NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I could always be mis-remembering, but I thought that Ford actually did have those flashes, both as an RT in 2019 and as a G in 2020.  I think it would be pretty strange if they kept a guy for 4 years who didn't flash at all.

The problem was, they remained flashes and squibbed out in 2021 when the Bills were expecting him to take that step and lock down that starting G spot.

I don't mind if the Bills keep Brown, but can we agree they really need to invest in a potential back-up plan better than Quessenberry?

Yeah we can totally agree on that.

27 minutes ago, julian said:

To be fair, Ford never had flashes of dominance like Brown has nor did Ford have the upside that Brown has.

The reason you can give a young struggling RT time to develop is because you have a Josh Allen who covers up for plenty of Oline deficiencies, you don’t have a statue getting killed on every whiffed block attempt.

Im fine with Brown getting another (injury free) training camp to develop and hopefully improve and become the player they hoped he would become.

That said, I’m totally fine with them replacing him tonight if that’s the plan, I’m not denying there needs to be an upgrade at that spot.

What upside does Brown have?  The guy is too tall to play OT.  And he played at Northern Iowa.  There has been no dominance.  At least Ford was a highly regarded prospect when he was coming out.  And the kid played at a big time program, and was good in college.  For whatever reason it never transferred over to the NFL.  

The Bills need a very good RT and a stud WR to get their offense approaching Super Bowl caliber.  Drafting defensive guys is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.  It is not going to change the trajectory of the team.  Its an offensive league.  And we have an amazing QB.  He needs more help.  We do that and we will be bigtime contenders this year.  The defense just needs to be decent to good.  And it will be with McDermott coaching the D.  We should be all in on improving the offense.  If that means only drafting 3 or 4 guys, because Beane is moving up the and down throughout the draft, then great.  Go OT, WR, IOL and TE.  We will be set.  You can find defensive guys as undrafted free agents or veterans who are cut by other teams in the next couple months to fill in the gaps.  People need to understand that guys like Tremaine Edmunds do not move the meter in how a team will do because they are not difference makers.  In today's game not many defensive players are.  And whomever replaces him will be just fine in what they need to do as far as the big picture of the makeup of the team will be.  

If Beane and McDermott don't understand this, then they should start looking for another line of work.  Because the AFC will be stacked.  And we need to keep up with the current arms race.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I could always be mis-remembering, but I thought that Ford actually did have those flashes, both as an RT in 2019 and as a G in 2020.  I think it would be pretty strange if they kept a guy for 4 years who didn't flash at all.

The problem was, they remained flashes and squibbed out in 2021 when the Bills were expecting him to take that step and lock down that starting G spot.

I don't mind if the Bills keep Brown, but can we agree they really need to invest in a potential back-up plan better than Quessenberry?

I remember limited flashes in 2019 when he was job sharing tackle with Nsekhe. I don't remember any for him at guard. He had a decent game in the opener of 2021 vs the Steelers, sucked the next 2 weeks and promptly lost his job. 

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He’s actually a pretty precise route runner.  Not sure why some think he isn’t.  Biggest question marks are his hands as he had some drops and doesn’t always play up to his size the way you would think for contested balls.  But route running is one of his strengths.  

He is good in routes where he can get those long strides going. He is less good where you need his feet to move quickly. For example, he doesn't snap off to execute the comeback or the sharp in cut. But he runs downfield stuff pretty well. Where he can get into his stride rhythm he is smooth. It's the sudden stuff where he can be a little sloppy. I don't know I'd necessarily call it a strength but I don't think it is a weakness either. He is fine as a route runner. It's the playing small that worries me the most. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

What upside does Brown have?  The guy is too tall to play OT.  And he played at Northern Iowa.  There has been no dominance.  At least Ford was a highly regarded prospect when he was coming out.  And the kid played at a big time program, and was good in college.  For whatever reason it never transferred over to the NFL.  

The Bills need a very good RT and a stud WR to get their offense approaching Super Bowl caliber.  Drafting defensive guys is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.  It is not going to change the trajectory of the team.  Its an offensive league.  And we have an amazing QB.  He needs more help.  We do that and we will be bigtime contenders this year.  The defense just needs to be decent to good.  And it will be with McDermott coaching the D.  We should be all in on improving the offense.  If that means only drafting 3 or 4 guys, because Beane is moving up the and down throughout the draft, then great.  Go OT, WR, IOL and TE.  We will be set.  You can find defensive guys as undrafted free agents or veterans who are cut by other teams in the next couple months to fill in the gaps.  People need to understand that guys like Tremaine Edmunds do not move the meter in how a team will do because they are not difference makers.  In today's game not many defensive players are.  And whomever replaces him will be just fine in what they need to do as far as the big picture of the makeup of the team will be.  

