What does our O-Line look like now?

DrDawkinstein

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

His length has always worried me about that idea and that little snippets of time we have seen it I have not loved it.

I hear you, but if Brown has issues again they will need to try something else.  

Edited by purple haze

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That is a worst case scenario. Like a Tommy Doyle playing on a blown ACL, team getting cooked alive, worst case scenario.

Brown’s play last season had me thinking worst scenario.   I hope it was the result of his back keeping him from training like Beane said.  Way too many jail breaks on his watch.

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Brown is starting, Edwards is a guard.

Thanks for informing me of this first hand information.  He played tackle in college.  He has the ability to play tackle.  Our current tackle has been terrible and our 2 backups are even worse

like I said-

I HOPE- that it’s Edwards- IF BROWN DOESN’T IMPROVE.

Brown- if he improves.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Interesting. I'd be shocked if Torrence wasn't a starter Day 1 in 2023.

Agreed. I'm hoping McBeane are past that whole "the roster is complete, rookies wont need to contribute right away" mindset. If we want to take a step from last year, we need what Kincaid and Torrence bring to the table to translate to our Offense this year.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I don't like the idea of Torrence next to Brown. 

I Hear That.  I thought Brown played better next to Williams in 2021 than next to Bates in 2022.

20 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

plus some UDFA and Bobby Hart, cuz... ya gotta have...Hart...

Bobby Hart do do do do dodo Boby Hart do do do do dodo (tune of Baby Shark)

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

His length has always worried me about that idea and that little snippets of time we have seen it I have not loved it.

I will go further, in the little snippets we have seen of Bates at OT my reaction has been "that's a plan where you lose your Hat....a Bad Plan"

Edited by Beck Water

47 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thanks for informing me of this first hand information.  He played tackle in college.  He has the ability to play tackle.  Our current tackle has been terrible and our 2 backups are even worse

Edwards has also made a point that Kromer has everyone who doesn't play center, try every position on the OL. 

Edwards was competing with Rob Havenstein who has been pretty durn solid at RT, and Whitworth, on the Rams.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Meh - the rookie drafted in RD 2 makes that salary easy to push down the depth chart to the role he probably belongs at and that’s backup Guard and a solid one.   

Bills' signing of Connor McGovern named among worst free agency decisions in NFL

Here’s PFN’s full breakdown on McGovern’s deal he signed with the Bills:

Had the Bills signed the other Connor McGovern interior offensive lineman, the one they saw twice a year for three years, the $7.5 million average annual value would make sense. He’s played at that level for a number of years now and still has some great football ahead of him.

But the Connor McGovern that played for the Cowboys has not been quite as successful. McGovern was a capable pass blocker last year and played that role at an above-replacement level, but he has always been an enormous liability as a run blocker. Not only that, his success as a pass protector was largely limited to one season, allowing defenders to quickly win off the snap and forcing the quarterback to scramble or get rid of the ball quickly.

McGovern has only had one season as a full-time starter, playing as an injury replacement in other years. In that role, he’s spectacular, and teams could do a lot worse than having him as a depth player along the interior. But as a starter making starting money, it’s a big issue — especially for a team that wants to improve its running game.

McGovern’s contract incurs a $3.6 million cap hit in Year 1, which is in line with his value. But after that, it explodes to a functionally guaranteed second-year cap hit of $7.5 million and hits $8 million in Year 3 — an unguaranteed year but a difficult one to cut because he would incur $4 million in dead cap space.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/31/buffalo-bills-connor-mcgovern-worst-signings-nfl/

You are sitting Bates. he is the best back up center to Morse. McG is playing unless he sucks, and maybe even then !

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One of those 6 in bold will get cut or traded, my bet would be on Boettger as typically teams go with 5 interior and 4 tackles.  Or could they make a more shocking move and cut Morse?

Not 100% certain Torrence will start, could be Bates instead.  But if they were to cut Morse, then Torrence starts at guard and Bates at Center

Bates can play OT. Doyle was awful before the knee. He is done. Bates is the perfect utility tool. In a perfect world Torrence starts at RG and McGovern is good enough to beat out Bates at LG. Then you get one more year out of Morse and Bates is your starting C in 2024. 

Unfortunately at this point it is Brown or bust at RT. 

The run on quality OTs hurt the Bills options. 

Next year they may need to draft two OTs if Dawkins regressed further and Brown doesn't get better.

58 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like the idea of using one of those 7ths on Vorhees

Beane would not cuz he is 6 year senior at age 24.5 right now and that is a flag, guy we drafted may be short armed, but did play tackle for 3 years and is 2 years younger, Brugler (Beast) has our guy rated higher as well...

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One of those 6 in bold will get cut or traded, my bet would be on Boettger as typically teams go with 5 interior and 4 tackles.  Or could they make a more shocking move and cut Morse?

Not 100% certain Torrence will start, could be Bates instead.  But if they were to cut Morse, then Torrence starts at guard and Bates at Center

Wait...you think they might cut or trade O'Cyrus who we just took in the 2nd round?  He was one of your bolded players you mentioned.

