Cowboys looking for an OC - part ways with Moore

Big Blitz

Moore isn't the problem. The team was winning even with Cooper Rush at QB. They were 5-1 against teams like the Giants, Bengals, Commanders, and Vikings. Moore was calling those games to put him in a position to succeed. The only game they lost was against the Eagles. Dak is a problem and his turnovers. Jerry is a problem and his building of the roster on offense. Moore is a scapegoat, but I also believe this is going to have a two-fold effect. I have a feeling Payton is not going to take a job this cycle. If McCarthy fails while calling the plays then he will be out next year. Some people tend to think the job will be Quinn's and that's why he hasn't left yet, but I believe in the back of Jerry's mind he could still be angling to get Sean Payton in there. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Malazan said:

Yea, Dallas has a slightly different problem. They're too loyal to their "GM"

Remember how the Roman Empire took care of GM Julius Caesar on the ides of March. 🤔😁

Maybe the Patriots can spare Matt Patricia to replace Moore? 🤔

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

Just now, ngbills said:

Has more experience. Basically has a top 10 offense every year with a less talented QB. 9 out of 10 teams would be hiring Moore over Dorsey for an open job. 

Dorsey has a top 2 offense every year.

57 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Cowboys were 4th in scoring offense this season (and 5th in scoring defense).  Usually when a team is statistically that solid yet underperforms (and did they underperform? Not really. The Eagles and Niners were clearly better), it’s the head coach that gets fired. 

How many head coaches do you know have been fired with a top 5 defense and top 5 offense in the same season?

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Here's yet more evidence of how franchises that expect to win handle "successful" or "winning" seasons...

Dallas didn't exactly have a bad year, and here they are, firing a coordinator.

The Bills should take note.

True. The Cowboys got better as the season progressed, and they were pretty clearly the 3rd best team in the NFC. It’s just that this is Philly’s year (and not SF’s now for obvious reasons). 
Hmm, clearly the third best in their conference. I wonder what other team fits that description?

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Dorsey has a top 2 offense every year.

How many head coaches do you know have been fired with a top 5 defense and top 5 offense in the same season?

1 year vs 4 years. Dorsey inherited a top 5 offense that got worse as the season went on. Moore inherited an inconsistent offense that became a top 5 offense. 

Allen or Dorsey? Clearly a downward trend:

image.png.00b26bf4ed1a45259367f7228aaef9e0.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ngbills said:

1 year vs 4 years. Dorsey inherited a top 5 offense that got worse as the season went on. Moore inherited an inconsistent offense that became a top 5 offense. 

Offense actually improved in areas as the season went on. Redzone started bad but improved. Allen also was injured. 

But no excuses needed. You want to fire a 1st year OC after having the #2 scoring and yards offense in the NFL.

Makes zero sense at all. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Offense actually improved in areas as the season went on. Redzone started bad but improved. Allen also was injured. 

But no excuses needed. You want to fire a 1st year OC after having the #2 scoring and yards offense in the NFL.

Makes zero sense at all. 

#2 despite Dorsey in my opinion. You had Josh Allen and a defense that played well much of the season. That is a recipe for good offensive stats. But when you watch the games you could see the inconsistency, lack of creativity and just a lot of questions. 

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

#2 despite Dorsey in my opinion. You had Josh Allen and a defense that played well much of the season. That is a recipe for good offensive stats. But when you watch the games you could see the inconsistency, lack of creativity and just a lot of questions. 

They never played a consistent game, definitely agree. I think there were many factors for it.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Cowboys were 4th in scoring offense this season (and 5th in scoring defense).  Usually when a team is statistically that solid yet underperforms (and did they underperform? Not really. The Eagles and Niners were clearly better), it’s the head coach that gets fired. 

I disagree the Cowboys almost beat the Eagles in Philly with Cooper Rush…this is on Mike McCarthy who is looking to keep his job and is making Kellen Moore the scapegoat for losing in Frisco 

24 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

Kellen Moore didn't last long on the market, going to LA Chargers as OC.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chargers-expected-to-hire-ex-cowboys-oc-kellen-moore-as-new-offensive-coordinato

I kind of feel sorry for Justin Herbert TBH.  I don't think Moore is the man to craft a great offense from what the Chargers have.

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

McCarthy wants to be the play caller as he honestly believes he can fix Daks issues.

Moore is a great young mind. Moore working with Josh would be something but McDermott would never hire him as he would be a threat to his job. Sean only wants assistants who are no threat to his employment

You know I didn't think of it that way.

Another underperforming season from McShottenheimer, he could easily be fired and Moore would slide in and give us the Offensive Minded coach that Allen needs.

What is the point of giving Dorsey on the job training only to have him leave here for another coaching job ?  Then we would have to start all over at OC.

Moore would stay as HC and give Josh the stability that he needs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

You know I didn't think of it that way.

Another underperforming season from McShottenheimer, he could easily be fired and Moore would slide in and give us the Offensive Minded coach that Allen needs.

What is the point of giving Dorsey on the job training only to have him leave here for another coaching job ?  Then we would have to start all over at OC.

Moore would stay as HC and give Josh the stability that he needs.

McDermott isn’t going to hire a coach who is a threat to his job…if he hires a young up and coming OC and the defense goes belly up at the end of the season like it does every year under McDermott going back to the 16-0 collapse in Houston…someone will be the fall guy and it would most likely be him. 
Sean is very protective of his spot Leslie and Ken are absolutely no threat to his employment and he likes it that way. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

He would be a huge upgrade to dorsey

3 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I would swap Dorsey for Moore in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. 

Why?

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Has more experience. Basically has a top 10 offense every year with a less talented QB. 9 out of 10 teams would be hiring Moore over Dorsey for an open job. 

OC for 4 years

Offensive rank those 4 years 6, 17, 1 and 4

Rush yards 5, 17, 9, and 9

Very different offensive structure, based on running the ball and getting lots of YAC.

I dunno about those 9 out of 10 teams, but we'll never know because we'll never have a situation where Dorsey vs. Moore is the choice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.