If Beane and McDermott don't understand this, then they should start looking for another line of work.  Because the AFC will be stacked.  And we need to keep up with the current arms race.

I think you are discounting D too much, but I essentially agree with the main thrust of your argument. They better draft someone who can step in and play RT if the Brown experiment fails. 

• Agree 1

One player who has gone under-hyped during the 2023 NFL Draft process is Alabama running back Jahmyr Gibbs. Many teams use a color-based grade scale, with Blue signifying an elite starter, Red/Warm marking a good starter, Red indicating a solid starter, and below that are backup quality players. The 2023 NFL Draft is not especially strong, and Gibbs is one of the few players who received a blue grade. Multiple team sources feel Gibbs could be an Alvin Kamara- or Jamaal Charles-type running back in the NFL. The other consensus blue players in the 2023 NFL Draft are Bijan Robinson, Will Anderson, Tyree Wilson and Jalen Carter. Some teams gave blue grades to Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud and Devon Witherspoon. Some teams, meanwhile, did not have Anderson and Wilson with blue grades and had them as red/warm.

With Gibbs being one of the only consensus blue prospects in the 2023 NFL Draft, in all likelihood he is going to go much higher than expected tonight. Team sources told WalterFootball.com that they think Gibbs could go as a top-20 selection in the 2023 NFL Draft. Along with being an ultra-fast running back, Gibbs is a phenomenal receiving weapon who can be used out of the slot like Kamara. Gibbs also can serve as a kick returner. He is tough, strong, fast, and has great character on and off the field. There are a lot of teams that are interested in Gibbs. While he might be a surprise top-20 pick to the media and fans, it won't be a surprise to teams if Gibbs goes that high.

Late in the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft, a team that could go a lot of different directions are the New Orleans Saints. Even though they took Chris Olave in Round 1 last year, they could consider wide receiver again if a good fell to them at No. 29. They also will have to think hard about line talent on both sides of the ball. From speaking with sources, it sounds like the Saints would like to add some size to their defensive front. New Orleans seems to really like Clemson defensive end Myles Murphy but believes he won't get to No. 29. Overall though, the Saints would consider a variety of options and might go with the best player available regardless of position.

Last weekend, the betting odd shot up for the Texans taking Kentucky quarterback Will Levis. Sources from around the NFL told WalterFootball.com that there is mixed feedback on Houston taking Levis. On the plus side, Levis fits a lot of the organization's parameters for character, work ethic, leadership, and physical talent. However on the down side, Levis did not have impressive tape and the scouting side of the team is not keen on Levis. It sounds like Levis might be more of a candidate for Houston's No. 12 pick rather than going No. 2 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft.

Based on what I am hearing from team sources, I do not believe the hype of Levis being a top candidate for the Colts at selection No. 4. Indianapolis has a talented front office with some of the top scouting minds in the NFL. It would be very out of character for the them to take a player with bad tape, much less with the fourth-overall pick. The Levis hype reminds me of two years ago when there was a lot of media saying the 49ers were targeting Mac Jones with the third-overall pick. From what I'm hearing and in listening to my gut, I think the Colts will take C.J. Stroud, although Anthony Richardson could be their Plan B.

The Detroit Lions will be one of the power players of the 2023 NFL Draft thanks to having five top-81 picks. The team could be very active as well. The 18th is a good spot to potentially trade down from, and don't be surprised if the Lions package some of their second-day picks to move back into the very end of the first round and end up selecting three players in Round 1 of the 2023 NFL Draft. The Jets did that last year, and the Lions could follow suit with their extra draft capital from Round 2 of the 2023 NFL Draft.

A shocking late development this week was that some recent medical reports changed the draft status of Texas Tech defensive end Tyree Wilson. One top-10 team that could take a defensive lineman tpld WalterFootball.com that they had dropped Wilson off their draft board. The reason why is that the team feels Wilson's foot injury was not addressed successfully.

