Have you ever "blacked out" driving?

Royale with Cheese

I've been doing a lot of remodeling work in my house.  I'm currently doing my hall bathroom.  New vanity, tile, mirror, painting, shower etc....

Last night I was painting and I have to keep the door closed to have more room and reach all areas to paint.  I was in there about 90 minutes.  

After I got done, I was hungry and went to get some food.  An hour later, I was driving by Truist Park which is 35 miles from me.  Once I saw the stadium, I "woke up" and then was very confused.  How the hell did I get here?

I was awake, signaled when I changed lanes, kept a good speed...basically functioning like a driver should.  But I honestly don't know what made me pass all the restaurants, get on the highway and drive 35 miles.  

I didn't freak out but was very confused.  I don't know what to think of it.

Is it possible that being in closed room painting could have caused this?  Maybe just pure fatigue?

Has this ever happened to you?

• Shocked 1

Never happened to me but even normal latex can give me a headache in a closed environment. I mean paint is a lot safer than it used to be I think fume wise but...you never know. Shouldn't be breathing that stuff if you can help it!  Especially if you are on a ladder doing the ceiling...your head is right in it. Did you run the exhaust fan in the bathroom (if it had one)?

If you used any mildew killing paint (kilz or Zinser, common for bathrooms), be VERY careful, they are fing nasty. You'd know though I bet....they practically SMELL like alcohol.

1 minute ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Never happened to me but even normal latex can give me a headache in a closed environment. I mean paint is a lot safer than it used to be I think fume wise but...you never know. Shouldn't be breathing that stuff if you can help it!  Especially if you are on a ladder doing the ceiling...your head is right in it. Did you run the exhaust fan in the bathroom (if it had one)?

If you used any mildew killing paint (kilz or Zinser, common for bathrooms), be VERY careful, they are fing nasty. You'd know though I bet....they practically SMELL like alcohol.

Just a step ladder to reach the trim on the top of the wall.

I didn’t run the fan because I hate the sound lol.  

• Haha (+1) 1

That's weird; you might want to go to a doctor and have some tests done.

You could have had a mini stroke or God knows what.  And no, that's never happened to me.

Also, as a handy guy who has done a ton of work like what you were doing, no, latex paint fumes aren't going to do that to you.  They'll give you a headache and you should have been way more concerned with ventilation than you were, but that's not going to turn you into a zombie for what was probably 30-60 minutes of driving.

Go to a doctor.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, teef said:

oh yeah.  i figured we've all done it.  you just zone out and all of the sudden, you jump back into reality.  i remember reading a great explanation on what deja vu is, and it had very similar reasoning.

30 minutes ago, LeviF said:

I call it "autopilot." Completely zone out, often on normal commute or driving across NY on the 90.

Yeah, I've definitely experienced this.  Normally when I'm exhausted and in the midst of an hours-long drive.

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Either way, I've already called CPS on his ass.

this is the right thing to do.

i just re-read the op and i think i miss understood it the first time through.  i just assumed he was driving and zoned out for a while.  driving 35 miles when you don't have to is not easy to do.  hence cps getting involved.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

this is the right thing to do.

i just re-read the op and i think i miss understood it the first time through.  i just assumed he was driving and zoned out for a while.  driving 35 miles when you don't have to is not easy to do.  hence cps getting involved.

I don't even think Bandito would do something like this.

16 minutes ago, teef said:

oh yeah.  i figured we've all done it.  you just zone out and all of the sudden, you jump back into reality.  i remember reading a great explanation on what deja vu is, and it had very similar reasoning.

I've done it too but not this long or distance.  It's usually driving around town and then for a few minutes, yeah I zoned out for a few lights.

I zoned out in this case for over an hour.

The thing was, I was starving because I hadn't had dinner yet....that's why I left.  But then I never got food and passed several restaurants to get on the highway and started driving.  Didn't even realize I was still hungry.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Blacked out", aka high as fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Glad you're all good and didnt crash or even worse, end up in Alabama

I just said blacked out because I have no memory of going on 400 to 285 to 75.  I did all this and it didn't hit me until I saw Truist Park.

Once or twice many years ago when I was young, drunk, and stupid.  

