Bills restructure Miler and Allen

nato7412

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I haven't heard the Milano 2023 cost of $6M, but if that is correct, I add things up to around $16M.  So, we are in sync.

The Milano extension saved us 6 million.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-sign-matt-milano-to-2-year-extension-in-cap-saving-move/71-e560d6cc-8c4a-44aa-819f-e39cfa1cdad0

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wolfpack78 said:

Boom.  He doesn’t do this unless there is a specific reason right?

Most of the specific reason is that the Bills were $19M over the cap and he needs some $$ to sign some guys (not necessarily big splashes, just guys) and to sign draft picks, with all the FA the Bills have. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So that's 32 Mil for Josh and Von, 6 mil for Milano's extension, 1.3 mil from Hines' restructure, and 600k for Settle's restructure. Roughly 40 million freed up at around 17.6 over.

Would be interested to see where that leaves us after McGovern, Martin, Matakevitch, and Lewis moves.

Good questions.  Spotrac already has Martin's contract accounted for and shows us $15M under.  No details on McGovern yet, that's reported as $4M against the 2023 cap, so leaves $11M. 

I would assume Matakevitch and Lewis are pretty low budget moves, vet minimum type. 

Maybe leaves about $9M

Edit: I missed that Spotrac didn't have the Milano restructure, so more like $14-15M

Edited by Beck Water

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Spotrac has the restructure $ in.  Also already has the Hines and Settle redo's and Sam Martin.

Bills now with $15M

They have Milano still at $13M.  But it will be $6M less.

Don't have McGovern, Dirty Red and Lewis.  But that seem to be a wash with the Milano savings.

Just about $15M in cap space when all this washes out.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsDiehard said:

So we have 7.9 under the cap with some of that needed for draft picks...

Just me, but I wouldn't worry about the draft picks just now.  I don't think Beane is.  We only need top-51, which is gonna be about $5M.

Beane will keep restructuring and tweaking contracts after FA.  He'll be using that $9M $15M to sign FA now.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spotrac has the restructure $ in.  Also already has the Hines and Settle redo's and Sam Martin.

Bills now with $15M

They have Milano still at $13M.  But it will be $6M less.

Don't have McGovern, Dirty Red and Lewis.  But that seem to be a wash with the Milano savings.

Just about $15M in cap space when all this washes out.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Oh, good catch - I didn't see that Spotrac hadn't put in the Milano extension. 

Agree, McGovern is said to be $4M this season, and I'm betting Matekavich and Lewis are minimal deals, so close to a wash.

That's exciting, it means we still have close to that $15M for FA.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Just me, but I wouldn't worry about the draft picks just now.  I don't think Beane is.  We only need top-51, which is gonna be about $5M.

Beane will keep restructuring and tweaking contracts after FA.  He'll be using that $9M to sign FA now.

Oh, good catch - I didn't see that Spotrac hadn't put in the Milano extension. 

Agree, McGovern is said to be $4M this season, and I'm betting Matekavich and Lewis are minimal deals, so close to a wash.

That's exciting, it means we still have close to that $15M for FA.

They are going to have to take another $1.7M or so off when Phillips and Saffold's void years move to dead money and 2 low tier guys go on

the 51.

Good news Beane is under the cap and has some working capital.  I could see another restructure for some smaller $s if he needs it.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

They are going to have to take another $1.7M or so off when Phillips and Saffold's void years move to dead money and 2 low tier guys go on

the 51.

Good news Beane is under the cap and has some working capital.  I could see another restructure for some smaller $s if he needs it.

My guess would be that an extension for DaQuan Jones might be in the work.  He was a Force last year. He is turned 31, but interior DLmen can be effective longer. IF we're losing Poyer, I also wouldn't rule out a small extension for Hyde though that's dangerous business with him coming off the neck surgery.

Oh, wow - just saw that Matakevitch is said to have signed a 1 year, $2.5M extension - yowza.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

That is great if the Buffalo Bills use the money wisely. Former UB Bulls CB Cam Lewis and giving our punter who is barely used isn’t using the money wisely. Sign difference makers like Odell Beckham JR instead is using the money wisely in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Cam Lewis is not costing cap space.  He is no different than when the Bills sign a bunch of UDFAs after the draft.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

My guess would be that an extension for DaQuan Jones might be in the work.  He was a Force last year. He is turned 31, but interior DLmen can be effective longer. IF we're losing Poyer, I also wouldn't rule out a small extension for Hyde though that's dangerous business with him coming off the neck surgery.

Oh, wow - just saw that Matakevitch is said to have signed a 1 year, $2.5M extension - yowza.

