NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The other thing with Ngakoue is he can't (and won't) play the run. He is quite happy to just let a guy go past him. It creates questions about how much he wants it and coaches get to the point where they say "screw the sacks this guy doesn't care." At a buy very low number though he does have a skillset that without Von we don't have.

My small hope is that his old college teammate and HS rival Stefon Diggs can fire him up, maybe get him to work a little harder and buy in. At some point Ngakoue needs to realize that it isn't just sacks, but at the same time, if he just gives us sacks, I'd kind of be ok with it. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

2 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

So if Addison makes it to 20-21 is he worth a trade up to grab him? It seems like a run on Wr might happen around this point from the draft previews I have seen. 

I would NOT want to trade up for Addison- in fact, I think it would be foolish to do so…he is boarder line 1st round/2nd round

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I would NOT want to trade up for Addison- in fact, I think it would be foolish to do so…he is boarder line 1st round/2nd round

That’s fair from a prospect valuation standpoint, but I think scarcity and need come into play. If the Bills want a WR who can play on the outside and will come in ready to run a full route tree in year one, then they don’t have a lot of options. They’ll have to make the move to be sure they get him. They put themselves into this position so it’s not an excuse for doing it, but I think it’s the reality of the situation. I can see them burning some draft capital to move up from 27 for Addison and then from 59 for a MLB. 

Edited to add: JSN could also be the target with Addison as smoke or another option. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

18 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Per the same source that told me Poyer's exact contract details before they were announced, and that Shaq Lawson would be signed for the vet minimum before that was announced, the Bills apparently really want Jordan Addison.

McDermott is good friends with the Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi. That's where Addison played before transferring to USC. We know McDermott leans on his friends in college coaching to make draft decisions (notably Dave Aranda). Connecting the dots there it would make sense.

Two other non-draft rumors from the same source - the Bills have been in contact with Yannick Ngakoue and Rashaan Evans. My guess is that if they sign either of these players it would happen after the draft.

Next time you get some valuable information, you should withhold the details and just PM them to me so the opposition won’t be privy to it 😉 

25 minutes ago, Bigvinny said:

Are they still interested in Poona Ford ?

For 1.7M- I bet they are….. but not more, which essentially eliminates us for consideration.  

50 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Then have fun with the same WR unit as last year.  Flowers will likely be gone.  Johnston will likely be gone.  JSN will definitely be gone.  The other guys have very little chance of playing over the the guys we have.  Addison does. He does it all- except weigh a lot. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I agree he is objectively a borderline 1st rounder. But that still makes him a top 16 player in this draft. You can only draft guys that are in this class. I wouldn't go up big for him, but the speculation that you could maybe switch spots with the Jags and take him.... I'm here for that. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree he is objectively a borderline 1st rounder. But that still makes him a top 16 player in this draft. You can only draft guys that are in this class. I wouldn't go up big for him, but the speculation that you could maybe switch spots with the Jags and take him.... I'm here for that. 

Switching spots with Jags would probably cost us 4th just like last year (or maybe even more). Not sure I'd do that.

Also, I am not sure if Beane would specifically jumped Giants, given the relationship between teams (Schoen and Daboll). Or do you guys thinks it doesn't matter at all?

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Switching spots with Jags would probably cost us 4th just like last year (or maybe even more). Not sure I'd do that.

Also, I am not sure if Beane would specifically jumped Giants, given the relationship between teams (Schoen and Daboll). Or do you guys thinks it doesn't matter at all?

I think that is exactly why he WOULD do it. He understand what those guys think and what they value. I'd happily give up a 4th for Addison rather than end up staring at the board as I was in the latest version of my mock. I doubt there are many players in the 4th and below in this draft who will make any impact in the NFL.... even compared to normal standards. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IF we don't trade for Hopkins, could we be this aggressive? 

Trade up for Addison in the 1st
Trade up for Hyatt in the 2nd  (If he makes it into the late 30's) 

That seems incredibly doubtful to me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Addison is the perfect for the Daboll system, and WR is a real need for them. The Bills would have to get ahead of them, I think. 