A few weeks before I had my stroke back in 2014 I was on a job  in Stockton, CA and was going to the county  building dept office, where I had  been to about 8 times previously. hat \From what I remember I had taken a right instead of a left to the street it was on and drove around for about 10 minutes  before I spotted someplace I remembered. Stupid me passed it  off as a mistake. Later that day I was going to a taco place I had been to before and got there and it had closed down.  Looked up another nearby location in town of that chain in  my phone. Drove around for about 45 minutes, swearing at the Apple Maps app not working. Couldn't find it and it was getting later and i was hungry so I stopped at a McD's I passed. You do not want to be driving around in Stockton, CA in the dark.  Made it back in the Interstate and home with no problem. Should have been a sigh of a problem but I am one stupid pollack.

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've done it too but not this long or distance.  It's usually driving around town and then for a few minutes, yeah I zoned out for a few lights.

I zoned out in this case for over an hour.

The thing was, I was starving because I hadn't had dinner yet....that's why I left.  But then I never got food and passed several restaurants to get on the highway and started driving.  Didn't even realize I was still hungry.

I just said blacked out because I have no memory of going on 400 to 285 to 75.  I did all this and it didn't hit me until I saw Truist Park.

Maybe it was the paint fumes, but just in case it wasn't, I'd schedule a physical and tell the doctor about it. This could be an early warning sign of a bigger issue.

Hopefully, it's just the paint fumes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

44 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Maybe it was the paint fumes, but just in case it wasn't, I'd schedule a physical and tell the doctor about it. This could be an early warning sign of a bigger issue.

Hopefully, it's just the paint fumes.

That's the thing...nothing else in my life is showing signs anything abnormal.  I might have just overstressed and worked myself too much.  I'm renovating my current house and fixing my rental...plus working full time and being a dad.  

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's the thing...nothing else in my life is showing signs anything abnormal.  I might have just overstressed and worked myself too much.  I'm renovating my current house and fixing my rental...plus working full time and being a dad.  

I hope it's something simple like that, but I'd still get it checked out. Many serious conditions are treatable if caught early, but often they aren't detected until it's too late because the early warning symptoms didn't seem that significant at the time. I've seen it go both ways with people I know - either someone got checked, found something, and treated it, or they didn't bother and it turned out to be too late to treat it.

If nothing else, get checked for your own peace of mind.

And because you're a dad. 🙂

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I hope it's something simple like that, but I'd still get it checked out. Many serious conditions are treatable if caught early, but often they aren't detected until it's too late because the early warning symptoms didn't seem that significant at the time. I've seen it go both ways with people I know - either someone got checked, found something, and treated it, or they didn't bother and it turned out to be too late to treat it.

If nothing else, get checked for your own peace of mind.

And because you're a dad. 🙂

Per my brother.  Maybe its just in our blood.

“Once a long time ago in MN. I was on my way back from Winona, MN. Last thing I remember was being in Red Wing then when I was aware again I was on a dirt road going through a cornfield.”

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Your mind went on timeout.  That's the way it reads for me. Overworking?

Bro I got tired reading the post describing your life.  Much less living it as you are.

Im not totally buying the fumes intoxication aspect  but I could be wrong.

Im calling that episode Odd and a sign from your body to slow down.

That's my best thoughts. Best to You in life you slacker.😛

lol

m

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You should have dropped by to say hello! I have walked home from The Battery before. Not because I was too drunk or blacked out, but when Uber let me down with no drivers.   :censored:

Good thing there are so few cars on 400, 285 and 75.  It’s “only” a dozen or so lanes along there. That’s a LONG way to go! We had a friend who took part of an ambien and went to bed. They thought all was fine until a friend reached out he next day and thanked him from dropping by. He had no recollection of ever leaving the house. That is some scary stuff! 

I recently had a conversation with my therapist about this.  It seems that this phenomenon can be explained, in part, by dissociation.  I recall long drives home from a stressful day at work or a busy day of grad classes, and forgetting the last 20 miles of my commute.  Totally lost in nothingness. The brain’s neurological coping mechanism.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I recently had a conversation with my therapist about this.  It seems that this phenomenon can be explained, in part, by dissociation.  I recall long drives home from a stressful day at work or a busy day of grad classes, and forgetting the last 20 miles of my commute.  Totally lost in nothingness. The brain’s neurological coping mechanism.

Gee... A really great time for the brain to cope while flying down the expressway @ 65 mph! 