Its 1.9M this year, but yea…. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Miller's contract was specifically designed to allow for this restrcuture. His roster bonus this year was about $10 million higher than his signing bonus last year, which is almost unheard of. It was a telltale sign of a restructure. There was never a scenario where they weren't going to execute this.

I'm not remotely worried about our cap situation in 2025. The league wide salary cap will be accelerating rapidly at that point. There is really nothing stopping us from perpetually kicking the can down the road until the day Allen retires. We will never feel the pain until we have to go into a full on rebuild from scratch and at that point no one will care.

To your first point, I don’t think that’s the case. It was built to get out of easily after three years. Now Von will cost either $15 or $24M in 2025.

Thats a lot of money for any pass rusher in the NFL. And a ton for one who will be 36.

My criticism isn’t directly meant for cap purposes, although part of it. Its value. Von Miller will be terrible value. And that money will cost us elsewhere. It’s not any different than BB putting together one of the most expensive Ol’s in the league without being a top unit. We’ve had the most expensive DL in the league without ever being the best DL. 

The FO keeps spending tons of money and draft picks without return at all sorts of position groups. If any of those groups were the best in the league you wouldn’t hear a peep from me about it. 

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Its 1.9M this year, but yea…. 

I don't mind it at all.  He is the captain of the STs and is pretty good at it.  Having a couple of ST'ers is fine with me.

It's the 5 or more that get me aggravated.

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

To your first point, I don’t think that’s the case. It was built to get out of easily after three years. Now Von will cost either $15 or $24M in 2025.

Thats a lot of money for any pass rusher in the NFL. And a ton for one who will be 36.

My criticism isn’t directly meant for cap purposes, although part of it. Its value. Von Miller will be terrible value. And that money will cost us elsewhere. It’s not any different than BB putting together one of the most expensive Ol’s in the league without being a top unit. We’ve had the most expensive DL in the league without ever being the best DL. 

The FO keeps spending tons of money and draft picks without return at all sorts of position groups. If any of those groups were the best in the league you wouldn’t hear a peep from me about it. 

I tend to agree with you, but it's done.  He's a 4-year contract now.  If his play falls way off Beane will just have to eat the money 

and move on.

Truthfully, I was a little shocked they restructured him fully.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/von-miller-7717/

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

They appeared to be one of the best DLs in the league before Miller, Rousseau, and Oliver all suffered serious injuries. Beane clearly has overinvested in the DL and it took him too long to get it right. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The Von Miller contract was a no brainer to improve what was clearly the biggest weakness on the roster after the 2021 season. I suspect Miller will return to his early 2022 level of play by the middle of this coming season and the DL will be a strength of the team IF they aren't snakebitten by injuries again which is always an unpredictable wildcard.

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

It really is the case, though. The $13 million roster bonus due this year was an obvious mechanism that they planned to cash out. It's why pretty much every single person that evaluated the Bills cap situation knew Allen and Miller were going to have these restructures executed. Such glaring obvious moves that were clearly designed ahead of time. If they hadn't done it they literally wouldn't have enough money to operate in free agency in any kind of meaningful way.

Edited by HappyDays

Get a veteran linebacker, safety, and WR and we go into the draft in ok shape.

We need a backup QB, please tell me Barkley isn’t their plan? 

33 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

the 51.

McKenzie just sitting out there waiting to be cut. 

Thats $2M+ in savings with some deaf cap hit. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It really is the case, though. The $13 million roster bonus due this year was an obvious mechanism that they planned to cash out. It's why pretty much every single person that evaluated the Bills cap situation knew Allen and Miller were going to have these restructures executed. Such glaring obvious moves that were clearly designed ahead of time. If they hadn't done it they literally wouldn't have enough money to operate in free agency in any kind of meaningful way.

I agree it was structured with that in mind.  It is more of a risk after his injury.  I for one will be very hopeful on his recovery!

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So that's 32 Mil for Josh and Von, 6 mil for Milano's extension, 1.3 mil from Hines' restructure, and 600k for Settle's restructure. Roughly 40 million freed up at around 17.6 over.

Would be interested to see where that leaves us after McGovern, Martin, Matakevitch, and Lewis moves.

Keep in mind that only a certain amount of the salaries count towards the cap. We always seem to forget that this time of year.

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

That is great if the Buffalo Bills use the money wisely. Former UB Bulls CB Cam Lewis and giving our punter who is barely used isn’t using the money wisely. Sign difference makers like Odell Beckham JR instead is using the money wisely in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Can Lewis is a pretty good back up

And the first time or punter shanked a kick you to be screaming why we didn’t address that position correctly

This isn’t madden we’re building a team

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Liberal Bob said:

Sign Derick Henry end of story

We’d have to trade for him, correct? 