"I looked at the X-ray of his foot, and it looks like Frankenstein. It's all mangled," said a director of player personnel. "We dropped him off our board. Our doctors think they're going to have to re-do it. You have to ask, 'How soon are you getting what you think you are getting?' Whatever they did to his foot, it's not right. He could go out and practice and his his foot will start hurting, and then he'll get shut down and they will have to re-do it."

As a result of the injury, that team thinks Wilson could have slide in the top 10. They do not believe Wilson will go as a top-five pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know what to expect tonight, but I'm gonna be a little salty if the Bengals get Michael Mayer.  I don't need Joe Burrow to have a fancy new toy like that dropped into his lap.  He's going to be a great one.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I agree with much of what you’re saying but not all, Brown’s upside is everything to do with his physical skill set, his RAS numbers, his on field personality and his flashes of excellent play, most of which in the run game I concede. Go look up some cover1 film breakdown they’ve done on Browns dominant play at times.

My only point I was making to the original poster was I don’t see Ford and Brown as the same player. You point out Brown’s small school origins as evidence of him not being a good player, but it’s that small school past that lends to the idea of needing a little more polish than Ford coming from Oklahoma.

Browns may end up washing out, if they replace him this weekend I’m good with the plan. Don’t be surprised if he’s the starter week one because the coaches may have a much different opinion than many who’ve written him off.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I can read this post over and over and over. Very well stated and I agree 100%. 

58 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I don't know what to expect tonight, but I'm gonna be a little salty if the Bengals get Michael Mayer.  I don't need Joe Burrow to have a fancy new toy like that dropped into his lap.  He's going to be a great one.

I think Mayer will be the first TE off the board personally and I don't think he will get past the Chargers, and if he does, certainly not past the Cowboys.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I think you are discounting D too much, but I essentially agree with the main thrust of your argument. They better draft someone who can step in and play RT if the Brown experiment fails. 

I'd much rather have the ball in Allen's hands to win the game then in the hands of the defense. 

Since when has this defense ever been good enough come playoff time? 

At some point, you just can't do the same thing that doesn't work. Unless you are OK with nice regular season defensive stats that are meaningless come playoff time. 

Give Allen proper protection and more weapons. He will be virtually unstoppable. Of course, it would help if he had a dynamic creative play calling coach. Dorsey certainly wasn't that last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

You maybe right on my thoughts on Defense.  But watching this past seasons Super Bowl and looking at what our AFC competitors are doing, I think we need to really target offense.  And Beane does not seem to be able to evaluate good defensive players in the draft for whatever reason.  

1 hour ago, julian said:

I agree with much of what you’re saying but not all, Brown’s upside is everything to do with his physical skill set, his RAS numbers, his on field personality and his flashes of excellent play, most of which in the run game I concede. Go look up some cover1 film breakdown they’ve done on Browns dominant play at times.

My only point I was making to the original poster was I don’t see Ford and Brown as the same player. You point out Brown’s small school origins as evidence of him not being a good player, but it’s that small school past that lends to the idea of needing a little more polish than Ford coming from Oklahoma.

Browns may end up washing out, if they replace him this weekend I’m good with the plan. Don’t be surprised if he’s the starter week one because the coaches may have a much different opinion than many who’ve written him off.

Your last sentence maybe very true.  I just hope if the team goes in that direction, that Spencer Brown kicks some butt.  Hopefully he can at least stay healthy so we can see what kind of an NFL O lineman he truly can be.

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I can read this post over and over and over. Very well stated and I agree 100%. 

Thank you Newcam.  I appreciate that.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think Mayer will be the first TE off the board personally and I don't think he will get past the Chargers, and if he does, certainly not past the Cowboys.

I’d happily take Kincaid. Mayer is a fantastic TE, but I think Kincaid is the premier pass catcher and has the body to block when required. Needs some coaching in that department, but he’s so damn athletic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He is good in routes where he can get those long strides going. He is less good where you need his feet to move quickly. For example, he doesn't snap off to execute the comeback or the sharp in cut. But he runs downfield stuff pretty well. Where he can get into his stride rhythm he is smooth. It's the sudden stuff where he can be a little sloppy. I don't know I'd necessarily call it a strength but I don't think it is a weakness either. He is fine as a route runner. It's the playing small that worries me the most. 

