Could Bills tag/extend Poyer?

PromoTheRobot

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This is what happens when you never make any hard decisions and constantly bring everybody back on the defensive side of the ball. Plus rookies and young players never get developed.  Are Poyer and Edmunds the right guys to draw the line on?  I think I’d rather bring those 2 back than keep Oliver, Tre White, or Taron Johnson.  Settle too.  

Are you wanting to develop young players and rookies or bring Poyer back?

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

Is it possible to tag someone and then trade them?

Yes. The league doesn’t like it, but allows it - and it is within the rules. The problem is that the franchise tag is $14.46M for a safety. No one will trade for Poyer with that contract. The other option would be to use a transition tag and allow him to negotiate with other teams. Then we would have the option to match and keep him. $11.867M to do that.

I think even the TT is above what the Bills will pay for Poyer. I think they’ll do right by him and not tag him. They can let him see what he can get in FA and ask for a last look. I think the Bills part ways with him though - unless his injury drives down his price a lot more than I expect. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m not going to shed many tears when anyone of defensive side leaves. And that says a lot about Frazier’s (McD’s) scheme right there. Our defense doesn’t depend on standout, leave them on an island playmakers, but instead looks for team players who have the discipline to fill their assigned zone. In my opinion there’s no reason to break the bank for any of these guys…but we’ll see. 

• Simon changed the title to Could Bills tag/extend Poyer?
11 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Are you wanting to develop young players and rookies or bring Poyer back?

Not sure.  You can’t have 9 or 10 core players on the defensive side of the ball, but Poyer is probably in the 3-4 inner core for me so it’s a hard decision.  

1. Milano 2. Poyer 3. Hyde 4. Edmunds?  

White would be in there pre-ACL.  Obviously Miller given his contract.  Taron has a big contract for a slot CB.  Oliver has $10m guaranteed.  Dequan Jones? 

The defense has become a bloated mess.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not sure.  You can’t have 9 or 10 core players on the defensive side of the ball, but Poyer is probably in the 3-4 inner core for me so it’s a hard decision.  

White would be in there pre-ACL.  Obviously Miller given his contract.  Taron has a big contract for a slot CB.  Oliver has $10m guaranteed.  Dequan Jones? 

My point exactly. And it makes virtually no sense given the style of defense they play. 

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

My point exactly. And it makes virtually no sense given the style of defense they play. 

I hear ya.  One things for sure, McBeane will finally have to start making difficult roster decisions on the defensive side.  Extending every good/decent player on that side of the ball isn’t gonna get you to a Super Bowl.  My 1 caveat would be to not just keep who you already locked up and let edmunds/poyer walk if you think those 2 guys are more valuable than guys like Taron, Oliver, Settle, Tre, Hyde.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

Remember this post... Beane's going to sign BOTH Edmunds and Poyer! He realizes that the Bills D is not nearly the same without BOTH. Realizes they have NO replacement for EITHER. Poyer gets a front loaded 3 year $38M contract ($30M guaranteed). and Edmunds gets a 5 year $90M contract ($80M guaranteed. Both slightly less then market values, but both elect to stay.   Go Bills!!    

• Vomit 1

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/afc_notes_jordan_poyer_bills_jets_patriots/s1_17039_38478957

"Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post writes that Bills S Jordan Poyer is a candidate to be franchise-tagged by the team this offseason. The tag would be $14.46 million and give Buffalo until mid-July to work on an extension for the veteran Poyer, who turns 32 in April."

Does this make any sense?

Trying to create a market for Po???  Curious as what he will see on the free market.  32 is really peaking for a crackdown extra LB type safety.  I would rather see if we could wing something for this guy who is going into a contract year.  Winfield

Edited by fan_in_tx

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You're probably right about the 4 players, but if you are it's a huge problem.  Two coverage linebackers and two aging safeties being the core of a defense is poor roster construction. 

Ultimately, it all comes down to whether Von and Tre are back to their old (young) selves next year.  If that seems unlikely, it's probably time for a fire sale on that side of the ball. Getting younger and faster on defense can be done quickly.  It's just a matter of ripping off the band-aid.

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/afc_notes_jordan_poyer_bills_jets_patriots/s1_17039_38478957

"Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post writes that Bills S Jordan Poyer is a candidate to be franchise-tagged by the team this offseason. The tag would be $14.46 million and give Buffalo until mid-July to work on an extension for the veteran Poyer, who turns 32 in April."

$14.46MM on an aging S seems more like an emotional decision than an intellectual one

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Edmonds probably will be signed but that will take some cap gymnastics 

No special cap gymnastics will be necessary if they re-sign Edmunds (which I think is likely). It is pretty standard practice to minimize the first and second year cap hits on contracts that are 5 years or longer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don't think the Bills have any intention whatsoever of tagging/extending/signing Jordan Poyer. 

They've had the opportunity to work out a contract with him for some time, and you never got the impression the team was all that eager to do it.

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

No special cap gymnastics will be necessary if they re-sign Edmunds (which I think is likely). It is pretty standard practice to minimize the first and second year cap hits on contracts that are 5 years or longer. 

Yep. The 5/$100M deal that Roquan Smith just signed has his cap hit the next two years being $9M and $13M. We paid Edmunds almost $13M last season. They can get this done.

• Agree 1

Poyer, Edmunds, Phillips, Singletary and Jackson will all most likely not be in a Bills uniform next season.

I can't see more than one of the above re-signed.

Matakevich, Saffold, Keenum, Crowder and Klien all likely gone too.

I can see Boettger, Martin, Johnson, Dodson getting re-signed.  Lawson maybe too.

I don't see more than 1 or 2 decent sized (no big money) FAs signed this year.  I will have to hope for some decent round comp picks in 2024.

Beane is going to need them.

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep. The 5/$100M deal that Roquan Smith just signed has his cap hit the next two years being $9M and $13M. We paid Edmunds almost $13M last season. They can get this done.

Good example. I expect Edmunds contract to look an awful lot like the Roquan deal. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This is what happens when you never make any hard decisions and constantly bring everybody back on the defensive side of the ball. Plus rookies and young players never get developed.  Are Poyer and Edmunds the right guys to draw the line on?  I think I’d rather bring those 2 back than keep Oliver, Tre White, or Taron Johnson.  Settle too.  

When healthy Poyer is a better football player then Edmunds and Oliver.  And Tre White as well, if he looks next year like he did at the end of this season.  Settle was lousy this year.  And that was a big disappointment.  I am a big Poyer fan.  Sure he was not real good at the end of the year.  But if he can get well.  (Meniscus tear is not overly major in today's game) and will take a reasonable two year deal, (no guarantee) I would keep him and Taron Johnson, who makes a lot of tackles, and try and find replacements for the rest of the guys you mentioned.  

Poyer, his beautiful wife, and his loan shark agent chewing on a toothpick and flipping a nickel, (pictured here)a959f0f5-affa-4f5c-a938-94f8cc8d9903_tex

have all made the bat signal of “overpay me.”

Poyer made the case to be paid by being an iron man this season, and not holding out preseason. His media postulation and his wife’s social media have played their parts perfectly. He comes off looking wronged and undervalued. Hats off to the bull. Rosenhaus has completed the sweep and the FO looks duped. 

On 2/16/2023 at 9:25 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

no makes no sense. Bills would need to clear cap space for that 14.46 million and Poyer then holds the cards. He could threaten to sign it and lock in that Bills cap hit for one year at 14.46 mill or hold out for deal to his liking while Bills nervously wait to see what he does and hamstring them on other moves as this ties up much needed cap space to get better where more needed.  Like O line.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.