Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

7 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Maybe the contractors don’t want live video of 10 of their union workers standing around a bon fire for an hour before work begins while they sip their morning coffee. 

Or the company's non-union owner lighting his cigar with $100 bills. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Heitz said:

OK, I see the roof, but now I'm noticing there are NO SIDES - THIS IS A COUNTY FAIR STADIUM!  TERRY IS RALPH!  HOW THEY HELL ARE THEY GOING TO KEEP THE RAIN OUT AND CONFUSE THE WIND WITH NO SIDES ON THIS THING!?!

Am I doing it right? :beer:

Aren't they building another side? I only see one side!

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

“Closer”?   Why then is the 1st row of seats in the lower bowl ~15-20’ farther away from the field?

They want to be sure to leave enough room for a running track in there, then if the Bills ever leave they can have track & field events! 😉

6 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

As long as the stadium is in Orchard Park, NY and not covered, the wind will be a MAJOR factor.  

What I've read from the engineers is that it is being built to block the wind and that it'll be nothing like the current stadium 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

What I've read from the engineers is that it is being built to block the wind and that it'll be nothing like the current stadium 

It’ll be a significant improvement over the current stadium as the end zones aren’t open. The entire new stadium is taller and much more enclosed. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/13/2024 at 6:59 PM, mrags said:

Been wondering that myself since about 9 months ago when reps were saying expect it in the spring time last year. Here we are a year later and still nothing 

They were hoping they'd win a Super Bowl before then so they could justify making the fee higher.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

This place is going to be tremendously unaffordable 

Honestly once Allen retires and the bills suck again I think they could have a very hard time selling out the stadium. 

Buffalo is too small of a market to support a bad team with high prices. 

Yes they sold out games during the drought years. But tickets were dirt cheap and people treated it like a party. 

Tickets will be much more expensive now. Plus the at home viewing experience is much better, and I think people are less willing to sit in garbage weather nowadays. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

The more north/south orientation and much shallower bowl alone will mitigate most of the wind factor and that’s before adding the wind confusing elements in the construction. 

11 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

They were hoping they'd win a Super Bowl before then so they could justify making the fee higher.

I’d imagine you are 1000000000% right on that 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The more north/south orientation and much shallower bowl alone will mitigate most of the wind factor and that’s before adding the wind confusing elements in the construction. 

Confused Confusion GIF

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Look at the first row of seats for old stadium, and then compare with new stadium overlay. 

It’s probably because they chinced out and literally copied the main blueprints for Tottenheim and because it’s a soccer field it’s larger. Pegula is cheap, couldn’t even pay for a new design 

19 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Look at the first row of seats for old stadium, and then compare with new stadium overlay. 

Closer, except, you know, not.

This is place I will realistically go two, maybe three times in my life by the time it's built. The longer this process goes I realize the less I care.

21 minutes ago, mrags said:

It’s probably because they chinced out and literally copied the main blueprints for Tottenheim and because it’s a soccer field it’s larger. Pegula is cheap, couldn’t even pay for a new design 

Tottenham pitch is over 20 yards wider than an NFL field. I doubt that is true. More likely they cheaped-out on the graphic design team.

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Why? The stadium is enclosed. It's not half under ground like the current stadium. Not sure why blocking the wind would be so impossible 

I think we need to differentiate between “blocking” and “reducing.”  Nothing short of a dome will eliminate it, but I’ll be very interested to see how it works out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I think we need to differentiate between “blocking” and “reducing.”  Nothing short of a dome will eliminate it, but I’ll be very interested to see how it works out. 

The thing I would like to know is the real life uses that this "wind confusion" meshing has been tested out/used in.

Can't help but think it's likely something that was designed for places that have never had snow let alone the amount that usually hits Buffalo.

Edited by The Wiz

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

That's just the side profile of the seats. How are you confirming distance from the field if there is no field on the diagram?

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I am guessing the dotted red line is where the sideline is. 

It's not. It's the slope of the upper level. See the blue dotted line for the current stadium? Obviously the field doesn't start underneath the stands in the current stadium.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It's not. It's the slope of the upper level. See the blue dotted line for the current stadium? Obviously the field doesn't start underneath the stands in the current stadium.

I might argue with that. The first row in the sidelines may not be as low as the current stadium. I’m sure they would rather have some more space away from fans right on top of the players while on sideline. As well as it is likely better for the fans to be up 5’ compared to what it currently is now. The first few rows have a hard time seeing the action over the players on the sidelines as it is. End zones are likely free game and will be just as low. And from what I have seen they will offer field level seating in at least one end zone. There’s quite a few stadiums that have them. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

Why? The stadium is enclosed. It's not half under ground like the current stadium. Not sure why blocking the wind would be so impossible 

Reduced impact for winds, yes.  No impacts from winds..not a chance.  

The best way I can describe is to have you do an experiment.  Grab an empty soda bottle and put a bunch of small pieces of paper in the bottom.  With the cap off (lol) blow across the top of the bottle.  What happens? 

When 50-70mph winds are blowing across the top of the the stadium some of that energy can mix down.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Reduced impact for winds, yes.  No impacts from winds..not a chance.  

The best way I can describe is to have you do an experiment.  Grab an empty soda bottle and put a bunch of small pieces of paper in the bottom.  With the cap off (lol) blow across the top of the bottle.  What happens? 

When 50-70mph winds are blowing across the top of the the stadium some of that energy can mix down.  

My wife suggests I see a shrink.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/15/2024 at 5:14 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Not this again. Just like the sun casts a shadow that isn’t straight down so does the roof cast a rain or snow ‘shadow’. So while one side will see rain hit the first few rows that are technically under the cover on one side, the other side will receive the equivalent but opposite benefit. Choose your seats accordingly. 👍

Not building a dome is going to be a topic of conversation for another 50 years 😂.

Especially in 20 years when the cost of domes will be $10 Billion, there will be a ton of fans screaming “we could have done it for only $500 million more!!!!”.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Steptide said:

Can we ADD wind coming in from the sides to push Bass’s slices back inside the upright?

Im thinking some sort of dam system where we open large hydraulic doors that let in wind at key moments!

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Process said:

Honestly once Allen retires and the bills suck again I think they could have a very hard time selling out the stadium. 

Buffalo is too small of a market to support a bad team with high prices. 

Yes they sold out games during the drought years. But tickets were dirt cheap and people treated it like a party. 

Tickets will be much more expensive now. Plus the at home viewing experience is much better, and I think people are less willing to sit in garbage weather nowadays. 

Thanks Jurrah.

Jerry Jones forced this on Pegula and Pegs just rolled over for belly scratches.

Now the average fan will be forced out by the prices.

A buddy of mine, RIP Zach, was a 30 year season ticket holder and would have been one of the many who won't be able to afford them for the new place. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Thanks Jurrah.

Jerry Jones forced this on Pegula and Pegs just rolled over for belly scratches.

A buddy of mine, RIP Zach, was a 30 year season ticket holder and would have been one of the many who won't be able to afford them for the new place. 

So what would your solution have been? Just keep pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into the old stadium? Prices would still increase 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

So what would your solution have been? Just keep pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into the old stadium? Prices would still increase 

They are in a hard spot. Either build a new stadium and price some people out or the team moves. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Thanks Jurrah.

Belly scratch and a leash.  Jurrah's company even gets a cut.  I wonder if he also had option to buy team first so he could be first owner with team in AFC and NFC.

Kim never would have gone for it.

• Haha (+1) 1