Cole Beasley tweets

Buffalo_Stampede

I would expect Cole Beasley to feel this way.

Here's a guy who defied all expectations for an NFL career to become one of the better slot receivers in the league.

He has that competitive spirit born of having a chip on his shoulder plus the confidence that comes with having made his mark.

While I'm skeptical of his claim, I respect his self-belief.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Anyone familiar with dorseys college career  did he use his tes alot?

I am not, but several weeks ago when this was a discussion topic a few folks pointed to his Miami days where he had Bubba Franks, Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow II in his arsenal. Apparently the Cam Newton teams he was associated with leaned on TE usage which is why some folks were speculating last year one would see more 12 personnel. The OJ Howard experiment was a non-starter, however, and so one is left wondering.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Yep. Some folks on this board don't believe Dorsey will employ 12 personnel. Don't see how anyone can know that. We haven't had two really good TEs on the team to make it feasible. 12 personnel should also be particularly effective in the RZ where the Bills struggled last year. Dorsey was predictable and Josh had a lot of turnovers in the RZ where he had previously been stellar, so I hope it happens. 

Josh said publicly he wants to get back to old concepts. I don’t think they’re going to try something new this year. Get a true slot WR that runs those get open quick routes Beasley ran.

Also the Bills redzone offense was pretty bad in the middle of the season falling to 22nd I believe. But by the end of the year they were back up to 10th. They fixed that. They remembered Knox.

48 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think some of you grossly underestimate how big of a change that would be.  NFL Offensive Coordinators are not known for just scrapping their entire offensive style and moving to a totally different offense design in an off season.  Usually the team just fires the OC and then goes and hires the OC that runs the system they want to change to who has proven success running that style of offense.

If we had a good 2nd TE, would we incorporate some more 2 TE sets...sure...but to expect its going to be a main focal point is a bit unrealistic.  

And I will point this out again to everyone so keen on running a heavy dose of 12 personnel...no team has ever won the SB building its offense off 12 personnel and 2 TE sets.

I assume you’re excluding H-back from the TE category to eliminate the Redskins from the definition…. 

Modern era I agree, although the Packers ran a lot of it as a base offense with Kuhn as H-back when they won with Rodgers, particularly down the stretch when Starks took over at RB. Granted, their TEs that year were more like TE/WR tweeners and it was a personnel grouping that McCarthy used a lot in previous years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Josh said publicly he wants to get back to old concepts. I don’t think they’re going to try something new this year. Get a true slot WR that runs those get open quick routes Beasley ran.

Also the Bills redzone offense was pretty bad in the middle of the season falling to 22nd I believe. But by the end of the year they were back up to 10th. They fixed that. They remembered Knox.

Quite a few visits with TE on the Bills 30. I don't think that means they are just looking for a better backup to Knox. I expect at minimum increased use of 12 personnel in the RZ. You think the mid-season lull was fixed by remembering Knox. That is certainly a start. What wasn't fixed: the bad oline, the poor results with slot receiver necessitating picking Beasely up off the scrap heap, Davis dropping too many crucial passes possibly necessitating bringing in Brown off the scrap heap, sporadic use of the run game without integrating it into a coherent offensive attack, a seeming inability to use the pass catching abilities of Cook and Hines, etc. So, in sum, I am not comfortable simply running it back. Dorsey will have to show significant growth as OC for me and I personally surmise more use of 12 personnel would be a sound development.

Aside from adding another better than average TE, I wouldn't mind Josh Downs. He's going to be a superlative slot. Downs and Hopkins would be a home run, but then they still need to bring in more oline help because it is madness to count on Spencer Brown to be an anchor or even moderately competent, though naturally I hope he has a terrific bounce back year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm glad he believes that. I also think we are going to see a lot fewer 3wr sets this year. 

What makes you think so (That we are going to see a lot fewer 3wr sets this year)?  

I hope you're right, I just have nothing to base it on.  Further, I hope our base formation is the 2 TE set, I would love that!  Anyway, thanks for any feedback you can provide about fewer 3wr sets....I would like to know what brought you to that conclusion.

Just now, BillsNutHawaii said:

What makes you think so (That we are going to see a lot fewer 3wr sets this year)?  

I hope you're right, I just have nothing to base it on.  Further, I hope our base formation is the 2 TE set, I would love that!  Anyway, thanks for any feedback you can provide about fewer 3wr sets....I would like to know what brought you to that conclusion.

All this speculation about 12 personnel is just another term for the 2 TE set.