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Keep in mind that only a certain amount of the salaries count towards the cap. We always seem to forget that this time of year.

And the first time or punter shanked a kick you to be screaming why we didn’t address that position correctly

Cam Lewis is awful, but some of the special teamers we tried to draft (Vosean Joseph, Rashad Wildgoose come to mind) couldn’t stay in the NFL, so we’re stuck with Lewis. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Getting Henry would be such a waste of resources for this team that is trying to actually fill real holes

You’re gonna have to give up draft compensation then you’re gonna have to pay a huge contract

We just drafted a second round running back. I have no problem using draft picks because they don’t cost a lot whenever it comes to the running back position.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Cam Lewis is awful, but some of the special teamers we tried to draft (Vosean Joseph, Rashad Wildgoose come to mind) couldn’t stay in the NFL, so we’re stuck with Lewis. 

We all remember him for the play, where the wide receiver from the Vikings caught that ball when he should’ve knocked it down, but we don’t talk about is the quality play that he gave us here, and there, whenever are starters, went down at safety

We don’t want this guy starting for us, but we’re gonna have to feel the team hear any campaign dirt cheap. He’s gonna be so expensive that he’s not even gonna count towards our cap number

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yes Cam is awful whether as a STer or backup db.  I really was convinced he was getting cut after the way he played last season.  Other than Bass, Martin & Hines,  I don't understand why everyone else isn't the $940k minimum?

I suspect we see a vet linebacker of some sort given the reporter interest in David. But otherwise unless there is another guard or a right tackle out there that they like the smart money is to sit on their hands. At the moment that Tremaine Edmunds deal is a 3rd round pick in next year's draft waiting to happen. 

If you are going to throw that away it better be for someone who is going to make a difference. 

Interestingly I don't think they have done anything with Dane Jackson have they? He is an RFA and unless I missed it has not been tendered?

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes Cam is awful whether as a STer or backup db.  I really was convinced he was getting cut after the way he played last season.  Other than Bass, Martin & Hines,  I don't understand why everyone else isn't the $940k minimum?

Cam is not an awful STer. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

2 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Lewis made a couple mistakes in a game so he’s terrible at all times now, haven’t you heard?  You don’t watch the games.  /s 🙄

Edited by purple haze

16 hours ago, nato7412 said:

BIG BALLER BEANE

I'm confused by this in that Yates is reporting it created roughly $32 million in cap space.   Since that tweet the only Bills move was to resign Dodson to a 1 year deal.

The NFL network said just a couple of hours ago, when discussing their free agents and the holes they have, that the Bills have just over $7 million in cap space available.

Is it what Yates tweeted or what the NFL Network stated?

18 hours ago, TOboy said:

Usually they turn salary for the coming year into signing bonus that can be spread across the remaining years of the deal to lower the current season hit. As long as you’ve got owners willing to shell out large sums of cash and years remaining on the deals you can keep doing it. 

This is how I understand it as well.  

The idea is that every dollar a team pays a player must be allocated to the salary cap.  By converting salary into a signing bonus, the total dollars spent on the player remains the same, but the allocation towards the salary cap changes.  

The catch is that the team has to have the cash now to pay the player now, as opposed to future payments being paid with future income streams.  

I'm not sure on this next part, but I believe this also helps create some roster flexibility later on when it comes to trading or releasing a player still under contract.  The more money that has already been paid, the more of the guaranteed money requirements have been met, and hence the less that still needs to be paid upon their departure and counted as dead cap.  

Edited by Capco

2 hours ago, FlaFitz1 said:

I'm confused by this in that Yates is reporting it created roughly $32 million in cap space.   Since that tweet the only Bills move was to resign Dodson to a 1 year deal.

The NFL network said just a couple of hours ago, when discussing their free agents and the holes they have, that the Bills have just over $7 million in cap space available.

Anyone have any idea on why the wide difference between the two figures? Could it be that their restructures don't take effect until tomorrow?

2 hours ago, FlaFitz1 said:

10 minutes ago, FlaFitz1 said:

Anyone have any idea on why the wide difference between the two figures? Could it be that their restructures don't take effect until tomorrow?

Bad wording by Yates, probably due to character limitations.

The restructures gave us back $32M to the cap. We were $16M OVER the cap. We now have $16M in cap space. (without any other signings or restructures counted in that. Could be closer to just $7M right now. I'd guess about $10M. But it isnt $32M vs $7M. It's more like $15M vs $7M so figure somewhere in between)

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.