takeo spikes i'd pop a rod 6 to midnight faster than a blink of an eye.

regardless, the middle of this defense is now a liability and hoping that our front 3 / 4 has improved enough to cover this up. i am not sure they have.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

As someone posted the other day, how is there really a true middle LB when there are only two of them on the field to start with?  

I think overall there will be more 2 LB's 3 Lineman, 3 CB and 3S whenever in passing downs and sounds like Williams would be fine in passing downs. Klein isn't a bad LB as long as he's not asked to cover anyone.  With 3 safety's on field, he doesn't need to.  Likely the lineman that will come out will be Jones.  Throw in a blitzer coming form anyone on any given play.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, boyst said:

i was on record stating this almost immediately williams is not our MLB.  got roasted, too.

milano will move to the middle in a hybrid role. he will not be the same player he has been for us. i fear this will beat him up and age him quickly.

klein will fill in for the traditional mlb role on run downs. we really could use a donta hightower type for run downs. even a brandon spikes. if we had takeo spikes i'd pop a rod 6 to midnight faster than a blink of an eye.

regardless, the middle of this defense is now a liability and hoping that our front 3 / 4 has improved enough to cover this up. i am not sure they have.

Those days are gone. There really aren't run downs anymore. The minute you put players like that on the field you get burned.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

As someone posted the other day, how is there really a true middle LB when there are only two of them on the field to start with?  

I think overall there will be more 2 LB's 3 Lineman, 3 CB and 3S whenever in passing downs and sounds like Williams would be fine in passing downs. Klein isn't a bad LB as long as he's not asked to cover anyone.  With 3 safety's on field, he doesn't need to.  Likely the lineman that will come out will be Jones.  Throw in a blitzer coming form anyone on any given play.

you may be on to something and others have posted/reported this as a way to counter the new game geared towards the passing offense. BIG on the line, fast behind it.

3 BIG D Linemen eating up space in the middle and taking on blockers

2 'traditional' LBs-right now that would be Milano and Miller who can stop the run, rush the passer and cover a bit

2 Nickel/LB Hybrid tweeners that can cover a TE/slot while supporting the run, Johnson and the rookie or Bernard or Benford?

2 outside corners- we are set

2 safeties- we have 2 of the best

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

you may be on to something and others have posted/reported this as a way to counter the new game geared towards the passing offense. BIG on the line, fast behind it.

3 BIG D Linemen eating up space in the middle and taking on blockers

2 'traditional' LBs-right now that would be Milano and Miller who can stop the run, rush the passer and cover a bit

2 Nickel/LB Hybrid tweeners that can cover a TE/slot while supporting the run, Johnson and the rookie or Bernard or Benford?

2 outside corners- we are set

2 safeties- we have 2 of the best

I don't see a scenario where we are going with 3 DL

We are better built team for the 4-3 even with our concerns at MLB

I could never see Von Miller playing a traditional LB role either. He is going to be up on the line and playing to his strength as a pass rusher backfield disruptor

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Alright, so hear me out. When we drafted Dorian Williams, i was like “cool, we got our guy!” But was surprised to hear that they think of him more like an olb. 

Does anyone else think they may try to shift Milano to the middle and have Dorian take his spot? 

I know Milano doesn’t have the prototypical size, but McDermott loves him and is always in his ear on the sidelines. 

The communication aspect would be taken care of (as I kind of see him taking the qb of the defense role already this season), and he’s definitely got the goods in the coverage aspects of the job. 

He’s got great instincts. Idk, maybe there’s a piece I haven’t considered but I just don’t know what they plan to do at the position. Maybe someone already on the roster for obvious running downs, and a change-up for passing downs? 

NO. This has been discussed. Milano is NOT a MLB,he is an excellent coverage WLB. Why would you disrupt BOTH LB spots?

I'm not convinced Edmunds replacement is on the roster,yet.. 

• Agree 1

I think this is just one of those things we'll have to wait and see on. Clearly Beane and McDermott are both keeping their plans a secret. They don't have anything to gain by telling reporters their plan for MLB.

They have flat out said... repeatedly....Milano will stay in his spot. They have flat out said.... repeatedly....that Dodson, Klein, Bernard and Spector will compete for the MLB spot. They have been a bit more ambiguous about Dorian Williams. Maybe this will help.

The 6 Stages of Grief:

Shock: Finding out Edmunds left for the huge payday

Denial. ..."Nah, they won't roll with what they have on the roster. They will draft one high"

Anger. ..."Why didn't they draft one high?!?!?"

Bargaining. ... You are here

Depression. ... "Oh no, we suck again"

Acceptance and hope. ..."Welp, guess we have what we have...maybe one of these guys won't be too bad"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I think the “starting Dorian Williams on the outside” comment by Beane was a way to take pressure off of the 3rd round rookie. If I am reading that correctly, then it is a smart move. I have to think the plan is to try him in the middle. 

• Like (+1) 2

Regarding Milano: see numerous posts above.

Regarding Williams: Beane said he'd be a special teams player at first. Since his natural position is WLB, he's probably being groomed as Milano's backup and possibly his replacement in a few years.

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

Whenever an original post starts with "hear me out", I have to post calling out the phrase "hear me out" and how the post is going to be lame, then I move on. 

Thank you? Hear me out, why is everyone so angry about this topic? 