30 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

WHAT?!  Hahahaha!!!!  Our offense was at its best when he was producing. No one can deny that. He isn’t wrong with what he said. 

and I said the reason we don’t have a slot receiver - ie him - is because he’s a loud mouth idiot that can’t keep a job. 

saying you showed up after doing nothing for 2 months and were the best guy for the job still is not exactly earning him a roster spot. It’s too easy to say “I busted my butt for two months for the opportunity and I think I made the most of it. I’m grateful for the opportunity. I hope I get to keep earning it all off season and next year”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

I love Bease, the guy produced. I couldn’t care less about all this peripheral crap that so many posters get their panties in a bunch about.  I just wish he had more left in the tank. If he was still as good as he was, as we want him to be, and as he thinks he is he’d have been picked up by another team long ago. I think the reality is that he’s lost a lot of quickness/separation and he was only valuable to Buffalo because he know the offense and had familiarity with Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I assume you’re excluding H-back from the TE category to eliminate the Redskins from the definition…. 

Modern era I agree, although the Packers ran a lot of it as a base offense with Kuhn as H-back when they won with Rodgers, particularly down the stretch when Starks took over at RB. Granted, their TEs that year were more like TE/WR tweeners and it was a personnel grouping that McCarthy used a lot in previous years. 

Yes, you assumed correctly, but didn’t do that to “eliminate” Redskins as they didn’t run the same type of offense that people are assuming we would convert to if we took a TE in the first.  

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Not trying to throw shade at anyone here, but honestly there is nothing at all leading to this conclusion other than assumptions and speculation by posters if we were to draft a tight end in round 1.  

But just being honest, there is no evidence that we are going to run less 3 WR sets next year.  In fact you could argue it’s just the opposite.  Bills not only signed multiple new WRs already, they have explored interest in OBJ and Hopkins and shown a heavy interest in WRs early in this draft.  All of which points to interest in continuing to run a lot of 3+ WR sets.  

It’s possible they take a TE in round 1 or 2, it’s a weird draft and if a TE is BPA at those spots Beane has shown to stay true to his board.  And while that could lead to using some 2 TE sets in certain situations, it wouldn’t automatically indicate a fundamental shift in Dorsey’s offense and a big reduction to 3+ WR sets.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If we need 5 yards, Beasley is still the best WR on this team and it's a role we have not been able to fill since his departure. Not having this has made the offense more prone to three and outs, not as consistent. He was huge on the underneath slants, in routes, quick outs.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Quite a few visits with TE on the Bills 30. I don't think that means they are just looking for a better backup to Knox. I expect at minimum increased use of 12 personnel in the RZ. You think the mid-season lull was fixed by remembering Knox. That is certainly a start. What wasn't fixed: the bad oline, the poor results with slot receiver necessitating picking Beasely up off the scrap heap, Davis dropping too many crucial passes possibly necessitating bringing in Brown off the scrap heap, sporadic use of the run game without integrating it into a coherent offensive attack, a seeming inability to use the pass catching abilities of Cook and Hines, etc. So, in sum, I am not comfortable simply running it back. Dorsey will have to show significant growth as OC for me and I personally surmise more use of 12 personnel would be a sound development.

Aside from adding another better than average TE, I wouldn't mind Josh Downs. He's going to be a superlative slot. Downs and Hopkins would be a home run, but then they still need to bring in more oline help because it is madness to count on Spencer Brown to be an anchor or even moderately competent, though naturally I hope he has a terrific bounce back year.

It’s a deep TE draft. I do expect 1 drafted. I suspect the visits for Washington and Musgrave were medical checks. Both possible day 2 picks. I don’t think they would change their offense for a rookie TE. Might be something for the future if they can develop another one. Probably some 12 mixed in, sure.

If they can find another WR that can play with Diggs and Davis in 11 personnel it’ll help make everything work better. Hopefully they find one. Might be Hopkins.

Bills struggles between the 20s the 2nd half of the season was due to many things. Let’s start with the QB tearing his UCL. 

2 hours ago, gobills404 said:

If we ever need someone to catch the ball 4 yards downfield and then fall down before getting tackled Beane will be sure to give him a call

A Scott Chandler type!

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not trying to throw shade at anyone here, but honestly there is nothing at all leading to this conclusion other than assumptions and speculation by posters if we were to draft a tight end in round 1.  

But just being honest, there is no evidence that we are going to run less 3 WR sets next year.  In fact you could argue it’s just the opposite.  Bills not only signed multiple new WRs already, they have explored interest in OBJ and Hopkins and shown a heavy interest in WRs early in this draft.  All of which points to interest in continuing to run a lot of 3+ WR sets.  

It’s possible they take a TE in round 1 or 2, it’s a weird draft and if a TE is BPA at those spots Beane has shown to stay true to his board.  And while that could lead to using some 2 TE sets in certain situations, it wouldn’t automatically indicate a fundamental shift in Dorsey’s offense and a big reduction to 3+ WR sets.  