He’s too similar to Gabe and for that reason I don’t think he’s an option for us unless we plan on letting Gabe walk.

Addison to me is the perfect WR fit we would be looking at early 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Multiple teams looking to trade up for Charlie Campbells nephew, Jack.  
matt mitrione eye roll GIF by Nickelodeon at Super Bowl

Brought to you by KC, Cinci, NYJ and Miami’s front offices.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I’d rather it be Mayer than Kincaid.  He’s a problem imo

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Brown played injured most of last year. I expect him to bounce back from an off season and return to his rookie year form with two years experience under his belt. I'm willing to give him more time. He did play well his rookie year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Westside said:

Brown played injured most of last year. I expect him to bounce back from an off season and return to his rookie year form with two years experience under his belt. I'm willing to give him more time. He did play well his rookie year.

He run blocked well his rookie year.  He did not pass protect well.  He was bad

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DJB said:

He’s too similar to Gabe and for that reason I don’t think he’s an option for us unless we plan on letting Gabe walk.

Addison to me is the perfect WR fit we would be looking at early 

He’s similar to gabe but faster and MUCH better RAC.  And he’ll be under a rookie contract while Gabe looks

for a new team next year

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Westside said:

I hope so Westside.  But I would still bring in some solid competition for his position.  Make him earn it.

• Agree 1

Sources with NFL teams were not surprised that Alabama running back Jahmyr Gibbs went as a top-20 pick, because they viewed Gibbs as one of the few players with an elite grade in the 2023 NFL Draft. Interestingly, sources with the Jets say their team was planning on taking Gibbs with the 15th pick. They felt he was too much of a playmaker to pass on, and he would have been a tremendous receiving back for Aaron Rodgers to work with. Gibbs also is a very good pass blocker who could have helped the aging quarterback. The Jets took Breece Hall in the second round last year, but Hall is coming off a serious injury, and having a potent rushing attack with a two-headed monster would obviously have helped the Jets set up good down-and-distance situations for Rodgers. After the Lions took Gibbs with the 12th pick and the offensive linemen went off the board, the Jets felt that Will McDonald was the best value available and could help them field a dangerous edge rush group.

The Falcons are continuing to build an elite offense by selecting Bijan Robinson last night. Many teams had Robinson graded as the best player in the 2023 NFL Draft, and he fits right in with other elite, freakish athlete prospects Atlanta has taken in recent years, like tight end Kyle Pitts and wide receiver Drake London. In speaking with sources, Robinson was the target for Atlanta for quite some time. The only player who may have caused the Falcons to pass on Robinson was Seahawks cornerback Devon Witherspoon. The Falcons loved both Witherspoon and Robinson. The choice was made for Atlanta when Seattle selected Witherspoon at No. 5, but those two players were the top targets for the Falcons.

Another player that the Falcons loved was Iowa linebacker Jack Campbell. Sources said that Atlanta was interested in trading up from its second-round pick to get Campbell. Additionally, sources with the New York Giants said Campbell was in the running for their first-round pick. If he fell to late in the first round, they were planning on seeing what it would take to move up for Campbell. Multiple team evaluators have said Campbell is similar to former Carolina Panthers All-Pro linebacker Luke Kuechly. Detroit snatched up Campbell at No. 18, breaking the hearts of some of the staff with the Falcons and Giants.

Two defensive tackles who had a late rise in the pre-draft meetings were Florida's Gervon Dexter and Wisconsin's Keeanu Benton. Coaches from around the NFL liked the fits that they presented for schemes, with Dexter being a run stuffer possessing athletic upside and Benton having some interior pass-rush potential. The 2023 NFL Draft is not strong at the defensive tackle position, but there are a number of teams that need interior defensive line help. It sounds like both Dexter and Benton could go in the second round tonight.

On Monday, we discussed how some teams had medically flunked Georgia tight end Darnell Washington, and he was not alone, as other significant players received medical red flags. Among them is Baylor defensive tackle Siaki Ika. Ika had a shot at being a second-round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, but he could slide to the mid-rounds after being flunked medically by some teams. Some franchises have some character concerns with Ika as well. While Ika is a beast against the run, he is viewed as a player who lacks a role in the sub package, so that limits his playing time significantly. Going in the third round of the 2023 NFL Draft is probably the best case scenario right now for Ika.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.