Current Cap Space?

jaybills

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Considering most deals we sign end up having smaller cap hits in year one, I think that's enough to add a decent LB, a decent RB, and a better than decent WR, plus our draft class. Which is what I expect.

I don't think he included Tyrel Dodson in that figure. I think it's probably closer to 17.

5 hours ago, jaybills said:

Where are we sitting right now as far as how much we can spend in free agency after paying for draft picks? Draft around $6-8 million?

Right now we have about $20.5M cap space - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ what you see here, plus about $6M from Milano, which isn't accounted for there yet. Dodson and Lewis are not there, but they won't eat much, they will just replace other cheap players with similar salary. On the other hand, Dane Jackson is already accounted for.

If you want to know real cap space, you need to substract:

$2M for draft class (that is not their total cap hit, just the difference between rookies cap hits and players they replace)

~$4M for PS players

~$3M for in season moves

$1,7M for 52nd and 53rd roster players (right now its top 51 only)

So if my math is correct, we have about $10M total effective cap space. 

We also need to sign about 6-7 more NFL players - QB, OL, WR, RB, DL, LB, S.

Most of them will be cheap with very small additional cap hits (e.g. backup QB signed for $2M will cost us $1.1M, since we will replace $0.9M player).

So in my opinion we have space for one bigger FA/trade addition, max. 2, with usual structure, i.e. low 2023 cap hit. I guess we will somehow get Edmunds replacement and upgrade at WR, one of the being "big" acquisition.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

2.2. will just abut pay for your first- round pick. Estimated total for all picks is 7,8 million.

Totally wrong.  It’s 2.2 when you factor in the top 51.  You don’t just add up all the picks and take that number.  

Edited by GolfandBills

43 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

2.2. will just abut pay for your first- round pick. Estimated total for all picks is 7,8 million.

Yeah but it is not relevant. Total cap hit of rookies will be over $7M, but we only need about $2M extra, since those rookies will be replacing other players already accounted for. 

So @GolfandBills is right, all draft picks cost us about $2M in cap space.

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Right now we have about $20.5M cap space - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ what you see here, plus about $6M from Milano, which isn't accounted for there yet. Dodson and Lewis are not there, but they won't eat much, they will just replace other cheap players with similar salary. On the other hand, Dane Jackson is already accounted for.

$2M for draft class (that is not their total cap hit, just the difference between rookies cap hits and players they replace)

~$4M for PS players

~$3M for in season moves

Most of them will be cheap with very small additional cap hits (e.g. backup QB signed for $2M will cost us $1.1M, since we will replace $0.9M player).

So in my opinion we have space for one bigger FA/trade addition, max. 2, with usual structure, i.e. low 2023 cap hit. I guess we will somehow get Edmunds replacement and upgrade at WR, one of the being "big" acquisition.

Plus the $6M for Milano. It’s about $15M maybe depending on Lewis & Dodson. 

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Considering most deals we sign end up having smaller cap hits in year one, I think that's enough to add a decent LB, a decent RB, and a better than decent WR, plus our draft class. Which is what I expect.

I’d expect Dawkins to require an extension rather than agree to a restructure at this point as there are two seasons left on his deal. I think the Bills will leave this one alone this season and decide what to do next offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

~$4M for PS players

~$3M for in season moves

I agree with your math and the deductions that Beane has to consider.

One thing I notice every year.  At cut down time when it goes from the 51 rule to the full cap there is always a few million that comes back

in space when some of those rookies and below the 51 players end up replacing some of the guys with higher hits.

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Are you on the Bills payroll?  Only reason I ask is because there's no mention of the Oline.  

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I’d expect Dawkins to require an extension rather than agree to a restructure at this point as there are two seasons left on his deal. I think the Bills will leave this one alone this season and decide what to do next offseason. 

Sal on the radio this am said players have no say in restructuring unless they have a clause in their contract. Which no one has Because restructuring gets you more guaranteed cash. Found that interesting as he said Diggs had zero say in his restructure so it changes nothing on that front of Diggs attitude to the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Sal on the radio this am said players have no say in restructuring unless they have a clause in their contract. Which no one has Because restructuring gets you more guaranteed cash. Found that interesting as he said Diggs had zero say in his restructure so it changes nothing on that front of Diggs attitude to the Bills.

You’d still think Beane would give Diggs a heads up.  There would, hopefully, be some communication there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

LOL at all the misinformation in this thread.

To the OP: you don't need to worry about the detail of the cap.  Brandon Beane has an army of smart folks doing that stuff for a living, and they will get it sorted out FOR YOU.  Plus, they are inventing new cap space on a daily basis from nothing...they just re-structured Diggs and bought a big chunk of cash...

Cap room will be whatever they need to make it.