If we use Beane’s past drafts as a guide, if he takes a BPA TE in the 1st, he may take another BPA TE in the 2nd.

Edited by BobbyC81
Fix hokey merging.
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Not happy with the wr room. Adding Beasley would not change that. 

Adding Beasley isn’t where I was going with this post. Our slot options are bad at the moment. Beasley wouldn’t change that. We need someone that can replace those routes he ran. He’s not currently on the roster.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think some of you grossly underestimate how big of a change that would be.  NFL Offensive Coordinators are not known for just scrapping their entire offensive style and moving to a totally different offense design in an off season.  Usually the team just fires the OC and then goes and hires the OC that runs the system they want to change to who has proven success running that style of offense.

If we had a good 2nd TE, would we incorporate some more 2 TE sets...sure...but to expect its going to be a main focal point is a bit unrealistic.  

And I will point this out again to everyone so keen on running a heavy dose of 12 personnel...no team has ever won the SB building its offense off 12 personnel and 2 TE sets.

I would argue the Ravens did it in 2013 with mostly heavy 12 personnel with Flacco.

I believe NE patriots did run a lot of 12 personnel on one of their runs to the SB. 

Just because IT has not been done a lot, does not mean it can't be done. Dual TE formations with talented te's is not a bad option when you struggle at the slot position. 

I am not saying we should do it... but I am saying If i dug into history, I believe I would find plenty of teams that did it. 

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s a deep TE draft. I do expect 1 drafted. I suspect the visits for Washington and Musgrave were medical checks. Both possible day 2 picks. I don’t think they would change their offense for a rookie TE. Might be something for the future if they can develop another one. Probably some 12 mixed in, sure.

If they can find another WR that can play with Diggs and Davis in 11 personnel it’ll help make everything work better. Hopefully they find one. Might be Hopkins.

Bills struggles between the 20s the 2nd half of the season was due to many things. Let’s start with the QB tearing his UCL. 

Musgrave can't keep his feet. If they don't go with one of the top four, Tucker Kraft or Schoonmaker are midround TEs worth looking at. Kraft may go earlier, I guess. I think Kincaid should be thought of as a multi-purpose weapon, so I don't confine him to ordinary TE paradigms. If they do the 27 to 34 switch with AZ to pick up Hopkins, I am thinking about Josh Downs at 34. That would be a dynamic Wr room.

I'm not discounting the injury to Josh. I talked about it a lot some months back. It likely did severely limit playcalling, but I still think Dorsey went through growing pains and that he has to do better.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Is he wrong?

Man only played 5 games.

It's nice to see a guy with confidence in himself. 

He's not wrong that he would be the best slot receiver on the team, but right now the only slot receiver on the team is Khalil Shakir, and the draft/post draft FA moves haven't started yet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But it would be a cool tweak
and work for a good while, if Dorsey could fathom it
Q Morris could pull it off to some degree.

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

No reason to not want him back. He should be well rested and still has something in limited action last year. Can’t have too many good WRs on the team.

Well, you can, actually.

The team usually rosters 6 WR, 5 active on game day.

Diggs

Davis

Shakir

Harty - also KR/PR

Sherfield - special teams
draft pick or vet signed after draft

Unless the Bills don't draft a WR (which would piss me off), who do you want to see traded or cut to make room for Beasley?

He doesn't want to land on the practice squad, not with his smack talk about "best slot on the team" and with Harty on the books for $3.75M this season

The Ravens didn't have a 2 TE pass attack though, that offense was built on dual RB combo of Jamaal Lewis and Priest Holmes that also used Shannon Sharpe predominantly when throwing to a TE.  That team was built on their defense that broke the 85 Bears defensive scoring record and grinding down teams by running the ball.  The Patriots did briefly utilize a heavy dose of 2 TE sets in the passing game, but they lost the only SB they made with that offense 21-17 to the Giants.   

Honestly it hasn't happened in the modern era the way people are suggesting we would run it if we drafted a TE round 1.  

And totally agree...just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be done.  But look at the flip side of that.  We have an offense that is 2nd only to KC in total points scored over the past 3 seasons, a difference of only 10 points by the way.  Allen who has excelled in a spread em out downfield attack, who specifically wanted Dorsey because he had been here and could keep running a similar offense.  Dorsey is just a 2nd year OC who already has a lot of areas to work on from his first year debut.  

So for me, I just think this notion we will go away from 3+ WR sets in heavy favor of a 12 personnel offense is a bit unrealistic.  I mean that is a lot to ask of a 2nd year OC to completely redesign his offense into one he has never run as an assistant or coach on any level.  And it would be different style than what our elite QB wanted and is comfortable in.  