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

So the Texans are going to roll with Mills again?  Inconceivable.

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

Will Anderson second overall to try and be their Bosa?

If so, they will be sorely disappointed...

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Next time you get some valuable information, you should withhold the details and just PM them to me so the opposition won’t be privy to it 😉 

For 1.7M- I bet they are….. but not more, which essentially eliminates us for consideration.  

Expect moves after the draft

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I heard this talked about on 550. I laughed. It’s silly season in the NFL. Believe nothing you hear. It just makes no sense when you think about it. I still think it’s Stroud #1 and Young #2. Houston is putting smoke out there that Young is the only QB worth taking early so Stroud falls to them. I don’t blame them if that’s what they’re doing. Young’s size will severely limit his NFL career. I wouldn’t want to take a 5’10”, 175# QB second overall. Or really anywhere in the draft. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I heard this talked about on 550. I laughed. It’s silly season in the NFL. Believe nothing you hear. It just makes no sense when you think about it. I still think it’s Stroud #1 and Young #2. Houston is putting smoke out there that Young is the only QB worth taking early so Stroud falls to them. I don’t blame them if that’s what they’re doing. Young’s size will severely limit his NFL career. I wouldn’t want to take a 5’10”, 175# QB second overall. Or really anywhere in the draft. 

Maybe, but I don't think so. I think the Panthers and the Texans both want Young. I was told Young was Houston's guy way before lying season started. Before Carolina moved up too. If he goes at #1 I think there is a chance that Houston either doesn't pick a QB at #2 or trades out. 

To trade out they would need someone willing to give them a 2024 first I think because they'd be punting the decision a year. Not sure anyone else is as desperate as the Panthers to do that. My advice would be take CJ Stroud at #2. You have a 2nd first this year to get someone at another position who can help. And if you are not sold on CJ just be open to taking another QB next year if he struggles. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Agreed.  A 5' 10" QB in this league is at a serious disadvantage from the jump.

To put it into perspective, look at a Bills O huddle.  Diggs is 6 feet tall.  Look how Josh still seems to tower over everyone except the tallest o line.  In this league, being able to see over your lineman and it being less likely your balls are batted down by 6' 2"+ d-line and LBs simply cannot be discounted.  

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 2

Bryce Young appears to be consensus No 1 pick to Panthers after bold move before NFL Draft

Through the widespread speculation that the Panthers were going to select Young with their top pick, the 2021 Heisman Trophy winner reportedly canceled all of his remaining pre-draft visits to other NFL teams. 

This move seems to confirm to experts what they already thought: The Panthers have already told Young they will take him first overall on April 27.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bryce-young-appears-consensus-no-1-pick-panthers-bold-move-nfl-draft

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe, but I don't think so. I think the Panthers and the Texans both want Young. I was told Young was Houston's guy way before lying season started. Before Carolina moved up too. If he goes at #1 I think there is a chance that Houston either doesn't pick a QB at #2 or trades out. 

To trade out they would need someone willing to give them a 2024 first I think because they'd be punting the decision a year. Not sure anyone else is as desperate as the Panthers to do that. My advice would be take CJ Stroud at #2. You have a 2nd first this year to get someone at another position who can help. And if you are not sold on CJ just be open to taking another QB next year if he struggles. 

I agree with this take. I’m not sure yet that I buy it that Houston has the balls to not take Stroud if Young is gone but man I would give them some kudos if they traded down picked up some more pieces knowing they’ll get their QB next year in a class with a couple elite QB prospects (Maye is my favorite right now, kid looks special). Houston ownership has to have a long leash in order to let his guys do this because they’re essentially saying we’re tanking for Maye or Williams. If I were them, even with Stroud being a decent prospect, I would do the same. I’m just not sure they actually will

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

People say that every year, and then the NFL draft never disappoints on the trades or players taken.   The media drives out narratives on certain players (agent driven) and then when the authentic events happen, they call it silly season.