McGovern seems very good at pass protection, not at run. So is Morse unless he pulls. All teams have strengths and weaknesses. This team is build for pass pass pass. Even many of the runs should be off pitches, sweeps, and so on. Still, what an improved OLine with the two new guards, on paper at least. Josh with slightly more time and all these weapons, it'll be amazing to watch.  Last year it seemed Dorsey loss quite a step and was predictable as the year went on, yet the RUN finally started to click. 

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

McGovern was insurance - he isn’t starting after the Torrence pick.  I was never a fan of the signing.  I guess a pass pro upgrade over Saffold.  

But this group needs NASTY and to RUN THE BALL IN THE RED ZONE:

Dawkins - Bates - Morse - Torrence - Brown, but the good version.  

McGovern 

Edwards

Mancz 

Ques 

Doyle

I think Bates moving back to LG will help him and Dion. Morse, Bates and Dion is a pretty good left side of a line. 

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dawkins - McGovern - Morse - Torrence - Brown

Quess    - Boettger    - Bates  - Edwards -  Doyle

That right side could be REAL NASTY if those dudes get their stuff together and develop.

Or does Bates or Edwards have a chance of starting over Torrence, and McGovern plays RG?

Where is Broerker?

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Or could they make a more shocking move and cut Morse?

Bills clear $6 million of cap space cutting Morse. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

At this point if I suggested Terry Pegula at right tackle I think you'd be willing to give it a chance if it means less Spencer Brown haha.

Not Terry, but definitely Jessica Pegula, much higher level of athleticism. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I think that the price for Taylor Lewan might be within reach now that the draft has settled.  I've read (can't verify) that the Dolphins have interest.

I'd rather see Lewan as our Right Tackle next to O'Cyrus Torrence.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/taylor-lewan-claims-miami-dolphins-have-called-him

Absolutely NOT

EGSmyUIWwAETiDl.jpg

EGSmy_QW4AIbpz5.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Absolutely NOT

EGSmyUIWwAETiDl.jpg

EGSmy_QW4AIbpz5.jpg

LOL!!

Sorry I just watch the games, and don't follow any drama.  Didn't know that.  That's hilarious.

Without all that "noise", I'd say Lewan would have been a good RT for us.

Ah well.

Maybe Brandon Shell (any drama there?).  :)

From March:  https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/20/buffalo-bills-interest-brandon-shell/

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I think that the price for Taylor Lewan might be within reach now that the draft has settled.  I've read (can't verify) that the Dolphins have interest.

I'd rather see Lewan as our Right Tackle next to O'Cyrus Torrence.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/taylor-lewan-claims-miami-dolphins-have-called-him

Lewan is broken

6 hours ago, chongli said:

No way Torrence is cut or traded.

Absolutely!! 

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Bates can play OT. Doyle was awful before the knee. He is done. Bates is the perfect utility tool. In a perfect world Torrence starts at RG and McGovern is good enough to beat out Bates at LG. Then you get one more year out of Morse and Bates is your starting C in 2024. 

Unfortunately at this point it is Brown or bust at RT. 

The run on quality OTs hurt the Bills options. 

Next year they may need to draft two OTs if Dawkins regressed further and Brown doesn't get better.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wait...you think they might cut or trade O'Cyrus who we just took in the 2nd round?  He was one of your bolded players you mentioned.

Absolutely!

Easy when posting that the words don't reflect what the mind is thinking.  I highlighted the 6 just to say we have 6 interior lineman and typically only five are kept so one is likely gone off 53.  thee consecutive thoughts, all bundled into ole bolded text. 

Doubt anyone goes anywhere till the end of August just in case a bad long term injury

Of the 6, McGovern and Torrance are the two locks to stay.

IMO Ike B is the easiest to cut and bring back on PS

Bates would likely want to be kept for his versatility, but he also may bring the most back in trade value.

If thinking about the future, then Morse is best to let go as likely with the others all being younger, this is probably Morse last year so rather than risk losing one of the others now and then Morse in another year, let him go now.  As someone else stated, cutting bates saves $6 mil.  Ideally trade him, but unlikely anyone would take on that contract.

Once you get beyond the two locks Edwards has the least history with the team so unless he impresses in camp, he could become the easiest to cut

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Bills OLine looks terrific after the draft! What was a weakness could be a strength. Good thing too because Chiefs and Bengals massively upgraded their DLine. Can’t wait until the games start!

the interior is greatly upgraded. LT Dawkins remains above average and RT Spencer Brown remains a huge ? and too often a liability in pass blocking

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Yantha said:

LOL!!

Sorry I just watch the games, and don't follow any drama.  Didn't know that.  That's hilarious.

Without all that "noise", I'd say Lewan would have been a good RT for us.

Ah well.

From March:  https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/20/buffalo-bills-interest-brandon-shell/

haha, that was right after the Bills played down there in 2019. We won a tough fought game. Lawson and Phillips were jawing HARD and all over Lewan. Both had a really good game, I think Phillips had 3 sacks, and then baited Lewan into a bad penalty at the end that killed their drive. Good times. Love those guys.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.