If we do take a TE early, which is possible with the varying ways the draft could fall, then I think what is more likely to happen is we will see some 12 personnel inserted in situational play calling but won't see some fundamental switch to featuring 2 TE's like some keep suggesting.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The Ravens didn't have a 2 TE pass attack though, that offense was built on dual RB combo of Jamaal Lewis and Priest Holmes that also used Shannon Sharpe predominantly when throwing to a TE.  That team was built on their defense that broke the 85 Bears defensive scoring record and grinding down teams by running the ball.  The Patriots did briefly utilize a heavy dose of 2 TE sets in the passing game, but they lost the only SB they made with that offense 21-17 to the Giants.   

Honestly it hasn't happened in the modern era the way people are suggesting we would run it if we drafted a TE round 1.  

And totally agree...just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be done.  But look at the flip side of that.  We have an offense that is 2nd only to KC in total points scored over the past 3 seasons, a difference of only 10 points by the way.  Allen who has excelled in a spread em out downfield attack, who specifically wanted Dorsey because he had been here and could keep running a similar offense.  Dorsey is just a 2nd year OC who already has a lot of areas to work on from his first year debut.  

So for me, I just think this notion we will go away from 3+ WR sets in heavy favor of a 12 personnel offense is a bit unrealistic.  I mean that is a lot to ask of a 2nd year OC to completely redesign his offense into one he has never run as an assistant or coach on any level.  And it would be different style than what our elite QB wanted and is comfortable in.  

If we do take a TE early, which is possible with the varying ways the draft could fall, then I think what is more likely to happen is we will see some 12 personnel inserted in situational play calling but won't see some fundamental switch to featuring 2 TE's like some keep suggesting.  

Probably the most recent was the Eagles with Ertz and Goedert. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Probably the most recent was the Eagles with Ertz and Goedert. 

Yeah, and they didn't really even really utilize them a lot together, and honestly those teams probably should have too.  

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, you can, actually.

The team usually rosters 6 WR, 5 active on game day.

Diggs

Davis

Shakir

Harty - also KR/PR

Sherfield - special teams
draft pick or vet signed after draft

Unless the Bills don't draft a WR (which would piss me off), who do you want to see traded or cut to make room for Beasley?

He doesn't want to land on the practice squad, not with his smack talk about "best slot on the team" and with Harty on the books for $3.75M this season

Sherfield is better than people think too, and I think he is gonna run more as the 3rd WR if we didn't draft or trade for another WR.  Personally, I think we are going to still draft one though.  

So yeah, I agree, just don't see how Cole would ever make it back on this roster unless there was some sort of injury situation during the season when there are few options out there and he has familiarity with the offense and QB.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes, you assumed correctly, but didn’t do that to “eliminate” Redskins as they didn’t run the same type of offense that people are assuming we would convert to if we took a TE in the first.  

It’s definitely not what most folks are thinking about. Honestly, a 2 TE offense could work. Could…. But there are some massive caveats. It’d have to be a PA heavy offense with a probowl back, elite deep threat, top ten Oline, all pro TE, and a second TE that was a borderline probowl player. Both the TEs would likely need to be capable being spread out too. It’s a mix you’d need to stumble into when you have an OC capable of exploiting matchups. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

It’s definitely not what most folks are thinking about. Honestly, a 2 TE offense could work. Could…. But there are some massive caveats. It’d have to be a PA heavy offense with a probowl back, elite deep threat, top ten Oline, all pro TE, and a second TE that was a borderline probowl player. Both the TEs would likely need to be capable being spread out too. It’s a mix you’d need to stumble into when you have an OC capable of exploiting matchups. 

Agreed on the above

To put your post into simpler terms...it's not very realistic for the Bills this year.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

I want to see them create a Rejects team.

Cam Newton at QB, TO, Beasley..

All the guys that scream they still have it and line them up against an NFL squad and just go.

Will never happen but I would buy a ticket lol.

I think you just got hired by the USFL

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Man only played 5 games.

It's nice to see a guy with confidence in himself. 

He's not wrong that he would be the best slot receiver on the team, but right now the only slot receiver on the team is Khalil Shakir, and the draft/post draft FA moves haven't started yet.

You sure he’d be the best?  If he could somehow revert back to the Cole Beasley of 2020, then absolutely.  But toward the end of 2021 he really seemed to take a step back and another step back last season.  I think he’s cooked physically as a WR though he still can read a defense. 

The  amount of interest he’s drew last off-season and this off-season is telling.  

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I live near Athens. Big fan of Darnell Washington. There is a report out there apparently that a number of teams have dropped him off their draft board for medical reasons. I am skeptical. Timing suggests someone is hoping he drops to them.

Call me crazy, but I think Darnell Washington and Cole Beasley have different skill sets.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.