4 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I agree with this take. I’m not sure yet that I buy it that Houston has the balls to not take Stroud if Young is gone but man I would give them some kudos if they traded down picked up some more pieces knowing they’ll get their QB next year in a class with a couple elite QB prospects (Maye is my favorite right now, kid looks special). Houston ownership has to have a long leash in order to let his guys do this because they’re essentially saying we’re tanking for Maye or Williams. If I were them, even with Stroud being a decent prospect, I would do the same. I’m just not sure they actually will

This is what houston should be doing.  None of these QBs are the truth imo. Lots of fools gold out there. But next year…. That’s a different story.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't like Stroud much.  If I'm Houston, I trade down if Young goes 1 and try to grab Richardson or Levis.  Stock more picks and take either of those guys wherever you trade down to, or at 12. Still a gamble, but the extra picks help offset the risk.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

This is what houston should be doing.  None of these QBs are the truth imo. Lots of fools gold out there. But next year…. That’s a different story.  

It's possible that Houston doesn't like Stroud, but if that's the case, they should be trading down with someone who does (assuming there is someone), not taking the top defender at 2 overall.  If I was a Texans fan, I'd be apoplectic about the thought of having to live through another season of Davis Mills.

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, cle23 said:

I don't like Stroud much.  If I'm Houston, I trade down if Young goes 1 and try to grab Richardson or Levis.  Stock more picks and take either of those guys wherever you trade down to, or at 12. Still a gamble, but the extra picks help offset the risk.  

This draft reminds me, a bit, of the Allen draft.   Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen at the top of the draft... in the sense that I think it will be a bunch of busts and, maybe, Richardson lives up to his potential. 

Edited by SCBills

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

It's possible that Houston doesn't like Stroud, but if that's the case, they should be trading down with someone who does (assuming there is someone), not taking the top defender at 2 overall.  If I was a Texans fan, I'd be apoplectic about the thought of having to live through another season of Davis Mills.

I agree completely.  I never said they should draft D with #2.  Trade down, trade down again and again in this crap draft.  Get more ammo for next year and make sure you get a top 2 pick.  Things will turn around at that point.  I don’t think any of these QBs are worth rolling the dice on 

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'll guess a trade up to late teens or early 20's if JSN / Addison / Flowers (whoever they want) is still there.

If Bijan Robinson makes it to 24, I can see us jumping  NYG and Dallas 

if it only costs us a 4th or later then fine but if not just sit pretty no reason to trade up for WRs in this class when the drop off isn’t that much. No elite talent outside of Flowers imo and even then I’m staying Pat if it costs more than a 4th…now if you want to trade up for a premier OT like Paris or Jones sure I can get on board with that

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Outside of one example I can think of -- Rosen followed by Kyler Murray -- no one ever takes a QB the next year if the number two overall pick struggles (and Rosen was #10, a meaningful difference). Teams don't give up that easily--even though they often should. If they think the QBs outside of Young are weak, they shouldn't take one because then you're tied to that guy for longer than you think. It can simply prolong the agony. Basically, if you draft a guy at 2 and then give up on him right away, you're basically telling everyone that you're a moron and a bad judge of talent. That might actually be true, but it's human nature to not be willing to admit that. If Houston takes Stroud at 2, they aren't taking a QB early next season no matter how poorly he plays.  Anyway, isn't the QB class for next year supposed to be a lot better than this one? 

If I'm Houston and am not sold on Stroud or the other QBs, I try to trade down and get another first for next year so that they have the ammo to maneuver for a QB in 2024.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'll guess a trade up to late teens or early 20's if JSN / Addison / Flowers (whoever they want) is still there.

If Bijan Robinson makes it to 24, I can see us jumping  NYG and Dallas 

Yes, to going up for a WR - particularly Addison.

A huge NO to moving for B Robinson. A big NO to drafting him at all.   If he makes it to 27, some team would want him and we should trade down.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.