Focus on other things--maybe do a mock draft or two.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You’d still think Beane would give Diggs a heads up.  There would, hopefully, be some communication there. 

Agreed, he also said Diggs dead cap is now up from 32 mil to like 45 mil this season after the restructuring. 

44 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Sal is correct. The team option restructuring clauses I’ve seen are always at the beginning of the contract - usually set up to execute in year 2. Diggs is going into year 2 of his extension. The extension was initially structured so that a restructure at this time was going to be make sense. Beane is a competent GM so he knew they’d likely need the space. I expect that he had the foresight to include the clause and Diggs would have had no reason to object to it. 

So, yeah, these clauses are pretty standard practice as they eliminate some red tape for GMs. Also agents would usually add a small increase to the contract for doing it. But they are not common in later years though. Dawkins is a good example. He’s got two seasons left on his deal and would not want to restructure without an extension. That is a clause that would be fought by an agent. 

According to Spotrac, we're currently at 11.5 under WITHOUT the numbers for Jordan Poyer and Kyle Allen.

So right now, we may have close to nothing left. If the figure of 7 is correct for Poyer and we can estimate Allen at around a million, we're probably about 3.5 under right now.

If we want to sign anyone else, we're going to have to clear up some more space. We can save 2.5 today if we release Isaiah McKenzie before a 300k roster bonus comes in for him tomorrow.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Edited by BillsFanForever19

33 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

According to Spotrac, we're currently at 11.5 under WITHOUT the numbers for Jordan Poyer and Kyle Allen.

So right now, we may have close to nothing left. If the figure of 7 is correct for Poyer and we can estimate Allen at around a million, we're probably about 3.5 under right now.

If we want to sign anyone else, we're going to have to clear up some more space. We can save 2.5 today if we release Isaiah McKenzie before a 300k roster bonus comes in for him tomorrow.

And people all pissy we didn’t sign Orlando Brown and trade for Hopkins 😂

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They still have Milano original cap hit, so it is actually about $16.5M before Poyer and Allen. I guess/hope Allen gets max. $2M (so $1M extra cap hit) and I don't expect Poyer's 2023 cap hit to be more than $6M (so $5M extra cap hit) - I still hope he signed for $7M AAV and I guess there will be a void year, so his cap hit might be as low as $4M.

So my guess is that we have about $10M cap space right now.

Which means we have effectively zero, since you need $10M for rookies, PS players, 52/53 player and some in season moves.

8 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

They still have Milano original cap hit, so it is actually about $16.5M before Poyer and Allen. I guess/hope Allen gets max. $2M (so $1M extra cap hit) and I don't expect Poyer's 2023 cap hit to be more than $6M (so $5M extra cap hit) - I still hope he signed for $7M AAV and I guess there will be a void year, so his cap hit might be as low as $4M.

So my guess is that we have about $10M cap space right now.

Which means we have effectively zero, since you need $10M for rookies, PS players, 52/53 player and some in season moves.

you don’t need that much cap space for rookies because of the top salary rule

23 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

But some of those guys will knock others off the roster so it is not that high.   

they do need money for in season IR.   

Edited by Matt_In_NH

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

you don’t need that much cap space for rookies because of the top salary rule

I know, you misread my post. I wrote $10M for rookies, PS players, 52/53 player and some in season moves, and I meant all these things together.

$2M rookies

$4M PS players

$1.7M 52/53 player (not counted now, counted once the season starts)

$3M bacis buffer for season

Hence ~$10M total.

Edited by No_Matter_What

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

i could more likely imagine a rstructure or redone contract for McKenzie before i could releasing him.

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I know, you misread my post. I wrote $10M for rookies, PS players, 52/53 player and some in season moves, and I meant all these things together.

$2M rookies

$4M PS players

$1.7M 52/53 player (not counted now, counted once the season starts)

$3M bacis buffer for season

Hence ~$10M total.

Curious why PS players count toward the cap?  Thought it was just top 51 on active roster 

Edited by GolfandBills

Apparently Dodson signed for $2M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrel-dodson-29586/

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sign any LB at this point and waited for the draft. And I can also imagine that we won't draft anyone high and roll with Bernard or Dodson as starting LB.

Edited by No_Matter_What

10 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

And people all pissy we didn’t sign Orlando Brown and trade for Hopkins 😂

Hey we can’t help it we waste money on rotational Dlinemen that can’t get home. Maybe we need to sign some more average DEs to help give them more rest and maybe they will have enough energy to get it done! 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We have about $2.50. 

south park tree fiddy GIF

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Hey we can’t help it we waste money on rotational Dlinemen that can’t get home. Maybe we need to sign some more average DEs to help give them more rest and maybe they will have enough energy to get it done! 

So sad because it’s true 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.