16 minutes ago, drummernut74 said:

Beane has already said that Milano is not being moved from his spot

8 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

Matt Milano is an all pro outside LB. He will never be moved to ILB. McD and Beane has said as much

Both true... But I wonder who (maybe Milano) wears the green dot? Gotta be Milano or one of Poyer/Hyde I would think

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think the “starting Dorian Williams on the outside” comment by Beane was a way to take pressure off of the 3rd round rookie. If I am reading that correctly, then it is a smart move. I have to think the plan is to try him in the middle. 

When I started looking into him after we drafted him, it felt like a good fit to me. 

Then the comment was made and I was kinda bummed. I hope you’re right. 

13 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

Matt Milano is an all pro outside LB. He will never be moved to ILB. McD and Beane has said as much

But who’s to say he wouldn’t flourish in the mlb spot? 

If I’m Milano, I’d like to give it a shot. He’s got the goods, and who wouldn’t want to be an all-pro in both spots? 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

They have flat out said... repeatedly....Milano will stay in his spot. They have flat out said.... repeatedly....that Dodson, Klein, Bernard and Spector will compete for the MLB spot. They have been a bit more ambiguous about Dorian Williams. Maybe this will help.

The 6 Stages of Grief:

Shock: Finding out Edmunds left for the huge payday

Denial. ..."Nah, they won't roll with what they have on the roster. They will draft one high"

Anger. ..."Why didn't they draft one high?!?!?"

Bargaining. ... You are here

Depression. ... "Oh no, we suck again"

Acceptance and hope. ..."Welp, guess we have what we have...maybe one of these guys won't be too bad"

I think I’m more in the acceptance or hope. Accepted we have what we have, and hope there’s a plan I don’t quite see yet. 

They don’t think of him more of an OLB, they want him to start there to learn the defense. 

Im still betting we see more traditional 3 LBer sets this year now that we have 3 who can legitimately cover.

By years end I think we see Bernard - Williams - Milano take the field together when opponents aren’t using 3 WRs

I don't think so but you never know. It seems both Bernard and Williams are more suited to play Milano's position and Milano could likely handle a move to MLB, although the question would be, how effective could he be there?

Probably depends on if Milano playing like an All-Pro at his position and an MLB that isn't great is better than Milano playing merely good at MLB with Bernard/Williams at his spot in a more familiar and suitable role.

I'd say put Klein or Dodson at MLB and leave Milano where he is. Yeah we are going to be a little different but they played multiple games with Edmunds last year and went 4-0.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

They don’t think of him more of an OLB, they want him to start there to learn the defense. 

Im still betting we see more traditional 3 LBer sets this year now that we have 3 who can legitimately cover.

By years end I think we see Bernard - Williams - Milano take the field together when opponents aren’t using 3 WRs

yeah 4-3-4 seems probable

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think so but you never know. It seems both Bernard and Williams are more suited to play Milano's position and Milano could likely handle a move to MLB, although the question would be, how effective could he be there?

Probably depends on if Milano playing like an All-Pro at his position and an MLB that isn't great is better than Milano playing merely good at MLB with Bernard/Williams at his spot in a more familiar and suitable role.

I'd say put Klein or Dodson at MLB and leave Milano where he is. Yeah we are going to be a little different but they played multiple games with Edmunds last year and went 4-0.

Good points, idk, I guess I’m alone in thinking Milano could do really well in that spot. 

1 minute ago, Herb Nightly said:

Maybe it makes more sense to sign or trade for a MLB that can fill Edmunds spot...

I mean, there is a thing called the salary cap. I feel like even if they did trade or sign a guy the board would disapprove of the selection because he’s not the biggest name in the NFL. 

53 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I don't see a scenario where we are going with 3 DL

We are better built team for the 4-3 even with our concerns at MLB

I could never see Von Miller playing a traditional LB role either. He is going to be up on the line and playing to his strength as a pass rusher backfield disruptor

Miller played a 3-4 backer in Denver. his hand was on the ground half the time

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Those days are gone. There really aren't run downs anymore. The minute you put players like that on the field you get burned.

i don't disagree with this for 99% of the time. actually, maybe more, i don't know... 83.7%?

we face a 3rd and short and if we can run a nickel defense with a strong MLB for the run that Hightower or Spikes can handle between the tackles while the rest handle coverage it isn't so bad. the simplicity of our defense and playing so much nickel means that we often neglect the middle of the field and the importance of having a body that can cover a lot of ground. edmunds did that by his size and athleticism but lacked awareness and was pretty lousy - but he won't be easy to replace.

we don't have a middle linebacker on this roster that we know capable. klein is best served as an outside linebacker in most cases, milano, too.

33 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It would be very nice to have a good base 4-3 personnel group for when teams employ 2 TE sets or 21 personnel. I don’t know that we even have a LB other than Milano that I really want on the field right now though. Maybe Williams can be one of those guys and maybe Bernard develops. Klein and Dodson know their responsibilities but are otherwise limited.

One further thought on Williams: He’s light and is likely to have issues in the run game - especially taking on blocks - but we just added Poona Ford. If you’re going to have light LBers, then you want to put them behind big DTs - like Ford and Jones - to keep the OL busy. That is actually a pretty nice combo they put together. I hope it works out. 

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Roasting's popular around here.  The funny thing is that when the topic that the person is roasted for comes true, then it's the intellectual thougth-of-the-day that it didn't make sense.  

To your post, this is all a direct result of poor planning by Beane.  People defend Beane but there's no excuse or defense.  This is his mess.  Imagine if you will, Milano gets seriously injured ... we would instantly have the worst linebacking unit in the league.  

I'm quite curious how McD does this.  Time will tell.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.