Current Cap Space?

jaybills

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Considering most deals we sign end up having smaller cap hits in year one, I think that's enough to add a decent LB, a decent RB, and a better than decent WR, plus our draft class. Which is what I expect.

I don't think he included Tyrel Dodson in that figure. I think it's probably closer to 17.

5 hours ago, jaybills said:

Where are we sitting right now as far as how much we can spend in free agency after paying for draft picks? Draft around $6-8 million?

Right now we have about $20.5M cap spacehttps://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ what you see here, plus about $6M from Milano, which isn't accounted for there yet. Dodson and Lewis are not there, but they won't eat much, they will just replace other cheap players with similar salary. On the other hand, Dane Jackson is already accounted for.

If you want to know real cap space, you need to substract:

$2M for draft class (that is not their total cap hit, just the difference between rookies cap hits and players they replace)

~$4M for PS players

~$3M for in season moves

$1,7M for 52nd and 53rd roster players (right now its top 51 only)

So if my math is correct, we have about $10M total effective cap space. 

We also need to sign about 6-7 more NFL players - QB, OL, WR, RB, DL, LB, S.

Most of them will be cheap with very small additional cap hits (e.g. backup QB signed for $2M will cost us $1.1M, since we will replace $0.9M player).

So in my opinion we have space for one bigger FA/trade addition, max. 2, with usual structure, i.e. low 2023 cap hit. I guess we will somehow get Edmunds replacement and upgrade at WR, one of the being "big" acquisition.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

2.2. will just abut pay for your first- round pick. Estimated total for all picks is 7,8 million.

Totally wrong.  It’s 2.2 when you factor in the top 51.  You don’t just add up all the picks and take that number.  

Edited by GolfandBills

43 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

2.2. will just abut pay for your first- round pick. Estimated total for all picks is 7,8 million.

Yeah but it is not relevant. Total cap hit of rookies will be over $7M, but we only need about $2M extra, since those rookies will be replacing other players already accounted for. 

So @GolfandBills is right, all draft picks cost us about $2M in cap space.

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Right now we have about $20.5M cap spacehttps://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ what you see here, plus about $6M from Milano, which isn't accounted for there yet. Dodson and Lewis are not there, but they won't eat much, they will just replace other cheap players with similar salary. On the other hand, Dane Jackson is already accounted for.

$2M for draft class (that is not their total cap hit, just the difference between rookies cap hits and players they replace)

~$4M for PS players

~$3M for in season moves

Most of them will be cheap with very small additional cap hits (e.g. backup QB signed for $2M will cost us $1.1M, since we will replace $0.9M player).

So in my opinion we have space for one bigger FA/trade addition, max. 2, with usual structure, i.e. low 2023 cap hit. I guess we will somehow get Edmunds replacement and upgrade at WR, one of the being "big" acquisition.

Plus the $6M for Milano. It’s about $15M maybe depending on Lewis & Dodson. 

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Considering most deals we sign end up having smaller cap hits in year one, I think that's enough to add a decent LB, a decent RB, and a better than decent WR, plus our draft class. Which is what I expect.

I’d expect Dawkins to require an extension rather than agree to a restructure at this point as there are two seasons left on his deal. I think the Bills will leave this one alone this season and decide what to do next offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

~$4M for PS players

~$3M for in season moves

I agree with your math and the deductions that Beane has to consider.

One thing I notice every year.  At cut down time when it goes from the 51 rule to the full cap there is always a few million that comes back

in space when some of those rookies and below the 51 players end up replacing some of the guys with higher hits.

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Are you on the Bills payroll?  Only reason I ask is because there's no mention of the Oline.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.