Scariest movie?

Success

19 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The AMC channel did a ranking of scariest movies a few years back, and Jaws was the number one choice.

They asked Rob Zombie why he voted for that movie, and he said, “I’ll put it this way. When it came out, I was in middle school in Ohio. My parents took me to see the movie at the local mall. Afterward, we went into a York Steakhouse inside the mall, and I needed to go to the bathroom. I was afraid to sit on the toilet, because I thought a shark was going to come out and bite my ass off.”

Yeah it's JAWS.

That one hit hard.    I had family in Long Island and Rhode Island that lived on the water and remember going to visit there in subsequent summers after it came out and the helicopters doing shark patrol on the busy beaches to make people feel safer.    People were pretty freaked out about sharks after that for quite some time.    I hadn't even seen the movie but it freaked me out being out in deep water helping my cousin collect his lobster traps.   

My JAWS in theatre story is that I was too young to be allowed to go and many of my friends were 2-4 years older and they all got to go together to see it and I was pretty angry about that so my grandfather took me to get ice cream in one of those baseball batting helmet cups.    

JAWS already scared me before I watched it so EXORCIST was probably the scariest to me when I watched it the first time...........but agree with @Success that NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET was really creepy at the time.

IT FOLLOWS was indeed a great one.   Great concept and set in Detroit........which is a surreal and super creepy place in real life. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Event Horizon.  That movie unnerved me enough I haven't wanted to watch it again since - and I saw it when it first came out in 1997.

I was going to mention that movie.  The scenes of Hell were very unnerving. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dpberr said:

Event Horizon.  That movie unnerved me enough I haven't wanted to watch it again since - and I saw it when it first came out in 1997.

All of this and more. To this day I can’t get it out of my head. 

On 4/7/2023 at 2:26 PM, Bray Wyatt said:

as a kid IT 

The tv version? To me that’s scarier than that remake movie 

On 4/7/2023 at 3:37 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

The AMC channel did a ranking of scariest movies a few years back, and Jaws was the number one choice.

They asked Rob Zombie why he voted for that movie, and he said, “I’ll put it this way. When it came out, I was in middle school in Ohio. My parents took me to see the movie at the local mall. Afterward, we went into a York Steakhouse inside the mall, and I needed to go to the bathroom. I was afraid to sit on the toilet, because I thought a shark was going to come out and bite my ass off.”

Agree. It’s jaws and I still don’t go too deep

when at the ocean (and I’m old)

11 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Hereditary is the scariest I've seen. The grandma lurking. The daughter clicking. Really horrifying stuff.

I'll have to check that one out.  See it listed all the time on cable.

53 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Sixth Sense because the idea of dead people following you is scary as hell.  

The Conjuring, the first one, was a good movie.  Not overly scary, the right level and it was good.  The last 2 sucked I thought.

The Ring was good as well.

Speaking of the Conjuring/Annabelle, I know the woman who owned the doll (well, before the Warrens took it).  She never saw a penny from that franchise.

On 4/10/2023 at 6:48 PM, Jauronimo said:

The Road isn't supposed to be a horror movie but that one bothered me to the point where I won't watch it again.

Funny you mention this; I found that movie to be really disturbing as well.

There was the scene where they end up in the basement of a house and run into people being kept there as a living food supply--that was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen in a film.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 9:08 PM, dpberr said:

First thing that came to mind. My dad rented it for us thinking it was a scifi movie. I was 9 and not prepared for what I was about to see. 

I enjoyed the “Shining” Jack Nicholson was perfect for the part, 

For me, it is/was Poltergeist.  Scared the living daylights out of me as a kid.  

As far as slasher films.  Terrifier and Terrifier 2.

Insidious is great.

As mentioned a lot.  Hereditary is one of the best horror movies made.  Maybe not so much 'scary'... but, just how everything unfolded.  

Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black (1975). It was  made for TV  movie with three short stories, all starring her.  The best one was the third one where a voodoo doll attacks her. Although I was 18, I looked at the baseboards  for months afterwards, expecting the voodoo doll to jump out of the darkness.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Wacka said:

Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black (1975). It was  made for TV  movie with three short stories, all starring her.  The best one was the third one where a voodoo doll attacks her. Although I was 18, I looked at the baseboards  for months afterwards, expecting the voodoo doll to jump out of the darkness.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.