Bills restructure Miler and Allen

nato7412

15 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

They don't lose money, nobody would ever do it if it meant that, I can't remember the exacts way it works but basically it gets shuffled around with their other years under contract I think, they might actually get more of it now actually.

Usually they turn salary for the coming year into signing bonus that can be spread across the remaining years of the deal to lower the current season hit. As long as you’ve got owners willing to shell out large sums of cash and years remaining on the deals you can keep doing it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TOboy said:

Usually they turn salary for the coming year into signing bonus that can be spread across the remaining years of the deal to lower the current season hit. As long as you’ve got owners willing to shell out large sums of cash and years remaining on the deals you can keep doing it. 

And as long as players do not attempt to retire and keep the money which has been done a number of times.

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah... we're going to have to free up a lot more money to do all of that. 

The restructures and extensions probably put us around 23 under the cap. When you factor in the moves we made today and the money we need for Draft picks - we may be able to do one of David, Poyer, Jeudy, or another big OL signing. All 4 is a pipedream.

Could absolutely do that.  

Poyer would only be back on a team friendly deal.   David won’t be a bank breaker at his age.  Jeudy is on a rookie contract.  Backload the OL cap hit.  

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

Could absolutely do that.  

Poyer would only be back on a team friendly deal.   David won’t be a bank breaker at his age.  Jeudy is on a rookie contract.  Would probably have to get somewhat creative in structuring to do all that and sign a middle to top tier OL … or just trade Oliver. 

Sure, if we make a bunch more moves to free money, we hypothetically could.

Jeudy's a 5 million dollar cap hit on the last year of a Round 1 contract. Spotrac's estimated market value on Poyer is 11 million annually (and he's not taking a team friendly deal). Lavonte David is estimated at 9.7 million annually. Even another mid tier OL won't be cheap.

We saved up to about 23 million or so under the cap with all the moves and we've cut into it with the moves for McGovern, Martin, Matakevitch, and Lewis. We're nowheres near doing all of what's listed above right now.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Success said:

People always say this is pushing money down the road. But isn't that kind of better, considering the salary cap will increase, and Allen's contract will be more of a bargain as the years go on?

Correct. The current salary cap doesn't account for the new streaming deal with Google and new TV deals with the major networks. Legalized gambling money only recently entered the equation - that profitability for the NFL is only going to grow. Starting in 2025 the salary cap is going to explode. We could easily make one big splash signing this offseason and structure it to where the biggest cap hit comes in 2025 and not have to sacrifice anything in the long term.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Sure, if we make a bunch more moves to free money, we hypothetically could.

Jeudy's a 5 million dollar cap hit on the last year of a Round 1 contract. Spotrac's estimated market value on Poyer is 11 million annually (and he's not taking a team friendly deal). Lavonte David is estimated at 9.7 million annually. Even another mid tier OL won't be cheap.

We saved up to about 23 million or so under the cap with all the moves and we've cut into it with the moves for McGovern, Martin, Matakevitch, and Lewis. We're nowheres near doing all of what's listed above right now.

McGovern is 4M.  Matakevich about 2M. Martin probably around 2M.  Lewis likely minimal.  

If that’s what Poyer wants, then yea, he won’t be here.  Given the league signed a ton of defensive guys today, and he wasn’t one of them, have to imagine his price is coming down. 

30 minutes ago, Mango said:

I would have preferred to get more creative elsewhere to save Millers money. 

Unsure of the exact figures, but I believe it makes our outin 2025 substantially more than $7M, and may force us to make a decision between a hefty dead cap number or $21M 36 year old pass rusher with two ACL replacements. 

I would have been down with a Dawkins restructure/extension and same with Jones.

Miller's contract was specifically designed to allow for this restrcuture. His roster bonus this year was about $10 million higher than his signing bonus last year, which is almost unheard of. It was a telltale sign of a restructure. There was never a scenario where they weren't going to execute this.

I'm not remotely worried about our cap situation in 2025. The league wide salary cap will be accelerating rapidly at that point. There is really nothing stopping us from perpetually kicking the can down the road until the day Allen retires. We will never feel the pain until we have to go into a full on rebuild from scratch and at that point no one will care.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Miller's contract was specifically designed to allow for this restrcuture. His roster bonus this year was about $10 million higher than his signing bonus last year, which is almost unheard of. It was a telltale sign of a restructure. There was never a scenario where they weren't going to execute this.

I'm not remotely worried about our cap situation in 2025. The league wide salary cap will be accelerating rapidly at that point. There is really nothing stopping us from perpetually kicking the can down the road until the day Allen retires. We will never feel the pain until we have to go into a full on rebuild from scratch and at that point no one will care.

Well we will care, but it's probably going to suck anyway.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

McGovern is 4M.  Matakevich about 2M. Martin probably around 2M.  Lewis likely minimal.  

If that’s what Poyer wants, then yea, he won’t be here.  Given the league signed a ton of defensive guys today, and he wasn’t one of them, have to imagine his price is coming down. 

So yeah, if your estimates are correct - we're probably sitting at 14-15 under right now. Gotta do a lot more to do anything resembling what I was commenting on.

As for Poyer, I'd imagine it's much more likely he's weighing his options rather than he's in danger of being left without a suitor because he's asking for too much. It's extremely early in FA and he's still one of the top Defensive players available.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nato7412 said:

BIG BALLER BEANE

Yeah glad we made sure we kept Cam Lewis and Tyler 

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah I just don’t want all this to keep Poyer he can go. I’d have liked to keep Edmunds. 

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Hearing the Bills are acquiring Aaron Rogers and trading Allen for 8 first round picks and a wheel of parmesan 

Source??  Lol!!!

Hearing the Bills are acquiring Aaron Rogers and trading Allen for 8 first round picks and a wheel of parmesan 

Source??  Lol!!!

Source??  Lol!!!

19 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So yeah, if your estimates are correct - we're probably sitting at 14-15 under right now. Gotta do a lot more to do anything resembling what I was commenting on.

As for Poyer, I'd imagine it's much more likely he's weighing his options rather than he's in danger of being left without a suitor because he's asking for too much. It's extremely early in FA and he's still one of the top Defensive players available.

I haven't heard the Milano 2023 cost of $6M, but if that is correct, I add things up to around $16M.  So, we are in sync.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.