I try to limit my dissociative fugues while doing less dangerous things like mowing my lawn or snow blowing... Yet those pesky blades and augers sure can get in the way! 😉 

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Gee... A really great time for the brain to cope while flying down the expressway @ 65 mph! 

I try to limit my dissociative fugues while doing less dangerous things like mowing my lawn or snow blowing... Yet those pesky blades and augers sure can get in the way! 😉 

Dissociation exists at many different levels/layers of consciousness.  Dissociative Fugue?  Easy Walter White 😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

My first dive bombing training flights in the single seat, (no back seater), A7E I was doing 45 degree dive bombing deliveries. You drop the practice bomb at about 3000', then do a four-five G pull to get about 60 degrees nose and back up to pattern altitude.

I couldn't figure out why I was knocking myself out every 4-5 G pull, then waking up after stopped pulling up and getting  back to 1 G, until I finally figured out that my G suit wasn't plugged into the aircraft.

Kind of a dumb, new guy, mistake, but I never told anybody.

• Shocked 2

12 hours ago, sherpa said:

My first dive bombing training flights in the single seat, (no back seater), A7E I was doing 45 degree dive bombing deliveries. You drop the practice bomb at about 3000', then do a four-five G pull to get about 60 degrees nose and back up to pattern altitude.

I couldn't figure out why I was knocking myself out every 4-5 G pull, then waking up after stopped pulling up and getting  back to 1 G, until I finally figured out that my G suit wasn't plugged into the aircraft.

Kind of a dumb, new guy, mistake, but I never told anybody.

And nobody died, so there was that too!  😋

21 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I started reading the OP and suddenly found myself at the end of this thread with no recollection of how I got here.  

Happens daily. 

You lucky bastard! 😂 

I’ve gone into a daze on my way to a destination. But I always went to where I was going. I think that is an important distinction here. @Royale with Cheese went randomly WAY out of his area, with no idea why. That’s very different, to me, than being forgetting the last few minutes of a boring drive. (Aliens has already been mentioned, so there’s that.) 

Funny story, when we lived in Hilton Head, SC I also worked in nearby Beaufort. We could hear the band from Paris Island, but unless you had a boat it was 45 minutes driving thru woods and marshes. Heading home one night I’m almost in one of those “states” when the car well in front of me suddenly swerves! YIKES! WHAT HAPPENED? She gets it back under control and I realize she just dodged a 10 foot alligator crossing the two lane road with marsh and water on both sides. It’s as wide as both lanes and it gets dicey on the shoulder! OH %$#^! Now I have to avoid it! I survived, and the thought of the face on the young lady who was driving behind me still makes me chuckle! 

On 2/27/2023 at 10:53 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I've been doing a lot of remodeling work in my house.  I'm currently doing my hall bathroom.  New vanity, tile, mirror, painting, shower etc....

Last night I was painting and I have to keep the door closed to have more room and reach all areas to paint.  I was in there about 90 minutes.  

After I got done, I was hungry and went to get some food.  An hour later, I was driving by Truist Park which is 35 miles from me.  Once I saw the stadium, I "woke up" and then was very confused.  How the hell did I get here?

I was awake, signaled when I changed lanes, kept a good speed...basically functioning like a driver should.  But I honestly don't know what made me pass all the restaurants, get on the highway and drive 35 miles.  

Is it possible that being in closed room painting could have caused this?  Maybe just pure fatigue?

I’m a bit confused here so permit me one question.  

The plan was to go to McD’s, grab some food, turn around and go home?  Should that be like 10 or 15 minutes round trip?  Or, was McD on the way to your next stop, planned route but you just sort of zone ld out for most of it? 

Ok, 3 questions +\-. 

On 2/27/2023 at 10:53 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Damn be careful bro 

sounds like classic alien abduction… how does your anus feel?

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Damn be careful bro 

sounds like classic alien abduction… how does your anus feel?

Can you count on one hand how many times you have asked that question? Unless you are a proctologist…….   🤷‍♂️

During the drought years I was listening so intently when national radio was finally talking about the bills, I entered an automatic car wash with my sunroof open…. My truck never smelled so good.

I’ve also overshot my exit on the Thruway by an exit or two while zoning out.

This seems different than those - like you temporarily entered another reality similar to  when Zay Jones wanted to fight for Jesus. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.